PDA

View Full Version : Thief in triangular box?

Gumdrop
25th Aug 2002, 12:25
Hmm...I've just poked my nose in Ebay UK and came across a strange sight. Have a look (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1374563966) for yourselves. :confused:

Has anyone got a copy of this edition? I've never come across it before and don't recall reading about it anywhere.

Edit: Bah who cares...I'm bidding. Realising my collection isn't complete is terrifying indeedy. :eek: :D

RicknMel
25th Aug 2002, 12:39
I have TG and T2, and they're both in boxes like that. :p

Gumdrop
25th Aug 2002, 12:48
Originally posted by RicknMel
I have TG and T2, and they're both in boxes like that. :p

What?! You mean I need to find a T2 triangular box too?! Drats...A Taffer's work is never done. :rolleyes:

Maybe these are US only editions?

Old Man
25th Aug 2002, 13:20
I've got both TG and T2 in triangular boxes in Canada. EB, I think. Could be US edition.

RiCh
25th Aug 2002, 13:21
WOW, talk about cutting corners on production costs :D Never seen that one before? I could be a complete git now and also bid for it :D nar it’s all yours Gumdrop! I’d only throw the box up in the loft with the others anyway J

Nightwalker
25th Aug 2002, 13:32
I've got 3 of those nice triangular boxes. I didn't know it came packaged any other way. :)

BrokenArts
25th Aug 2002, 14:47
Add another one to the masses here. I have T2, just on disk, and found T2 last year at *EB* in that purdy triangular box. Bought Thief Gold from GM in that type of box, over a year ago now.
Man how time flies! So, I have a back-up copy for each, gold and T2 now.
AND! I just purchased from Evilbay, :p :D Thief Dark Project, a *BUY NOW* option for $7.99. And yes, in that triangular box. :D
I think the boxes are cool, different box for such a terrific and different game.

RicknMel
25th Aug 2002, 15:01
So just out of curiosity......
How much in Amercan Dollars is [insert funky L here]2.40 ??

Lake
25th Aug 2002, 15:08
Originally posted by Nightwalker
I've got 3 of those nice triangular boxes. I didn't know it came packaged any other way. :)

Beat you. I have got four.

BrokenArts
25th Aug 2002, 15:08
Rick, about time and a half. $3.60?? I think that is correct. Unless the exchange rate has changed.
So, damn get it GumDrop. That's a good price. :)

BrokenArts
25th Aug 2002, 17:24
You know what I just realized, the shape of the box is almost the shape of Garrett in his cloak. Yeah, I know, what are you talking about? If you look at the picture of Garrett on the cover, look at his shape, almost triangular, same as the box. ;) Hhhmmmmm....:D

Apache
25th Aug 2002, 17:55
I win..
I have
Thief - The Dark Project
Thief - Gold
Thief2 - TMA
all in triangle boxes.
Plus I have unopened
Thief - Platium
Thief - Gold
Thief2 - TMA
all also in those triangle boxes.

:D :D :D
I really need a better hobby/life. :rolleyes:

theBlackman
25th Aug 2002, 18:21
I just threw away 12 triangular boxes, 4 gold, 2 TDP1, 6 T2.

Actually it was about a month ago. I still have my original three, TDP Platinum, Tgold, and TMA boxes.

BTH TOMB RAIDER also came in the Triangular box.

Komag
25th Aug 2002, 18:26
Umm HELLO!

It's not a triangle!!!

It's

a

TRAPEZOID

:eek: :D :cool:

theBlackman
25th Aug 2002, 18:33
Originally posted by Komag
Umm HELLO!

It's not a triangle!!!

It's

a

TRAPEZOID

:eek: :D :cool:

PICKY PICKY PICKY LOL

Gumdrop
25th Aug 2002, 22:04
Originally posted by Komag
...It's not a triangle!!!

Don't you know a trapezoid is a female triangle?! :D

Well the game is mine, so I only have to dig out TG and T2 in the same packaging to complete the set. I have play copies of all three games (BM threw me TG), and so far have T1 & T2 unpatched shrink wrapped boxes. I also have shrink wrapped UK budget versions of T1 & T2, and will look into the US side of things to see if they have different covers ect...

Oh and the glass case and booby trapped display stand are on order! :D

Fafhrd
26th Aug 2002, 00:58
I had the trapezoidal boxes for all three, they've long since been recycled though...

I only save special/limited edition boxes, like my non-protoss cover starcraft box.. actually, I think that's the only special box I've actually saved...

clayman
26th Aug 2002, 01:45
I have all geometric shapes, in all versions...and several copies. I am the Thief MacDaddy. :D

You people who fritter over trapeziod vs. triangle....are just lame limpoid taffers. ;)

theBlackman
26th Aug 2002, 02:13
Originally posted by clayman
...are just lame limpoid taffers. ;)

OOOOOOOOH what you said!!

RiCh
26th Aug 2002, 05:15
Can I ask a question? Why do people have multiple copies of the same game? It doesn’t make any sense to me, why waste money on a game you already have?

Nightwalker
26th Aug 2002, 12:04
For me, they're "just in case" copies.:D As in, just in case my disc gets scratched. They're too hard to find now and you can't just go out and pick up a new one if something goes wrong. :)

clayman
26th Aug 2002, 13:05
Originally posted by RiCh
Can I ask a question?

No. :D

Why do people have multiple copies of the same game? It doesn’t make any sense to me, why waste money on a game you already have?

