PDA

View Full Version : Grid size for the roombrushes

Lytha
24th Aug 2002, 09:41
Just this question. Do you guys usually snap the roombrushes to grid 12 or to 11, or even smaller? I have them in 12 at the moment, and since I will touch each of them anyway for the EAX before the release, I thought I could just as well adjust their size then another bit.

Telliamed_
24th Aug 2002, 10:11
I actually don't snap room brushes at all. What I do is manually tweak the sizes to be either just a bit larger than the space they surround. (shift-insert sometimes makes the brush too large, if it's larger than 64). I like numbers that are multiples of 0.2. So I'll often have 16.8 room brushes. Or for doors, two brushes that are 1.2 wide.

The problem I have with snapped room brushes is when they end up overlapping a terrain brush and I need to select one or the other. With odd sizes there's always a corner showing.

AFAIK, it's only for portalization that snapping is critical. (Terrain brushes and terrain-like objects.) Since room and aren't used for portalizing, they don't need to be snapped. Flow brushes too.

Lytha
24th Aug 2002, 13:38
Flood brushes just don't like to get snapped at all, in my experience with them, that is.

So, you don't snap them at all... that means, it is not important for the DB calcs, I guess. Well, I guess I will go down to grid 11 or 10 then (I like grid-snapping the rooms.) ;)

Zaccheus
29th Aug 2002, 21:08
I do everything in 12 from start to finish.

I only snap room brushes if i need to move them, because I use SHIFT-INSERT wherever possible.

Lytha
30th Aug 2002, 12:27
Shift-Insert produces ugly rooms when the airbrush is bigger than something. Plus, well... in my outside area, there was not much to do with Shift-Ins.

Zaccheus
3rd Sep 2002, 12:57
Like I said: "when possible".
:)

Actually, I've now started tweeking the numbers in the boxes rather than using the mouse, because that avoids the room brushes snapping.
So I guess I never snap room brushes.