PDA

View Full Version : Downloading FM's

Caradavin1
30th Aug 2002, 04:09
So, I download some FM's (Taffer's Tower and Restored Cathedral pt. 2 to name a couple). Now, I have to use a Public Puter to get the games for my home puter, and since I am still technologically deprived (in some aspects) I have to use filesplitter to split the original file into 1.38 MB segments. I've done this before with no problem, but lately when I join them at home, I end up with empty folders. Any ideas??

:confused:

Peter_Smith
30th Aug 2002, 06:31
Sorry. I don't have any experience with filesplitter. That sounds like a very tedious way to go, considering that many FM's would span 10 or more floppies. It seems to me that you have two reasonable choices: get your own internet service (preferred) or download to a computer that has a CD/RW drive (and don't forget to make the CD readable on all computers when you eject it. If you get connected, you may learn some things and eventually become technologically undeprived (if that is a word).:)

Zaccheus
30th Aug 2002, 11:50
Originally posted by Caradavin1
So, I download some FM's (Taffer's Tower and Restored Cathedral pt. 2 to name a couple). Now, I have to use a Public Puter to get the games for my home puter, and since I am still technologically deprived (in some aspects) I have to use filesplitter to split the original file into 1.38 MB segments. I've done this before with no problem, but lately when I join them at home, I end up with empty folders. Any ideas??

Restored Cathedral pt. 2 ???

That hasn't been released yet !!!
(I'm the author).

theBlackman
30th Aug 2002, 22:25
Originally posted by Caradavin1

Most Public puters (libraries etc) will not accept DL's from many sites that are not on a recognized list of sites.

Nor will they allow ancillary programs of many types to be loaded into the computer.

You might check with the Reference Librarian or whomever controls the puter. If it is an INET cafe type place or a Library you may be limited to text or other file programs for downloading.

Caradavin1
31st Aug 2002, 09:20
My bad, Zaccheus

Zaccheus
2nd Sep 2002, 12:01
But v1 is only 1.2MB, so you can get it onto a single disk !
:)

Xcom
2nd Sep 2002, 18:11
What kinda filesplitter you are talking about? Is that a separate programme? Also reformat the floppy disks, just in case.

Alternatively, if you have WinZip on your public computer, you can use multiple disk spanning (if not, skip this whole story unless you can install it there.).
Suppose you downloaded a file fm.zip which is 2 mb (won't fit on a single floppy disk). Rename the file to fm.bla. Then, right click on it, choose "add to zip". Type a:\ in the address field (empty floppy disk must be in the drive) and click "Add". It will compress it directly to the floppy and then will prompt you to insert another disk (and so it will go on. If it's a big file, you should write numbers on the disks :D ).

When extracting, you basicly reverse the procedure by first insterting the last disk (IIRC), clicking extract and then keep inserting the following disks. When file is completely extracted, rename it back to fm.zip.

Caradavin1
4th Sep 2002, 05:13
Thank you for the info, guys. I did finally get some of the Fm's to work, (except restored cath v.1 has no textures..., but I can tell the workmanship is beautiful), I think it's a mixture of sectors getting damaged somehow on my disk. The Filesplitter Utility I use is for Windows, it works wonders for 1.38 hard disks, I don't have winzip, but I will remember the info for future reference. Thanks again.