PDA

View Full Version : sparklies

Xcom
8th Sep 2002, 21:42
I have some problems with sparklies (tiny, white dots). They appear on the polygon edges, especially while the player is in motion. Now, I have a 8-sided cilinder room with a 8-sided cilinder bathtub. The top and bottom of the tub are brightly lit while the rest of room is basically dark. Now, these sparklies appear on the border of the tub. They seem to appear where a brush is in between a dark and a light area. I would have made a screenshot but somehow my PrintScreen key is no longer functioning.

I tried many things. Firstly optimizing. Helped a bit since it removed a couple of splits. I tried to rebuild the area using different solid-air brushes combination, to no avail. The only thing that remains, is try to adjust lighting but the problem is, I don't wanna. I mean it is pretty much ideal now and I would hate to change it. So, any practical tips?

Danventry
8th Sep 2002, 23:19
First: I really wouldn't worry about these if we're thinking about the same thing here. These "sparklies" are in many FMs and they usually disappear when you turn your head in the game. It's not as bad as not room brushing a doorway or something. Second: I'm sure you've probably made your tub this way, but just to be sure, make a 8 (EXAMPLE: 5X5X5) sided solid figure, then make an airbrush less by 1 foot width and legnth (4X4X5) so you end up wiht a flat bottomed bowl. I've never had problems with these. Third: Continue for a little while with the mission for a minute or two and then re-portalize/optimize. Sometimes, if you do something else to a level, it adjusts things that it missed the time before (atleast for me). Forth: If bad comes to worse, save your FM file as a new name, then play with the lighting until it stops and you like it or nothing works. Also remember about Obj cast, Ray cast, and quick cast, or whatever they're called. You might find that you like one way even better.

amievil?
9th Sep 2002, 00:21
if your talking about what im thinking, those little things ive never concerned myself with. ive seen them in heaps of fms and in the oms too, its just glitches in the engine.

Xcom
9th Sep 2002, 00:22
Danventry,
Yes, the tub is build exactly as you described (is there any other to build a tub? :D ). I also have the same kinda "bowl" in the ceiling (but w/o water of course). I even was so desperate, that I rebuild the whole set using cubes and wedges (and not cilinders). Used x6 as many brushes though. Didn't help. I'll probably follow your advice and leave it be for a while.

(I hope you are sure about this not being a very dangerous error. ;) In Q3 level design this is considered a nasty one. )

Originally posted by amievil?
if your talking about what im thinking, those little things ive never concerned myself with. ive seen them in heaps of fms and in the oms too, its just glitches in the engine.

IIRC, they are officially called t-junction cracks. Happens when an adjacent brush sides don't fit each other. In q3 engine this happens only in particular situations and there is a remedy for that. Here, in DromEd, I wouldn't have a slightest clue of how to cure this.

amievil?
9th Sep 2002, 01:32
maybe the tjoint fix fixes this problem...default is on so it should be fixing it during portalization...dunno...

Xcom
9th Sep 2002, 03:19
I finally managed to take a screenshot (http://home.planet.nl/~xcom/art/sparkles.jpg) of what I am talking about here. Note, it seems like no big deal on the sceen but that's cuz it's difficult to "capture the right moment" :D while standing still. There are significantly more of those dots there.

Stile451
9th Sep 2002, 04:13
That looks really good.

Those dots happen in a lot of places, maybe you have too many cells. Blockable brushes can lower cell count(I don't know how to make em or even the definition, just know what they're good for).

To show the cells push : (shift+;) in game mode and enter show_cell enter it again to turn it off, show_stats is also pretty useful.

Xcom
9th Sep 2002, 16:52
Originally posted by Salvage
Those dots happen in a lot of places, maybe you have too many cells. Blockable brushes can lower cell count(I don't know how to make em or even the definition, just know what they're good for).

To show the cells push : (shift+;) in game mode and enter show_cell enter it again to turn it off, show_stats is also pretty useful.

Well, I do have many cells there. show_stats revealed about 50 "unique_cells" and about 100-120 polys drawn in that room alone. Is this too many? I ain't finished with this room and it'll be a bummer if I can't decorate it more.

Stile451
10th Sep 2002, 00:56
120 polys is nothing to worry about, just try to keep it below 450 for smooth running on most systems. The engine craps out at around 1024(plus polys for objects, which show_stats doesn't show).

Have you optimised the area?(you can optimise specific areas using area brushes and selecting me only then running optimise, helpful when working with a specific area).

BTW, the console command for taking a screen shot in Dromed is screen_dump which can be entered in the editor window or in game mode.

Xcom
14th Sep 2002, 04:51
Originally posted by Salvage
Have you optimised the area?(you can optimise specific areas using area brushes and selecting me only then running optimise, helpful when working with a specific area).

This is actually a great tip. Thanks. And to answer - no, I haven't. I have put this level aside for the time being. It's supposed to be the main mission level. I figured that I might first work out the storyline details and learn other DromED stuff before actually working on this level's architecture.