PDA

View Full Version : ColoUr/Color me confused

rocconorth
23rd Aug 2002, 21:10
Come one come all...all English speakers of the world. Does anybody know why, when, or where the use of letter "U" in such words as favoUrite, coloUr, harboUr, etc diverged between America and the U.K.? I've noticed that the Brits use the "U" while the Yanks shun it. What gives? Can anyone shed any light on this subject of such great importance? I imagine probably not...so maybe ya'll could just give some more examples of words we two allies spell differently. It could be fun...maybe?

moose562
23rd Aug 2002, 21:31
well it always makes me laugh when i hear in the movies "can't you speak english?" when the actors obviously cannot.

The main difference is that american's speak american and english folk speak english...the Queens English :P I think somewhere in between the Atlantic when those ye olde pilgrims set sail from somewhere to the new world, they forgot how to speak and write English properly.

I mean itmust have been MONTHS at sea ;) hehe

I have no idea....

rocconorth
23rd Aug 2002, 22:04
Originally posted by moose562

The main difference is that american's speak american and english folk speak english...the Queens English :P I think somewhere in between the Atlantic when those ye olde pilgrims set sail from somewhere to the new world, they forgot how to speak and write English properly.

Hey! What's up with the sarcastic comments Moose? We don't need that here. I was asking a very serious question.

*Rocconorth stops to think....wait a minute...I'm always making sarcastic comments in threads and this thread is really not serious at all.*

Oh sod-it!!!(Are you impressed my Brit bretheren?) Carry on. Let the war of "words" begin. (That's really what I wanted anyway!!!)http://www.click-smilie.de/sammlung/teufel/teufel006.gif

MountainDewNut
23rd Aug 2002, 22:33
A word that has been troubling me for years now is, gray/grey. On crayola crayons it's called gray but everywhere else I find it grey

Staticon
24th Aug 2002, 00:08
I believe that the phonetic variations btween English and American are somehow related to the more cosmopolitan nature of American society.
With such a wide variety of nationalities of the many settlers who have made a home in the U.S.A., it is inevitable that the language would evolve along a differing path to native English.
With the increased immigration to the U.K., and the vast improvements in communications and travel, we are now seeing written and spoken native English changing.
I would imagine that, eventually, the language will homogenize and that all English speaking countries will, undoubtedly, speak and write the same. Though I expect local dialectual variations will persist.

Hope that helps.

BTW According to my dictionary:
Grey Of a colour that is intermediate between black and white, like that of ash or a raincloud.
Gray The SI unit of ionizing radiation equal to an absorbed dose of one joule per kilogram.

DaveJ
24th Aug 2002, 08:51
Aluminium.
Worcestershire.
Leicester.
Arkansas.
Kansas.
Catacomb.

Go play with these for a while.....
;)

Deekman
24th Aug 2002, 16:21
I let you know my thoughts after I cash my cheque.

I watched a PBS series on the English language quite a few years back.
I'd love to see that series again.
Did you know that the Southern drawl and vernacular heard in the Carolinas
is closer to the Queen's English than anywhere else in the US?

Gray and Grey are both acceptable for the spelling of the color.
As is ax or axe.
Is it Fairy or Faerie? Either are acceptable.

Many times I'll chose alternate spellings to evoke a certain mood.
Pyrate is much more colourful than pirate.

moose562
29th Aug 2002, 22:20
Originally posted by rocconorth

Hey! What's up with the sarcastic comments Moose? We don't need that here. I was asking a very serious question.

<looks forlorn>

Sorry ;) heh!

Prelude
30th Aug 2002, 00:00
Ok so this thread is far too intellectual for me so here’s some silly ones:

You Say............................We Say
Yield.................................Give way
Traffic circle......................Round about
Clutch..............................Creamy
Stoked.............................Ecstatic
Wasted............................Trolley’d
The *****..........................The Dogs
Spades............................Stacks
Watch the gap..................Mind the gap
Stuff................................Things
Thanks.............................Cheers
I take the fifth..................No comment (or sod off!)
Your welcome...................Always a pleasure
Have a nice day................Pi*s off and leave me alone

:D

Hålo
30th Aug 2002, 00:16
Im canadian...i only spell things with that stupid U when I do school projects(as I get marks off if I dont).

