PDA

View Full Version : Mission 7 Tips

NoLimit
16th Jul 2002, 15:22
Hi, I just got on to mission 7. And I've just been attacked by an opponent. I ended up winning. All their staff was disabled. So could you please tell me what happens now to all of their buildings? Also, during the battle, I noticed that all my energy had gone. I still had an energy collector and it was still untouched. I repacked it and built it again, and i still had the same problem. What do I do?

Cheers
NoLimit

DMA57361
16th Jul 2002, 16:29
Hey. Welcome to the forum.

1) Firing lasers uses up energy, so in combat it will drain down. You can only get it back thought normal means.

2) His buildings will be captured when you claim his segment. You have to claim his segment to do this. Once done the bulkhead closes and you can continue as normal(ish).

If by some wild chance you don't know how to claim segments - it's one of the tutorial missions . . . but involves sending a Fuzzer accross to the lock inside that segment on the opposite bulkhead.

Hope that helps! :D

NoLimit
16th Jul 2002, 16:52
Thanks. Ill have to wait a while to get back on Mission 7 as the whole game messed up and i had to re-install. I'm on Mission 2 at the moment :/ Anyway thanks.

NoLimit

DMA57361
16th Jul 2002, 18:20
Ah. Bad luck. Hope it works when you finally get there.

Also - have you go the patch?

MunkeeChum
16th Jul 2002, 19:15
I love getting all the enimies buildings. I just seel them back to arona though. Quick money :)

NoLimit
17th Jul 2002, 10:43
Yeah I got the patch. But it just won't install it. It says the cd-rom is missing. Yet I've still got the CD in the drive.

DMA57361
17th Jul 2002, 11:51
Really? That's odd . . .

Can't help you on that one I'm afriad! Maybe someone else can . . .

Ghyron
17th Jul 2002, 13:31
Originally posted by NoLimit
Yeah I got the patch. But it just won't install it. It says the cd-rom is missing. Yet I've still got the CD in the drive.

Does your computer detect your CD-ROM when it boots up? Do you have your computer turn on your CD-ROM (in the BIOS) when it boots up? Do other CDs work in the CD-ROM?

Answer those three questions and solved will your problem be.

StarMapper
17th Jul 2002, 19:24
I have had I similar problem with another game (Desperado). I solved it by downloading a noCD-patch. Only do this if you OWN the game and DO NOT copy it to your friends. We all want Startopia 2 doesn't we (I've read the old threads about this topic but you can still dream, can't you?) and its illegal to copy games.

AlphaOmega
17th Jul 2002, 20:12
Try reinstalling from scratch, make sure to copy your save games to a backup first though!

Tell if that works.

Ghyron
17th Jul 2002, 20:34
Starmapper, you probably have a scratched CD, same for you NoLimit.

StarMapper
17th Jul 2002, 21:20
Nope
It worked in the store, when I went back to get a new copy. It's my CD/DVD that is the problem. If I have a DVD in the drive when I start the computer, the computer will not start (restarts after memorycheck).

Ghyron
18th Jul 2002, 04:28
Do you have the newest drivers and updates?

StarMapper
18th Jul 2002, 08:33
Originally posted by Ghyron
Do you have the newest drivers and updates?

It was the first thing I checked. Then I but it away for 6 month. Then a I tried with the no-cd because I had have problem with the DVD-drive. And I did even get better performance on the game (The small part that loaded before the game froze).

Nowadays I don't care. I don't have any dvd, so that's not a problem. Desperado is the only game that showed this type of problem. I will replace the DVD with a CD-burner (when I get a job).

Ghyron
18th Jul 2002, 14:28
www.directron.com has good deals on all computer parts. Look there to see which cd-burner you want, then comparison shop by entering in the exact name of the product in any search engine(www.google.com is reccomended).

SkrasherSmasher
20th Jul 2002, 01:13
Originally posted by MunkeeChum
I love getting all the enimies buildings. I just seel them back to arona though. Quick money :)

Why? I prefer packing them up and putting them into my own part of the station. That way, I make much more money because,

More buildings=more people

More people=more money

More money=more buildings

More buildings=more money

And the cycle continues.

But really, in the long run you get more money using the building then you do selling it. (assuming its not a recycler or a cargo hold or something like that, those I sell:)) But then again it's all up to playing style. Quik Bucks versus Long Term Investment.

NoLimit
20th Jul 2002, 10:41
Lo again,

Going through the missions to try and get back to mission 7, im slowly but surely getting there :P

I think it's on mission 4 or 5 when u have to build the lockdown brig and deal with all the criminals. I was watching the security scuzzers arresting the aliens. Some of them it comes up with an icon above the scuzzed, with a cross over bars. I understand this means they cant arrest them, but why? Also I watched a little longer and another scuzzer came along and took the alien straight away... ?

