PDA

View Full Version : Startopia in slow motion

ChaosWolf
1st Sep 2002, 08:41
Ive just bought startopia and already having problems with it. The problem is that im getting a very slow frame rate, like the game is running in slow motion. My computer specs are:

athlon 1GHz
128mb ddr ram
gforce4 440 64mb ddr
60gb hd
windows xp

Ive tried tweaking the g card in the option ive even tried overclocking but to no success if someone could help me with my problem, thanks.

DMA57361
1st Sep 2002, 15:30
Well my previous setup was worse than that. Except for RAM quantity. I didnt have any problems unless I left my virus checker on while playing . . odd I know as It never effected anything else . . but still.

Other than that, I can't help.

Oh. And welcome to the forum. :D

Arctic_Wolf
1st Sep 2002, 17:18
You have a great system there. My previous set up was far Inferior. So it is most likey an Issue with Proccessor time divisions.

You see when you run more than one program the Processor divides up slots. Dealing with one program and switching to the next. Thats why games like it when the computer is only running the game. So, do you have more than one program running at the same time as StarTopia? If so, close them before playing.

P.S Nice name by the way :D

Mucky Foot
1st Sep 2002, 21:14
Nothing wrong with that system - should be running like a dream. First thing to do is get the latest video drivers off nVidia's site (www.nvidia.com). Make sure you disable all virus checkers and background programs before running StarTopia - they're known to slow things to a crawl.

There's a couple of other things that might be making small performance hits, but nothing you'd notice with that rig.

TomF - Muckyfoot coder.

ChaosWolf
2nd Sep 2002, 10:16
Thanks for the advice but ive updated my drivers for my graphics card and updated startopia but it still hasn't solve the problem even my mother board drivers are the latest one which is a giga byte ga 7dxr+ with raid. Could it be to do with the on board sound because ive noticed that one the intro is on that the sound jumbs. The on board sound is a creative ct5880.

ChaosWolf
2nd Sep 2002, 22:16
or maybe its because im using the older version of the athlon. Ive shut down most of the prgrams running in the background at left the vital ones on , but it still runs slow PLEASE SOMEONE HELP before i use my computer as a paper weight or a book rest.

Arctic_Wolf
2nd Sep 2002, 23:46
What version of DirectX are you using?

ChaosWolf
3rd Sep 2002, 08:50
windows xp dosen't use direct x. But its not the op because it works fine with other xp machines.

DMA57361
3rd Sep 2002, 12:37
Uhhhh. XP don't use DirectX? You sure about that one?

Don't have XP myself but I'm pretty sure it would. Especially as most games now-a-days use it to communicate with your hardware . . .

Also the min-spec on my Startopia box asks for "DirectX 8.0a Compatable" hardware. Which would imply DirectX is needed as well.

I suspect you have a version of it and don't realise. Since it would have (probably) been installed with the operating system.

ChaosWolf
3rd Sep 2002, 17:41
woops. Yes it does version 8.1 i found out that the xp version of directx has had problems with the older version of the amd. maybe thats why the game runs slow.

Mucky Foot
3rd Sep 2002, 19:55
Could you find a file called "your gfxcard.txt" and send it to webmaster@muckyfoot.com with a brief explanation referencing this thread. I'll have a look at it and see if there's anything obviously wrong.

My main suspect is that the AGP stuff isn't working properly - that can cripple graphics cards. But that's just a guess. Make sure you have the full set of updated motherboard drivers - for some chipsets there can be as many as three different bits, but it does depend :-(

The other thing that can happen is that forcing antialiasing in through the video card driver panel can cause a lot of slowdown. If you want antialiasing, turn it on in StarTopia's video options instead.

And of course try all the usual other things in the Muckyfoot technical FAQ.

TomF.

Death Busters
3rd Sep 2002, 22:27
Another thing to do is CTRL+ALT+DEL and close all but systray, and explorer, the two programs required by windows. I have no idea how well it will work as far as decreasing work for processesor, but it may be something on the tray or unseen that is conflicting or leaking memory...

ChaosWolf
3rd Sep 2002, 23:24
thanks for all the advice but nothing has work so i formated my hd and installed ME instead of XP and the game runs fine now. When i get a athlon xp ill go back to xp.

Thanks

Chaos Wolf

DMA57361
4th Sep 2002, 10:48
Ha!

I always told my mates ME is better than XP, none of them believed me. *Dances*

:D :D