PDA

View Full Version : Metropolis back on in the theaters!

Sarah
21st Aug 2002, 20:03
WooHoo! And it's probably old news, I know; for anyone that this is new for, check out the link---October 4, I will go see it...I'd love the Sept 6 date, but just can't see driving up to San Francisco to see a movie...
http://www.kino.com/metropolis/index.html

blincoln
21st Aug 2002, 21:56
Rad! I've been hoping that that would make it to my state.

N0V4
21st Aug 2002, 22:40
I`m srry but, Ill stick with Star Wars.....that for me is the BEST movie ever, ALL OF THEM.

Umah Bloodomen
22nd Aug 2002, 06:31
I managed to score this flick on DVD (along with the original House on Haunted Hill). There is nothing like having nostalgic movies in one's collection... :p

(PS... I scored it at Best Buy for like 10 bucks...LOL).

Lady Kreliana
22nd Aug 2002, 15:40
Sounds neat...so what's the movie about? ^_^

Sarah
22nd Aug 2002, 16:39
What's it about? You crazy lady? How can one not know the awseome glory that is Metropolis, one of the best impressionist Sci-Fi's of all time? Cower in shame, mortal!!!!
Sorry, that's just a knee-jerk reaction. This is one of my 3 favorite silent films: Nosferatu and Cabinet of Dr. Caligari are the next 2---Anyway, Metropolis is basically(and this is just a funny synopsis-I do love the movie): Rich pampered boy of the not-too-distant future is romping in the pleasure gardens one day, sees poor-but-beautiful girl with a heart of gold, falls in love, tries to find her, she is kidnapped by an evil scientist who makes a chaotic, lascivious mechanical clone of her. Clone runs amok, Workers riot, city floods, Clone burns, boy and girl must face re-building a new world with a different social order.
It actually is very good-the imagery is what makes it great though. Go see it, my lady!

blincoln
22nd Aug 2002, 17:16
I have it on DVD as well, but the visual quality is pretty poor, and it's not letterboxed. Plus I believe this version has a bunch of the material that was deleted from the more common version. It's supposed to fill out the plot more.
Sarah did a nice job of summarizing the story, and I very much agree that the visuals are what makes it so great. Imagine the Industrial Quarter from BO2, but even bigger.
There's also a totally cool set that's supposed to be some kind of illicit church, and it has this like field of crucifixes in the background. It's hard to describe in words, you have to see for yourself.

Serul
22nd Aug 2002, 18:12
I remember seeing parts of that movie at school. The teacher was talking about how "different" the movie was in it's time, because of the effects and the story/setting.

I remember seeing a scene that involved lot's of people runnning down some very long stairs and there was something with a baby cart. ;) :)

willow
23rd Aug 2002, 02:07
Originally posted by N0V4
I`m srry but, Ill stick with Star Wars.....that for me is the BEST movie ever, ALL OF THEM.

Talk about completely different kinds of films... I mean sure they're both sci-fi... but that's where the similarities end.

That’s like me saying, "Here, read this really great book by Poppy Z. Brite" and you retorting with, "No, I read this other book by Ann Rice, and I like that one... I'm going to be faithful to it".............

It's a movie... not a life commitment.... so you're not going to see it because you like Star Wars? So that means you'll never watch another movie besides the Star Wars films again right?

Lady Kreliana
23rd Aug 2002, 02:38
thanks for the summary, Sarah. Sounds interesting, I'll try to see it on DVD or something. :)

blincoln
23rd Aug 2002, 05:24
Willow: I just have to add that Poppy Z. Brite is the best. I really don't care for Anne Rice at all.

willow
23rd Aug 2002, 06:45
I love Poppy Z. Brite as well... and I loved Ann Rice’s first 3 vampire novels... all the others were rather dry... I've stopped reading her because I've grown into forcing my way through her novels... and that just takes the joy out of a good story. And besides... Luis is a far more dynamic character then Lestat... yet she persists with Lestat as the main character.

All though, Lestat going insane for a few novels (after Memnoch) was a nice little idea... but I just can't stomach the series anymore.

blincoln
23rd Aug 2002, 08:40
I just found Rice's novels to be too slowly-paced, and generally lacking in vans full of vampires driving around the country.