Cheers
NoLimit

StarMapper
20th Jul 2002, 11:19
Originally posted by NoLimit
I was watching the security scuzzers arresting the aliens. Some of them it comes up with an icon above the scuzzed, with a cross over bars. I understand this means they cant arrest them, but why? Also I watched a little longer and another scuzzer came along and took the alien straight away... ?

Cheers
NoLimit

There was no cell vacant when the first scuzzer tried to arrest the peep, and when the other came, someone had been released. A trick I used was to turn off the energy to the port when I couldn't handle all criminals. But be careful when you turn on the energy again. All generated peeps during the turnoff will arrive, so you maybe have to do it again when right amount of peeps has arrived.

NoLimit
20th Jul 2002, 11:22
Ok got it, common sense eh :)

Cheers
NoLimit

csalib
26th Jul 2002, 02:44
Hello,
I am on Mission 7 and I am totally lost with combat. I was fine in the tutorials, but who wouldn't be?? Anyway, I have gotten to the point where they break my bulkhead and we start fighting. I usually start with around 20000 eu's but intevitably, I eventually run out of power. I lose all of my security scuzzers right away, so I can't take over any new sectors. Anyway, any strategy help here would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Pinky the Cow
26th Jul 2002, 06:32
Welcome to this evershining jewel of the forums' world, sector Uppel Heepo, StarTopia forum.

Before waging war make sure you build a line (or even more than one) of security columns along the bulkhead to be breached and one or two Security Column guarding your bulkhead lock (primary goal of enemy scuzzer).

Just in case of emergency when the war is up keep one security scuzzer in your pattern buffer.

Computer will try to invade you but even small fighting force will stand against the enemy. If they fight you on the border there are columns wreaking havoc upon them and if they run deep into your territory then their laser-weapon power is reduced greatly.

Each enemy resident killed will purge 1000 e of your enemy's reserve (you can kill even not weapon wielding races like sirens - just target them manually) and soon he'll get numerous power failures. Then you can start destroying enemy buildings in vicinity staying close to your columns. Destroy enemy scuzzers that attempt to repair that building. When the number of enemy scuzzers is rerlatively small and enemy energy collector is one or less segment away and if your military force is considerable force then attack it. with energy collector down retreat to your segments as their remaining scuzzers will explode, injured fighters being prone to death.

Sephiroth110
26th Jul 2002, 11:39
ahh yes, another mission 7 thred, at the old forum i remember hundreds of them... well, not that many, but a lot. and what pinky said was pretty much completely true. the line or two of towers, and one by your bulk head. but who needs to target their aliens, i just put a rally point, at the border of the new segment, at my own bulkhead.... thingy, and one last one at their bulkhead.... thingy.

put all the priorty on the one at the border, and kill any enemy that come across, once pretty much all of them are dead, move all your men to his bulkhead thingy (i've completely forgetten what they are, sorry) and drop 2 or so fuzzers on your side who will then waddle over and start to take over, any enemy that attacks them, kill 'em.

your tower by your bulkhead thingy will kill all their fuzzers one after another, so you pretty much can't lose. the only problem is, it takes away all the challenge once you do this, so if at all possible, don't use all the towers, just hire truckloads of gors and salt hogs and targs, and make more muster points in stratigic loactions. one tip if your having trouble. DON"T go after the enemy energy collecter. their lasers are very powerful in that segment, and if they have ANY scuzzers it will be impossible, besides, when you do get around to taking that segment, FREE ENERGY COLLECTER. hope this will help too.

StarMapper
26th Jul 2002, 17:12
And remember. Attack is the best defense. I think I have never lost a war when I attacks, and never won when he attacks.

csalib
27th Jul 2002, 20:10
Thank you for all your help! I finally got through mission 7. For those of you looking for help, you may want to retake the tutorial on combat, just as a refresher... it did help me! By the way, I did keep the energy collector... it was nice to have over 200,000 eu's for once! :) :) :)

-me

kool_kats_rule
29th Jul 2002, 11:33
It was really hard for me on mission 2 at first. I actually got through with 100 cures and 10 deaths

Pinky the Cow
3rd Aug 2002, 14:41
What's so important about this thread?

SkrasherSmasher
3rd Aug 2002, 15:42
And why did it change from sticky to important? I like saying, "Hey, let's check out this sticky thread." It sounds like only SOME threads are even important enough to read. With sticky, I just know that the mods want it on top. I like my sticky.

And I think it is stic.. er... important because we don't want to eventually have 20 of these posts up, mucking the servers and such.

kool_kats_rule
4th Aug 2002, 13:33
There's 3 already though.

