PDA

View Full Version : Demo Illegal Error Fix

Xplosive22
25th Aug 2002, 09:26
After a couple of days of pondering why I continues to get an "Illegal Error" when trying to run the game I figured this out. Now mind you this does play with the configuration file so be careful on what you remove because you want to get these exact lines to make the game run. For Eidos this was the error and what files I removed to correct it:

This error came up every time I tried to run the game...

HITMAN2 caused an invalid page fault in
module KERNEL32.DLL at 0167:bff7e6df.
Registers:
EAX=e33f1b20 CS=0167 EIP=bff7e6df EFLGS=00010212
EBX=00000000 SS=016f ESP=0089ff58 EBP=008a0170
ECX=bff99354 DS=016f ESI=006fd924 FS=33cf
EDX=bffc9490 ES=016f EDI=81e50718 GS=0000
Bytes at CS:EIP:
53 56 57 33 f6 8d 8d f0 fe ff ff 89 75 f8 ff 75
Stack dump:

I played with the files to see what worked and what didn't. When I came across these files in the configuration file, Hitman2.ini I tried this with no expectations. I removed these lines from the file and saved it, then ran the game and it started just fine.

SoundDll SoundEngine.dll
ScriptDll SDL_Engine.dll
ScriptIfDll ScriptInterfaces.dll

They are right near the top of the script. Although this removes sound from the game it allows it to work. I'm not sure their relation to kernel32.dll but that is for the programmers to figure out.

Now for my system I am running:
AMD Thunderbird 1.2ghz
GeForce2 DH MX Pro
My sound card is SoundBlaster but I'm not sure on the exact model.
575 mb of ram
Windows 98

I don't believe its an incapatability issue since it is those sound file lines that were causing the problem. Good luck working that out though. If there is any need for more information about this please feel free to e-mail me. xplosive22@hotmail.com

Regards,
Adam C.

Xplosive22
25th Aug 2002, 09:41
Well it seems that removing the sound commands has led to yet another problem. The game is able to start up, but once the video plays out before you start the mission it goes blank. It doesn't load no matter how long I leave it. Hmm I will have to look into that tomorrow when I get the time. Possibly there is a way to bypass deleting the command lines rather than deleting them.

Xplosive22
25th Aug 2002, 09:55
Amidst my excitement I didn't realize that I had actually removed two script lines as well as the sound line. Disregard all three files I said to remove in my first post and ONLY remove this one.

SoundDll SoundEngine.dll

Then save Hitman2.ini and play the game. It works fine now and I am able to load the level and all of that loveliness. Again, sorry for any inconvenience that may have been caused by my earlier post.