PDA

View Full Version : Optimizing - How????

Caradavin1
29th Aug 2002, 03:35
I have been trying to get my stubborn computer to optimize ever since I've been using Dromed (I don't know - I lost count). I get this error message that my computer (Windows ME) won't support it but I can try by right-clicking Dromed icon to Properties, and then pushing okay and following dialogue from there. Well, when I get to Properties, there are no choices for optimization. And pushing okay does nothing. So is it a typo, or am I completely missing something. I so need to optimize (I think).:confused:

theBlackman
29th Aug 2002, 04:04
Originally posted by Caradavin1
I have been trying to get my stubborn computer to optimize ever since I've been using Dromed (I don't know - I lost count). I get this error message that my computer (Windows ME) won't support it but I can try by right-clicking Dromed icon to Properties, and then pushing okay and following dialogue from there. Well, when I get to Properties, there are no choices for optimization. And pushing okay does nothing. So is it a typo, or am I completely missing something. I so need to optimize (I think).:confused:

Unless I am mistaken, the TOOL menu in DROMED has OPTOMIZE just under PORTALIZE in the dropdown menu.

It is a function of DROMED not the OPSYS (W98/ME)

Komag
29th Aug 2002, 04:53
Maybe he's referring to the "Let Darkloader Optimize your TG installation" or something. But if it's truly about Dromed, then "what he said" :)

Caradavin1
30th Aug 2002, 03:22
Oops, I said it wrong. Whenever I go to Tools - Optimize, it starts to do so, then I get a popup error message that says that I can't Optimize, that I have to right-click the icon for Dromed and follow the instructions, then push okay. So I close the error message, and Dromed portalizes it. But, no matter what I've done I can't Optimize.

If optimizing is not necessary, then it's okay. I've read, though, that optimizing helps with polycount. No one else has had a problem using Tools-Optimize on Windows ME?:(

Caradavin1
30th Aug 2002, 03:41
:)

xarax
30th Aug 2002, 03:52
Maybe you're missing the CSGMERGE.exe (I think that's the name) program that DromEd calls when you select Optimize? You may have to do a re-install or find it on the CD and copy it to the Thief folder.

Komag
30th Aug 2002, 07:01
Yeah, xarax has a good guess there. Otherwise I've never ever ever heard of the problem you're having. Good luck! And you're right, you conceivably release a full mission without ever optimizing it, just not advised.

THEthief
30th Aug 2002, 18:30
No one else has had a problem using Tools-Optimize on Windows ME?:(

I haven't - but I've had trouble portalizing - it just freezes the whole thing. Drives me crazy. :(

Telliamed_
31st Aug 2002, 05:47
I get a popup error message that says that I can't Optimize, that I have to right-click the icon for Dromed and follow the instructions, then push okay.

It would help if you could tell us exactly what this error message is. It's not common and doesn't even sound like it's coming from Dromed but perhaps Windows or something else.

Caradavin1
1st Sep 2002, 06:23
Okay, Let's start with that I have Thief 2, Dromed version Final 1.18, Windows ME (2000).

Now, when I am working on a level, I click on TOOLS, then on OPTIMIZE. Then a dialog box pops up with the following message:

MS-DOS Prompt: (and an exclamation point in yellow triangle)

This program runs in MS-DOS mode (real mode) which this version of Windows does not support. You can attempt to run this program in an MS-DOS window as follows:
Right-click the icon for the program, click Properties, click Yes in the dialog that appears. Restart the Program. Or contact program's manufacturer for an updated version.

:mad:
Now, I did as it says, and all I got was a typical Properties box that told me how big the file was, what type of program, etc... - BUT no option to run in real mode or any kind of mode. Also, I have the highest version of Dromed possible, so there's nothing I can do there. Also, I tried just using the Standard VGA driver, but nothing changed.

So, can anyone help me?????

P.S. - I tried CSMerge, but nothing changed.

xarax
6th Sep 2002, 22:34
Seems like it's barfing on trying to run CSGMERGE.exe program. Perhaps you can change the properties of that program so that it doesn't want 'real mode' (whatever that is). Find the program using Windows Explorer and right click to bring up the "Properties" for the program. Then try to change the properties so that it doesn't want "real mode".

Wish I could be more helpful, but I am a Windows novice (always was -- always will be).