NoLimit
4th Aug 2002, 14:04
Im famous :)

lightman
23rd Aug 2002, 04:54
I attack, they attack, same thing happens, I kill them all, get the goods, and the game goes on and on and on, I have taken over 7 segments but the mission does not end. No one left on the starcraft.
I did get a message that something detached from the station...opponet #3???
How do I win this mission?
thanks

Pinky the Cow
23rd Aug 2002, 07:21
Either disable or takeover enemy Energy Collectors, with energy gone power does not last long and everything becomes disabled including control over the station.

And by the way consider yourself officially greeted and welcomed to this startopia forum, Aerospace Station Gloden Evo.

Ghyron
23rd Aug 2002, 14:10
No, no, no! The real name is Waystation Zeta-Plural mkII. Greetings to it.

lightman
23rd Aug 2002, 22:13
Thanks for the greeting! I have done what you said, I have taken over everything on every level, have sent my scuzzers to take over every room on the station, but the game just keeps going... I have started over and the same thing....

SkrasherSmasher
24th Aug 2002, 00:34
Are you positive you didn't just say continue playing? No? Worth a shot.

No I'm no questioningy your brain power...

But if not, then I'd have no idea.

Pinky the Cow
24th Aug 2002, 07:27
Could you share your savegame then? It would be easier to help.

kool_kats_rule
29th Aug 2002, 15:07
For god's sake, what is this place called?

SkrasherSmasher
29th Aug 2002, 20:48
(Who is this NoLimit guy?)

Someone should make a mod to make a mission like lvl 2 so you have to get like 250 cures before 25 deaths but have 2 ports and just generally bigger. I love that mission, the silly health inspectors can't even detect the garbage in my pattern buffer, hee hee...

<Goes off and cackles about the garbage in his pattern buffer.>

DMA57361
30th Aug 2002, 10:27
If you remind me on Sunday (PM?) and I'll make it Monday/Tuesday when Im off work for you.

Or maybe sometime in an evening.

Or maybe someone else would like to.

It should just be a simple hack-the-numbers job.

giomeister
21st Sep 2002, 15:12
:mad:

I get to this level, and i can't get the second squatter off the station, i have defeated the one to the left very quickly, and the one on the right is still there and my Scuzzers can't even use the option to breach...the doors open and close, the patch is installed, so thus i am stuck....the opponent has like 2 or 3 section's and that is all, but can't open them, this is a nerve racking one....

Help me

cryptophore
21st Sep 2002, 17:24
Sounds like you've not fought that foe long enough that they have reverted to 'peace' 'friend' state.
Open up the visitor/resident panel, click on the 'overview' tab, and on the lower right is a list of the other players and their friend/enemy status. Click on the 'friend' and it turns into enemy. Then go breach and attack away. Note that a door that is open to a friend gets closed when you go enemy, and then you have to breach it.

I ran into this same problem on mission 7, and again on the last mission.

Hand-E-Food
23rd Sep 2002, 03:58
These are the rules I understand for combat. I know it sounds a little like insulting your intelligence, but there might be one little thing that's forgotten:

1) On the Overview panel, click an opponent to declare war with them.

2) Use a Security Scuzzer to breech a door adjacent to the enemy.

3) Use a Security Scuzzer to hack the door in the segment adjactent to your segment. You cannot claim more than one segment at a time.

4) Expect the enemy to hack your door, even if you breech them.

5) Ray guns use up your energy reserves. The further from your territory you are, the more energy they use.

6) Any rooms that are in the captured segment become owned by you. Any residents become your visitors. Any enemy scuzzers begin their self-destruct sequence. Kill them quickly or get out of
there.

7) If any administrator loses all of their Energy Collectors, they are out of the game. Because of this, concentrate your attacks on the bottom deck. Note that this rule may not apply to mods.

8) Once an administrator is removed from the station, all of their equipment and aliens are free to claim by the first administrator to claim that segment (no repair cost or hacking required).

9) Note that while your residents are ready for battle (ie. fighting or at a rally point), you will lose all manufacturing (Salt-Hogs), medical (Greys), communication (Targ), and security (Kasvagorian). Given that security's main purpose is to prevent breeches and support hacking, Security Control suddenly seems a fairly useless room. Does anyone else know what its purposes are?

The only other suggestion I can give as to why you cannot win is that the script stuffed up somehow. Not common, but not unheard of either. I'm afraid you'll probably have to restart if this is the case.

JonasBane
23rd Sep 2002, 09:05
A good way to keep your sick bays and factories running during battle is to hire some employees with no loyality. These workers won't respond to targeting priorities and instead will stick to their jobs. Having some Kasvagorians with no loyality is a good way to keep your security center up and running. This results in faster hacks by your security scuzzers and longer range for your stationary turrets, two critical aspects that can make combat much easier.

