PDA

View Full Version : Why Bravus isn't around much lately

bravus
15th Aug 2002, 16:18
If you wondered... (and if you don't care, you needn't read any more of this thread :p)

I'm doing very little gaming of any kind at the moment - and in fact not having much of a life of any kind - because although it's supposedly my summer vacation from uni I'm working on two other projects. I thought some of you might find them at least mildly interesting:

<ol><li>I'm working with the Alberta Teachers Association (the teachers union here) on a report. We went through a teachers strike earlier this year, partly about wages but more about classroom conditions. The ATA held about 40 hearings all around the province to find out about the conditions teachers are facing, and received almost 1200 submissions. The government has now set up a commission of inquiry into education, so I'm reading the 1200 submissions (8 huge 4 inch thick folders worth!) and writing a report for this commission. The main challenges teachers face arise out of funding cuts, but manifest themselves as very large class sizes, and the integration of students with special needs (English as a second language, physical and intellectual disabilities, behavioural problems and gifted and talented students) into regular classrooms with no extra help and support and little funding. There are a bunch of other issues too, which I can describe in more detail if anyone's interested, but that's the main one.
<li>I've also just been invited to join a project where I'll teach Grade 11 and Grade 12 physics to a group of around 15 students in six schools in far northern Alberta. I'll be here in Edmonton in a studio type environment. In the first semester I'll have just voice over the internet, plus a 'smart' whiteboard - one that allows me to write on the whiteboard here in Edmonton and have it appear immediately in all the six schools, and also allows me to project computer stuff on the screen. Later, when the fibre optic 'pipe' is in place, we'll be using full screen streaming video that will allow them to see me, and me to see all of them. Some of the students are from small and strict Mennonite colonies, and some from First Nations bands in that area.</ol>

So I'm keeping myself interested and out of trouble with both these projects. They're both fun, and career-advancing, and I'm also getting paid for both, which moves me a tad closer to that WRX (see Getting to Know You Q thread!) I also am working at home and spending some time with the kids on their summer vacation while their Mum is out working, so as you can imagine it gets busy!

I'll be back for gaming and forum stuff in September, when I go back to 'work', and my load gets lighter! ;)

Bravus

Edit: Oh, and just for fun and to take a break, I'm helping the Czech translator of William Gibson's novel 'All Tomorrow's Parties' with his translation. I know no Czech, but am explaining English concepts and allusions more richly for him so that he can figure out how to convey them in Czech. It's lots of fun!

theBlackman
15th Aug 2002, 16:34
Having gone through a similar situation in a more archaic time and place, I am not certain whether to send congratulations or condolences on your newly appointed responsiblilites.

Drop in when you can. Glad you enjoyed the little romp through LM's Thievery site last night.

Nightwalker
15th Aug 2002, 17:42
Wow! You really know how to fill up your holiday time, don't you! It sounds like you're having a great time with it, though, so I'll say "Congratulations". You don't get chosen to do things like that unless you deserve it. :)

Huntress
15th Aug 2002, 18:47
You did take on a load full didn't you...! Did you say you were an "A" type LOL Just be careful friend...don't want to lose you at an early age...know what I mean? So you watch yourself and do get that much needed rest time. All is forgiven for not being "around" much but RL is much more important for sure :) I'm sure that your report will be well done and contribute much to the benefit of all when finalized and reviewed. I certainly commend your efforts in trying to help make things better for everyone! So go get'm tiger and keep us informed as to what comes about. Thanks for sharing and Good Hunting! :)

Sneak
16th Aug 2002, 02:24
Bravus,
Looks like you have a full plate there. Come in here and even play Thievery when ya can. I sure have my ins and outs online at times!

Nice seeing you in the game last night! :)

Fafhrd
17th Aug 2002, 02:47
bravus: so you're a physicst then? Its good to not be the only one :)

bravus
17th Aug 2002, 04:32
I'd probably claim to be more of a physics educator than a 'real' physicist: it was my minor, so I took up to second year university courses. Chemistry was my major, but physics teachers are in such short supply that I've done a lot more physics teaching than chemistry teaching. So I feel very comfortable with physics, and tend to read the pop-science books on quantum and relativity and so on. I'm also very interested in philosophy of science, and a lot of that draws on the history of physics.

