PDA

View Full Version : T2 isn't working??

Kaspre
21st Aug 2002, 19:11
After getting away from the Thief series for a while and playing some other games, I decided to come back and play some Thief 2. Every time I try to run the game, however, my entire computer freezes at the first splash screen. Mouse is frozen, can't ctrl-alt-del, nothing. Have to manually power off the computer and restart.

I've tried it several times, making sure NO other apps are running, etc. I even uninstalled the game, and reinstalled the game and 1.18 patch again.

Meanwhile, for a test, I started up TG and it started and ran just fine! (I was tempted to play all the way through Bafford's once I got started, but NO, that's not what I'm trying to do right now...)

I'm thoroughly puzzled. I do think I installed my latest video card more recently than I've played T2, but it shouldn't be a problem. I was using a Voodoo5, and upgraded to GeForce4 Ti4600. (Yes, I'm using the latest Nvdia Detonator drivers) Every other game loves my new vid card, but I can't come up with any other changes to the system that would prevent T2 from starting...

So, has anyone had any similar issues? Especially with GeForce4? Any other ideas what might cause this nightmare? :eek:

- Kaspre.

For reference:
Pentium III 650MHz
512MB System RAM
80GB ATA133 HDD
Windows XP Pro (with all available updates)
VisionTek's Nvidia GeForce4 Ti4600 128MB Video
Creative Labs SoundBlaster Live! Audio
3COM 3C905B-TX 10/100 PCI Ethernet

Grey Mouser
21st Aug 2002, 19:27
Thief II plays nicely on my Pentium IV 1.6Ghz/GeForce3/SB Live/XP Home setup.

It plays nicely on a GeForce 4 under Win ME on a nearby system.

Neither of which tells you much.

It might isolate whether it is indeed a video card issue if you set Thief II to run in 'safe_texture_manger" mode for testing purposes by opening User.cfg in the install directory and removing the semi-colon, save, start game...you know the drill.

If it runs in safe texture mode but not hardware accelerated, it does point to Thief II hating something about your new vid card. It it fails to run anyway in safe_textures, the ever-mysterious "something else" is more likely the culprit.

Kaspre
21st Aug 2002, 20:02
Originally posted by Grey Mouser
Thief II plays nicely on my Pentium IV 1.6Ghz/GeForce3/SB Live/XP Home setup.

It plays nicely on a GeForce 4 under Win ME on a nearby system.

Well lucky you. :rolleyes:

hehe ... just kidding. However bitter I am at my computer at the moment, I do appreciate your help. :D

It it fails to run anyway in safe_textures, the ever-mysterious "something else" is more likely the culprit.

Good thinking, but unfortunately nope, that ain't it.

The frustrating part about troubleshooting something like this is having to manually reboot after every unsuccessful attempt! :mad:

Guess I'll defrag and scan my hard drive while I try to figure out what "something else" might be interfering with all the Thiefy goodness I should be enjoying...

Thanks,

- Kaspre.

Stile451
21st Aug 2002, 20:15
Do you have DirectX 8.1 installed, or are you using DirectX 9 beta?

Have you tried all the compatiblility modes?

Grey Mouser
21st Aug 2002, 20:22
hands Kaspre a soothing libation

Agreed...computers have added more frustration to my life than almost anything else. Gggrrrrr.....

Hmmm...a few questions:

When you uninstalled and reinstalled, did you make sure to Delete the install directory after uninstalling? Always good to do that if experiencing trouble...especially when changing hardware.

When it freezes at the splash screen...do you mean the opening menu screen (New Game, Load Game, Options etc)?

It is not by chance a dual-processor system? I know you did not say so, just checking. Thief II hates dual processors.

Try Compatibility Mode? Open the Thief II install directory, right click Thief2.exe and select Properties>Compatibility>Run in Compatibility Mode for Win 98/ME...worth a try.

Kaspre
22nd Aug 2002, 01:00
Originally posted by Salvage
Do you have DirectX 8.1 installed, or are you using DirectX 9 beta?

Have you tried all the compatiblility modes?

DirectX: Hmmm, I'm unable to find a way to validate which version I'm currently using. I don't remember downloading and installing some beta multimedia subsystem for my computer. But maybe I did it under the influence of one of Mouser's libations...

Originally posted by Grey Mouser
hands Kaspre a soothing libation

Agreed...computers have added more frustration to my life than almost anything else. Gggrrrrr.....

Hmmm...a few questions:

When you uninstalled and reinstalled, did you make sure to Delete the install directory after uninstalling? Always good to do that if experiencing trouble...especially when changing hardware.

When it freezes at the splash screen...do you mean the opening menu screen (New Game, Load Game, Options etc)?

