PDA

View Full Version : demo for hitman 2 on website!!

sammiej
20th Aug 2002, 21:02
HERE (ftp://fileplanet.blueyonder.co.uk/store2/blueyondergames/demos/Hitman2Demo.zip) is where you can find the demo for hitman

{RE-Edit}

Put the link back in. Or, "a link." And a SUPER-fast download, too. Best hosting of the demo I've found so far.

I apologize for editing this in the first place. I just had to take it out when I first thought it was a pirated or warzed version of an incomplete beta build. No hard feelings, I hope.

Ok, here's what we know about the demo so far:

It seems like it wasn't done yet. From what I can gather, it just isn't complete and wasn't ready for public consumption. And, based on reports I've been hearing all day, it doesn't work with the latest nVidia drivers or with SoundBlaster Audigy. Which is probably why IOI and Eidos haven't publicly released it yet.

A more complete demo should be coming sometime near the middle of September.

- Zaphod

{/RE-Edit}

Xcom
20th Aug 2002, 21:27
This sucks. :mad:
If this is supposedly the same demo from PCGamer mag, how come it doesn't work? (how the hell did they get it anyway?). Readme mentions nothing (not a word) about system requirements. It also doesn't work with older 28.32 Detonator drivers, nor with even older nVidia drivers...(at least on my system, maybe it needs more than 16 mb vram, dunno). Fooi.

Grey Mouser
21st Aug 2002, 00:15
The answer I received was that nVidia released newer drivers after the PC gamer discs were in manufacturing.

And that it is supposed to work on the .2832's and .2942's.

And that you should lower or disable hardware sound acceleration if attempting to run on an Audigy.

It runs for me using GeForce3/SB Live/Win XP Home.

Xcom
21st Aug 2002, 02:01
Hah, I've got it to work. Damn sound acceleration was the problem (apparently). Didn't try that b4, cause I don't have Audigy but plain ol' SB 128 PCI. The game runs suspiciously smoothly on my outdated machine (hope it stays that way). It did crash after about 15 minutes but oh well, at least it started. :D

Looking good so far tho I have difficult time adapting to the new controls and cameras.

Techguy
21st Aug 2002, 02:28
This is really annoying me and I sure hope this game doesn't ship like this but all the models keep going black on me..Hitman...the badguys..everyone. Sometimes when you turn the camera a certain way it's fine. Has anyone else encountered this?

This is NOT an official demo though?

Xcom
21st Aug 2002, 03:25
Originally posted by Techguy
This is NOT an official demo though?

Depends on what you mean with "official". Officially made - probably yes, officially released - no. I don't think it's a good idea to base opinions on this demo, at least not about performance and such.

Catman
21st Aug 2002, 03:36
Weird. On my system (Voodoo3/Direct3D), the NPCs and Hitman all look like they fell into a vat of flour, and aside from shading, there are no textures on buildings, etc..

Techguy
21st Aug 2002, 11:41
Well..i'll feel a little better if they release an "official" demo that's up to par as far as sound and video performance. If they ship it in it's current state and I end up buying it i'm really gonna be unhappy. This was originally slated to release in spring and they decided to push it back..presumably to work out the bugs like this.

Slightly off topic...any of you have an audigy and can't get music to play in Hitman 1? Any way to fix this?

Muzman
21st Aug 2002, 13:06
However it got out, it appears Eidos are supporting it.
http://bluesnews.com/cgi-bin/board.pl?action=viewthread&threadid=36938

Zaphod
21st Aug 2002, 13:35
Thanks for that link, Muzman!

It's tough to say if this was intended as the "official" demo, which would explain the problems and the workarounds needed to fix them.

I tried it last night. Works great on my machine, but I know others are having trouble. Hopefully these workarounds will help, and I imagine that the fact that Eidos seems to be somewhat on board will speed up their release of the Final Demo.

