PDA

View Full Version : Defeating Dysley at the palamecia

VRTXRaptor-696634
23rd Dec 2012, 11:00
I'm having trouble beating Dysley and I would like some help

My team is lightning, Hope and Vanille

I have lightning on commando and the other two on medic, unless on gets KO'd then I put them all on medic and I revive the downed character manually. If they both get downed or were all on very low health then I use Summon.

I can get past all the 4 heads with relative ease, but when I start fighting Dysley himself, he puts Doom on me and his health is barely below 3/4, i'm even spamming him with commando and two ravagers.

Is there anyway to get rid of Doom or a faster way to defeat him?

DerekMaverick
23rd Dec 2012, 11:08
Hope is a synergist and has the ability Haste, use that to speed up the rate your ATB charges. Synergist is really an extremely helpful role. He can also cast buffs that increase your strength and defense. Hope this helps!

Zench-XIII
23rd Dec 2012, 11:08
You can always try a different party, or change the Paradigms you're using with your current party. As long as you make proper use of the Paradigm Shift, you can beat Superpope before he casts Doom.

VRTXRaptor-696634
23rd Dec 2012, 11:16
Hope is a synergist and has the ability Haste, use that to speed up the rate your ATB charges. Synergist is really an extremely helpful role. He can also cast buffs that increase your strength and defense. Hope this helps!

Thanks, i'll try this.

picamaispi29
23rd Dec 2012, 11:35
Two good strageties are located here (http://www.bukisa.com/articles/261497_final-fantasy-xiii-palamecia-boss-guide-primarch-barthandelus-form-1) and here (http://www.gamerzines.com/guides/final-fantasy-xiii-barthandelus-palamecia-boss-battle.html). Basically, debuffs help a lot. Another thing that not many people seem to know is that you should keep attacking as he is charging up his really damaging attack (not use a sentinel as most guides say to do) because the more damage you do to him when he is charging it, the less damage it does to you. If you manage to do enough, you can even stop him from using it at all. Also, make sure your crystarium is leveled up.

member_10687105
24th Dec 2012, 12:42
tl/dr: Lightning/Vanille/Hope is fine, but you need to be more aggressive. Make sure to use Tri-disaster and Smart Bomb alongside Relentless Assault and Discretion, take out the heads as fast as possible, and keep the pressure on Barthandelus. Alternately, use Lightning/Sazh/Vanille with a Doctor's Code and Potions for the easiest non-Shrouded approach.

Two good strageties are located here (http://www.bukisa.com/articles/261497_final-fantasy-xiii-palamecia-boss-guide-primarch-barthandelus-form-1) and here (http://www.gamerzines.com/guides/final-fantasy-xiii-barthandelus-palamecia-boss-battle.html).

Sorry, I wouldn't call either of those strategies good, although they look functional. However, they're both using Lightning/Fang/Hope, and that's a pretty bad party for this fight.

You're absolutely right about Destrudo, though. Specifically, dealing 12,000 damage within 30 seconds will cause Barthandelus to flinch, and reduce Destrudo's damage from ~1200 per character to ~700 per character. Dealing another 20,000 damage within 15 seconds of the first flinch will make him launch Destrudo immediately, and weaken it to a mere ~340 damage per character.

Hope does not yet have Haste, or Bravery, or Faith, or any of the En-spells. He has only defensive buffs at this point in the game.

The best party, by far, for taking on Barthandelus is Lightning/Sazh/Vanille. Sazh has Haste, Bravery, Faith, and Enfire/Enfrost/Enthunder/Enwater. Vanille has Deprotect, Deshell, and Imperil. Bravery + Deprotect + Imperil + Enfire = 530% of your normal Commando damage before considering the chain gauge. With Barthandelus's chain around 350-400%--which is where it will be right after stagger--Lightning and Sazh can output more than 20x their normal damage while Vanille continues to raise the chain gauge (which further raises their damage). Nothing else comes close to this kind of damage potential at this point.

VRTXRaptor, your party of Lightning/Hope/Vanille is the second best party. Hope's defensive buffing does make it significantly easier to survive most attacks (Destrudo is a MAJOR exception, since it ignores Protect and Shell). However, without Sazh's buffs, you're limited to only 189% of your normal damage, which is around one-third of the damage you could deal with Sazh (it's slightly better than that, especially since you can raise the chain faster, but still nowhere close).

These are the only two parties that I can recommend in good conscience. Everyone else is just worse at dealing with Destrudo and the other hidden timers in the fight.

As for strategy, your current approach can definitely use improvement. First off, equipment. There are two Rune Bracelets that you hopefully picked up outside of Barthandelus's room. If not, I recommend going up and getting them (they're on the top tier of platforms, right side as you face the bottom). These are cheap to max out--4380XP will do it--and 20% magical defense makes a huge difference in the fight. Give two characters a maxed Rune Bracelet, and the third character a Gold Bangle (bottom tier, left side). Give Lightning your best +Strength accessory, Hope your best +Magic, and Vanille your second best +Magic.

I recommend these paradigms:

(Lightning/Vanille/Hope)
1. Rav/Sab/Syn -- Guerrilla (default)
2. Rav/Sab/Rav -- Smart Bomb
3. Com/Rav/Rav -- Relentless Assault
4. Rav/Rav/Rav -- Tri-disaster
5. Com/Med/Syn -- Hero's Charge
6. Com/Med/Med -- Discretion

Start by tossing a Librascope. Stay in Guerrilla just long enough for Hope to cast Shell on everyone while you target the Left Ailette, then use Smart Bomb to stagger and Relentless Assault to kill off the heads. Try to wait on healing until you're in-between heads. When possible, heal with Hero's Charge to give Hope a head start on Protect, but if you're below half HP, use Discretion for faster recovery. After you kill the Left Ailette, take out the Right Pauldron. Take the other two in either order; saving these two for last causes Lightning to use physical RAV attacks, creating separation between her and the kids when the heads are using AoE attacks.