It is not by chance a dual-processor system? I know you did not say so, just checking. Thief II hates dual processors.

Try Compatibility Mode? Open the Thief II install directory, right click Thief2.exe and select Properties>Compatibility>Run in Compatibility Mode for Win 98/ME...worth a try.

delete the directory: In fact, no. I may give that a try next.

splash screen: Nope, not the menu, doesn't make it that far. Try this - try starting the game without the CD. It gives you an error message, with a small dark splash screen (just a pic with no logo or text) behind it. I get that splash screen, and a half-second later my mouse freezes with an hourglass.

Does anyone have the info on hand for running the game without the CD? I don't really think that is the problem, but it does appear to freeze about the same time it checks the CD. No CD in the drive, gives error message and exits gracefully. With CD in drive, freezes entire computer. So from a troubleshooting perspective it might not hurt to try a No-CD solution and see if it affects anything. (it is the original cd, there don't appear to be any scratches on it, etc)

dual-processor: regretfully, nope. only in my dreams...

Compatibility Mode: Hmmm, well I don't remember having to fool with this before, but both Salvage and Grey Mouser think its a good idea. I guess I'll give it a tr **CRASH!!!** :rolleyes:

Thanks for the suggestions, no dice so far but at least we're eliminating possibilities. :)

- Kas.

Vanguard
22nd Aug 2002, 03:59
I have not experienced that installing new video drivers causes problems in Thief. However, I have found that installing new audio drivers (after an install of Thief) can make Thief misbehave. For example, I downloaded the latest SBlive drives and EAX got muddy and some effects were so quiet (like my footsteps) that I could barely hear them. Reinstalling Thief fixed the audio defects in Thief.

Have you updated your sound drivers since installing Thief?

Kaspre
23rd Aug 2002, 00:07
Well, an update is in order since I've eliminated a few more possibilities:

Delete the Directory Ok, I uninstalled, deleted the directory, and reinstalled. No dice. I also tried playing the game before installing the patch, also no good.

Sound Drivers Well, as it turns out there were some pretty recent drivers for my sound card (July 02). So I downloaded them and installed, but no change - T2 still freezes the comp.

CD-Verification I was almost positive that the disc-verification process isn't the cause of my problem, since its the same disc and the same drive that I used to use all the time. However, when I was doing my latest install, I copied both discs to my hard drive and installed from there. My computer froze once while copying disc 2 ... I was able to reboot and copy without a problem, but I've never seen that happen before, its the same CD, and the freeze was exactly the same. Hmmm.

I'd really like to try a no-cd setup and see if the cd-verification process is causing my problems. Does anyone have the information on how to accomplish this?

Thanks,

- Kas.

Grey Mouser
23rd Aug 2002, 00:36
Strictly for informational purposes...try HERE (http://www.mseyre.freeserve.co.uk/)...and pretend you have the Premier Edition of Thief II. (wait...DO you have the Premier Edition?)

Kaspre
23rd Aug 2002, 02:44
SUCCESS!!

Whoohoo! I can play T2 again!!! :D :D

Thanks for the link, that was exactly what I needed, surprisingly enough.

Nope, no premier edition AFAIK. Just the off-the-shelf (1.07, I think?) version.

I'm a little wierded out by the experience. I've never had any such issues before, and I've spent hours (days?!?) playing Thief 2 with these very same discs, in this very same cd-rom drive...

But its working now, so I'll count my blessings and get back to taffin' again. :D

And I have the added bonus of being able to pack my CD's away, since I don't need 'em to play now. Hmmm ... while I'm at it, I might fix a few other games too. I do get so tired of hunting for my game cd every time I decide to play something different for a while.

Thanks again for all your help,

- Kaspre. :cool:

PS For anyone else checking out that site, I first tried the third related link (v2.05) and it didn't work out for me. The second (v1.5) did the trick, so I didn't bother trying the first link (NoCD) to see if it works or not. Hope this helps.

Peter_Smith
24th Aug 2002, 06:04
Glad you got it to work. I'm getting into this kind of late -- after the problem is solved. Anyway, it seems from what you are describing that you may have a bad CDROM player. If you have a spare, I suggest substituting it in to see what happens. I have had CDROMs fail on Thief but work on other apps, and changing the CDROM fixed it.

Kaspre
24th Aug 2002, 15:04
Thanks Peter. I think as long as its only T2 that has problems with my drive, and since I've found a workaround for said problems, I'll just leave well enough alone.

I'm planning a new computer purchase around Feb of next year (DX2 anyone?) so I probably won't sweat too much about my current setup for the time being. Then again maybe I'll just transition to my XBox now that all my fav games are being co-developed for it. :D In either case my current computer needn't be too much of a concern.

Regards,

- Kas.