Also, the moment the doors open you can start hiring some combat personel from the other guy's section. This is a good way to compliment your forces if you're having a hard time getting enough people to help out. Just remember that after the dust settles to let go of unnessary personel.

Jonas Bane
There's Love Inside

marrip
27th Sep 2002, 01:52
I think I read somewhere that Security Control makes your fuzzers find bombs left by spies faster and disarm them.

Gemslug
9th Oct 2002, 20:17
Things get frantic when you battle people sprint everywhere all your non battling employees run off. Any tips for this?

Hand-E-Food
9th Oct 2002, 22:34
There's not much you can do. Aliens will want to survive and they will run for their lives. All you can do is try to initiate combat away from these areas. People will only run if they're in the same segment as combat (and perhaps adjoining segments, I'm not sure.)

Nuntius
3rd Feb 2003, 20:16
Heh.. i think i did this mission in a fairly unorthodox manner...

Basically I blew most of my starting wad of cash on a cargo hold and starport, and opened up an engineering deck to my left and one of the biodeck segments. I actually hired more karmaramas than kasvagorians...

I did the mission in about an hour and a half / two hours, and most of that was just trading for fun and profit... and then I blew my 200k hiring pretty much any kasvagorian that came in, and 20 or so security bots, then just built a security colum near my own bulkhead lock. I had such a huge force that i could split into two or three muster points, and just let the column deal with any stray enemy bots :D I mopped up both playing buddies in about 15 minutes tops.

throughout the mission VAL kept on popping up messages like,"I don't think I've ever seen anyone do this"

Oh well - the mission said prepare for attack, SOON. But theres no time limit, so hey, whatever works :)

Hand-E-Food
4th Feb 2003, 02:22
Mass employment is the only way to go. Anyone with a gun is worth it.

Overmind
18th Feb 2003, 14:48
No time limit? WRONG! You were lucky- I haven't beat this mission yet, cause the enemy keeps attacking...

Mucky Foot
21st Feb 2003, 02:13
Minor corrections:

5) Ray guns ... The further from your territory you are, the more energy they use
Not quite. They use the same power all the time, but the further away they are, the less damage they do. So you can't just send your Gors off five segments away to kill the enemy collector - maximum useful range is about two segments.

9) Note that while your residents are ready for battle, you will lose all manufacturing.
Well, sort of. What actually happens is that anyone working when you set a muster point or target an enemy will keep on working. However, as soon as they get bored or need the lavotron, they stop working and then they go to the muster point. So if you're attacked suddenly, you should still have security and manufacturing capabilities, but if you leave peeps mustered for a long time, then yes - eventually everyone will wander away from their jobs and join the army.

Mission 7s are like snowflakes - no two are alike.

TomF - Muckyfoot coder.

Master_Ryan
23rd Feb 2003, 01:29
first you hold F11 then type RSHIFTWINLEVEL, then make sure numlock is off, then you press 6 on the num pad... i already won this mission in like 3 seconds! but if you want a real strategy(did i spell that right?) just expand 2 segments (one to left, one to right) on all decks, on industry and pleasure decks just build security columns along the bulkheads and build a Massive army of invincible Security scuzzers! Muw ha ha ha ha! and get some of the other fighting races while you do this, the utterly and totally wipe them out... it worked for me but i did it like 5 times before i won, also try your luck in sandbox agianst 1 cpu till you win, then 2 a couple of times, then go back 2 mission 7.

Any Questions?

EDIT:bad spelling! geeze!

Nuntius
23rd Feb 2003, 05:32
Scuzzers? Ehh.. that sounds really expensive.

I can see how there might be a couple points where you have to load up a saved game, but do you really have to reload the level again and again? For me the only tricky part was after i took over the first guy, and both enemies attacked before i concentrated on getting more gors. I just loaded the game id saved right after beating enemy #1, hired an extra 10 or so gors, and did a little pre emptive strike on the red guys. I think green took a few of my biodeck segments, but i just let them take one or two. Then i think they either stopped or maybe attacked red.

Oh just a question about gameplay in general - how many people use the factory that much? Is it a good way to make money? I basically just ignored it.

Hand-E-Food
26th Feb 2003, 05:54
Factories produce any researched item at 25% below cost. If you improve your research into an item, it reduces the cost by a further 5%. For small things, they're quick and versitile. For large things, they save you a lot of enregy.

Of course, everything is cheaper if you know who to buy it from, buy Kasvagorians visit you a lot less frequently than some other races.

Master_Ryan
1st Mar 2003, 01:29
Yup, factories! factories! factories! i cannot stretch the utter (Moo!... sorry) usefulness of this un-replacacle piece of magnificent hardware! and then get a lab, get to the scuzzer and research it alot, i got my scuzzer cost to 25e before it was over, and at that cheap little price my Super ultra unstoppable army of security scuzzers! Muw ha ha ha ha! was gigantic and utterly, totally, virtually, wiped out their pathetic excuses for meager little stations! squatters, BAH!

