PDA

View Full Version : Thank you Nightwalker...

Huntress
10th Sep 2002, 06:30
Your email has been Taffed back...and Never, never could I have come up with those numbers! Ta and Good Hunting!

Huntress
10th Sep 2002, 12:51
The last door was much easier...fortunately I had read the discussion about the one puzzle number thing...but the other three were easy to figure out myself :) I ended with about $193 short of total money found...so I did reasonably OK for me...I didn't go after the two bottles in the Inn cause I didn't want to hassle for them. Don't know what else I missed..maybe the Hotel had some I guess. I looked at the recessed area and wondered about being able to get over there...apparently you can by jumping over as I read later afterwards but I didn't feel like treking back over to do it. So all in all, a pretty good game as I said earlier but a few spots could have been made a little different I think...not so difficult in that last room business mainly. But a very good effort on Thorin's part to put it together none-the-less :)

So now I'm working on one of the contest enteries...Old Debts, Old Commrades...boy is this one tough! I've managed to pick the health potion finally and got up through hatch...seemingly for nothing though...as I got that objective crossed off (to find a way out) but a new one to find a better way out. Have not found picks yet...and even though there was all kinds of stuff written about well...I could not get in. I tried getting upstairs inside building but can't seem to do it without getting caught..so I'm kindof stuck right now to figure out what I'm supposed to do in this part? Saw the children's ghosts and when I climbed out of hatch, the girl said "Watch Out" and they disappeared. I tried also to climb into window from outside to see if I could find something inside..but can't get in there either :(

Nightwalker
10th Sep 2002, 14:04
OCOD is a beautiful mission, but it's also very difficult. Once you get up into the attic, you need to sneak over to the table at the far end, read the book and open the box. Your lockpicks are in there. After you've read the stuff up here, a key appears in the room with the tipped over holy fountain in the room on the next level down. It opens the locked door on the lowest level. :)

I'm glad I could help out with that code for Diary. Not everyone is good at math, including me! :)

Huntress
11th Sep 2002, 02:53
When he comes out of the door and I'm having to get into corner to open it again and get inside over to stairs...even to that little alcove next to them...he always see's me :-( Then when I did get up once with him whacking at me...there's another one that comes in from the other door from outside and he got me too! I can't seem to find anyplace to hide safely inside? I want my BJ! :eek: ! I'll give it somemore tries but I may have to end up calling it a day. It's just a bit too tough for me I think? Ta and Good Hunting!

Nightwalker
11th Sep 2002, 02:55
If it's getting frustrating, it's best to just give up on it. It is a game, after all, right? LOL! That part is very difficult and I must admit it took me quite a few tries to get the lockpicks and get the chests by the guard open without getting caught. I REALLY wanted my BJ!:D

Huntress
11th Sep 2002, 03:36
he said the "best" way to play this is to ghost it, LOL...but do you eventually get any weapons or is this played entirely without? That will help make my mind up whether or not I go back to it very much. Don't know why he had to make it so darn hard. He may not have had time to make different levels of difficulty but why did he have to select Expert play mode? :( I think that was a bad choice if he wanted many to play it! Well thanks again and will wait your next reply to make a decision regarding game. Ta and Good Hunting! :)

Nightwalker
11th Sep 2002, 03:53
There are no weapons available at all in the mission. I liked it, but it's not for everyone, that's for sure. :)

Huntress
11th Sep 2002, 04:27
Well that just about will do it for me. I may give it another try or two since I have it loaded but don't think I'm going to expend that much time and energy into it then. Too bad :( Thanks again for info and catch ya later. Ta and Good Hunting!

