PDA

View Full Version : Thievery Server

LeatherMan
15th Aug 2002, 00:55
<div align="center">(}{{}THIEF{}}{) is up again!</div>

We need some more players!

RicknMel
15th Aug 2002, 01:30
I finally have UT now...but I'm having too much fun playing the game itself. Hopefully I'll finish it soon, then move on to Thievery.
:)

If I add the Thievery patch....can I still play regular UT on my hard drive just like I can now?

BrokenArts
15th Aug 2002, 01:36
OOOHHH OHHHHH!!! ME.........ME........

Vesper
15th Aug 2002, 01:40
Yeah Rick,

You'll still be able to play UT by itself......and you'll even be able to join in on LeatherMan's other server Lord Bafford and have a fragging good time.

I was at Lord Bafford's last night at 2 in the morn fragging bots all by my lonesome.....but having fun. LM added a time relic(speeds you up) and somekind of heath thingy(not sure how it works but I kept gaining health and it makes neat sounds) and a new map that I noticed.

Vesper

Stile451
15th Aug 2002, 01:40
Yes Rick, you can.

I may not make it tonight, possibly have a virus, doing a couple of scans.

bravus
15th Aug 2002, 04:13
I said I'd only drop in for half an hour, but ended up staying for nearly an hour, 'cos I was having so myuch fun. Means I'll be working until 12 instead of 11:30 tonight, probably, but what the hey! I must drop back in to Lord Bafford's some night when there's someone there: at least in there I *know* I can do fairly well!

Frag ya later,

Bravus

LeatherMan
15th Aug 2002, 04:56
Was fun, but all are gone now (server will be up until early AM).

Important note: I will be out of town Saturday thru Tuesday (08-17 to 08-20). That means nobody to administer the server! :eek: Never fear, though. I will start the server before I leave Saturday and (as long as it doesn't crash) it will remain up until I return on Tuesday! :cool:

See everyone Friday I hope!

Huntress
15th Aug 2002, 07:11
in over the weekend...but hey...Thievery will be up and running so who needs ya anyway? LOL Yea, we'll miss your cunning ways but maybe some of us will even get to win since you won't be there to foil us up? :D :p

The good news is that LM said he got a patch for his Linux and I actually played tonight without crashing once!!! No desktops, no freezes...everything worked fine :) so it would seem as though my crashes were somehow related to this for the most part? I dunno but if all goes well as did this evening...won't have to worry bout no admin around, heh heh...

That's funny RnM...took a month of Sundays to get you to get UT and now you can't leave it to join us for Thievery!!! The nerve of this guy...I tell ya... :rolleyes: RicknMel (mainly Rick...) get your patch installed and get on-line Friday with us...that's an order! :p ;) Ta and Good Hunting!

BrokenArts
15th Aug 2002, 14:20
Well, I must say, the adrenaline rush stayed with me long after playing with you all! HAHA! What fun! You all are a great group to play with. I had a crappy time sleeping after that. ;) :rolleyes:

For my first real time playing, I didn't do too bad. Playing a guard for the first time, man I wanted to steal! LOL!
That last level was a bit confusing to me, sorry Kid Garrett. Made it up there twice, and running around like a chicken with my head cut off, I couldn't find where to go!
Until next time everyone. :)

RicknMel
15th Aug 2002, 15:54
Originally posted by Huntress

That's funny RnM...took a month of Sundays to get you to get UT and now you can't leave it to join us for Thievery!!! The nerve of this guy...I tell ya... :rolleyes: RicknMel (mainly Rick...) get your patch installed and get on-line Friday with us...that's an order! :p ;) Ta and Good Hunting!

LOL, but when I say I'm having a ball playing UT....I'm talking 15 minutes here and there. I haven't had alot of gaming time lately, and when I do, it seems like it's small divided chunks of time.
(Flash games are good for times like this) (Thanks again for the link tBM) ;)

Thievery games are timed right? Like 30 minutes or something?
I would hate to be in and have to quit after 10 minutes because something comes up. I guess it depends on what time of day you taffers play too...... Mel is busy as well...and with sharing the same PC, it's kinda hard to stay on it too long at one sitting. Anyone care to ship me a 2 GHz PC with a VideoSmoker2000 so I can have my own PC for Thievery? :p

Lessee......we go to bed by about midnight usually..so if I stayed up I could prolly play from 12 to 1 or 2 AM...but I don't think that would be a good idea. :D

Patience young taffer....I'll be there eventually. :)

Huntress
15th Aug 2002, 18:37
yes the games are timed, however, LM did boost the time to 35 min cause some of these maps are a little more demanding of the Thief to get some of these objectives completed...not to say we all do anyway, but gives a little more opportunity to try for it. :) Also he boosted AI up a tad from "Normal skill" to "Clever" although I really didn't see that much difference between the two? You could still sneak up behind many of the AI Guards for a whack and still got confused at times getting caught in a corner like area together and going around in circles, LOL But then as a Thief...it does aide and abet our attempts to get away with it! :D

So you enjoy your little break-aways RnM and glad you can find a little time to practice your skillz...and maybe join us in UT for a little fraggin fun? I could meet you there if you send me a date and time...and could let vesper/salvage and whoever else could do that as well? See ya and Good Hunting!

