PDA

View Full Version : Women with guitars ...

Godfather
22nd Aug 2002, 01:43
With all of those annoying posts about mean barbie-doll Britney, I thought it might look nice to make a post (or should I say: poll) with some really interesting women in it ...

Whom of these country-rock/pop-rock, super-powerful, extremely beautiful and dead-sexy guitar-women do you like best?

rocconorth
22nd Aug 2002, 02:34
This is difficult because I find them interesting for different reasons. For pure looks I'd go with Miss Twain or Miss Hill, but for talent and looks I'd go with Miss Crow. You didn't give Sarah Mclachlan as a choice, but I'd take her over all of them. I suppose she's not strictly guitar girl (she also plays the piano very well) so I guess I can forgive her omission.:p

Rose662
22nd Aug 2002, 05:31
Sheryl Crow!

:)

Lil Lara
22nd Aug 2002, 06:14
Uhhh--Faith and Shania play the guitar? lol. I had no clue!

Yes-it is about time we had some polls other than those poppy ones, lol. But what's with all these VS polls recently anyways??

Back the the subject---uhh, I guess Sheryl Crow, I like her best out of all of those options, but I like her older stuff a bit better.

You totally left out Poe and PJ Harvey! Lol! Most of you are prolly going..."who??" right about now. Bwahahahaha. :D

shirl123
22nd Aug 2002, 12:25
where's Courtney Love? or Alanis Morissette? :confused:

DaveJ
22nd Aug 2002, 13:33
I'll vote for Courtney Love, Alanis Morrissette and Wendy Melvoin.

;)

Its one thing to look nice when photographed holding a guitar, and another thing entirely to know what to do with it afterwards.

whitemetal
22nd Aug 2002, 15:19
Funny, no mention of Tracy Chapman here, she should be top of this list. Tracy and guitar are a hard hot combo....she bangs!

Deekman
22nd Aug 2002, 17:54
I don't see Bonnie Raitt, Lita Ford, Joan Jett, or Jennifer Batten there either.

Miss Croft
22nd Aug 2002, 19:06
What about Michelle Branch ??? She's well better than all of them..*walks off singing**once again hits head on a lamppost*

Godfather
22nd Aug 2002, 19:50
Hmmm, many interesting reactions from y'all!!

DaveJ, I respect your opinion. But I dislike Courtney Love simply because she's a bit like Britney Spears ... she's a mean-looking woman!! She's probably a good guitar-player (possibly even better than my top 5), but this isn't about thé best guitar-female-player ... it's about what woman has the greatest rocksongs whilst playing (or being able to play) the guitar.

I've heard (or should I say: read) a lot of great names out there, but you have to understand: I only had the option of picking 5 names (five = the maximum, remember?)

Howcome nobody voted Alannah Myles? I know she's not very famous (apart from her songs "Black Velvet" and "Song instead of a kiss), but you should reeeeaaaallllly take a listen to one of her albums; preferably her FANTASTIC rock-album "Rocking horse!" If you don't hate Bon Jovi-, Bryan Adams- or AC/DC-music, you might just enjoy this great album. Do yourself a favor :) ... for me please? :confused: ;)

Lil Lara
22nd Aug 2002, 20:37
Originally posted by Godfather
But I dislike Courtney Love simply because she's a bit like Britney Spears ... she's a mean-looking woman!!

Hahahahahahah! Courtney a bit like Britney??! Hahahaha. Thanks for the great laugh, Godfather. :D :p

Sorry..I couldn't resist!;)

Godfather
22nd Aug 2002, 23:07
Originally posted by Lil Lara

Hahahahahahah! Courtney a bit like Britney??! Hahahaha. Thanks for the great laugh, Godfather. :D :p

Sorry..I couldn't resist!;)

It's ok ... I knew this was meant to happen! :D

Anyway, let me repeat myself (and mind you that it's (merely) my own personal opinion):

But I dislike Courtney Love simply because she's a bit like Britney Spears ... she's a mean-looking woman!!

Especially mind the part in BOLD!!!! ;)
I know that there are as many similarities between Courtney Love and Britney Spears as there are between Mick Jagger and Audrey Hepburn, but what I meant to say was that both women have no style. They dress awfully and they're mean! And not particularly in the way they look, but in the way they behave!! Courtney Love looks like she's just been picked off the streets; for God's sake!!

but ... that's my personal opinion and I'm not going to ask anybody in this forum here to agree to it .. only to respect it. Au revoir! :D :p ;)

jso2897
23rd Aug 2002, 00:19
Yeah. But the important thing is that Ms. Love is an actual musician, who makes music that has some real value. And that compensates for a lack of social graces to some extent. On the other hand, there is, as far as I know, no actual justification for the existence of Britney Spears.

DaveJ
23rd Aug 2002, 09:03
jso2897 read my mind.

Or my diary.....

Lara Croft Online
24th Aug 2002, 03:41
Lita Ford

http://www.vh1.com/artists/az/ford_lita/albums.jhtml

AmO
24th Aug 2002, 05:42
from that list i voted S. Crow, but there are more, not as many good ones as the guys but i also thought Joan Jett was good, i no there are more,but i just can't remeber right now.:confused:
oh yeah..how about Bonnie Rait, she is not only country, she is also blues and has played with some of the best blues-men

DanO-mulder
24th Aug 2002, 17:55
Nancy Wilson f/ Heart
Not a good guitar player.....a great guitar player.

infinite_sadness
24th Aug 2002, 18:18
heeeeeeey, where's Alanis Morissette?????

cowboy from hell
24th Aug 2002, 19:58
Sorry people, Jennifer Batten is the best I have ever heard! You may like other peoples music better but when it comes to sheer chops and you know whats, no one comes closer. By the way, just listen to her work on Jeff Becks' 'Who Else..?' if you don't believe me.

shirl123
25th Aug 2002, 16:27
Originally posted by infinite_sadness
heeeeeeey, where's Alanis Morissette?????

that's what I asked, if you didn't notice my post :p

infinite_sadness
25th Aug 2002, 20:25
oh my god, i'm sorry shirl123, i just vent real quick through the replies... my bad :)

purple rain
26th Aug 2002, 09:26
out of those, sheryl
but realistically, i'd say courtney love and liz phair
and maybe even pj harvey
have you failed to notice ms.love's former glamourous phase?
the versace gowns, flawless makeup and perfect hair? granted, she's had her bad moments and isn't looking healthy these days but she hasn't always looked trashy.

dont ask where that came from.

liz phair however is an absolutely HUGE inspiration to me. she wins. hands down.