In real life, I dont use that crap.

rocconorth
30th Aug 2002, 01:26
Originally posted by Prelude
Ok so this thread is far too intellectual for me so here’s some silly ones:

You Say............................We Say
Yield.................................Give way
Traffic circle......................Round about
Clutch..............................Creamy
Stoked.............................Ecstatic
Wasted............................Trolley’d
The *****..........................The Dogs
Spades............................Stacks
Watch the gap..................Mind the gap
Stuff................................Things
Thanks.............................Cheers
I take the fifth..................No comment (or sod off!)
Your welcome...................Always a pleasure
Have a nice day................Pi*s off and leave me alone

:D

Can't you see why she's my "Goldmember"? I bow down. :)

rimfire
30th Aug 2002, 03:06
I hear that when a doctor tells you need to lose twenty pounds, he's talking about his bill.

DaveJ
30th Aug 2002, 08:43
Originally posted by Hålo
Im canadian...i only spell things with that stupid U when I do school projects(as I get marks off if I dont).

In real life, I dont use that crap.

Theres obviously a reason for 'that crap' then.

Nice list, prelude....the mutt's nuts indeed.

BeKs
5th Sep 2002, 22:33
Dont forget ... American to Brit

Bar = Pub / boozer
Glass of beer = A Pint!
Eraser = Rubber
Fries = Chips
Chips = Crisps
Panties = Pants
Pants = Trousers
Pack of Cigarrettes = Box of ***s
Friends = Mates
Sweater = Jumper
Sidewalk = Pavement
Elevator = Lift
Mall = Shopping center

And ... dont forget Cockney Rhyming slang!!!

Dog and Bone = Phone
Apples and Pears = Stairs
Trouble and Strife = me ... erm i mean wife
Brittany Spears = Beers
Battle Cruiser = Boozer

Nice good olde Brit paragraph for ya.....

Jump outta bed, put on my pants, then trousers, then jumper. Off down the local Battle Cruiser for a few Brittany Spears. Mates rang me on the new Dog and bone, grab my coat and head down the apple and pears. Take the lift down. Ran out of smokes but ill get a box of ***s from the pub. Maybe a couple bags of crisps too. Off down the pavement i go ...... Make mine a pint!

Leson over LOL

:p :p

Jewlia
6th Sep 2002, 00:06
To answer the original questioner, the reason why the yanks shun it is because of the direction in which this particular charactwer is written ie... from top left, underneath, back up to top right. Call me Mr logical but draw your own conclusions.

Prelude
6th Sep 2002, 00:46
Originally posted by BeKs

Nice good olde Brit paragraph for ya.....

Jump outta bed, put on my pants, then trousers, then jumper. Off down the local Battle Cruiser for a few Brittany Spears. Mates rang me on the new Dog and bone, grab my coat and head down the apple and pears. Take the lift down. Ran out of smokes but ill get a box of ***s from the pub. Maybe a couple bags of crisps too. Off down the pavement i go ...... Make mine a pint!

Hey Beks!!!! Good to see you back me old mucker!!! Where have you been? Couldn't Adam and Eve me mince pies!! :eek:

Btw nice listhttp://www.click-smilie.de/sammlung/ernaehrung/ernaehrung004.gif

Lara Croft Online
6th Sep 2002, 06:55
As long as I can understand it I'm ok. Plus UK and US
accents from all over are cool a nice contrast. If everyone
sounded the same it would be boring don't you think?

DaveJ
6th Sep 2002, 07:46
How long before yous guys drop the g in 'feign', the k in 'knife' or the p in 'psalm' too?

