PDA

View Full Version : See some realtime shadows

ChangelingJane
22nd Aug 2002, 17:51
I came across this game today:

http://www.codemastersusa.com/blade

Blade of Darkness. The game itself isn't that great, BUT, it has realtime shadow effects (and some other cool graphics hacks). Most importantly--the game has shadow support even for voodoo cards! Multiple light-sources and all. There is no self-shadowing or shadows on objects, but this is the first time I've come across a game with true real-time shadowing that works on a voodoo card. The framerate is pretty damn good too!

After running through the dungeons, holding a torch, with the nifty shadows concealing things, I no longer care if T3 has hard-edged shadows. The effect is just too damn cool!

If you decide to download the demo yourself, get it off the Codemaster's site. On Fileplanet you have to wait upwards of 128 minutes!

Zaccheus
23rd Aug 2002, 12:57
The screen shots look great.

If I get some spare time in the next few months I'll have a look at the demo.

BTW, what makes you think T3 might not have smooth shadows?

ChangelingJane
23rd Aug 2002, 14:08
Originally posted by Zaccheus
BTW, what makes you think T3 might not have smooth shadows?

Because they're extremely computationally expensive, unless they "fake" it. In the engine that DX2 and T3 are using, EVERY single shadow and light source is dynamic. Plus, all (DX2) screenies so far show hard-edged shadows.

Zaccheus
27th Aug 2002, 13:14
I thought they would use the same (or similar) technique that they used to let you carry a flare around with you.

ChangelingJane
27th Aug 2002, 16:03
Originally posted by Zaccheus
I thought they would use the same (or similar) technique that they used to let you carry a flare around with you.

This is apples and oranges, really. The flares are just a very simple, non-occluded light--it just adds light within a certain radius. If it were possible to do MP in Thief/2, you'd notice that the flare light goes right through walls when the other player lit one. There is no raytracing or shadowing involved. Dynamic lights work the same way in Unreal Tournament (the current one, not UT2k3). Soft shadows are a whole different beast altogether.