PDA

View Full Version : Greece bans all electronic gaming!

Umah Bloodomen
8th Sep 2002, 23:33
I didn't believe it either. Check this out:

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5292

Lady Kreliana
9th Sep 2002, 01:09
WTF?

Man, that sucks! My sympathies to Grecian gamers.

Angel of Music
10th Sep 2002, 16:56
"Our motto here, If it's not Scottish, it's CRAP!!" -- Mike Myers, SNL

This new Grecian law is most definately not Scottish........I sincerely hope this is not a fad that will catch on. The prospect bothers me greatly. I am sure that this little bit of stupidity will be just like prohibition in the 1920's. As soon as the lawmakers realize their inability to enforce this law, it will go away.

Time Streamer
10th Sep 2002, 18:01
That sucks, big time. This is what happens when laws are rushed and not thoroughly considered.

The Lamb
10th Sep 2002, 21:29
There was a Greek bloke on Radio4 the other day who openly admitted to playing a video game twenty minutes before his interview. They never mentioned what happened to him afterwards, or whether he's in jail.

Heh, they can't really enforce the law, so it doesn't really matter. And I bet the black market is jumping with joy at the chance to ship The Sims: Painting the Garage and doing some Spring Cleaning edition!

Those Greek bureaucrats must be really eager to fill their jails, wjat with arresting plane spotters and gamboy owners. You know, the law is age independant, so a six year old playing Mario: COLLACT TEH SHINEEY STARS1!!!1 can face a lengthy jail sentence and a large fine... So beware playing snakes on your nokia!

Lady Kreliana
11th Sep 2002, 03:00
I heard elsewhere that this law is only to effect arcades. Apparantly, Grecian arcades have repeatedly ignored government warnings about illegal gambling machines, so the government shut them down. The law's not to effect the console market.

Riovanes
11th Sep 2002, 14:07
The law states, "...in all places, public and private..." Private places mean homes... And electronic gaming means video games... So, unfortunately it is going to affect the console market...

But, much like prohibition, the idiots in power will realize they can't bust into every home in Greece and yank the PS2 or Xbox or whatever out of the wall, and the law will die. It just sucks that they were stupid enough to write such un-enforceable crap in the first place.

BAH!!!

Lady Kreliana
11th Sep 2002, 15:56
All places public and private? Dang, I guess my information was wrong.

THen, it still sucks for Greek gamers.

I like your prohibition analogy, Rio. Very fitting.

Riovanes
11th Sep 2002, 18:46
Hey, no sweat. There's a lot of rumors flying around about the law right now, but I've actually read the thing, so... well, whatever that's worth, I dunno.

Of course, you KNOW if something like this happened in America we'd have to throw down and beat some government booty... But our lawmakers hopefully learned their lesson with prohibition... If we wish to addle our minds with video-gamey goodness, it is our RIGHT to do so!

BAH!!!

Sade Lyrate
11th Sep 2002, 19:24
Personally, when hearing about this for the first time, my reaction was the
same as when I ran into some interesting snippets out of law books..."WTF?"

Beware! If this thing gets epidemic, soon we'll all have laws that forbid pushing
a living moose out of a plane...or awaking a sleeping bear for photographing...
or shooting game out of a moving car (unless the game in question is a
whale)...;)

(...laws mentioned above can be found in some law books of the USA... apologies for 'bad taste'...)

blincoln
11th Sep 2002, 21:15
This law has already been ruled unconstitutional by a Greek court =).

Lady Kreliana
12th Sep 2002, 02:43
Originally posted by blincoln
This law has already been ruled unconstitutional by a Greek court =).

Yay!

Insanity
12th Sep 2002, 02:53
When did that Happen Blincoln? I read about the law last week, it was in the news. I even signed their petition even though I'm not Greek.

Apparently, the lawmakers were upset about electronic gambling both public and private and the law was instituted in order to curb internet gambling as well as public video gmabling. However the law went to all types of video gaming, but playing poker is still OK. Apparently When some of the lawmakers were asked if they could distinguish between a gambling machine and a Gameboy, they admitted that they couln't.

Your right Rio, they won't institute a law like this in the US, they couln't get away with it. To many people make money off of video games, as well as the fact that about 20% or more of the voting public has practically grown up on the things. Nobody wants to piss off that many constituents.

Sarah
12th Sep 2002, 03:11
There were a couple of test cases put through-in regards to Internet cafes and online gaming(a non-threatening violent shooter, you know, wholesome stuff), and the Greek Supreme Court found that the wording of the law was unconstitutional. So-YAY!

Insanity
12th Sep 2002, 03:32
Right On!

Riovanes
12th Sep 2002, 07:00
In the immortal words of Jay...

BONG!!!

BAH!!!