Arraxis
21st Apr 2003, 12:48
I"m not sure about you guy, but I finished mission 7 in one go (Yes, I finally beat mission 2). All you do is build 3 security columns in front of the door you want to breach (Make sure they are in a row.) and have around 70 guys (at least 30 Kasvagorians), and 5 security scuzzers. The rest pretty much explains itself: Any escapees get blasted by the columns, along with anybody else, your guys blast their buildings (You don't have to, but I like explosions), you capture the territory and you repeat.

Hand-E-Food
21st Apr 2003, 23:25
Yeah, that seemed to work for me: Blanket hiring of all combat ready personel.

kool_kats_rule
22nd Apr 2003, 10:58
Me, I just put a double row of security columns infront of the bulkhead, and hire every gor i see

Arraxis
22nd Apr 2003, 11:59
Yeah, but a double-row is unneeded; it's overkill. 3 S.C's are good enough, as they will be too busy with your army.

MunkeeChum
22nd Apr 2003, 12:48
I played through mission 7 again the other day. Its frightfully easy with 100+ fuzzers and 8 security columns :)

Master_Ryan
28th Apr 2003, 21:37
told ya, an army of fuzzers does the trick, the organics run like little wimps...

"Get back out their soldier!"
"But sir, i got shot in my head"
"NOW!"

Hand-E-Food
28th Apr 2003, 22:35
Not when there's another 50 behind them crowding forward. Morale lasts longer with larger armies.

Master_Ryan
10th May 2003, 15:22
true... but fuzzers blindly get their heads blown off.. i mean fight for me :D

Hand-E-Food
11th May 2003, 07:30
That's a good point: No death payouts for scuzzers.

Doug Downie
29th May 2003, 03:48
I think I may be replying to Hand E Food but this has nothing to do with his message (sorry, but I don't know how to create a new message for a thread, the only buttons I can see are ones to create a new thread. Maybe that will get put in the right place but I don't want to take a chance that it will go somewhere else. It may not be obvious but I am new to this forum 8-) )

Anyway, I seem to be having a problem with Mission 7. Everything goes fine for a little while, then the whole thing freezes or just crashes to my Desktop. I am also finding that on any mission, if I play for a while and my decks get crowded, the video gets scrambled and I have to quit and start Startopia up again. I have installed the patch and replaced the card file. I posted a message before saying that I have an ATI Rage128 which I tried updating to the latest drivers but that made it worse than the older driver I had.

Any help would be greatly appreciated 'cuz I reeaaally like Startopia.

Hand-E-Food
29th May 2003, 06:41
You got the right button! You click Quote to reply to someone specifically.

What is your machine?

Mucky Foot
30th May 2003, 19:19
Have a look through the Tech FAQ (http://www.muckyfoot.com/startopia/faqtech1.html) - that has a few general hints to getting the most out of your video card.

One of the things to definately try is moving the "texture quality" slider down to about 25% and playing the game in a low resolution. Sometimes doing both of these helps stability a lot.

The Rage 128 is an older card, but we did test it with StarTopia. Unfortunately, there's not much we can do about new drivers with new bugs :-(

TomF - Muckyfoot coder.

Doug Downie
31st May 2003, 02:34
Originally posted by Hand-E-Food
You got the right button! You click Quote to reply to someone specifically.

What is your machine?
Thanks for the tip on replying. I have a PIII 450 running Win 98. I see Tom has also replied to my message so I will check out his tip.

Doug Downie
31st May 2003, 02:37
Originally posted by Mucky Foot
Have a look through the Tech FAQ (http://www.muckyfoot.com/startopia/faqtech1.html) - that has a few general hints to getting the most out of your video card.

One of the things to definately try is moving the "texture quality" slider down to about 25% and playing the game in a low resolution. Sometimes doing both of these helps stability a lot.

The Rage 128 is an older card, but we did test it with StarTopia. Unfortunately, there's not much we can do about new drivers with new bugs :-(

TomF - Muckyfoot coder.
Thanks for the suggestions, I will take a look at the FAQ and try the low-res setting.

StephenMB
6th Jun 2003, 19:02
HELP ME! I got the patch and when i try and start the boxes disapear, i found the boxes in hardplan but where r the scuzzers? Plz HELP!

Mucky Foot
6th Jun 2003, 21:53
Sounds like you need to go to the options menu and disable "impostors". If that fails, click on "Safe Mode" in the video settings and see if that helps.

Also, please find the file "your gfxcard.txt" and send it to webmaster@muckyfoot.com, along with a description of your problem, and we'll have a look at it.

