PDA

View Full Version : Your Nationality...

Cyber_Punk_303
6th Sep 2002, 22:00
Just wondering what kind of variety we have here...
My mom is Armenian/Turkish and born in lebenon. My dad is Scottish/Irish born in Canada.

Anyone here into their culture? Anyone have any interesting values, traditions, art, etc? If so, please share.

Aquarius
6th Sep 2002, 22:19
On my mom's said, there's Swedish, German, Dutch, possibly English, and Hungarian/Magyar.

My dad's side is pure Polish.......maybe that's where the running into doors thing comes from. :p

My parents can actually speak Polish quite well, but I on the other hand cannot. lol

Kurtis Trent
6th Sep 2002, 22:24
Let's see... Im mostly german, and im also norweigan (sp?) and native american. :D

DKSM
6th Sep 2002, 23:10
I'm a mutt.

Actually, I'm Dutch, Spanish, German, Portugese(sp?), Indonesian, Italian, and much much more. So actually, I am a mutt! Hah!

Prelude
6th Sep 2002, 23:14
British my dear boy, through and through :D

Solaris
7th Sep 2002, 02:38
My moms side i come out spanish and dominican

My dads side i come out dominican

I come out american cause i was born here.

I love meself fo much..*looks at herself apporovingly*

hehe!:D

TombRaiderChik
7th Sep 2002, 02:51
well on my dads side...
my dads dad is english and my dads mom is sweedish and english and somewhere in there there's a bit of indian

on my moms side...
italian italian and some more italian

so i guess that makes me english sweedish and italian and a lil bit of indian :D

Aquarius
7th Sep 2002, 02:58
If you live in the US, are 1/8 Native American, and can prove it, the government will give you a full ride scholarship to college. So those of you out there who are Native American, luck may be on your side! :)

Lil Lara
7th Sep 2002, 03:18
I'm just one big mutt! Lol!

I'm...Irish, Scottish, German, Hungarian(perhaps)..ack, I can't remember it all...and I'm like a teeny tiny bit American Indian, but probably not enough to get any sort of compensation for(I believe my great great or so grandmother was part American Indian of sorts and was adopted--but we don't have any papers to proove anything). Yeah..I think that's about it. There's another thing that I think I am--but I can't think of the word. Lol. :D :p

Rose662
7th Sep 2002, 03:21
My father was born here in America. He is the youngest of four children. My father's parents emigrated to the USA from Germany. There is also some Dutch on his side of the family.

My mother was born in America. My mother has both English and Dutch background in her family.

I was born here in America. To sum it up: I am half German, half English with some Dutch.

My father does speak some German (Deutch (sp?)). I know a few phrases, but I don't know enough of the language to hold a conversation. :)

MountainDewNut
7th Sep 2002, 04:01
I think I'm mostly Native American and Danish.

DaveJ
7th Sep 2002, 08:42
English.....100 % pure, old-fashioned, home grown English. Born free - right here in the real world. Genuine child of Britannia.

GoranAgar
7th Sep 2002, 10:19
DaveJ, sure there are no Vikings or Romans in your family line? Or maybe some German, like the Royal family?

I once saw a guy on a beach who had "Made in Britain" tattooed on the sole of his foot. Was that you? :D

John Carter
7th Sep 2002, 10:59
Prelude is the only one here who actually answered the question about "What's your nationality?" "British" means "citizen of the United Kingdom". Nationality refers to citizenship these days instead of what most are mentioning, their ethnic and cultural antecedents.

Although nationality and ethnic group were once synonymous in most parts of the world, rare is the country where that is true today.

DaveJ may have answered the question, too, I haven't been keeping up with the news as well as I might, but I think I did hear about England seceding from the United Kingdom or something like that. ;)

DaveJ
7th Sep 2002, 12:57
I always say I'm English.

I have none of the fine qualities that make up the Scots, the Welsh or the Irish in me, or in my bloodline.
And I can trace it back far enough to know.
;)

The term 'UK' or 'Brit' just makes it easier for the rest of the world to label people here...like calling Canadians and Mexicans 'American'...."Oh its all a part of the same thing, isn't it?"