BeKs
6th Sep 2002, 08:50
Yeah i agree it would be a bit boring if everyone spoke the same, but as for accents - some are more desirable than others LOL. I try very much not to speak with the local one.

Hiyas Prelude!!!!! Yeah ive been real busy sorting my contest photos out for the Adventurers Place competition, was GREAT fun! Also ive gone and started playing Everquest again which i am TOTALLY addicted to LOL. Then there is my website ive been trying to sort LOL

Hopefully ill manage to keep posting on the forums i use, i like it here, dont let the men in white coats take me away!!! lol ;) :p

Solaris
6th Sep 2002, 20:41
I think the brits have a pretty cool accent..but they should really work on there slang..i mean dog an bone whats up wit that??
as far as the u's go as long as its the same word with the same meaning im fine:D.
:rolleyes:

Hey Beks your back! *pats beks hard in the back* so how ya been? from what i read above youve been busy (duh!). So arent you gonna raid with us anymore?:confused: :D ;)

Aquarius
6th Sep 2002, 20:56
I just have to say this one thing. When I was in London, everyone there seemed so nice. :) Like we went to this restaurant, and the watiress was like, "Oh I'm sorry love, it was my fault dahling." :D I loved that!!!! :p

Prelude
6th Sep 2002, 21:26
Originally posted by Aquarius
I just have to say this one thing. When I was in London, everyone there seemed so nice. :) Like we went to this restaurant, and the watiress was like, "Oh I'm sorry love, it was my fault dahling." :D I loved that!!!! :p

Cheers love :D

@Beks, wow you have been busy, well just glad to know you are ok, I was worried you'd have a little accident on that beast of a bike of yours!!!! Thought you might have tried to park it under someone’s car again :D just glad you are ok my dear. Are you gonna join in the raiding, you have been kept alive despite your absence, and the story could do with a little injection of Beks’s witty hUmoUr .

Solaris
6th Sep 2002, 21:29

hUmoUr .

its Humor! geez u brits, the U doesnt even sound so whats th epoint of..oh wait dont let me go there cause i know then someone else is gonna start saying well the k in Know is silent so then...

Nevermind bout that:rolleyes:

Aquarius
6th Sep 2002, 21:35

Cheers love :D

Right back at ya, dahling ;) :p

When the waitress said that to me, I had to keep from laughing like some dumb***, or looking giddy. :p But I just loved that! It's so awesome! :)

Solaris
6th Sep 2002, 21:36

Right back at ya, dahling ;) :p

oooo rocconorth Aquarius is hitting on ur wife (lol:p );)

rocconorth
6th Sep 2002, 21:38
Originally posted by Dagger of Xian

its Humor! geez u brits, the U doesnt even sound so whats th epoint of..oh wait dont let me go there cause i know then someone else is gonna start saying well the k in Know is silent so then...

Nevermind bout that:rolleyes:

but why do ya brits have to wirte with U????

I was going to scold that snobby Prelude about her shoving those "U's" in our faces again as well. However, you may need to explain to THEM what us "yanks" mean by the word "wirte"...come to think of it...could you explain it to me?:p

PS. I know it was a typo, but don't give these pretentious Brits anymore amo than they need!!!...I bet Prelude is already thinking of a way to work it into a reponse.

PPS. Hey "ML". It's all for S&G's you know.:D

Prelude
6th Sep 2002, 21:51
Originally posted by Dagger of Xian

oooo rocconorth Aquarius is hitting on ur wife (lol:p );)

Yes and he didn’t even notice, he is far too busy going on about U!!!! :rolleyes: Typical.

@ Aquarius I’m glad you think our accent is awesome, I happen to think that yours is simply adorable darling. :D

*flatters eyelashes at rocconorth* isn’t that right love :D

rocconorth
6th Sep 2002, 22:06

Yes and he didn’t even notice, he is far too busy going on about U!!!! :rolleyes: Typical.