Hand-E-Food
8th Jun 2003, 21:46
What are you Visual Setting set to? If the viewing range is too short, the boxes might be invisible fom more than 10 meters away! Try tuning some of these setting up (and some others down to compensate) and see if they are visible then.

madturraken
16th Jul 2003, 12:59
An additional function of security control is that it makes your security columns more accurate.

Holywhippet
22nd Sep 2003, 11:07
Here's my basic guide to conquering enemy segments. Firstly have at least one security control. The quality of the Kasvagorians manning it determines how quickly a security scuzzer can hack into segments. If possible have two or three. Secondly hire every Kasvagorian you can get your hands on. Hire a fair number of Targs, Grolians and Greys as well but make sure the greys have reasonably high skills since they will work in your sickbays if they survive the fight.

Next put at least three security columns right next to the bulkhead you are about to breach, if you don't have the space then pack up some buildings, you can rebuild them later. Put another security column right next to the bulkhead interface on your side of the room. The enemy might send a scuzzer to try and grab your room and it's hard to target reliably once the, erm, poo hits the fan.

Now open the bulkhead (declare war if you have to first). Depending on how many columns you have in place you may or may not wish to have your forces mustered at this point - it isn't really necessary if the enemy has low numbers. Wait to see the response of the enemy - if they attack en masse then muster your forces just behind the columns and wait until the fighting dies down a bit. Otherwise, or afterwards, create a muster point right next the enemies bulkhead interface then order a scuzzer to claim the segment. Provided you have enough forces you should be able to buy the scuzzer enough time to claim the segment.

While the fighting is going on it's a good idea to scout your enemies territory and hire and Kasvagorians nearby. Don't hire any that are too far away unless most of the enemy forces are engaging yours. Otherwise your new recruits will get shot at and your forces will charge to their aid. This is really, really bad as if they go too far into enemy territory their guns won't work any they will be slaughtered (costing you a fortune as well). So just hire any nearby Gor unless the enemy forces are mostly busy with you.

Unless you take a segment with a phyric victory (ie. you won, but lost a LOT of men) it's a good idea to back up a victory with a continued assault on the next room. The enemy by that time is low on men and possibly energy so they can't put up much of a fight. So as soon as you claim a segment, order the next room to be opened up. While your scuzzer is hacking the door it's a good idea to turn on any rooms that were depowered when you claimed the room (unless you don't want the room). Also watch out for any enemy scuzzers still in the segment with you as they will self destruct after a short time and can kill your troops if they are close by. Either target the scuzzers or create a muster point at a safe location.

Once you claim the segment that has the enemies energy collecter then they are out of the game. Once that happens you can go and claim their remaining rooms and equipment with impunity, just make sure you grab it before someone else does. You don't need to muck around with scuzzers when claiming a room that nobody owns. Note that this also applies to the rooms on the second and third decks as well.

Finally one trick that I've rarely had a chance to employ. If you keep an unexploded bomb in your pattern buffer you can drop the sucker right next to enemy forces in your territory. Watch for friendly fire of course but you can severly cripple an invading force like this.

Doug Downie
23rd Sep 2003, 02:39
Originally posted by Holywhippet
Here's my basic guide to conquering enemy segments...

Good on ya mate. Thanks.

Regards,
Doug

Hand-E-Food
23rd Sep 2003, 06:00
While your post was curteous, did you have to quote the whole thing? :)

Doug Downie
24th Sep 2003, 03:18
While your post was curteous, did you have to quote the whole thing? :)

I apologize. Being a Newbie to this Forum, I'm never sure whether to push the 'Quote' or 'Reply' button to make sure that it goes as a reply to the right person. The 'Quote' took me to the bottom of it and I carried on with my reply without paying proper attention. I will be more careful in future.

Regards,
Doug

P.S. I fixed it 8-)

Hand-E-Food
24th Sep 2003, 05:29
Don't worry about it. We were all newbies once. :)

What's the punishment for excesive quoting again? I've lost my Guide to Newbie Initiation Handbook.

Doug Downie
25th Sep 2003, 03:02
Don't worry about it. We were all newbies once. :)

What's the punishment for excesive quoting again? I've lost my Guide to Newbie Initiation Handbook.

Thank goodness you lost the Guide. It might have been a 15 minute keel-hauling around the Startopia Station with 13 minutes of air. :D

Regards,
Doug

Hand-E-Food
25th Sep 2003, 05:11
No, that one's for insulting StarTopia without reason. And we're not so cruel to remove the air. We just double the gravity.

Doug Downie
27th Sep 2003, 02:49
No, that one's for insulting StarTopia without reason. And we're not so cruel to remove the air. We just double the gravity.

ouuuuuuuuuuucccccccccccccchhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!