I'm guessing only the thread starter would catch the irony of my initial post, however.....

THE True Lara
7th Sep 2002, 13:48
I

am

from

Eng-y-land

Born & bred

...woof! :D

(1/8th scottish some way back though)

The whole UK, GB thing though seems to be quite a contention with erm, well, the non-british not to put too fine a point on it. A friend of my cousin went to the US a while back, and when the peeps at customs asked him what country he was from he said 'Great Britain' and they got really uppetty with him saying there was nothing great about Britain and made him go through a search! Some people can really get funny about these terms, my Grandad always maintained that he was English, not British, but that's really to do with his generation, though I'm inclined to agree that if I have the choice between defining where I come from as England or Britain, I'll pick the former every time. But there you go.
Somehow I don't think anyone in the UK really goes into saying whether they're saxon or Norman on their passports you know ;)..... I guess I'd be saxon?!? Who knows.
The whole nationality and citizenship thing is also a little perplexing, I had a right time of it trying to fill in my passport form way back, all this 'citizenship at time of birth' and such, all really confuses the issue.
Ah well.

DaveJ
7th Sep 2002, 14:30
US customs workers are notorious for their manners, friendliness, welcoming nature and pleasant air.

I place them just below hyenas if pushed.

He should have said "theres not much United about your States."

Deekman
7th Sep 2002, 14:48
I am a 9th Generation German/American.
So I'm pretty much all American by now.
My great great great great great great great grandfather
came to the US (actually "the Colonies" at the time)
from Germany in 1752 via Rotterdam and Philadelphia.

Kurtis Trent
7th Sep 2002, 15:43
Originally posted by Aquarius
If you live in the US, are 1/8 Native American, and can prove it, the government will give you a full ride scholarship to college. So those of you out there who are Native American, luck may be on your side! :)

Cool!! I'm 25% native american.:D

Wee Bald Man
7th Sep 2002, 17:24
If I'm related to Adam and Eve then I'm a mongrel hybrid. A mixture of every race there's ever been, part fish, part simian, and part space dust. :D

I don't consider myself to be 'from a nation' - I like to think that I'm from Earth and was lucky enough to be born in a particular place at a particular time.

I have no sentimental attachments to my culture or customs. Particularly the one that dictates that I should enjoy eating mashed up animal entrails and spinal cords wrapped and boiled in the intestines of a sheep. (There is no smilie for 'Bleeurgh'). :)

I was born in Scotland so I suppose that makes me Scottish but because the English got fed up with my ancestors stealing cows, I'm still not allowed to put that on my passport. My driving license is a little more modern and has Scotland as my birth place. I don't consider myself to be 'British' or from the 'United Kingdom' because for me, 'British' conjures up an image of angry young men with skinheads chucking curry and beer at eachother...

.. and what with all the violence everyone has suffered with the problems in Northern Ireland, I feel that the 'Kingdom' has certainly not been 'United' in my lifetime. And besides, unless the Queen is in drag, it currently has no King. Therefore I am happy to say that I come from the DQ (Disjointed Queendom). :D

To make matters slightly more confusing I'm part of the European Union but I can't buy anything outside of the DQ without going to a 'foreign' exchange.. :confused:

Genetic origins:

My mother's side of the family is from a small village in Scotland which is most famous for inventing the worst thing that ever happened to this world: tarmac (TarMacAdam). My mum remembers going round to MacAdam's house as a child and watching him test different types of road surfacing outside his house. If only she had jumped on his back and pushed his head into the pot of boiling tar... the world would have still been full of flowers and butterflies. :)

My dad's side is from Sardinia - a big island in the middle of the Meditteranean, near Italy. His family were musicians, astronomers and police men. Unfortunately, their genes have become polluted over time and have resulted in me - a fully qualified loser and nincompoop who has no respect for his ancestors or his country of birth. :D

WBM

Prelude
7th Sep 2002, 18:26
http://www.click-smilie.de/sammlung/lachen/lachen014.gif RATFLMAO!!! Can't write anything, just tooooo funny!

