PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else finding this forum slow sometimes?

RiCh
21st Aug 2002, 20:47
I was just wondering if anyone else finds this new forum a little sluggish and slow sometimes? Quite often I’m finding myself waiting for pages to refresh and replies to posts can take an age :( Is it just my connection or is anyone else experiencing this? I never had any trouble with the last forum?

Grey Mouser
21st Aug 2002, 20:56
We do run some updaters and re-index the forum a couple of times a week...this can slow down access while it is running (usually about 2 hours or so).

theBlackman
21st Aug 2002, 20:57
generally no. But once in a while it do seem to take a SECOND or two longer. No long wait time at this end.

RicknMel
21st Aug 2002, 20:59
Me too.
But I expected it. TTLG has the same probs. Newer isn't always better in all regards. But change is most usually better in the long run.

I shunned Win 95 for the longest time because "it would take over my pc". I liked DOS and stuck with it until my boss forced me to upgrade to Win 95 (prolly in 1996-7?) because of software compatability issues. Now I can't imagine life without Windows :eek: :D

<small>No wisecracks from the Linux people here either!</small> :p

Thorin Oakenshield
21st Aug 2002, 21:05
Aren't you on adsl Rich?:confused:

spare a thought for me on 56k:D
I find it slow sometimes. Usually when I want to reply to a post. :rolleyes:

2 more months for adsl for me:cool: :D

Fafhrd
22nd Aug 2002, 03:54
I haven't found it slow over cable... I don't really see HOW it can slow down much, since we don't get avatars (which I like), which can slowdown stuff a lot.

You aren't being very fair Rick - we linux users should be able to make all the wisecracks we want, especially those of us who are former windows only people :) ...of course, I AM typing this on my windows machine, so go figure... although if you liked dos so much, you should love linux...

yubetcha
22nd Aug 2002, 11:37
Yeah, I posted a few days ago that I find it slow very often. I assumed that it was net traffic.

Originally posted by RicknMel

I shunned Win 95 for the longest time because "it would take over my pc". I liked DOS and stuck with it until ... :eek: :D

<small>No wisecracks from the Linux people here either!</small> :p

I did the same thing! I liked DOS and didn't want to lose it. Now I almost never use it (hmmm ...talk about poetry).

Fafhrd
22nd Aug 2002, 23:35
I still have dos on my 486. of course, that's the only way I'm able to play things like ultima underworld and system shock.