Gumdrop
15th Aug 2002, 19:12
Ooh...I'm a buisy Gummie lately, but I'll try to pop in again at the weekend. :)

Huntress
15th Aug 2002, 19:36
wondered what happened to you? Glad to see maybe this weekend we'll get an opportunity to teach you Thieves a thing or two about bothering our friendly folk around town to keep ahold of their valuables, LOL But the on the other hand, I sure hope those guards drift off for a bit while on duty...cause they sure are messin up my loot haul ;) Ha ha ha...Ta and Good Hunting!

Sneak
16th Aug 2002, 02:17
Yeah, was fun as always last night! I will be back for more Tomorrow/Friday.

And just think, while Leatherman is out of town we get to frolic through his server and reek Havoc! ;)

Thanks for that Leatherman. I have server questions too. Tried to use my machine to set one up so BA could get some practice. She could not log in. Just said connecting and ran and ran for her. Do you need a separate machine for a server? I have Windoes 98 which is less than great for a server. Not trying to do one full blown like yours, don't have the hardware. Can it be done for two people?

RicknMel
16th Aug 2002, 02:53
hehe...Got 'er all hooked up tonight! Took a few pc freezes before it dawned on me that my firewall was blocking it from synching up with the general server. DOH! A quick adjustment took care of that. ;)

Spent a while as a rat, and kept dying...
After a while I realized I kept dying, only when another rat was around.....
Then it dawned on me that the little barstid was biting me to death! :D
LOL

This looks like it could be some fun! (and some gettin' used to too!) Can't wait to taff around with the Eidos gang, hopefully sometime soon! :)

Sneak
16th Aug 2002, 03:19
Ha RicknMel,
Yeah, Rat Wars. Have to find a deep dark hiding place and they can find you anyway cuz they can observe you. ;)

Huntress
16th Aug 2002, 03:25
realize rats can bite huh? :D Yea, some of these ppl like to hunt each other for fun while waiting for the current game to finish...however in LM's server...most of us prefer to "cam" watch the others to see how they do or to explore the map to get a better feel for the layouts, etc. There are a few who do want to hunt...but try to let them know if you want to play or not. Only problem is your name as a rat doesn't show up on screen...at least not at this point and not sure if it ever will. But as you have seen, the active players names do to some extent. The new patch will fix the problem with rat killings however, if your on cam and attacked, you can't be killed. If you've been reading the Thievery web site on the proposed, being tested, Ver 1.2 you can get the details of what's planned, etc. :)

So here's hoping we'll be able to join forces Friday nite and Good Hunting! :cool:

Thorin Oakenshield
16th Aug 2002, 18:22
So What time is the server up tonight? (friday)
I can't wait:p
See ya there taffers;)

LeatherMan
16th Aug 2002, 22:58
Originally posted by Sneak
And just think, while Leatherman is out of town we get to frolic through his server and reek Havoc! ;)

Thanks for that Leatherman. :eek: :mad: You're welcome. :)

I have server questions too. Tried to use my machine to set one up so BA could get some practice. She could not log in. Just said connecting and ran and ran for her. Do you need a separate machine for a server? I have Windoes 98 which is less than great for a server. Not trying to do one full blown like yours, don't have the hardware. Can it be done for two people? Ok, server questions. I'll try.

It sounds as if you might be either a client on a LAN, or have a firewall/router installed.

If you are on a LAN, you would need to map ports through your host. Depending on your OS, this could be easy or a nightmare.
If you are behind a firewall, simply allow the program (Thievery.exe) permission to access the internet or open the necessary ports.
If you are behind a broadband router (or cable modem), you may have a lot of trouble, but you would just have to open a few ports.

Start by checking out Practically Networked (http://www.practicallynetworked.com/support/gaming_help.htm) and theAdminPage (http://www.planetunreal.com/theadminpage/) for tips and info.

You do not need a seperate machine, as you can run a listen server (you are playing and others can connect) or a dedicated server (runs in systray and uses minimal resources). The TUT documentation should have the minimum requirements listed somewhere, but if you can play the game on your computer then you are probably fine.

Win98 will work but will probably become unstable or crash after a while which may be a little frustrating. Just don't plan on running a dedicated server 24/7.

And finally, yes, a server can be run for just 2 people. Set the maximum players to 2 or run unadvertised to prevent others from seeing it running.

Question: Was BA able to see the server running in the TUT browser, or was she using "Open Location"?

---------

Thorin, I will start the server now, but will be unavailable to play for a short while. Hopefully others can join you.

