PDA

View Full Version : Who is to blame?

Salem4
9th Sep 2002, 14:22
I wonder who is to blame for the delay of Hitman 2. I am usually a understanding person, but when it is delayed such strongly as in this case, i get a little irritaded.

So i wonder. Who is to blame?

Is it IOI for not planning the time any good?
Is it Eidos for bad marketing or tax issues or something like that?
Or is it because IOI had to build the game engine from scratch to make it compatible with those darn consoles?

I guess the last one, and that gets me even more angry when it comes to consoles, espesially Playstation 2, which probably was the biggest problem to make it work with.

Zaphod
10th Sep 2002, 06:38
Who's to blame? In this case, I think "no one," really.

Games almost NEVER hit their release date. Developers have to make their dates aggressive, yet realistic, in order to meet their contracts with the publishers. Publishers don't want to fund something that's going to be in developement for 5 years, but they also don't want to put something out on the street that doesn't work or isn't enjoyable. So it's a balancing act.

Realistically, Hitman2's problems are still well within the realm of "normal delays." I don't think this is anything that most games don't go through before release.

Muzman
10th Sep 2002, 07:59
Someone was spouting stuff about a multiplayer mode being tacked on by a third party dev' group. Sounds like bollox to me though.

Saba
11th Sep 2002, 02:24
It's true we can't really point any fingers at anyone in particular, but I think the suggestion that Hitman 2's delays are "well within" the "realm of 'normal delays'" is not a good excuse.

First the game was delayed six months, and then, to keep us on our toes, they had to throw on three more weeks. I was pretty well prepared for this, though, considering Eidos's track record and Zaph's cat's predictions.

But let's first consider some other "model" developers when it comes to release dates... Take Monolith, for example. No One Lives Forever 2 is going to be out on the first of October, long before the December release date I was anticipating. And they've already got a 50 MB "Preview Version" out and a demo in the works.

I think the only thing we can attribute this to is the simple, blatantly obvious fact that Eidos is not a trustworthy company when it comes to release dates, and thus we should never accept them as easily. Throw on a year or two next time.

corseque
12th Sep 2002, 08:02
It is considered normal not just in game production but in any programming to give estimated release dates that rarely can be reached. One of the best surprises for me was that Medieval: total war really was released on the day that was anounced on the official web site months in advance. One of the worse examples is Hidden&Dangerous 2 which was to be released in "1st quarter 2002". Outcast 2 has been suspended completely but "not cancelled". So a few weeks delay really isn't that bad if the game is as near of completion as Hitman 2. I asked about Hitman 2 in my local game store and they said it is on the shelves 27th this month. I believe it when I see it.

Saba
13th Sep 2002, 02:00
C'mon, c'mon Zaphod, tell us what your cat foresees!

Catman
13th Sep 2002, 12:52
Maybe we should start a pool -- whoever guesses closest to the correct date gets a cookie. :D

I guess October 1st.

Mike_B
13th Sep 2002, 14:31
Originally posted by Catman
Maybe we should start a pool -- whoever guesses closest to the correct date gets a cookie. :D

I guess October 1st.

I go for 27 september

Saba
14th Sep 2002, 18:55
Hey! I said the 27th first! WAH!

Fine--October 3.

Fetch
3rd Oct 2002, 20:04
I guess Catman can give himself a cookie :)

I must say, I'm glad that IOI wasn't forced to rush H2 out the door like Eidos made them do with H1. Last time around, it resulted in approximately half the levels not being completed (anyone remember the HORRIBLE jump from Hotel to Hospital??) and bugs galor.

I'm glad the console port was done. Unlike some games, Hitman seems to be a good match, complexity-wise, with the console gaming systems.

Saba
4th Oct 2002, 02:21
Yeah, now we're all glad that Eidos didn't rush the game, but one or two months ago we were raving mad. I'm looking forward to some good missions in Hitman 2; the first game lacked any, besides Hong Kong and Traditions of the Trade. Everything else was a dark, stormy, tangled, confusing mess.