Huntress
11th Sep 2002, 07:32
Only with your helpful tips made it a lot easier to find things so I didn't have to run around endlessly trying to find all this stuff! I decided to give it my best shot and see if I could make it work somehow.
My only recourse it seemed was to use distractions as I'm sure that's what you all had to do as well. But I took one of the blocks and tossed it out the door of the cell area against the big crate so he would go out on a search. He did and I managed to get to his door and out to the stairwell to hide for the next run up to the attic. After some tries I managed to get the stuff up there and book read. The first time I tried to get book he spotted me but I read it all anyway to see what it said and when I closed it he killed me. So then later when I got to it again, I didn't have to take time to read it but closed and immediately backed up away safely. But then, then...I had one heck of a time trying to open chest next to him. After dying many times..I finally got the brainstorm to get into stairwell again and use bell for distraction. The only problem was he came running over but didn't stay to give me time to go in the opposite direction to get over where he was. Soooo, just for the h3ll of it, I kept ringing it and he would keep running over...which was kindof funny...but then I noticed he would return to a place further away from where he started. So then at the appropriate time I ran over and by him and got into that little area/hall and from there I managed to get chest open. Is that how you did it also? I could see no other way. So I got all the loot that was to be had. Only 2 of 4 pockets and took 6 damage in dynamite blowup...this again after dying a couple of times to see where I needed to be and what to do after first explosion. That was quite some fire works and really a well made map like you said :) I can't say I would like to do more of this kind as I'm not a ghoster...but as it turned out, glad I decided to give it another try. So now ready for another one and/or get back to Deus Ex again. :) Thanks again for hot leads and see ya later around Ye Ole Burrick Inn :D Ta and Good Hunting!

Bukary
12th Dec 2002, 23:58
Originally posted by Huntress
he said the "best" way to play this is to ghost it, LOL...
Yes, it is in fact the best way to play this FM. It's simply the safest way. ;)

Don't know why he had to make it so darn hard.
Belive me: it was much, much more difficult before beta-testing phase. :) But I changed a lot since then. You do not have to climb ut the hatch (although this is the best way). You can also sneak through the guard in the basement. It just requires timing. Everything will be also much easier if you try the well "route". Just jump into the well.

He may not have had time to make different levels of difficulty but why did he have to select Expert play mode? :(
All I can say is: "Blame Komag!" :) The area was so small that I had to make it difficult. Otherwise you would have finished this mission in less that 5 minutes. (My time is something about 4-5 minutes right now). :) And that's why I couldn't give you a blackjack, too. Although I was planning to place an easter egg in this FM: I wanted player to take shovel from the attic and dig blackjack out near the main gate outside. :)

Thanks for playing my mission, Huntress! And sorry for late reply.

amievil?
13th Dec 2002, 01:31
huntress, thats an interesting approach to how you went through the mission. distractions, i tried that in the beginning but always kept getting killed so i went into ghost mode which made things easier.

bukary, i personally found that unlocking both gates was easier than the well route but i guess everyone plays a little different. in the beginning when heard all the footsteps i thought it would be really difficult but almost slapped myself when i noticed there were only three guards. i thought hey i can ghost this enough to win. i must confess i had to do a search to find the ringmasters key though :o

Peter_Smith
13th Dec 2002, 04:13
Thanks for stopping in Bukary.:)

In defense of Bukary, I would not say the mission is too difficult. As ghosting goes, it is straight sneaking, but it does keep you constantly on your toes, that's for sure. I thought the mission was beautifu to look at and the gameplay was really outstanding. It well deserved the accolades it received.

Even if you bust the ghost and alert some AI, there are plenty of dark places to hide unless they start chasing you. Even if they chase you, I think the storeroom and the well are two places that they cannot get to you. That said, I understand that stealthy play is not everyone's cup of tea. Congratulations, Huntress, on finding a way through it. :)

So, now that I have buttered you up, Bukary, when is your next mission coming out? :D

Nightwalker
13th Dec 2002, 04:52
Unfortunately, Bukary recently announced at TTLG that he is leaving the Thief community, except for possible short stops at the forum, at least for the time being. We can only hope that he comes back to us in the future, time permitting. His OCOD showed a great deal of talent as a mission designer.

