PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know how to clean silver?

Jade
30th Aug 2002, 20:16
i've got this silver necklace and it's really dirty. i tried cleaning it with water and soap, but it didn't help.
i'd really appreciate some help with it!

Aquarius
30th Aug 2002, 20:22
Now I'm not saying that this actually works, so don't try it, unless it's confirmed by someone else! I think I heard once that Lime or Lemon Juice can be used to help clean certain metals..........

Solaris
30th Aug 2002, 20:23
Originally posted by Jade
i've got this silver necklace and it's really dirty. i tried cleaning it with water and soap, but it didn't help.
i'd really appreciate some help with it!

well there is this grease that they sell to clean silver..i forgot the name of it...

but my grandmother cleans silver by using cooking oil (please do not try this if not secure of cleaning ur silver with cooking ingredients)

:p :D Hope that helps good luck :p :D

CyCro
30th Aug 2002, 20:34
Some baking soda will do it. ;)

cowboy from hell
30th Aug 2002, 21:16
Call your local jewler or the jewlery section a department store. They usually have a special cleaner they will sell you that is made mostly of baking soda, a mild solvent, and something to remove any oxidation.

Prelude
30th Aug 2002, 23:42
it has to be real silver or it will go green!!!!! but a silver cleaner is best, gee what a concept!!!! or try washing up liquid and a nail brush!

Lara Croft Online
31st Aug 2002, 02:19
http://www.ontv2u.com/images/TARN_X_JEWELRY_CLEANER.jpg

http://www.ontv2u.com/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=348&aff=24949

JunoJIm
31st Aug 2002, 03:24
Hey Jade - !!!

Careful with that TarnX - it works, but is strong !!! Also smells like rotton eggs !!!

Also, like Prelude says, if it's not real silver, or even thin silver plate, any abrasive or strong cleaner will ruin it - I know - LOL

Jade
31st Aug 2002, 09:45
wow, i didn't expect so many people to answer!
my necklace is real silver and i'll try some of
those methods. thx everyone!;)