Telliamed_
7th Sep 2002, 09:28
Okay, Let's start with that I have Thief 2, Dromed version Final 1.18, Windows ME (2000).

MS-DOS Prompt: (and an exclamation point in yellow triangle)

Ugh! Can someone verify that other people with WinME have been able to run CSGMerge?

CSGMerge is a console application: it runs in a window that looks like DOS-mode. But it's still a true Win32 application. Your WinME seems to be confused about that. Have you installed all of the patches from WindowsUpdate?

You might also want to check that the only CSGMERGE.EXE is in your Thief directory. No CSGMERGE.BAT or CSGMERGE.PIF or CSGMERGE.COM.

xarax
7th Sep 2002, 17:28
I am using WindowsME and optimizing works fine for me.

Xcom
7th Sep 2002, 17:43
Do you have a file called dos4gw.exe somewhere in your %PATH%. Apparently, cgsmerge needs it to run (as some official doc states). Search for the file in your C drive (if you have it, what directory is it in?).

Telliamed_
8th Sep 2002, 05:09
Uhh.... No. CSGMerge is a native 32-bit windows app. It doesn't need any of that DOS trickery.

CSGMerge should be 191020 bytes, dated Jul 11, 1998. (At least, mine is.)

MS Knowledge base is being as unhelpful as always.

Xcom
8th Sep 2002, 16:09
You are probably right. The document, I read this in, is called Optimize.doc and dates to 1997. So it's older that csgmerge.exe itself. They were probably speaking of an older version.

Caradavin1
11th Sep 2002, 04:34
Boy am I glad to see more replies. :D :D

I am going home to search for my files and see if I have them all, I will reply tomorrow (I should remember).

Caradavin1
15th Sep 2002, 19:46
MY DOS4GW is in Tombraider.

TRoosevelt_26
21st Sep 2002, 19:49
MY DOS4GW is in Tombraider.

Haha! So's mine. :)

And DromEd has always worked perfectly on my Win/ME, including portalization and optimization. Hope you get it resolved.

Caradavin1
19th Oct 2002, 19:14
I still cannot get the durned optimizing to work!!! I really think that if I could optimize I would reduce some polys. Is there no hope? (dramatic "woe is me" pose) So far, there have been no huge problems...it's just inconvenient. Anyway, I hate the idea of reinstalling Dromed AGAIN (t'would be time number three), but I doubt it would help if I did - since it's never worked either installation. I think I have DOS problems - my EMM386 has caused problems for me from day one (it won't run, or be recognized by WindowsME), could this be part of the problem???

:confused: :confused: :confused:

theBlackman
19th Oct 2002, 19:47
I still cannot get the durned optimizing to work!!! I really think that if I could optimize I would reduce some polys. Is there no hope? (dramatic "woe is me" pose) So far, there have been no huge problems...it's just inconvenient. Anyway, I hate the idea of reinstalling Dromed AGAIN (t'would be time number three), but I doubt it would help if I did - since it's never worked either installation. I think I have DOS problems - my EMM386 has caused problems for me from day one (it won't run, or be recognized by WindowsME), could this be part of the problem???

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Try Srt-Run-SFC
Then if it says file XXX has been corrupted re-install from your ME disc, or file(s).

Use the settings and prompt for backup.

If you know exactly which file may be your problem IE EMM386 then use the EXTRACT FROM at the bottom of the page.

I don't know if ME has this option (SFC) but it can restore the ORIGINAL SYSTEM files for your Opsys.

Telliamed_
20th Oct 2002, 06:57
EMM386 is a relic from the DOS age and has no business being on a machine running Windows ME.

The only thing I can tell you to do is to reinstall Windows -- and a clean install at that.And don't even bother trying to run any old DOS-mode stuff under Windows ME. If you still have old stuff that needs DOS, you're better off with Win98se.

Caradavin1
8th Jan 2003, 19:51
Boy, the past two days have been packed with great things. So, anyone applicable has permission to shoot me - here's what the problem was. LOL

I had to right click the MS-DOS program icon and tell Windows ME to use a window to run the program in. That's it, I am now optimizing. Thanks for trying to help, everyone.

theBlackman
8th Jan 2003, 20:30
Glad you got it sorted out. Looks like ME will NOT be on my to do list.

Although, as I said in another post, I may experiment with XP Home.