PDA

View Full Version : System specs for UT2003 might give some hints

Huntress
1st Sep 2002, 00:48
Operating System: WIN 98/ME/2000/XP
CPU: Pentium III or AMD Athlon 733MHz processor (*Pentium® or AMD 1.0 GHz or greater RECOMMENDED)
Memory: 128 MB RAM (256 MB RAM or greater RECOMMENDED)
Hard Disk Space: 3 GB
CD ROM or CD/DVD ROM: 8X
Audio System: Windows compatible sound card (*Sound Blaster® Audigy(tm) series sound card RECOMMENDED) (NVIDIA nForce or other motherboards/soundcards containing the Dolby Digital Interactive Content Encoder required for Dolby Digital audio. Also RECOMMENDED)
Video System: 3D Accelerator card with 16 MB VRAM (*32-128 MB VRAM RECOMMENDED) 16 MB TNT2-class DirectX version 6 compliant video card. (*NVIDIA GeForce 2/ATI Radeon RECOMMENDED) DirectX version 8.1 (Included on game disc)
Multiplayer: Internet (TCP/IP) and LAN (TCP/IP) play supported. *Internet play requires a 33.6 Kbps or faster modem

You read that alright -- 3 GB of free space required on your Hard Disk

Since they're using the new engine for our games being developed...thought this might give a little insight? WOW...3GB's HDD...crazy man! LOL Ta and Good Hunting!

Komag
1st Sep 2002, 02:04
Well I had a 40gig HD that was gettin' sorta full so I added in another 80gig (for 120 total) so I have the space available now :D I'm also all set for the rest of that list, so I'm sittin' pretty for a year at least it looks like, maybe a couple years, then more upgrades will follow :)

THEthief
1st Sep 2002, 02:10
Originally posted by Komag
Well I had a 40gig HD that was gettin' sorta full so I added in another 80gig (for 120 total) so I have the space available now :D I'm also all set for the rest of that list, so I'm sittin' pretty for a year at least it looks like, maybe a couple years, then more upgrades will follow :)

Hehehe, I know whatcha mean - we originally had a 60 gig hard drive (which is almost ALL full - less than 4 gigabytes left!), and we bought a 120 gig hard drive...now I'm waiting for it to be installed...:p (I'd do it myself, but, if something went wrong, I'd get in LOADS of trouble!:D).

I'm ready for next year's line of games, anyways. :p

Huntress
1st Sep 2002, 02:22
My only real set-back would seem to be installing DX8.1...still dubious about it so haven't done it yet. They're gonna get me yet it seems...I just worry how it will affect T2 and my other games/FM's, etc. Some ppl say it's fine and others had problems with it running right. I don't want to have to re-install everything if it doesn't :( I know there's some kind of removal of DX 8 so you don't have to keep it and reinstall a different version? I don't know, has anyone actually tried it and does it work without a hassle?

My HDD is OK too as I've tried to keep it pretty clean, looking toward the games I want to get..so I've got ample room still :) but my good lord...what a demand to make on your system resources! :eek: :D Ta and Good Hunting!

theBlackman
1st Sep 2002, 02:49
Originally posted by Huntress
My only real set-back would seem to be installing DX8.1...still dubious about it so haven't done it yet. They're gonna get me yet it seems...I just worry how it will affect T2 and my other games/FM's, etc.

The Thief (all versions and Dromed) games seem to run fine on my system with DX 8.1. Most of the new Sound and V cards say they need 8.1 to run at full throttle.

I have had no problems with any game with DX 8.1.

DXbuster is available. I have used it two or three times when reconfiguring. It also works well.

So I don't think Dx 8 or 8.1 is going to cause a problem. There is a CD patch for DX 8. and 8.1 that you might need so check the DX site at MS for the info.

Look for DX Buster here:
http://pcmedicdirect.com/downloads/Win%209x/Direct%20X/DX%20Buster/

http://devhood.com/tools/tool_details.aspx?tool_id=675

BmanRogue
1st Sep 2002, 03:25
Whew!, I just came up for air from my first marathon Thief session in almost a year. Boy it feels good!

My $.02

Something else to consider... Keeping your system drive tidy and uncluttered is very important for your PC.

For those of you in the market, may I suggest "FireWire" (AKA 1394 & i-link) drives. Start with a good, fast 40gig+ 7200 RPM system drive and use it only for the actual programs. Then pick up and install a "FireWire" card. They are under $30 in most cases. And lastly, an 80gig 7200 RPM FireWire harddrive for your Media drive... Store all your saves, Dromed levels, Maps, Music, copies of disks, pics & videos... everything that isn't a program.

These drives are very cost effective, portable & you can daisy chain up to 64 of them!

Computer fairs are a great place to pick up stuff cheap. The businesses all have websites and I have never had a problem getting a refund. Last month I was at one and a booth was selling brand new 1.2GHz systems that included a 40gig drive 128 meg of RAM sound & videocards, CD ROM, everything but the keyboard, mouse, monitor & OS for $289.00. I picked up 2 CD ROM drives, a 3.5 drive, and an 80gig 7200RPM HD for under $160. It's a great place to get a deal.

On-line you can go to www.pricewatch.com for some good prices as well.