PDA

View Full Version : The Time has come: SR2 Review

ThePunk327
17th Aug 2002, 15:48
I believe in spite of everything,
all video games are good

this quote im mind, my uncle bought me soul reaver 2
i returned it for Warcraft III.
Months later i rented it from Blockbuster after playing the demo on my computer.

The game begins with a beautifully rendered cinema scene. The facial expressions were mapped to perfection. The game continues with a very long cutscene then goes straight into the "action". Needless to say, i beat the game 12 hours later. It took me 1 day to beat a game my uncle had previously paid $50 for. I have played every LoK game now, and i am utterly dissapointed about both sequels compared to the originals. Back to SR2.

The game lacked one thing over all: CHALLENGE.
I blew through it without dying once. The only part that I struggled was the stronghold in the future. If you werent used to dodging you were dead. Lightning Demons were a *****, while the "hardest demon" the black demon gave me no trouble at all.
You face Kain twice in the first 20 minutes, and you never even have a chance to fight him! They could have given you the chalenge and then had the cinema. Next, the puzzles were a joke. An inanimate object could have done them behind their backs. On top of that, the game only featured 5 puzzles.
I was excited to see that you could use the Reaver 24/7; only to be lived down once again. The reaver was practically useless in combat (the health penalty). I admit, it was useful against demons, but that was it. Everything else could be taken care of with a pike or a trident, which gave you the health afterwards. Next, the game was pathetically linear, and it lacked the "adventure feel" it guaranteed. You visit around 10 areas at the most and revisit about 6 of those 3 times. The game gets a ten on annoyance the annoyance. I didnt encounter the Shadow glitch but i did encounter the blood glitch; the fire room fills with blood to the point where you cant even restart the puzzle. Oy. I believe that is enough bashing, so heres my recommendation.

1: Spend more time and money on the next game, and end it there.
A sequal to both SR2 and BO2 should come on the same package. A disk for each character, and then a disk to where they work for the same cause, as hinted to in SR2. Call it "The Legacy of Kain: Full Circle".
Sure itll cost money, but it will be worth it. So many plot twists and new plotlines in the stories should be tied up.

2: Never end a game with a quote other then to be continued or the end.
History abhors a paradox? What!?

In essence, they are great games, but they will need a great conclusion to me to forgive the mistakes of SR2 and BO2. Good night, and farewell.

Riovanes
17th Aug 2002, 16:37
Thank you, oh wise and noble pundit... Thou hast enlightened the ignorant masses, for yea verily, there are those among us who have had the game since its inception upon the glorious PS2, and have thusly thrashed it about for nearly a year now... And yet thou hast cast new light upon that which was a'fore naught but shadows.

Translation:

Gee, thanks for revealing all that new and wonderful stuff! I mean, most of us have only had the game since last October... It's not as if we could've finished the game on our own by now, and possibly formed our own opinions on the actual qualities (or lack thereof) of said game. I am forced to wonder at the sheer egotism it would take to assume your review is of any value whatsoever, considering most of us probably beat the game before you ever even heard of it. The assumption that we cannot appreciate the underlying values of a game, and make judgements thereon, is so incredibly vain of you that I am forced to believe you either a pompous ass, or just an oaf. Either way, you lose...

BAH!!!

KainSyndrome101
17th Aug 2002, 18:32
Bravo, Riovanes, Bravo!

Heck, I got it on the first day.

blincoln
17th Aug 2002, 18:46
ObRECVSLOKGCom*: I would very much like the series to stay seperate, rather than having Kain and Raziel both as playable characters in the same game.

*New acronym! "Obligatory Resident Evil: Code Veronica-Style Legacy of Kain Game Comment" - it's mission: to balance posts like this one so that CrystalD doesn't think everyone would like such a game.

Power reaver
18th Aug 2002, 06:24
How many times has this happened ?

If your not happy with it , sell it , throw it of your window or give it to somebody else (And if you rented it , throw a party to thank god you didnt buy it ). I for one was satisfied with the game . Sure there was a lot of room for improvement , they could have made it longer and given more to explore , heck I think they could have squeezed in a Boss fight or 2 , but they didnt , so what are you gonna do about it ?

Before you even rented the game , you should have read other reviews , to tell you whats exactly is in the game . Ever heard of Gamefaqs or Gamespot ?

Iam sorry to tell you that your review is of no value , espicially to us . CD is well aware of the games flaws , and we already have request threads going to ensure that SR3 doesnt have them .

And if your trying to help the games become better then you ll have to do more than that , it would have been more sensible if you gave suggestions to make the gameplay better etc , and not stuff like put both Chars in 1 game . (BTW for your GK SR2 and BO2 were made by different teams) .

If you really want the good of LOK then I suggest you not act like a total *** and stop whining , and help make SR3 "the Best Game Ever that will Blow every one away ."

necropotence
21st Aug 2002, 13:03
Your perfect game would have to be of your making...................

Azuriel
21st Aug 2002, 17:08
Originally posted by ThePunk327
I believe in spite of everything,
all video games are good

this quote im mind, my uncle bought me soul reaver 2
i returned it for Warcraft III.
Months later i rented it from Blockbuster after playing the demo on my computer.