Overmind
7th Oct 2003, 19:31
You think you've got it bad? Do ya? Yeah, well then we double the gravity again!

And that's before we even think about bileworm or memau incubators, he he he....

[Wanders off into the distance, cackling evilly...]

Paksman
22nd Dec 2003, 01:36
The first time I played this mission i won fairly easily. Now however, i'm getting my butt whooped. Arona only offers the SC once, and hardly any Gor show up to my station. I'm makin a large part of my bio deck hot and dry to try and attract Gor, have a combat store and such, but none show up. Also, squatters start attacking me fairly quickly before i even have time to hire enough troops. Any suggestion/tips welcome and appreciated.

paks

Holywhippet
22nd Dec 2003, 01:42
The only two suggestions I have are to either build a stardock to attract merchants who might also sell security columns or to build a lab and a factory and try to research them yourself. Don't rely on Arona, reliability is not his byword.

Overmind
23rd Dec 2003, 14:09
Personally, I think mission seven is the hardest in the game. Really, I find the Zedem Conclave, the Siren Agency, even the Polvakien Aristocracy easier.

This could help, however.

Firstly, remember the retail stores were put into the game for a reason. Build lots of them, but keep the litter under control. Buying a recycler, then a bunch of retail stores works well, as long as you use the pause key liberally. Unless Arona takes it upon himself to supply you with twelve litter-bins, anyway.:)

Expand one segment to the West, but no more! The western-most AI is the most cramped and will not hesitate to attack you. The AI to the east has a segment behind it to expand into.

Use your retail stores to generate revenue, and invest in either a Laboratory or a Star Dock. Then use whichever one you got to full capacity (ie researching those much-needed litter-bins, or hoping a Gor turns up, because you NEED THOSE COLUMNS!!!) and get the next one. The AIs have a nasty habit of grabbing the traders before you even decode them, so an extra comsensor or two would be a good idea. But remember, you're trying to fit all this in just three segments! Good layout is essential. And keep some space for a Factory to churn out those fuzzers, as well as some space by your bulkhead door's lock for Security Columns (on the inside, naturally).

Research the fuzzers to maximum tech (optional, but really nice if you can do it), and keep on churning them out. Also hire as many staff as you can get your hands on. Don't bother hiring the Greys, as they're basically cannon fodder. Instead, get a whole mass of Targ, Gors and Salt-Hogs hired and assemble them near your bulkhead door. Make the Gors your priority, then your Targ, and lastly your Salt-Hogs. Hire them according to loyalty, and if your economy is really booming you can even promote them to maximum. If there aren't enough on the station, wait for more to board. Eventually you'll have a large force waiting for the cry of "SMASH TIME!" Don't disappoint them, but instead invade... with all of your forces concentrating on the enemy bulkhead lock!

Then do the dirty deed. And remember, a wise Administrator always has a Scuzzer in his buffer in case the impossible happens.

On a closing note, only blow up security columns if you have to. Remember that you can capture and reposition them. After the first Administrator falls, your other opponent's spirit will be broken; once I even had an open-door policy with the poor soul. It made me feel quite guilty about completing my objectives.

IMPORTANT!
The above walkthrough depends heavily on when the opponent chooses to attack. I have, myself, decided that this mission is IMPOSSIBLE sometimes. Therefore, remember that if the opponent attacks before you get a Star Dock or Laboratory, it's not my fault, honest! Besides, you can always manipulate the code to achieve the desired results (I often set the scripts to give me an instant win after I've reformatted so I can get to a particular mission straight away, for example). Not that I advocate such tactics. Ahem.

Holywhippet
23rd Dec 2003, 21:30
As I said before, for security columns make sure you line some up next to a segment you plan to breach and put one next to your own segment interface to take out any security scuzzers trying to capture your segment. Remember the old axiom : No battleplan survives first contact with the enemy. Generally once the fighting starts it's very hard to target any individual so you really need that column to protect your segment. I've targetted enemy scuzzers as soon as they start hacking into my segment and still had nobody come and shoot at them.

Paksman
24th Dec 2003, 15:26
Well, i beat it. The first couple of times i played it, I tried saving money for turrets and soldiers by NOT buying a stardock. But then i tried it with buying a stardock right off and was suprised how easily i won.

paks

Holywhippet
24th Dec 2003, 21:30
Originally posted by Paksman
Well, i beat it. The first couple of times i played it, I tried saving money for turrets and soldiers by NOT buying a stardock. But then i tried it with buying a stardock right off and was suprised how easily i won.

paks

Although it can be a little unpredictable and unreliable, generally trading is the best source of items and revenue in the game. The factory and laboratory combo also works but while the factory offers a discount the merchants can offer more of a discount.