What's your thing-you-like-to-do-with-physics?

Bravus

theBlackman
17th Aug 2002, 09:35
Originally posted by bravus
What's your thing-you-like-to-do-with-physics?

Bravus

Applications of hydrophysics: Volume displacement and bouyancy. Hydraulics IE, suction height, lb per foot cubed movement and like that there.

Holdover from my Fire service and underwater salvage days. :D Quantam physics is a little (hell why lie- way above me ) :D

amievil?
17th Aug 2002, 23:47
Originally posted by theBlackman

Applications of hydrophysics: Volume displacement and bouyancy. Hydraulics IE, suction height, lb per foot cubed movement and like that there.

Holdover from my Fire service and underwater salvage days. :D Quantam physics is a little (hell why lie- way above me ) :D

sometimes i wonder just how wise you really are :)

bravus, just teach them all about thief and they'll be fine :D

theBlackman
18th Aug 2002, 02:01
Originally posted by amievil?
sometimes i wonder just how wise you really are :)

OK smiley. I'm confused :confused: Mind providing a simple explaination my feeble intellect can comprehend? :D

bravus
18th Aug 2002, 02:31
tBM: I would have thought eschewing the mind-twisting reaches of quantum mechanics was a sign of wisdom!

I have to admit that I stay away from the micro (fluid dynamics etc) parts of hydrodynamics that require lots of calculus, but have some sense of the macro properties of fluids and how they'd be applied in some of those fields...

Remember, Physics is Phun! ;) :p

Bravus

theBlackman
18th Aug 2002, 02:56
Originally posted by bravus
tBM: I would have thought eschewing the mind-twisting reaches of quantum mechanics was a sign of wisdom!

I have to admit that I stay away from the micro (fluid dynamics etc) parts of hydrodynamics that require lots of calculus, but have some sense of the macro properties of fluids and how they'd be applied in some of those fields...

Remember, Physics is Phun! ;) :p

Bravus

I agree Physics is Phun. But for some reason I can do well with empiricals and rule of thumb applied to real situations, and preforce, can handle some of the math for problems that need more finite answers. But never really was worth a tinkers dam with math as a higher language.

My rudimentary Algebra and complete ignorance of Calculus would shame me if I attempted to compete with a four year old. :D

bravus
18th Aug 2002, 03:28
LOL - yeah, 'cos those four year olds man, they really kick it with that calculus! ;)

I actually taught a subject to Grade 11 students called Introductory Calculus, which scared the hell out of me when I was asked to do it because I was pretty much a mathophobe (only courses I ever failed at college were math - but that was also because I was majoring in girls those semesters!) But after teaching it for two years I really, really enjoyed it. That was 3 years ago now, and it'd take me a while to get back into it, but I was kinda like that with physics too: teaching it to someone else is how you get a deep understanding of stuff yourself, I find.

Bravus

Fafhrd
20th Aug 2002, 14:12
yep, teaching is definitely the best way to go... I sort of wish I had been TAing physics instead of astronomy just to work on my background a bit...

I'm astrophysics, all the way. I just got done with the course in quantum last year, pulled a B both semesters, but I wouldn't say I understand it :) Now I'm on to the course that all the professors still complain about from grad school - E&M

My thesis is actually the detection of extrasolar planets around white dwarfs, so the past couple months have been hell while I try to calculate if a planet would even survive to that point...

I have to applaud the teaching high school though - I'm not brave enough for that, so I'm going for college-level teaching.

amievil?
20th Aug 2002, 21:52
Originally posted by theBlackman

OK smiley. I'm confused :confused: Mind providing a simple explaination my feeble intellect can comprehend? :D

just paying a compliment to your intelligence. no sarcasm in my post :)

theBlackman
20th Aug 2002, 22:29
Originally posted by amievil?

just paying a compliment to your intelligence. no sarcasm in my post :)

No insult taken. I just did not want to whip an off the cuff answer that might accidentally offend you.

And thanks for the compliment. :D