@ Aquarius I’m glad you think our accent is awesome, I happen to think that yours is simply adorable darling. :D

I leave the country for a couple of weeks and you're already up to no good!!! I guess there's no "U" in commentment huh DARLING??!!!

*flatters eyelashes at rocconorth* isn’t that right love :D

Yes dear...*whipped*;)

Aquarius
6th Sep 2002, 22:17
Actually, I just like the 'love' and 'dahling' part. lol I love the Australian accent though!!!! :D :p

Solaris
7th Sep 2002, 02:31
Originally posted by rocconorth

I leave the country for a couple of weeks and you're already up to no good!!! I guess there's no "U" in commentment huh DARLING??!!!

Yes dear...*whipped*;)

so my guess is that Prelude has the pants on this relationship correct?? (:D :p )

Solaris
7th Sep 2002, 02:34
Actually, I just like the 'love' and 'dahling' part. lol I love the Australian accent though!!!! :D :p

I love australians accents.."fosta australian for beer" hehehehe
:o sry, i got carried away":o

Brits accents make them sound smart and sophisticated, yanks makes us sound tough (yeah right :rolleyes: ). But brits always seem to nag on manners and politeness and stuff..whats up with that?? :p

Aquarius
7th Sep 2002, 02:56
I think that maybe it was an Australian accent, but some of the people at the hotel in Key West, had this awesome accent!! I love it so much!! I want that accent! If it's the Florida keys accent, then that's where I'm moving!! :) Dahling. :D

DaveJ
7th Sep 2002, 08:30
****ney rhyming slang has been around a lot longer than most countries themselves.

It has outlived almost all other forms of slang too.

Respect is due.

Manners and politeness? A sign of good breeding, dear.

"Commentment"? A new one on me. Sounds a bit like Commitment, though.....

And to all those of you having trouble with the U....none of you have explained to me why you are happy with the k in knife, the p in psalm....and so on.

Trust me....this is how the words have been spelt for over a millennia. We don't do it just to piss you off.

Aquarius
7th Sep 2002, 17:32
Tsunami. Does the T bug you Dave? ;)

By not using the U in words like honor, color, and so forth, this proves the existence of Americanish!! :D

Wee Bald Man
7th Sep 2002, 17:44
Interesting fact of the day: there are 1455 dictionary mismatches between British and American English.

Don't mix up your biscuits with your cookies, take a look at this link to see English / American 'translations': http://esl.about.com/library/vocabulary/blbritam.htm

WBM

DaveJ
7th Sep 2002, 18:02
Tsunami. Does the T bug you Dave? ;)

Not all my dear old thing...its well known that we live for T here in the UK.

Prelude
7th Sep 2002, 18:21
Originally posted by Wee Bald Man
Interesting fact of the day: there are 1455 dictionary mismatches between British and American English.

Don't mix up your biscuits with your cookies, take a look at this link to see English / American 'translations': http://esl.about.com/library/vocabulary/blbritam.htm

WBM

Thank you soooo much for this link, it will keep me amused for hours!!!!!! And has given me so much more ammunition!!! Much appreciated.

@DaveJ, LOL, will that be earl grey or good old PG, my dear boy, here have a cucumber sandwich.

rocconorth
8th Sep 2002, 01:37
Originally posted by DaveJ

"Commentment"? A new one on me. Sounds a bit like Commitment, though.....

Yeah...that's a American thing. We omit our U's but we add e's and n's in all sorts of places. We call it "****eyed Non-Rhyming Slang" It's very popular here...especially in places where dictionaries are at a premium. Thanks for poeinting that out. I can see how that could have beenn confusening for you.;)

DaveJ
8th Sep 2002, 09:09

@DaveJ, LOL, will that be earl grey or good old PG, my dear boy, here have a cucumber sandwich.

Wiff the crusts cut orfff?

And a distinctive Earl Grey, please.