RicknMel
17th Aug 2002, 03:49
Haha
That was great! Thanks everyone.

...till next time :)

Oh yeah...
Sorry for lighting our boots on fire Huntress :D :p ;)
Dumb rat anyways
ROTF :D

Sneak
17th Aug 2002, 05:45
Leatherman,
BA was using open location. I set it as unadvertise. Set it for port 80 and then 8888 in the multiplayer game set up but it made no difference. I never tried it as a LAN. Am on AOL and have a SWB DSL line. About 1.2 megs or so down. However technically when I log on to AOL I am on a LAN. Uses a WAN Miniport to connect. I may try that LAN setting. No firewall!

And mapping ports through my host, ha, that went right by me. LOL :)

Stile451
17th Aug 2002, 06:42
Originally posted by RicknMel
Oh yeah...
Sorry for lighting our boots on fire Huntress :D :p ;)
Dumb rat anyways
ROTF :D

I resent that, Rick:p

Man was that ever funny:D

Gumdrop
17th Aug 2002, 09:08
Ahh looks like you guys are having fun. I've decided to stay in tonight so I'll joining the fray later. :)

I hear you on UT Rick. I forgot how much fun a bit of fragging can be and have spent some time lately on the anti-grav' levels playing around with the sniper rifle. I have a self imposed rule that only permits me to frag while in mid air. Lots of fun but quite hard to win a bout. :D

RicknMel
17th Aug 2002, 13:42
Originally posted by Salvage

I resent that, Rick:p

Man was that ever funny:D

ROTF ...were you the rat? :D

Mel was watching me play at the time....
She said "Is that a rat?"
I said "Yeah...you can be a rat and spectate..I think you can kill them"
She said "How?"
I said "Like this!"
POOF.....Huntress and I are all of a sudden on fire!
Mel and I started rolling! OOPS
I was laughing so hard my eyes started watering and I couldn't see!
haha...that was classic! I wish I could been a rat then, and watched me and Hutress running around trying to put ourselves out. :D

LeatherMan
17th Aug 2002, 17:28
The Server is up and will be through Tuesday! As long as nobody crashes it!

I have rearranged the map list a little since I thought having Breakout immediately following Spider was just too much. Seperating them should give you and your systems a short break.

Have fun, just not too much fun. ;) I have given theBlackman (aka Dhu-Glas) admin privileges, so if anyone gets out of hand (or joins uninvited) they can be kicked or banned. I don't think anyone will but I wouldn't want someone ruining the game for you taffers while I am away.

Also, if theBlackman isn't around and someone needs to be kicked any player can call a vote to get them kicked (they can immediately reconnect unless they are banned but they should get the hint). Just open the console (default key is ~)and enter:

callvote kick {player-name} (eg, to kick John***123, enter callvote kick John***123 in console)(name must be exact)

The other players will have 60 seconds to vote (hold V and select vote>yes or no) and needs 60% to pass. Send me an email to report disruptive behavior and I can ban the perpetrator when I return.

See you Tuesday!

LeatherMan

Huntress
17th Aug 2002, 19:15
That server will never be the same :rolleyes: LOL Well at least this way tBm..you'll be there more often...heh heh...now you'll be able to play more since you have to admin us/server :D Myself, I'll probably be there later this afternoon after I do some chores, etc. You can't believe what I went through the last couple of days trying to get some stuff done for my Daughter and Thief/FM's...yea gads!!!! First I got the patch transfered from my disk to one I was burning for her...worked out real neat...I turned on my old brew that's hooked up to my new brew through the port and woola...I was able to use my CD-ROM from the old (as I had included it as a share drive in my newer brew) and transfered the data from it to my CD burner with no sweat! :D I was so tickled it worked and as and bonus...now I don't have to worry about buying another CD-ROM so I can do this sort of thing :)

But then came the nightmare....LOL When I put the blank CD in drive...it formatted without any problem..so then I started transfering some of my FM's on my HDD and additionally spent hours and hours downloading off the Net for those I didn't have on that machine. This servered a two-fold purpose however, because many of my FM's were originally played on the Compaq and no way to get them for my backups...OK...everything going fine till I tell my proggie...finish. It starts to do it's thing...make it into an any readable CD-ROM...and then I get the message...sorry but the area reserved to make this file is damaged! WOT????? Geez, so then I had to copy everything off of it onto my HDD and then get another CD and try again.

Holding my breath, I then hit the finish button again...and this time, thank goodness, it worked. :) So now she has it all...and play Thief and all the FM's that were really good ones, IMHO, with the exception of the three that were excellent I didn't include at this time cause her system wouldn't be able to handle them :(
Hopefully, later on whenever she does upgrade...then I'll do it again and since one of them is over 300 mgs, LOL, it wouldn't have fit on this CD anyway! :D So that was my project over the last couple of days. No wonder I was tired last night and didn't stay real late for Thievery. But I'll see you all later, I hope. Ta and Good Hunting!