Try to stay aggressive while taking out the heads. They upgrade their spells as you kill them off, but they also upgrade them if you give them too much time. It's bad enough having one head casting Waterga at you; three heads casting Blizzaga, Thundaga, and Waterga is absolutely deadly (especially if they're Hasted and Faithed....). Take them out before things get to that point.

Once it's just you and Barty, make sure everyone has Protect and Shell, and then focus on debuffing (Smart Bomb) and staggering (Tri-disaster). As long as Vanille has inflicted Imperil, Tri-disaster is a better post-stagger damage dealing paradigm than Relentless Assault if you manually enter 4 Sparkstrike attacks and keep repeating that string (Sparkstrike-Aquastrike-Sparkstrike-Aquastrike is slightly superior if you can enter it quickly).

Destrudo is fairly easy to deal with if Barthandelus is fully debuffed when he uses it (Deprotect, Deshell, and Imperil). Just use a round of Discretion to quickly heal up, a round of Relentless Assault to stabilize the chain, and then pound him with Tri-disaster. If he's missing debuffs, try using Smart Bomb for two rounds after Discretion. If the debuffs stick within this time, you should be able to get both reductions with Tri-disaster. Otherwise, use Relentless Assault to get the first reduction, make sure you're healed enough to take the ~700 damage, and work on inflicting the remaining debuffs. And of course, heal up in Discretion afterward.

After each Destrudo, you have 60 seconds to stagger and deal serious damage before he resets the chain with the next Destrudo. You should be able to take out Barthandelus within 2-3 Destrudo cycles, well under the 20 minutes mark when he casts Doom. Here's a vid where I demonstrate this strategy: http://youtu.be/VVSll9dEy0o

If you want a more detailed analysis of the fight, including a setup and walkthrough (and video link) for the Lightning/Sazh/Vanille party, see this thread: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/928790-final-fantasy-xiii/62610125

If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

t~

VRTXRaptor-696634
24th Dec 2012, 15:15
Thanks, i'll try using Sazh instead, I think I should try maxing out the characters aswell before I re-attempt him again.

DerekMaverick
2nd Jan 2013, 19:59
tl/dr: Lightning/Vanille/Hope is fine, but you need to be more aggressive. Make sure to use Tri-disaster and Smart Bomb alongside Relentless Assault and Discretion, take out the heads as fast as possible, and keep the pressure on Barthandelus. Alternately, use Lightning/Sazh/Vanille with a Doctor's Code and Potions for the easiest non-Shrouded approach.

Two good strageties are located here (http://www.bukisa.com/articles/261497_final-fantasy-xiii-palamecia-boss-guide-primarch-barthandelus-form-1) and here (http://www.gamerzines.com/guides/final-fantasy-xiii-barthandelus-palamecia-boss-battle.html).

Sorry, I wouldn't call either of those strategies good, although they look functional. However, they're both using Lightning/Fang/Hope, and that's a pretty bad party for this fight.

To each their own, but I used Lightning/Fang/Hope for this battle and the next two as well and they worked pretty well. I loved taking down Barthandelus with them and it was always so easy and satisfying. I think Fang's sentinal role helps quite a bit in reducing damage from ultima.

member_10687105
3rd Jan 2013, 08:51
***spoilers ahead***

When you say "this battle and the next two", are you talking about the three Barthandelus encounters, or are you talking about the final boss sequence with Barthandelus, Orphan, and Orphan II? Because if you're talking about the latter (and commenting on Ultima suggests that you are), then you have the wrong fight for the thread, but I'll agree that L/F/H is a great party for those fights.

If you're talking about the three Barthandelus fights, well, I stand by my analysis that L/F/H is weak against the first Barthandelus, and I'll add that they're only mediocre against the second Barthandelus. Yes, you can make L/F/H function in these encounters, but it's faster and easier to use Vanille and Sazh (+Lightning against the first, +Hope or Lightning vs. the second depending on development).

To back up my criticsm of the linked L/F/H strategies, I'll note that both recommend being at or near maxed out in the Crystarium, and they both discuss the possibility of Doom (implying that the fight can easily last 20 minutes), the possible need for summoning Odin, the "need" for tanking to survive Destrudo, and the difficulty of staggering Barthandelus. The last two points are predictable issues for the party: L/F/H struggles to reduce Destrudo's damage. Heal and tank is the only other option, and it requires high base HP to work, which contributes to the need for high Crystarium development. As for staggering, Fang's lack of Ravager is what hurts here. You just can't stagger as quickly with only two Ravagers. With minimal stagger time, lots of extra healing time (due to high damage Destrudos), no Bravery/Faith, no Deprotect/Deshell, and no Imperil + Enfire, it's no wonder the party takes an extremely long time to deal the required damage.

By contrast, I can take a L/V/Sz party that is much less developed (about 300 HP and 60 stat points below max for each character) and consistently win in under 6 minutes. With three Ravagers and Imperil, staggering Barthandelus is relatively quick, and having full offensive buffs and debuffs allows me to really apply the pain when I have him staggered. Those buffs and debuffs also make it easy to double reduce Destrudo, to the point that a single (Doctor's Code enhanced) Potion undoes almost all of the damage.

t~

DerekMaverick
4th Jan 2013, 14:56
Shoot you're right I do have the wrong fight! I was thrown off with Ultima and doom. I can't believe I made such a mistake, my apologies. And you did have some very accurate assessments because I did indeed use Light/Fang/Hope for the rest of the game, and this to my memory was annoying using Odin.