Aquarius
7th Sep 2002, 18:47
Originally posted by DaveJ

The term 'UK' or 'Brit' just makes it easier for the rest of the world to label people here...like calling Canadians and Mexicans 'American'...."Oh its all a part of the same thing, isn't it?"

And who exactly calls Canadians and Mexicans, American?!?! They're not! Never have been, never will be!! That's why they're called Canadians and Mexicans!! Puerto Ricans are more American then either of those too are, same for Guam and the Virgin Islands.

So according to that, does that mean that the Irish and Scottish are English?

dhama
7th Sep 2002, 21:56
Originally posted by Wee Bald Man
I don't consider myself to be 'from a nation' - I like to think that I'm from Earth .......

.......I have no sentimental attachments to my culture or customs......

I feel the same my friend, although I prefer to see myself as part of a great 'whole', much the same as being a minute speck of glass from a smashed crystal ball. ;) :)

IMHO the importance of heritage and culture etc. is but a cloud that drifts slowly by, and one day will be but a distant memory. ;)

Jade
7th Sep 2002, 22:14
i'm 100% dutch, and consider myself to be quite a nationalist.
GO HOLLAND!
btw, i've noticed that quite a few of you have dutch roots, cool!;)

shirl123
7th Sep 2002, 22:24
I'm 100% Israeli, but my origins are from England and Polland(sp?) :p

Jewlia
7th Sep 2002, 23:22
Yeah Man. Me 99.99% English. Come on you Blu-ues. I'm So English that when I went to an Oxford Utd .v. some other team football match, I had my bags searched before I was allowed into the grounds. The police found some deodorant and when they asked me why I was bringing deodorant into the grounds I replied **********************(Please think carefully before you post as some content may be unacceptable - Data.) ;)

Kaliya
8th Sep 2002, 08:43
Well, my mum is from England, and I dunno where dad's from.. but I live in Australia, born here..

DaveJ
8th Sep 2002, 09:07
Originally posted by Aquarius

And who exactly calls Canadians and Mexicans, American?!?! They're not! Never have been, never will be!! That's why they're called Canadians and Mexicans!! Puerto Ricans are more American then either of those too are, same for Guam and the Virgin Islands.

So according to that, does that mean that the Irish and Scottish are English?

I think you have missed my point entirely there, by answering it yourself.

Irony... it never plays well.
:(

Nena
15th Sep 2002, 19:55
Im from Puerto Rico born and raised over there but I move to NY when i was 10.
In fathers family theres italian, so im somewhat italian
In my mothers family theres spanish (spain), so somewhat from spain.
But i consider myself pure Puertorican!
Im a Puertorican full of sabor:) :D ;) :p
btw thats flavor.:p

Seth
18th Sep 2002, 22:23
I am.. You know I am... I am Canadian...

bgsky
18th Sep 2002, 22:39
My father, grand father and gand gand grand ..father was Serb but I do not know who was grand, grand, grand... fathers father so I can not say for my self that I'm true born Serb :-)) Joke
I'm true born Serb and I'm proud! :-))

Cyber_Punk_303
19th Sep 2002, 18:25
Canadian beer commercial... Too cool.

*ahem*

We are... You know we are... We are Canadian...

Seth
19th Sep 2002, 23:51
http://www.molson.ca/home/images/logo_iamca.gif

OuTR
20th Sep 2002, 03:50
There is a great melting pot here..
Im Hispanic. More specifically Puertorican.

V_Croft
20th Sep 2002, 12:04
I'm 100% Greek, born in Greece... My parents are 100% Greek, too and so were my grandparents and my grand-grand parents and so it goes... :p

Godfather
20th Sep 2002, 14:57
I was born in the same country as the supersweet, ultra-sexy and mega-beautiful Audrey Hepburn! Lucky me! :D