PDA

View Full Version : College

NoobSaibot
24th Aug 2002, 20:00
Although I don't post much any way, I am going to be even more scares for the neer future. Only on the week ends will I be any were neer this forum, unfortunatly. I am sure all of you in school and college can relate. So, will see all you when ever I can.

Serul
24th Aug 2002, 20:30
Good luck wiht school then. And "see" you in the weekends. ;)

Lady Kreliana
24th Aug 2002, 22:57
Good luck, Noob!

Umah Bloodomen
24th Aug 2002, 23:49
Have fun!

Apocrypha Roxy
26th Aug 2002, 02:58
Enjoy school!

And bring plenty of edibles with you - good for when you cram for exams and just for the sake of not starving yourself to Raziel's jean size (-000) :D

After all, we can't have you collapse in nutrition deficiency in the middle of class, can we? ;)

Lady Kreliana
26th Aug 2002, 03:33
He's a college man now, Roxy. Nutrition goes out the window in a dorm. :D

Apocrypha Roxy
27th Aug 2002, 01:26
What about we soon-to-be(next year) college women? Does this mean I finally have an easy means of loosing weight?!?!

If so, college dorms should be crammed! :D

Lady Kreliana
27th Aug 2002, 02:39
Being a college girl myself, I can safely say that nutrition goes out the window. Especially when you eat cafeteria food most of the time. (My school's meal plan SUCKS) So, yeah, you could lose weight if you're forced to eat nasty food all the time. Nasty food takes away your appetite REALLY quickly.

Apocrypha Roxy
27th Aug 2002, 19:49
if I was to stay in a dorm, are we allowed hotplates or something?

I know it probably depends on what school you go to, and if I make it to NYU, I know there's plenty of restauraunts and cafes in the area (if I can afford them :rolleyes: ), so I won't completely starve, but it's always good to know if you can make some Ramen noodles! :D

Lady Kreliana
28th Aug 2002, 15:36
I wouldn't advise eating out a lot. It gets expensive REALLY quickly, believe me. (Unless you have a job) Most schools that I know of don't allow toasters, hotplates, Foreman grills, and other single coil heated cooking devices. If your dorms aren't furnished with stoves, you'll have to go with the microwave. Ramen noodles, as far as I know, can be made in the microwave so you will be able to munch on some of those. :)

The Lamb
28th Aug 2002, 20:42
Hehe. Try eating out in the UK.

I blew most of my student loan and job money on restaurants in my first year at Uni.

In my fourth year I had so little money I couldn't afford to feed myself for the whole year, so I had to bulk buy food. I lived off rice for most of the time - but hell that was a good year. As a chemist distilling rice wine is easy, so I still got to drink!

Ahh damn. I miss uni, working is such a drag, and who needs money anyway?

NoobSaibot
30th Aug 2002, 08:41
just for all of you to know, I am not in a dorm. I have been in a community college for the past 4 years earning two degrees part time. I have one of them and I am in my last two simesters to get the last. So I am not in a dorm. I like living in a house and going to college. I don't like going to work at 10 pm and not getting to bed untill 4am though.

darien_specter
3rd Sep 2002, 07:02
Ditto to everything Kreliana said... and don't expect me much, either. (If anyone missed my shining presence... :p) Except I actually gained weight... comes from a combo of the poor nutrition (like WAAAY too much soda) and a lack of opportunity to work it off... you'd think trekking across campus would help, but it doesn't. Of course, neither does beer... hmm.

Guinness, anyone? :D

Darakari
3rd Sep 2002, 12:05
Man, I feel bad for all of you that have to go to school up North and other places. My schooling took place in Louisiana where I grew up. The cafeteria at LSU had great food! All of my buddies and I always ate at the cafeteria, even though every wing of every floor of the dorms had a community kitchen that we could use.

But then again, Louisiana does have the best food in the entire U.S., so I can understand the crappy food over there. I have done a lot of travel both state-side and overseas and I always taste the local cuisine. Although I have tasted many delicious food from around the world, Louisana Cajun cooking still beats the competition hands down.

And what's up with people up north boiling vegetables until they taste like water? I've had meals up north where my glass of water had more flavor than the meal I was eating. And what's up with the raw meat? I don't want the cow squirming every time I stick it with the fork. I shouldn't cut a steak and have blood drip out of it. When I'm up north, I tell them to burn my steak, and it still comes out all pink and wiggly in the middle. I only like one thing that is pink, and it definitely is not steak! I see advertisements on the tv all the time with raw pink meat and the announcer is saying "mmm...look at this delicious steak", and I really don't see anything delicious about bloody meat.

The company I'm working for right now is paying me $1200 extra each month to live locally during my employment. The local
dorm I'm living in only costs $465 each month, so I'm making out like a bandit money-wise. Not living in a normal home stinks however, but at least I go home on the weekend.

Living in a one room dorm really limits your capabilities, but I've made up for them by getting a two-burner table-top electric stove, a George-Formen-type grill, and a crock pot. Plus, I brought half my cooking tools with me. With all this; I can still cook Phillipine, Cajun, Thai, Latin, Jamaican, Greek, or Indian food; even in my dorm room.

And no, Cajun cooking does NOT mean that you have to burn your mouth. REAL Cajun cooking means using spices to compliment and bring out the natural flavor of the food. I see northern people pouring a bottle of hot sauce on fried chicken wings and calling it hot wings. REAL hot wings sauce includes a lot more ingredients than just hot sauce. You have to SEASON your wings, not drown them in tabasco.

For all of you still in school, I know it's tough, but stick it out and get your degree. I see so many total idiots get high-paying jobs solely because they have a degree. So having your B.S. college degree (yes, it really does stand for Bull-$hit because college doesn't teach you anything useful) will definitely be a financial advantage for the rest of your life.

But if you want to keep thay high paying job, then after college you need to spend some time getting a REAL EDUCATION at a specialized school specifically teaching your career field. A college degree doesn't teach you diddly-squat, so the degree may get you the job, but REAL EDUCATION will allow you to KEEP that job. Otherwise, you'll either quickly find yourself laid off, or you have to wind up paying a big portion of your salary to someone like me to come in and do the job for you.

At the last job I had before my current one, everyone thought I was the Operations Manager because I was the one in his office all the time doing his job. He had the college degree, but no real education. I didn't mind that he got the credit for my work, because I was taking home a BIG portion of his paycheck for my own. And when he needed me to do overtime, I always jumped at the chance. If someone wants to throw piles of money at you for sacrificing a Saturday, then I say hey take the money.

It may be a major pain in the but now, but get your degree first, then get some REAL education; and you will be glad you did in the end.