PDA

View Full Version : The three greatest actors of all time in one movie perhaps?

Godfather
2nd Sep 2002, 21:09
I've recently heard a very interesting gossip ... I doubt this is going to happen, but if it is indeed the truth, ... maannnn!!! It's gonna be one of the wildest rides ever built in Hollywood-history.

Rumor has it that Hollywood (God knows what director(s) they are going to choose for this movie) is thinking about making a movie with three of thé greatest actors of all time!

I've mentioned them in the poll above and my question to you is: "If this film is actually going to happen, what would you think of it? Would you go and see it for the actors or would you NOT see it because each of them would run in each others' way? If this is true, what would your opinion be then? .... oh, and don't forget to vote for the poll as well ... hehehehehe ... :rolleyes:

Anyway, my opinion is that I can't make up my mind. Eventually, I'd first choose Al Pacino because he actually played in the three greatest movies of all time: The Godfather-trilogy! And Robert De Niro because he actually played in a lot of great maffia-crime movies such as every single Martin Scorsese-movie with him in it. And I'd choose Jack Nicholson as my third choice, because he doesn't always play in movies of my favorite genre (crime/fantasy/[slapstick]-comedy), but he is just as great as Pacino and De Niro ... and he has received more awards than any other actor or actress who has ever lived. And although I don't always seem to care/agree to the (silly) decisions of the Academy Award, I'd have to say that he deserves every right to have gotten so many awards ... the man (read: these three men) is (read: are)simply a (read: ) genius! (read: geniusses)

C ya!

TombRaiderChik
2nd Sep 2002, 21:25
jack as one of the greatest actors of all time?! hmm i dont know about that one...:p

but now i gotta choose between al pacino and, once again, robert de niro...im sure ull have to convince me on choosing one or the other again this time godfather ;):D

Lil Lara
2nd Sep 2002, 22:17
Out of those three choices, I guess I'd have to go with Al Pachino. He rocks! :D

Godfather
3rd Sep 2002, 05:25
Originally posted by TombRaiderChik
jack as one of the greatest actors of all time?! hmm i dont know about that one...:p

C'mon! :eek: He's got fantastic performances in movies such as "The Last Detail", "Chinatown", "One flew over the cuckoo's nest", "The shining", "The witches of Eastwick", "Wolf", "As good as it gets" and even in a not so serious movie such as Batman, he manages to do a fantastic performance!!

but now i gotta choose between al pacino and, once again, robert de niro...im sure ull have to convince me on choosing one or the other again this time godfather ;):D [/QUOTE]

Well, as I mentioned before: I'd go with Al Pacino ... after a very, very, very, very, very ... very long thought!! :D The best way to decide this is to watch the action-movie 'Heat' and then decide whom you like best. Why do I go with Al Pacino? Because when he gets mad, he can get mad like no one else? In 'Heat' he starts to shake the table shouting extremely loud and awfully mad:" GIVE ME ALL YOU GOT!!! GIVE ME ALL YOU GOT!! DON'T WASTE MY MOTHA****IN' TIME!! (sorry bout the mf-word, but it's part of his one-liner)

I like him very much in 'The devil's advocate!'

DaveJ
3rd Sep 2002, 08:17
Jack Nicholson always plays Jack Nicholson.

Make no mistake about that.

The ability to play a different character each time with no visible signs of the actors personality showing through, is the mark of a great actor.
Jack is always Jack.

The greatest actor of all time was/is Sir Laurence Olivier, dear boy.

De Niro tops your list of options.

TombRaiderChik
3rd Sep 2002, 14:32
Originally posted by Godfather

I like him very much in 'The devil's advocate!'

yeah the devil's advocate is a really good movie!!! :)

i havent seen much jack nicholson movies but like davej sed i mean he kinda only plays characters that are kinda nutty people.

DaveJ
3rd Sep 2002, 15:17
Gary Oldman is a great example of an actor who can change himself for each role.

Hard to believe this was Dracula and Zorg in the same man.

