PDA

View Full Version : Simple Skinning Problems

ESpark
16th Aug 2002, 19:07
Hey all.

I'm doing a reskin of the Karmarama, trying to turn them into Nalis from Unreal / Unreal Tourny. Only problem is, Nalis don't have hair, and I dont know which skin is the green-ball hair. I found one called hair.tga.ddt or something like that, but it was blank when I used ddsconv to decompress it.

On the same vein, I want to reskin the Siren's winds and see if I can get them to be sorta Diablo2-style angel wings. The wing's skin seems to be blank.

Comments?

kool_kats_rule
17th Aug 2002, 17:18
If they go Diablo 2, wouldn't it be too scary to go into a love nest?

ESpark
17th Aug 2002, 21:26
Naah - more tendrils = more fun ;)

Sephiroth110
18th Aug 2002, 01:09
Naah - more tendrils = more fun
you many say that, but think of the poor, peeps, more tendrils does not = more fun for them

Pinky the Cow
18th Aug 2002, 07:54
Both Siren's wings and Karmarama's hair are animated objects and are not skinnable, i'm afraid. Not that easily at least.

Mucky Foot
18th Aug 2002, 11:08
Those are the right textures. I suspect there's a problem with the DDT->TGA converter - maybe it has problems with textures with alpha channels. Internally, DDTs come in five flavours - the five DirectX texture formats - DXT1 to DXT5. Normally, we only use DXT1, but for textures with alpha channels, we use one of the others (I confess I've forgotten which one :-) So maybe the DDT->TGA convertor you have doesn't handle non-DXT1 formats.

You don't absolutely need to unpack the DDTs of course, you could just draw the TGAs yourself and see what happens. Doesn't take long to figure out what pixels will go where.

TomF - Muckyfoot coder.

Xerxes790
25th Aug 2002, 00:15
I tried to re-skin the Holosuite into a combat deck "HoloFight" to simulate the fighting pit.

The TGA files I made when I tried to reconvert them back, I lose data (the alpha channels). The recompressed files are not the same size. I am not an expert but it lies somewhere in the recompression back into TGA.DDT something with "losing" the alpha channel I think.

I posted this a while back...trying to make a mod. Has any one tried to re-skin a BUILDING? I really wanted to finish my mission.:(

DeadHead
4th Sep 2002, 00:32
Originally posted by ESpark
Hey all.

I'm doing a reskin of the Karmarama, trying to turn them into Nalis from Unreal / Unreal Tourny. Only problem is, Nalis don't have hair, and I dont know which skin is the green-ball hair. I found one called hair.tga.ddt or something like that, but it was blank when I used ddsconv to decompress it.

It is quite easy to remove the hair from the Karamaramas what you need to do is download the invisble wings skin/file I made, it's on startopia post.

Rename it from NEWSIREN512.tga.ddt to hair.tga.ddt and replace the original file, this will remove all the hair and you get this...

http://www.mmccc.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/baldkarma.jpg

Hope that helped :)