Xcom
21st Aug 2002, 16:10
Did any1 figure out how or where can you save during the mission?
In my case, this option stays disabled all the time. :confused:
Also, does any1 know how to zoom in/out your sniper view if you don't have mouse scroll wheel? [edit: remapping controls doesn't seem to work]
Anyway, I finished the demo. :D I am yet to finish with 100% stealth cuz so far, I have no luck staying undetected. AI of the guards seems to pretty good.
So many different weapons....wawww. (yeah, I cheated myself all weapons ;) ) However I don't like how they look in 1st person view...kinda small, undetailed and out of proportion.

Catman
21st Aug 2002, 17:19
Finally got to see the textures -- manually switched to OpenGL in the ini file. Note that WickGL drivers don't seem to work at all (at least on my system). Figures still black and white. Unfortunately, it also runs extremely slow, but at least now I can see the lay of the land in its full splendor. Very nice.

I found the fists an interesting addition to the weapon selection. :D

Zaphod
23rd Aug 2002, 00:51
I liked the fists and the "hit someone with the butt of your gun if you're too close to fire a shot" feature. Realistic, and nicely implemented.

Oh, and I re-edited the first post in this thread and put a link to the demo back in.

Mordred
24th Aug 2002, 01:23
Originally posted by sammiej
it doesn't work with the latest nVidia drivers
- Zaphod

{/RE-Edit}

it works with them fine for me, i have a creative geforce 2 pro 64mb

just out of interest

Zaphod
24th Aug 2002, 02:26
Thanks for replying, Mordred. Good to get a bunch of feedback about technical compatibility.

They work fine for me, too - GeForce4Ti and whatever Win2K drivers NVidia put out a week or two ago. But I've heard some say it's buggy with some NVidia cards. Requires some user-side tweaking, at least.

sammiej
24th Aug 2002, 14:35
i am glad that a demo has finally came out'
when some one finds out that a new demo of another mission has come out please tell me becaus ei have done this demo for two weeks and i wanna play another mission
also
the cheats work on this demo except for anything ip_debug
to in sert enable console you do the same as the first game:D

Mike_B
27th Aug 2002, 08:47
Has anyone else noticed the following: I've changed the gamma setting in the game from 1 to 1.60 (I prefer to see what I'm doing rather than just running in the dark) but when I restart the game it's back dark untill I go to options & click graphics then it automaticly adjust to what it was.

Muzman
27th Aug 2002, 19:02
Yup, happens to me too. I wish it was clearer what time of day it was. At normal gamma it looks like dusk but the sun is rather too high for that

Saba
11th Sep 2002, 02:27
Hold on a second--this means I can't play Hitman 2 with my GeForce 2, right? Should I wait, or should I download the demo?

corseque
12th Sep 2002, 07:52
I can't access the console. Inserting enableconsole 1 in the .ini doesn't seem to do anything at all. I have the 30.-series nvidia drivers and the onyl graphic problem is that at the beginning of the msision I see these funny triangles all over the place. Moving the view around clears some of them and inside the walls of the villa they vanish completely. Other than that, Hitman 2 looks really good. Blood spaltter on the walls is a realistic touch though guards still ignore all the blood stains.

Saba
13th Sep 2002, 02:02
I can't download the currently available demo anyways...

Techguy
1st Oct 2002, 00:26
Official demo =
char models are still rendered pitch black in either opengl or D3D.
this is using the det 40 series with gf4ti4600 which is unacceptable even if the developers have acknowledged it. They've had plenty of time to release a new updated demo since then.

Audigy problems. Unaccpetable as well.

How the hell do they expect me to buy this game based on a demo that only runs half assed? I am near furious because I loved the first game and now they are gonna release a second game with bugs apparent right from the get-go. You guys know the music in the original hitman doesn't work with an audigy either? They sure as hell haven't patched that up. But noone wants to talk about that.

So until they release a demo that works 100% and I mean ONE-HUNDERED PERCENT I will not be buying this game, no matter how good the gameplay is.

Saba
1st Oct 2002, 02:25
I'm sure that these are only minor issues that will be addressed by the game's release. I suggest you buy it when it's released, and if you experience any difficulties just return it to the store from which it was purchased.

I will not be buying this game, no matter how good the gameplay is.

That's pretty rough. I don't see why the game has to be 100% for you to buy it. Nothing's ever going to be perfect, I'm afraid, and you may have to accept some problems.