Peter_Smith
13th Dec 2002, 06:07
Too bad.:(

Huntress
13th Dec 2002, 07:50
Well I see this older post was ressurected and just wanted to add my disappointment to see that Bukary was no longer going to make any FM's (at least for the time being anyway I hope as well? :( ) I did see his post at TTLG recently and was sorry to find that out...We can only hope he changes his mind as OTHERS have :D Saturnine comes to mind at the moment ;) As a side note...I never did find that well you keep talking about...the only well I saw I couldn't get into??? Ta and Good Hunting!

Peter_Smith
13th Dec 2002, 08:50
As I think about it more, you are probably right about the well. It's been a while since I played it. I seem to recall some other deep water near the well, though, where you can swim down but find nothing....

Bukary
13th Dec 2002, 11:43
Originally posted by Nightwalker
Unfortunately, Bukary recently announced at TTLG that he is leaving the Thief community, except for possible short stops at the forum, at least for the time being. We can only hope that he comes back to us in the future, time permitting. His OCOD showed a great deal of talent as a mission designer.
Thank you, Nightwalker! What can I say?
There are two main reasons of my "leaving":
A) My wife was suffering from my Thief addiction.
B) I was proposed to assume a job at the Jagiellonian University (as a teacher), therefore I have to publish some articles about romantcism and I don't have much time now.

Originally posted by Huntress
As a side note...I never did find that well you keep talking about...the only well I saw I couldn't get into???
There is a well (and rope) outside. You can jump in there (simply run and press 'jump' key), find Vilmor's body (he wanders around the chapel as ghost) and swim right to the pond at the back of the chapel.

Originally posted by Peter Smith
Even if you bust the ghost and alert some AI, there are plenty of dark places to hide unless they start chasing you. Even if they chase you, I think the storeroom and the well are two places that they cannot get to you.
Yes, those are safe places. One more tip. Remember: it's winter time. The pond's edge is icy. You can always try to drown a gurd. It's possible! :D

So, now that I have buttered you up, Bukary, when is your next mission coming out? :D
I was planning to build "The Cartographer's Note" FM (based on H. P. Lovecraft books). It would take place in a) a small town or village on some island, b) some underwater, "lost" city, c) gold mine and d) haunted hotel (all on/in the same island). I even figured out how to do some tricks with Garrett using ferryboats to travel between some areas (I wanted to use this at least once). My aim was to create gorgeous, autumn village at night. But, as I said before, I do not have time... :(

But if you liked OCOD, you might want to play my old demo. Here's what I wrote at TTLG forum:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As you probably know I was forced to leave Thief milieu for some time. :(
So I decided to present you with one more (farewell) "gift".
While working on "Old Comrades, Old Debts" (in May) I created another .mis file where I tested some effects for this contest mission and my next-to-be FM, "The Cartographer's Note".
This demo (DL-ready) was not supposed to leave my hard drive, but some persons told me that it would be nice to let you see this.
Therefore I will send epithumia "Mistrz FX" demo and you will be able to download the file (1,89 MB) soon.

What's the story? Garret forgot to take one of the lockpicks from his house. He has to return there...

Objectives:
1) Return to your house.
2) Get your lockpick back.
3) [New] Kill some ugly f***.

What will you see? It's a suprise. But here are some screenshots:

http://republika.pl/ttaforum/Bukary/trup.jpg

http://republika.pl/ttaforum/Bukary/ogien.jpg

My advice is to push/pull every possible switch/lever.

Of course, it is not an FM. It's my private demo, created for internal purposes, not to please your eyes or give you much fun. Those are only "sketches" for OCOD (as you will probably notice, Garrett's house is - for example - the "sketch" of chapel building in OCOD). So don't expect much. But I think it might be nice for some of you to see how OCOD idea evolved. As a matter fact, this demo is OCOD in developement. If you're bored with OCOD, if you hate those thieves, try this one out! No winter, no AIs, no ghosts! I promise! ;)

And one more thing: it's in Polish. Sorry. I simply didn't change anything in this file since May. But language is really unimportant here.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can download it from here (http://thief.math.uh.edu/missions/MistrzFX.zip).

Have fun! :)