My only gripe with merchants is they tend to arrrive in groups so you can't trade with them all and the merchant you ask to dock may go to someone else. Of course building a second star dock can solve some of that problem.

Overmind
28th Dec 2003, 15:22
True. I often build no less than three Star Docks in a single-player sandbox. Just to get all the traders. The crazy thing is, I find myself missing traders because I'm already trading with someone when they call. I think the main reason the traders come so thick and fast is to prevent the best Administrators gaining too much of a monopoly on them. In which case, a good job on balance to the late, lamented MF!

katesimon
5th Mar 2006, 22:23
Looks like I'm having the same bug as the other guys/gals who reported it. Glad it's not just me. I've tried mission 7 3 times now. Massacred the enemy. I have control of every available segment on every level. I have all available technology and all buildings, a huge army etc, but still no completion. No mission 8 available either for that matter.

Looks like a "feature". Not sure if there's a fix out for it. Might resort to looking for a crack / cheat tomorrow to skip mission 7.

Good luck with it..:confused:

63)^(1)\(1
18th Sep 2006, 16:25
Looks like I'm having the same bug as the other guys/gals who reported it. Glad it's not just me. I've tried mission 7 3 times now. Massacred the enemy. I have control of every available segment on every level. I have all available technology and all buildings, a huge army etc, but still no completion. No mission 8 available either for that matter.

Looks like a "feature". Not sure if there's a fix out for it. Might resort to looking for a crack / cheat tomorrow to skip mission 7.

Good luck with it..:confused:

hey all! i wanted to blow my brains out cuzz i've played mission 7 for 10 F* times and couldn't complete it :(( i've got all segments, on all 3 decks, and while in war didn't destroy neither 1 enemy building! czz i thought, u know... :)

few days ago i tried to play it again i this time i couldn't takeover any segment (??!!) the door opene, and closed, after i clicked that takeover thing..

:(

is this fixed with 101 version?

Persian_Prince
20th Sep 2006, 07:09
i know it's weird that that happens..

it's never happened to me ever so far with or with out the patchs..weither it's 1.0/1.01/1.01b/1.02

odd..maybe you have a different release i have the us one..who knows..maybe you did something out of order? although that mission is pretty straight forward..

hah well i didn't give much imput but i just felt like posting

heres a linky i'm sure you've seen it earlier in the forums and if not here yah go..just some downloadable material and info

linky (http://www.eelpi.gotdns.org/startopia/startopia.html)

StarHammer
24th Nov 2006, 06:43
After destroying the Energy Collecter of the Yellow enemy.

I proceeded to pack up all the rooms that that yellow had exact copies of.

Taking the Security columns for a attack on red.

For some srange reason I can't get my sercurity Skuzzers to breach the any more rooms belonging to the enemy.

I have checked locks on all three levels. while two of them can only be opend from myside. The other is just adea end. IS there something I have forgotten?

StarHammer
25th Nov 2006, 01:49
After reading through most of the entries on this forum and finding the bit advice about changing Computer enmey A.I. status from friend to foe.

I tried this and it worked. Mission done.

I think it's almost a understandable mistake seeing as this aspect of the game was never covered in the tutorial or was it? I don't remember it anyway. Though, I think that this mssion is really meant tobe be over and done with quickly and not drawn out into forty-eight hour seige. Perhaps both enemies are meant to be beaten at the same time or one right after the other after you have very quickly built your own militia.

The Zendem Conclave mission finished easier enough, as I could complete this mission without much exspansion ( Or Thinking!!) to the tech and pleasure level of the station I was given , though I did buy out all of the Biodeck that was possible right from the start. I'm not sure what was with the five Memau crates I was given and I kept playing and expanding all the sections of deck as I wanted see them turn into Schrashers, but they seem to all disappear after awhile. The problem here was that, I opened most of their crates all in the same area and did research on one of them in the laboratory. I should have spread them out more.

Anyway, upon finishing this completed mission, I was put under the false impression that was it. That was the last one on the list. But I checked the scroller to move down further and there's misson nine. Another simple mistake that could have been fixed. The full list of missons oughta be shown on the screen for the player to see unhighlighted ( Of course!!!) until the player has reached that stage. Alot of people might think thats the end of the single player game. You want more, you play in Sandpit mode. Though that is not the case.

However the Polvakian Aristocracy requires more thought.

max_ooze
25th Nov 2006, 07:51
It's not over till the credits roll...

Mission 7 isn't that hard once you get the hang of combat, you should be able to knock it over in a few hours. Play the mission again, you will be suprised how quickly you can do it.

If you are after extra missions visit http://startopia.wideopen.biz, I have about 30 missions to download. Also there is a guide on waging war with plenty of tips on the combat part of the game.