PDA

View Full Version : The Best of 2000....

clayman
3rd Sep 2002, 23:28
.......in my humbled, late-arriving opinion. :)

In my chronological replaying of all things Thiefly, I have learned much, but everything mostly remains the same. ;)

For those of you un-educated from the old forum and my opinionated ways, I put forth that the following were clearly the cream of the FM crop from 1999(in no particular order) :

The Shadow of Lord Rothchest
Autumn in Lampfire Hills
Death of Garrett
Escape From Bloodstone Prison

That said as a preface, I feel I must speak now about the best of 2000.

For Thief Gold, the following :

The Keep
The Order of the Vine
and,(gasp) Turning the Tables

The last one above is a bit of surprise, as I have no memory of this mission previously. Very good Ghosting techniques involved, and excellent immersion.

For Thief 2 in '00, the following :

Errand Boy
Equilibrium
The Ritual
(with a very close second) Embracing the Enemy

All of these missions above made me take a step back and forget life for a while, to enter another world entirely for two hours(or in the case of Equilibrium, days).

For those of you inexplicably un-versed in the arts of FM playing, why are you still reading ? Go and play them now, or be cursed forever. :)

But I must say that every damn thing I have played from '00 was better than it's alternative : not playing Thief at all ! Thank you times 1 million to those talented souls who have made my day as a Thief addict, without the designers, we would be extremely bored. :)

For what it's worth. ;) :)

theBlackman
4th Sep 2002, 02:08
Originally posted by clayman
For what it's worth. ;) :)

Solid gold that's what! :D :D :p

SlyFoxx
4th Sep 2002, 04:48
without the designers, we would be extremely bored.................clayman

clayman sums it all up right here in a nutshell. Brevity....gotta love it.

:)

Gumdrop
5th Sep 2002, 02:58
Well I can't argue with your choices simply becouse I haven't played (or have completely forgot) most of them. :rolleyes: I do however, have fond memories of Bloodstone as (unlike many FM's I have played) there were certain moments that made me feel like I was playing a OM and not a FM. This has nothing to do with the quality of the mission, but something I can't quite put my finger on. Atmosphere? Location? Lighting? Architecture?

Probably a bit of everything, but back in those days FM's had a different feel about them. You know when you have a favorite book that you have read many times - then find yourself buying a new edition that has a different cover illustration? It looses something right? Well it's the same feeling I get playing newer FM's. They're bigger, better and more pollished...But they are different. :confused:

Anyway...Rambles aside, Equilibrium is a firm favorite on this desktop, and I would even say it spooks as much as a first run through RTC.

Keep up the commentaries though. I enjoy reading them. :)

clayman
5th Sep 2002, 23:01
Gumdrop - You echo one of my sentiments; that some missions, and several of the older ones, just have that something that sets them apart. The analogy of the old book you go back to is a good one. I commented on Equilibrium in another thread that it just has the best "sense of place" of any mission I've played. I was very immersed, and so were my children; they were absolutely terrified. A shame us grownups are so jaded that we don't get that sense of wonder more often. But some have it, others don't....ambiance....something. I found the premise and gameplay of Death of Garrett to make the most realistic sense over nearly all the missions I've played up to this point. And you are right, Bloodstone has that creepy ambiance equal to that of the OM undead missions.

BTW, I stopped the individual mission commentaries because I'm a terrible mission reviewer and an equally awful beta tester. I don't notice or care much for technical issues or the minute details of how mission was built, unless they are so noticeable as to intrude on gameplay. I like the missions that really engross me for a while, and those that are very believable in storyline and as to whether a thief would really be in that situation. I only have the common man's "You are There" approach.

I'm also not really good with conundrums, and I have a terrible memory, so I don't enjoy missions that seem more like a puzzle and a chore than a mission. I work too hard in RL to be challenged that way by a game and really enjoy it.

So I chose to do recaps as I played through the FMs, feeling that missions in the same year can more easily be rated/discussed than somehow trying compare Gathering at the Bar to Art of Thievery. And rather than putting forth really opinionated stuff about everything I touch(and turning a positive thing into a negative), I only focus on the ones that knocked my socks off. And as I've said before, 99.9% of what I've played was fun, for which I am eternally grateful to the designers for. :)

Once I catch up with the rest of you on FMs(maybe in 2004 ;)), I'll start individual commentaries again. :)

On to the 2001 FMs ! Lucrative Opportunity is tonight......:)

RicknMel
7th Sep 2002, 13:35
Wow..you're to 2001. It's not taking as long as I thought it would Clayman. :eek: ;)

I agree totally with the "there's just something I like" about certain missions. I can't put a finger on it, but every once in a while there's a real gem.

I agree with The Keep Series, Equalibrium, and Death of Garrett.

I still haven't ever been able to really get absorbed into Lampfire Hills. Everyone says how great it is....but I guess I just don't get it. It looks beautiful, and the idea of Garrett having a guard is novel...but Maybe it's too hard for me or something. I've tried prolly 6 times to play it, and after about 30 minutes I've given up every time. :(

I've tried Bloodstone several times as well.....but I think my main problem with that one is that it's too big. My PC just can't handle it. And there's nothing more annoying than choppy framerates :(

clayman
7th Sep 2002, 14:55
Originally posted by RicknMel
Wow..you're to 2001. It's not taking as long as I thought it would Clayman. :eek: ;)

Yeah, I'm really picking up speed now.....(insert image of man on crutches going up a spiral staircase) :D ;)

I still haven't ever been able to really get absorbed into Lampfire Hills. Everyone says how great it is....but I guess I just don't get it. It looks beautiful, and the idea of Garrett having a guard is novel...but Maybe it's too hard for me or something. I've tried prolly 6 times to play it, and after about 30 minutes I've given up every time. :(

I guess some missions are just stumbling blocks. I know there are some that I can't seem to finish that everyone loves(Varyx Obelisk, Inverted Manse), so I understand your feeling on this. And Lampfire is buggy, I'll admit that. But I love it. Where do you get stuck/run out of gas ? I've played it many times on all difficulties and maybe I can lend a hand. The AI interactions are not particularly difficult(except maybe if you are greedy in the bar with the thief/assassin AI), but the traps and the endgame area are tricky for sure. But maybe its best to put it aside, I know if I can't get "into" a mission, no amount of help or advice seems to make me get immersed. :)

Peter_Smith
7th Sep 2002, 16:24
Rick,
I have never had a problem with Bloodstone Prison. I think it is not a large mission. Are you still playing with your old K6 system? If so, now may be a good time to uprade. Here are some thoughts on that. (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=58007#post58007)

-----------------

Good list, Clayman - I agree with it's entries. I had not played The Shadow of Lord Rothchest, so I have loaded it up and am playing it now. EDIT: I completed it. 3741 / 3866 loot and 157 damage. I was not kind.:)

I think that the "something" includes old looking textures and a general feeling of dread and decay. Thief 2 has that polished look that does not quite do it unless the FM designer goes out of his way to recreate it.

clayman
7th Sep 2002, 22:02
Yar.....................Peter Smith :) :D