Stubborn fellow. I said no, didn't I ? Insurance policy against a wrecked CD. And I exaggerated a bit above, I only have two copies of everything. :)

yubetcha
26th Aug 2002, 18:02
Would you call a rectangle a square? Or a circle a rectangle? I'm sure that you would flunk geometry if you did. The word trapezoid must've come into existence for a reason :). Would you call Brokenarts Bravus? :D
(<small>You can call me Ray. Or you can call me Jay :) ) A big **** to anyone who can tell us what that is from

bravus
26th Aug 2002, 18:13
Yubetcha wrote:

<b>Would you call a rectangle a square? Or a circle a rectangle? I'm sure that you would flunk geometry if you did. The word trapezoid must've come into existence for a reason. Would you call Brokenarts Bravus?</b>

/me puts on a dress, swings from a chandalier and bats his eyelashes - and everyone within 10 km runs away screaming! Nope, that experiment didn't work.

<b>(You can call me Ray. Or you can call me Jay ) A big **** to anyone who can tell us what that is from</b>

I know the answer, but I think I want to know what a 'big ****' is before I give it! It's a big hugg, right? It's from that very wonderful Scatterbrain song 'Don't Call Me Dude'. I have their album and it rocks.

Bravus

BrokenArts
26th Aug 2002, 18:23
Originally posted by bravus
Yubetcha wrote:

<b> Would you call Brokenarts Bravus?</b>

/me puts on a dress, swings from a chandalier and bats his eyelashes - and everyone within 10 km runs away screaming! Nope, that experiment didn't work.

Bravus

http://216.40.241.68/otn/tongue/newtonguesmile.gif http://www.gamers-forums.com/smilies/cwm/cwm/eek3.gif Sorry dude's I don't lend my dresses to no one, :p besides Bravus, you'd bust right outta my dress, if you rippa my seams, it'll cost ya. :D

theBlackman
26th Aug 2002, 18:37
Originally posted by yubetcha

(<small>You can call me Ray. Or you can call me Jay :) ) A big **** to anyone who can tell us what that is from

I don't know about Scatterbrained, or "Don't call me dude" but the bit is from a comedy routine from the 60's.

Sadly I don't remember the name of the comedian.

Huntress
26th Aug 2002, 19:59
Both my copies came in that packaging as well as Starcraft. It was Eidos's distinctive packaging method. Sadly, I believe I read where they're not going to do that any longer. In fact, I believe there has been discussion about eliminating large boxes for many games now. :( Too bad, as it's been said...will reduce the ability to include many nice/full manuals for a game and go to perhaps just the .pdf versions included on your disk. So you get to print it out instead. Guess it's a money saving feature for them but kindof short changing the buyer. I like keeping all my boxes...I think they're nice to have just for a keepsake for your hobby :) or your addiction if you will :D

Ta and Good Hunting!

Fafhrd
26th Aug 2002, 21:33
ah, I know exactly where the ray/jay comes from

I don't know if it was a real comedian (it seems likely based on other responses) but its ray jay johnson, and it was used in the simpsons.. apparently he guest co-hosted with krusty in the past (never made an appearance on the show to my knowledge...)

theBlackman
26th Aug 2002, 22:10
Originally posted by Fafhrd
ah, I know exactly where the ray/jay comes from

I don't know if it was a real comedian (it seems likely based on other responses) but its ray jay johnson, and it was used in the simpsons.. apparently he guest co-hosted with krusty in the past (never made an appearance on the show to my knowledge...)

The comedian was on television in the late 60's early 70's. In appearance he looked like Earnest of "Earnest goes to...." Etc.

He was popular about the same time as the Landing on the moon, and the first spacewalk. About the same time as the comedian who did the "My nime izz Hosay Himenaz, and I am a Spazemen." routine, Bob and Ray, and the Oldest Man in the World.

For most of you this is well before your time.

Peter_Smith
27th Aug 2002, 04:31
Haha! I remember him well. He got a lot of mileage out of that schtik. I think it goes something like this: Now you can call me Ray, or you can call me Jay, or you can even call me Ray Jay, but you dasn't call me Mr. Johnson. Is that it?:)

As for the boxes, I have three of those puppies sitting in a row in my closet. I've thrown away every other software box but those....

theBlackman
27th Aug 2002, 06:53
Originally posted by Peter Smith
Haha! I remember him well. He got a lot of mileage out of that schtik. I think it goes something like this: Now you can call me Ray, or you can call me Jay, or you can even call me Ray Jay, but you dasn't call me Mr. Johnson. Is that it?:)

Yeah that's the guy. Predates the Simpsons, and Scatterbrain by a good 25 to 30 years.

Thanks Peter

Old Man
27th Aug 2002, 09:02
My wife says Ray Jay was on the old Smothers Brothers show. Y'all remember that one, eh?

yubetcha
27th Aug 2002, 11:04
Peter and theBlackman are right. You both get hugs. So go hug each other :D Or go hug Bravus LOL!
I also remember it in the late 60s or early 70s.
Oh, and I also liked the Smother Brothers show. They were rebellious in that they always tried to submit their show for airing when the censors didn't have time to edit it. And remember "Mom always liked you best"? LOL! And that Pat Paulson "running" for president! What a riot! I have an old album of their jokes too. There was one part where Tommy said that he was going to impersonate a guy named John Schwartz. And then he said, not even trying to disguise his voice, "Hi. I'm John Schwartz". Oh well. You had to be there, I guess. :)

Fafhrd
27th Aug 2002, 15:02
no, I meant he was MENTIONED on the simpsons - the episode where krusty has the comeback special with all the guest stars on it.

considering he DOES predate me by a bit, that's the only place I know the routine from... which is why I wasn't sure if he was real or made up prior to now.