PDA

View Full Version : Cutscenes do not play on Windows XP

bulldog
15th Aug 2002, 16:18
Hello,

You might remember me from my previous post "teaching an old dog.." (thanks for all the help, by the way). Well, since then my old computer finally gave up the ghost - hard drive crash- and I'm trying to run Thief TDP on my new computer. The game runs great but it skips the video cut scenes and introduction. Is there a work around that doesn't detract from the game play? My system... Dell Dimension 2 GHz, 256 M RAM, 64 M Video Card (Ti 4200) with Windows XP.

Thanks, Bulldog

DJC
15th Aug 2002, 18:05
You will have to reinstall the codecs every time you play Thief or Thief 2 on Windows XP.
To do this open the CD in Windows Explorer and double click the file iv5play.exe and let them install.

Thorin Oakenshield
15th Aug 2002, 22:57
Do you have any video editing software installed?
If you use that before playing Thief you either do as DJC said or do a restart(This works for most taffers!)

Peter_Smith
16th Aug 2002, 07:17
Arrgh!:( Now I am really glad I passed up the opportunity to upgrade to XP and bought Windows 2000 instead. It's no problem on Win 2K. I know that is no consolation to you, bulldog, but this news may help others wanting to upgrade....

Munin the Raven
17th Aug 2002, 03:21
I've had no difficulties at all running Thief II on Windows XP. I needed compatibility mode for installation (instead of the force command) but other than that it's been trouble-free. However, I installed XP myself on a Dell machine that originally came with Windows ME pre-installed. I'm also running XP Pro, which has many subtle differences over the Home Edition, such as better, more complete control over the system and far fewer compatibility problems.

DJC, have that many other people had to reinstall the codecs everytime they want to see the cutscenes? I'm wondering if it's directly related to what edition of XP they're using.

Vanguard
17th Aug 2002, 04:07
I have to reinstall the Indeo codecs a lot, like maybe after a dozen FMs, and I'm on Windows 2000. Eventually an FM will screw up Thief, but I don't know if it is the FM's fault, Darkloader, or Thief itself tripping over its own untied shoelaces. Instead of bothering with getting it from the CD, copy it to your Games folder and add a shortcut to run it. Rather than use the version that is on the Thief CD, I downloaded the latest package from www.ligos.com.

DJC
17th Aug 2002, 08:25
Munin, most people do have to reinstall the codecs everytime on Windows XP, but not all. I have to on one of my machines, but not the other.
It <i>appears</i> to be *fairly* random as to which configs it will not require reinstalling on, however one thing is certain there are more machines that they need reinstalling on than ones that don't.

Munin the Raven
18th Aug 2002, 00:33
Ahhh, I guess it's just another one of those "issues" then. Thanks for the information.

bulldog
19th Aug 2002, 13:40
Thanks for all your help. It was both accurate and very fast (I posted the question in the morning and had an answer before the afternoon). I did as DJC recommended and Thief has run fine ever since. It's great to see a gaming community support a product so well.

By the way, for those interested, I found a website that has helped me with Windows compatability issues on other games.

http://www.ntcompatible.com/

-Thanks again, Bulldog