PDA

View Full Version : The greatest director of all time!

Godfather
3rd Sep 2002, 19:18
Yeah, yeah: I know! Another poll made by The Godfather! You guys & girls out there are probably mostly fed up with these polls, but I only make them, because I wanna find out each and everyone's opinion here.

BTW: I wanted to include other directors such as Quinten Tarantino, James Cameron, Ridley Scott and David Fincher, but I didn't have place for these guys anymore.

Howcome there aren't any female directors worthy of mentioning actually?

Lil Lara
4th Sep 2002, 01:29
Baz Luhrmann!!! :D :D :D

Lara Croft Online
4th Sep 2002, 04:09
James Cameron : Forgot him he's made some awesome movies

Terminator
Aliens
The Abyss
True Lies
Titanic

AmO
4th Sep 2002, 06:39
well out of that group i chose Steven Spielberg, but there are many greats, this poll is really unfair, when a person could go way back, and there are so many different kinds [catagories] of movies, someone that was great with comedy for instance might not have been good with the great american novel turned into a movie. see what i'm saying in my rambling?:D

DaveJ
4th Sep 2002, 07:19
Kathryn Bigelow. Makes action movies better than the boys can.

Jane Campion.

Mimi Leder.

From the others mentioned thus far, I would opt for Ridley Scott. As an artist, his work is something to aspire to.

Data
4th Oct 2002, 17:16
http://www.salon.com/ent/movies/feature/2002/08/27/women_directors/

Data
4th Oct 2002, 17:25
Definately Martin Scorsese for me. I do not watch his films, I experience them. The last temptation of Christ and Kundun are my favourites.

http://www.scorsesefilms.com/gifs/closeup2_jpg.jpg

"The greatest sin is pride. It's the undoing of everyone. So I'm interested in a character who consciously makes the effort to deal with every problem with a solution in which his pride is ten steps ahead of him. It's the kind of story you like to hear again and again."

--Martin Scorsese

Xcom
4th Oct 2002, 18:55
Paul Verhoeven

BlueSkiesXXV
8th Oct 2002, 15:22
Sam 'The Man' Raimi

infinite_sadness
8th Oct 2002, 17:35
Stanley was the man...........

Henry
8th Oct 2002, 17:39
I vote for Hitchcock,but it was hard do decide,both are good Hitchcock and Spielberg.

Cyber_Punk_303
9th Oct 2002, 01:28
First, Hitchc-o-c-k, then...

THE WACHOWSKI BROTHERS!!!

DaveJ
9th Oct 2002, 07:03
They've only made 2 movies...with 2 due for release.

"All time"?

Goose Master
9th Oct 2002, 18:45
Francis Ford Cappola is mine his films are excellent. I mean you just need to watch the opening sequences of Th Godfather or Apocalypse Now to realise what a good director he is. Also his choice in actor is good choosing Marlon Brando, Robert De Nero, Al Pacino and the list goes on... He has a way of filming that makes you keep on watching.

Godfather
10th Oct 2002, 10:37
Originally posted by Goose Master
Francis Ford Cappola is mine his films are excellent. I mean you just need to watch the opening sequences of Th Godfather or Apocalypse Now to realise what a good director he is. Also his choice in actor is good choosing Marlon Brando, Robert De Nero, Al Pacino and the list goes on... He has a way of filming that makes you keep on watching.

I couldn't agree with you more and I have to tell you that, in my personal opinion, the three greatest movies of all time have been made by Francis Ford Coppola. Still, with the exception of The Godfather part III in 1990, Francis Ford Coppola hasn't made one good movie after he made "Apocalypse now" in 1979. He was weak in the '80s and bad (or should I use the word absent here?) in the '90s. It would be good to know that he is making another movie which would remind us of what a great director he once was ... but I'm afraid that FFC will always be linked to his movies of the '70s and to nothing else but THAT! :(

pity ...

DaveJ
10th Oct 2002, 11:30
Loved his take on "Dracula" though.

THE True Lara
10th Oct 2002, 13:01
Really? I thought it was over done. Was a bit silly even, in places. And Reeves was hideously mis-cast. :(
Give me the 1931 version any day of the week.

Godfather
10th Oct 2002, 14:09
Originally posted by THE True Lara
Really? I thought it was over done. Was a bit silly even, in places. And Reeves was hideously mis-cast. :(
Give me the 1931 version any day of the week.

I've never had a chance to watch the 1931-version, but I sure as heaven loooved the 1922-version (officially called: "Nosferatu, eine symphony des Grauens.") Anyway, I'm not into Dracula or Frankenstein and the only one of its kind that I really liked were "Nosferatu" of 1922 and Mel Brooks' parody on Frankenstein. :)

DaveJ
10th Oct 2002, 14:10
Reeves was well out of place...but I admired Coppola for experimenting with his film-making for once.

Some very nice stuff in there....and the most faithful re-telling of the story too.

DaveJ
10th Oct 2002, 14:11
Originally posted by Godfather

Anyway, I'm not into Dracula or Frankenstein

Exactly how I feel about gangster movies....

THE True Lara
10th Oct 2002, 14:20
Ditto on the ganster movie thing there,

have you by chance been 'Shadow of the Vampire' came out a few years back, damn fine bit of cinamatography there. Something you can love for it's poetry and message, and, well a lot of it's aspects, but don't want to watch too often either.
I suppose as with all films it depends on how you loom at it, but personally I thought it really very good, and that's something to be said when I absolutely loath John Malkovich, and he was the main lead?!?

Godfather
10th Oct 2002, 14:40
Originally posted by DaveJ

Exactly how I feel about gangster movies....

... and why my mom thought "The Lord of the Rings" was utterly boring and therefore very bad. :):o