PDA

View Full Version : Been talked about before, it's new to me, and what a RUSH!

BrokenArts
19th Aug 2002, 04:31
Tonight, I was running beta through Apache's mission. Finishing up some final things on it. I wanted to let out a Big mech beast, and play with it a bit. So, he was let out, I don't wanna give too much away for those that haven't played it yet. :)

Anyway, the beast was in a room on full alert mode, trying to hunt me down. I hide for a minute. Then came back out, in full view, then ducked back in. He went on his merry way.

Well, I got my black jack out, and snuck up behind, and just started whaling on it. With every blow, it would jerk, and *clang*
*clang* *clang*
It quickly turned around, and was facing me, *finger almost ready to hit the escape button* But, I kept at it, was in the big beasts face, and he kept backing up, and backing up, he couldn't aim at me. And I just pummled him. And he collasped and fell forward. *ERROR.........ERROR........Fails to understand*
And he died. :eek: :eek: :D :D
I was stunned. If hadn't tried it myself. I would of never believed it. It was kick ass. After all this time. This is new for me..
Oh and killing another Tree Ent today.
Man, hahahahahahah..... :D

SlyFoxx
19th Aug 2002, 14:11
I read (I think it was at TTLG....one of those "walk-through" threads with all the funny pictures, strange things to do and stacks of ctares and appels etc....think it was Azal's doing...anyway) that it takes 18 BJ's to take out the big bots. That is, if you can stand near one that long. Good going you taffer.

Ents don't give me too much trouble as long as I don't let one get the drop on me.

I remember the first time I saw the Ents. It was in Trail of Blood on my second run through T2. The first time through I guess I had all the objectives ticked off so when I got to the "glade" the mission ended. Just before it did I heard these really strange noises that CREEPED ME OUT. I guess I went just the right way and found the mission end sooner than usual and did not disturbe any of the Ents enough for them to chase me. I was just glad to seen the screen change because I had a feeling I was in real trouble. :eek: So on my second run I had forgotten this. When I first saw the thing busting off in my direction I about did a messy in my shorts. It was the single most disturbing/frightening incident I've ever encounterted in Thief. I guess it was just the utter surprise being caught soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo off guard.

Danventry
19th Aug 2002, 14:35
Lol, it takes a lot of guts and time to kill the bigbots with a blackjack. I remember the first time I saw and Ent. I had gotten into the glade in TOB and I had heard about Ents here. Well, I wanted to see one, so I took a fire arrow I had and shot it at a tree, then ran to hide behind one (it would have been funnier if I hid behind an Ent, but I wasn't that stupid). Well, I see this really ugly blue and black and green tree thing walk over to the tree and look around. Then he starts walking over to the tree I'm hiding behind so I said "Oh crud!" (but not as nicely said) and ran on the legs the Dark engine let me have and I arrived at the courier, so I didn't have to deal with him.

yubetcha
19th Aug 2002, 15:03
I've been able to easily kill bots with the BJ by going forward as they keep backing up. And sometimes they die in a doorway, so it takes another 8 BJ hits to break them down so you can carry the main part and get through the doorway. Lately I've had fun trying to get them to kill themselves with their own bombs. This is old for some, but anyway, you go through a doorway or around a wall and let them come after you. Go to the left, and put the door jam or wall corner between you and them. They shoot, and the bomb drops at their feet. I've been able to kill them with as little as two bombs, and I'm working on doing it in one. It may not be possible though. Boy, the things we do to keep busy till T3 comes out. :rolleyes: LOL!
As for an Ent, I never touch the stuff, unless I have fire arrows. :)

BrokenArts
19th Aug 2002, 16:32
Oh I know, what is old is new again pretty much. I have read some of the past old posts on how you all did it. But, I vaguely read them, swore I would never do it. I couldn't do it. :D

But, Yubetcha, Ent it fun! :p
Come on, if *I* can do it, you can do it too. After all this time, wouldn't it be cool to do something else, something *new* for a change? Come on, you can do it.
Thing is, get them from behind, hhhmmm I wonder if it is the same for Tree Ents, as it is for the Mech Beasts, that they back up? I don't know, I doubt it too. I will try it though just to see.