Godfather
3rd Sep 2002, 19:06
Hmmm, everybody's entitled of their own opinion ... but I must disagree. Every actor is being typecasted after a while ... even the great Marlon Brando played his godfather-character twice!! :p

I don't think ... no: I know for a fact that it's not due to Jack Nicholson's lack of acting experience that he has played some similar nutty characters before. Let's not forget that Robert De Niro's best friend is one of thé greatest directors of all time (which is why he starred in so many great movies) and that both he and Al Pacino have the perfect Italian-looks to play in crime-movies which is why both of them have starred more than once in that particular genre. The same goes for Jack Nicholson. He's got a very characteristic face (almost the face of the devil) which is why he played more than once in movies that focus around a werewolf, the devil himself, a crazy guy, an annoying and uptight officer, a feared enemy (joker) and a constantly complaining and introvert man ...

But Jack Nicholson has also had some very interesting roles that were quite normal too ... only these movies haven't become such success.

At least: that's my opinion!

Godfather
3rd Sep 2002, 19:11
Originally posted by TombRaiderChik

yeah the devil's advocate is a really good movie!!! :)

YEAH!! I really like his monologue about God! :D :D

Al Pacino in "The devil's advocate":

God likes to watch! He's a prankster. Think about it! He gives man instincts! He gives you this extra-ordinary gift and what does he do with it? I swear: for his own amusement ... for his own private, cosmic gag reel!! He sets the rules in opposition! It's the goof of all time! Look but don't touch! Touch but don't taste! Taste but don't swallow! Hahahaaaa! And while you're jumping from one foot to the next, what is he doing? He's laughing his sick, ****ing ass off!! He's a sadist, he's a tight-ass!! He's an absente landlord!! Worship that?!! NEVER!!

DaveJ
3rd Sep 2002, 19:18
Thats the problem with having a face full of identifiable character like Jack has.
Don't get me wrong, I love his movies, but 'greatest actors ever'?

Great character actors are people like the afore-mentioned Gary Oldman, the late lamented J.T Walsh, Ian Mckellan, Alec Guinness, and to a degree De Niro.

Godfather
3rd Sep 2002, 22:07
Originally posted by DaveJ
Thats the problem with having a face full of identifiable character like Jack has.
Don't get me wrong, I love his movies, but 'greatest actors ever'?

Great character actors are people like the afore-mentioned Gary Oldman, the late lamented J.T Walsh, Ian Mckellan, Alec Guinness, and to a degree De Niro.

J.T. Walsh!! When he was shouting in that movie 'Outbreak' that the victims were people and no statistics, my hair on my arms raised and I knew at that moment that this had to be thé greatest cameo-role ever fulfilled! I like him in other movies as well, but he doesn't always get the right characters to play! He's a better actor than most of his character allow him to show us his true talent.

And ... Robert De Niro to a degree? Err ... you've gotta be kiddin' me! Maybe this is one of those exaggerated and not-so-true gossip-stories, but I remember having heard more than once that De Niro is known by many of his fellow-colleagues as the cameleon of the American cinema.

But you are right about what you said of Jack Nicholson. His character of "The Shining", "One flew ...", "As good as it gets", "Wolf", "Batman", "The Witches of Eastwick" and "A few good men" have some similarities when it comes to their personality. Nevertheless, I'm positive that no other actor could have fulfilled those parts like he did and that makes him one of thé greatest actors of all time (in my humble opinion) and my personal number three-actor (right after AP and RDN)! :p

Hey DaveJ! What is your opinion about Ed Harris? Now there's a great actor who's been neglected and underestimated for many years. His performances in both "The Abyss", "The Rock" and "Just cause" were simply brilliant!! :)

DaveJ
4th Sep 2002, 07:27
Ed Harris I like a lot too...you just reminded me of another great...Sam Shepherd.

De Niro I like....but he has recently sold his soul to comedy. "Heat" is my favourite De Niro film. I'm not fussed what his fellow colleagues opinion is though...you didn't start a poll asking for their opinion, you asked for ours. ;)
As for chameleon...he puts weight on, he loses weight.

Pacino is great entertainment value with one drawback. Whenever the character he is playing loses his temper it becomes the trademark Pacino hissy fit...and that takes me out of the moment. You are no longer watching the character, you are watching the actor doing his trademark thang.

Its like nude scenes...I never saw Catherine Trammel's boobies in "Basic Instinct"....but I clearly saw Sharon Stone's.