The game begins with a beautifully rendered cinema scene. The facial expressions were mapped to perfection. The game continues with a very long cutscene then goes straight into the "action". Needless to say, i beat the game 12 hours later. It took me 1 day to beat a game my uncle had previously paid $50 for. I have played every LoK game now, and i am utterly dissapointed about both sequels compared to the originals. Back to SR2.

The game lacked one thing over all: CHALLENGE.
I blew through it without dying once. The only part that I struggled was the stronghold in the future. If you werent used to dodging you were dead. Lightning Demons were a *****, while the "hardest demon" the black demon gave me no trouble at all.
You face Kain twice in the first 20 minutes, and you never even have a chance to fight him! They could have given you the chalenge and then had the cinema. Next, the puzzles were a joke. An inanimate object could have done them behind their backs. On top of that, the game only featured 5 puzzles.
I was excited to see that you could use the Reaver 24/7; only to be lived down once again. The reaver was practically useless in combat (the health penalty). I admit, it was useful against demons, but that was it. Everything else could be taken care of with a pike or a trident, which gave you the health afterwards. Next, the game was pathetically linear, and it lacked the "adventure feel" it guaranteed. You visit around 10 areas at the most and revisit about 6 of those 3 times. The game gets a ten on annoyance the annoyance. I didnt encounter the Shadow glitch but i did encounter the blood glitch; the fire room fills with blood to the point where you cant even restart the puzzle. Oy. I believe that is enough bashing, so heres my recommendation.

1: Spend more time and money on the next game, and end it there.
A sequal to both SR2 and BO2 should come on the same package. A disk for each character, and then a disk to where they work for the same cause, as hinted to in SR2. Call it "The Legacy of Kain: Full Circle".
Sure itll cost money, but it will be worth it. So many plot twists and new plotlines in the stories should be tied up.

2: Never end a game with a quote other then to be continued or the end.
History abhors a paradox? What!?

In essence, they are great games, but they will need a great conclusion to me to forgive the mistakes of SR2 and BO2. Good night, and farewell.

ok this basically says that your perfect game will be:

1. impossible to beat, and you`ll suffer a nervous breakdown in the process of killing the first enemy, who will have a few million hitpoints

2. enemies will hit hard, be tough, and faster than your own shadow

3. your enemies will all look like Kain

4. puzzles will be completely illogical, and impossible to solve, because there are 23498764 combinations

5. your game won`t have ANY story, or linearity, to prevent you from feeling restricted.

6. one game only. no sequals. and HUNDREDS of patches to fix any small bugs you might encounter.

did i get it right? :D

Apocrypha Roxy
21st Aug 2002, 17:52
C'mon, you make it sound like CRAP!

I, for one, thought SR2 was quite a good game. It has it's replay value if you finish it fast - review the dialogue, go through the game again to pick up hints and form theories on the finale. You will miss some stuff the first time around. Replaying it will help you understand the game better.

Plus the end quote was much better than 'to be continued' or 'the end' : it blew your mind and was a cliffhanger.

All of the games have their quirks, naturally, but they stand up to the test of good gaming.

And your theory of linearity is insane. The only game I've ever played that can pull off the non-linear concept well is Thief and it's sequels - which it has done fantastically - and still it has a sub-linear aspect for goals & such - story and plot drive the game, it's not like it's a free-for-all.

And for the record, I purchased my PS2 about a month ago, along with Blood Omen 2. I finished the game in 2 weeks, without walkthroughs or cheats - just friendly forum help. And I liked it. Alot. And I'll replay it to understand the deal with the ::spoiler:: Hylden and their major issues with the Ancients, which we have yet to totally grasp.

And I'm getting SR2 for my PS2, even though I already finished it on my PC - for the trailers and the outtakes and all the goodies on the PS disc.

(BTW what exactly is on the extras for the PS2 version of SR2? Just want to make sure).

Umah Bloodomen
22nd Aug 2002, 06:28
Roxy, there are bloopers, the timeline, some pictures and whatnot on the "extras" of the PS2 version. (A good one of Simon too I might add... :p) And Chris' bus is on there. LOL

Apocrypha Roxy
22nd Aug 2002, 18:41
KOSHER!

I'm getting it as soon as I have my little cloven paws on $50.

OH wait... birthday is a week from Saturday... Oo0oh!

Jumps up & down really happy because she has an excuse to open up something shiny and new, and because she's going to the New York Renaissance Fair all dressed up in costume & all! HAPPY DAY! :D

Umah Bloodomen
22nd Aug 2002, 18:50
I'm headed to the Michigan Renaissance Fair here next weekend. :p

I have to purchase something to accompany my chainmail halter top. :p

Serul
22nd Aug 2002, 18:51
There's also a lot of prodution images from the game, concept art and stuff. Background music from both the games. A revamped version of the SR1 intro. A production chapter about the SR2 intro, including storyboards and stuff. All the dialogue from SR2 (although not for SR1 if I recall). And lot's more...

I'm a sucker for extra's LOL. :D

warpsavant
22nd Aug 2002, 19:11
[this message was left blank by the user]

Umah Bloodomen
22nd Aug 2002, 19:19
Originally posted by warpsavant
[this message was left blank by the user]

Now, now warp...we don't want to go get "The Sarafan Order's" panties all in a bunch again. :p

warpsavant
22nd Aug 2002, 19:55
Who the heck is the Sarafan Order? They wear panties? Hmmm.....sounds interesting....