Techguy
2nd Oct 2002, 11:59
That's pretty rough. I don't see why the game has to be 100% for you to buy it. Nothing's ever going to be perfect, I'm afraid, and you may have to accept some problems.

I'd like to see you walk into a car dealership with that same attitude. Are you dense?

"Uh..well...the windshield wipers and headlights on my brand new $30k car don't work but..eh..nothings ever going to be perfect."

What will happen then? It's gonna be a dark, stormy night and you're gonna crash.

Just like your PC is gonna crash if you try to take advantage of all the nifty features of that $100+ soundcard or $300+ video card.

I built my own pc specifically for playing great games with no problems and great performance. I'll be darned if i'm gonna spend my money on software that doesn't run properly because of a lazy "release now, patch later..if at all" attitude.

Anyway, the game has gone gold, therefore there must be *someone* here from Eidos that has played the gold copy and knows whether or not this stuff has been fixed. Maybe that person can come here and shed a little light? I hope they will release another, updated demo sometime after release as they did with the original Hitman. Until then I'm not touching it.

Seriously here...this game was originally slated to release in *spring*. If the game still to this day has petty render and sound bugs I wanna know what Io has been doing all these extra months and what other bugs/annoyances await the end user who's about to fork over $50. I'm gonna laugh if the cd ships with v28.32 nvidia drivers on it.

One would think I am overreacting, but honestly, none of you can sit there and tell me that this release now patch later crap isn't getting out of hand with these devs/hurried publishers.

Edit: Typo :mad:

Saba
3rd Oct 2002, 04:27
I'd like to see you walk into a car dealership with that same attitude. Are you dense?

There is a tremendous difference between cars and computers, the latter being very unpredictable and never perfect. Never. And I'm not sure what you mean by "Are you dense?"

What will happen then? It's gonna be a dark, stormy night and you're gonna crash.

I've crashed numerous times with the demo, but that didn't lead me to refuse to buy the full version. Just reboot the damn game.

Just like your PC is gonna crash if you try to take advantage of all the nifty features of that $100+ soundcard or $300+ video card.

Are you sure this isn't a driver issue--have you updated everything? I'm running the game on a 450 MHz AMD with a 64 MB GF 2 (28.32 drivers), and while the game has been unstable at times, it has been bearable.

Anyway, the game has gone gold, therefore there must be *someone* here from Eidos that has played the gold copy and knows whether or not this stuff has been fixed. Maybe that person can come here and shed a little light? I hope they will release another, updated demo sometime after release as they did with the original Hitman. Until then I'm not touching it.

Don't. If that's the way you feel, don't. But you'll be missing out on a lot.

Seriously here...this game was originally slated to release in *spring*. If the game still to this day has petty render and sound bugs I wanna know what Io has been doing all these extra months and what other bugs/annoyances await the end user who's about to fork over $50.

They've been making a good game better.

I'm gonna laugh if the cd ships with v28.32 nvidia drivers on it.

Too bad you'll never know.

One would think I am overreacting...

You are.

Muzman
3rd Oct 2002, 04:31
although it would appear to defeat the purpose of something called a "demo", game demos released before...uh... release are, for obvious reasons, almost never representative of the finished product. Most of them say so in bold type somewhere too.
And these days, with tight dev cycles and support costs, very few companies release updated demos after 'going gold'.
The situation is not good, but it's just the way it goes. It might seem like bad practice and poor business but largely no one seems to care. And if you know what to expect (or what not to expect) from a demo it's hard to see a serious problem. It's not as though there's a public safety issue arising from exploding petrol tanks or anything.

ICEBreaker
3rd Oct 2002, 08:01
Techguy, you can wait till the reviews come out for Hitman 2 and then decide to buy it or not. If there are glitches, they will be mentioned in the reviews. Pre-release demos are rarely, if ever, going to work perfectly, and therefore are unlikely to be proper representations of the real games. Demos are a demonstration of the minimum standards of the release version.

Saba
3rd Oct 2002, 21:38
Good point, ICE. The demo you're playing is a prerelease, TechGuy.