Now I wanna see the results with the Mech Beast in another mission, see if I get the same results.

Sly......isn't that one of the coolest feelings, being scared like that. I too remember it well. Love the way their branches practically lick the top of you when your running your arse off. :D

We need an FM with more of them in it. ;)

SlyFoxx
19th Aug 2002, 17:52
branches practically lick the top of you when your running your arse off. ........BA

Yeah that's really scary. Same deal with a Haunt's sword if he gets close enough.:eek:

littlek
19th Aug 2002, 19:54
Yubetcha - I too take great delight in getting those Mech beasties to blow themselves up. What is even more gratifying is getting about 3 of them stuck in a doorway blasting away at you but hitting each other instead. Now the little guys, I just ignore them. But if their prattle gets to me, I chase them around thumping them with the blackjack until..."error, error...."

I could have nightmares about those Ents. There should be a warning with this mission that you could end up with dirty pants by entering that evil forest. Plus that blasted little light that was supposed to be so friendly? Well it took me right to those trees. I didn’t have a chance!

yubetcha
20th Aug 2002, 11:17
Originally posted by littlek
Yubetcha - I too take great delight in getting those Mech beasties to blow themselves up. What is even more gratifying is getting about 3 of them stuck in a doorway blasting away at you but hitting each other instead. Now the little guys, I just ignore them. But if their prattle gets to me, I chase them around thumping them with the blackjack until..."error, error...."

Yeah, I enjoy getting a few of the big bots into a room, and get up high, watching them try to shoot me and shooting each other instead. And those little bots are even less of a bother than ants (even fire ants). One thing I have noticed about them in fan missions is that for one thing, they don't see you. They don't go into alert mode unless you bump into them as I sometimes do purposely. After they get off of alert and go back to patrol, you could bump into them all day, and they won't alert. They don't reset after the first alert. That takes the fun out of it.

Originally posted by littlek
I could have nightmares about those Ents. There should be a warning with this mission that you could end up with dirty pants by entering that evil forest. Plus that blasted little light that was supposed to be so friendly? Well it took me right to those trees. I didn’t have a chance!

Do you mean the little white light that travels? If so, I think that's a fairy, and I think its purpose is just to make the area lighter, making the game more difficult. That's the only thing they have done for me, anyway. There are times that I would like to douse them like a torch. Boy, those ents, though! I guess I should work on them next, now that the big bots can be boring at times. The only time I would like to go into third person mode is when I'm being chased by an ent. That must really be something to see, especially when it's close enough that its branches hang down in front of you. I think that after losing it (yeah right!), I would look for a laundromat :)

Peter_Smith
21st Aug 2002, 05:05
I was trying to kill a combat bot with my BJ yesterday and failed after about 10 attempts. I used the method of full frontal assault, forcing him to back up. Seems like every time I try coming from a diffent direction he spins and nails me. Anyway, with the frontal assault, I'd get about 10 hits in and then blammo:) Does this procedure fail to work when its back is against the wall, or might it be different properties of the bot?

I did get him with two other approaches. Both were was self kills, one using a pillar, and the second using a frogbeast.

If you like tree beasts, then just hold on. Schwaa is working on something you will definitely like.:)

Zaccheus
21st Aug 2002, 13:07
Like I always say:
points at signature

Peter_Smith
21st Aug 2002, 14:09
Yes, I agree. The BJ is more effective on many creatures. It is faster and more silent. For example, a burrick goes down with one BJ hit (if unalerted), but a sword may require 2-3. You can kill a human AI with a frontal assault fairly easily because he does not have time to react. Lately I have taken to BJing spiders, something that never occurred to me before I played a mission that has a shortage of broadheads. Seems like the BJ. although its image looks shorter than a sword, is just as effective at reaching down to the floor.