PDA

View Full Version : Any English People Here?

Cyber_Punk_303
14th Aug 2002, 22:18
English, as in Engalnd English... Just wondering if you could tell us some of your expressions and if the TR movie was true to British ppl or if it felt like a charicature. How is England? Is London really classy and sophisticated?

Any Lara Crofts there?

And is the British accent still sexy to British ppl? And if not, what do you think of American accents?

Les Effant Terrible
15th Aug 2002, 02:23
Hey, I know there are quite a few British here, but I'm not one of them. I'm an American and I think their accents are quite attracitive. Especially when they are snobby and evil that just makes my day. I love all Europe accents, scratch Dutch and Spanish. They don't do anything for me. I'm around tons of Spanish where I am.

DaveJ
15th Aug 2002, 07:29
By 'British' accent do you mean Scottish, Irish, Welsh or English?

And if you mean 'English' do you mean Cornish, ****ney, Home Counties, Yorkshire, Brummie, Geordie, Mancunian or any other derivation?

And are you American guys really all like we see in the hit TV show "Friends"?
Which are you? Joey? Or are you Chandler? That must be so wacky 24/7!

Angelina got the accent right (its one of the above), and yes we all live in castles; we all have Butlers (mine is French and female, however); there is no class difference as we ate all the peasants centuries ago (as a result the windmills and factories no longer work); the 'snobby and evil' thing we only do to bloody tourists as its a waste of time amongst the rest of us (see 'class difference' above); and we closed London to the public decades ago.
It is only left now as a tourist attraction as the words 'class and sophistication' were found to never have applied to the place.

I was in NY once and this waitress twigged my brother and I were English and asked "Gee, what part of London are you from?"

From mighty Empires do tiny acorns grow, eh?

English expression? Bunch of arse, mate.

AmO
15th Aug 2002, 08:04
you do realize that most us "americans" have ancestors originaly from europe, and many many from england, my own are from england, ireland, and denmark. also people in the united states all have different accents depending on what part of the country they are from, [much like english accents are different depending on what part of england] oh but of course our young people are just like "friends":D just like your old ladies are just like your program called " keeping up appearances" :D

DaveJ
15th Aug 2002, 08:34
But not "Golden Girls", right?
;)

THE True Lara
15th Aug 2002, 09:37
Originally posted by DaveJ
yes we all live in castles; we all have Butlers (mine is French and female, however); there is no class difference as we ate all the peasants centuries ago (as a result the windmills and factories no longer work); the 'snobby and evil' thing we only do to bloody tourists as its a waste of time amongst the rest of us (see 'class difference' above); and we closed London to the public decades ago.
It is only left now as a tourist attraction as the words 'class and sophistication' were found to never have applied to the place.

LOL, LMAO, http://members.lycos.co.uk/rsid/lmao.gif
too .......much .......truth,.......... paralized ........by ..........laughter....

THE True Lara
15th Aug 2002, 09:45
And yes there are Lara Crofts- a Lara Croft, I am she! ;)
....I must dig out that picture of me infront of my mansion with the Bentley......

BlueSkiesXXV
15th Aug 2002, 10:58
I am currently living in London, but originally from a village near Reading (40 miles west of London).
I have also spent a couple of years living in Montreal, Canada (which was interesting).

Ignore DaveJ...Everyone here talks like the Queen.
The thing I like most about the UK is the friendly atmosphere.
Everybody knows absolutely everyone.

If you are an American and see an English tourist remember to ask them if they know your long lost relative/friend/ancestor back in the UK.
There is a 90% chance that they will know them very well.

Blue Donuts!!!

John Carter
15th Aug 2002, 11:30
Ich bin ein Englander.

You are a circular shortbread biscuit smeared with marmite, Dave?

GoranAgar
15th Aug 2002, 11:42
Want to buy some dots, Dave? :D

DaveJ
15th Aug 2002, 13:56
Or as JFK once said, "I am a jelly donut" to the crowds in Berlin.

Xcom
15th Aug 2002, 15:12
and yes we all live in castles; we all have Butlers (mine is French and female, however);

Aren't you forgetting something, Dave?
Yes, yes, 5 o'clock tea. :D

DaveJ
15th Aug 2002, 16:30
Tea and crumpet, dear boy..... tea and crumpet.

LeeO
15th Aug 2002, 18:31
Someone in America asked me where I was from and I said "Wales.... it's in Britain." They replied: "Oooh, is that anywhere near London?"

Another time someone said "You don't have that in London, do you?"

Les Effant Terrible
15th Aug 2002, 18:53
By British accent I meant all of the above and English is all good to me.

And are you American guys really all like we see in the hit TV show "Friends"?

Of course not! Nobody is as stupid as phoebe in Friends. You do know that those are writen scripts right? No nobody is really like all that crap you see on TV. It's like asking if all you English people are like Monty Python.

But no most of the people in our country are fat and lazy and watch football all day, eating pork rhynes and drinking beer all day and showing off all their new SRVs that could mow down a house. I like Europe because there aren't many SRVs or big cars around. They only cause more demand for gas and cause more deaths than they made out to cause. PLus the fact you can never see behind them and they just take up too much space. ANd they were meant for driving in the mountains and crap, but nobody does that. They just want the cars for looks. As you can tell I don't like SRVs.

But anyway I lied. The population is not all fat and lazy people. There are some hippies where I live in Sebastopol. Its also gay country, but hey they are nicer than regualr people and all the guys are hot. Then you have the aliens from Mexico that hang around the corners of the streets waiting for people to pick them up and give them work in the vinyards.
Then there's the yuppies around San Fran. and the hobos. Then there's all those people like me that just want to get away from all the hell and live someplace like France or Ireland. I'm a punk rocker, my dad is a cop near retirement and he's on the Bomb Squad of our county. I get to go to his bomb call-outs and press the disarmer button to blow the thing apart. So now that we're way off topic I'll shut up now.

DaveJ
15th Aug 2002, 21:21
Phoebe gets more real every day to me....

Have to go set light to some money, 'scuse me....

Cyber_Punk_303
15th Aug 2002, 23:25
That's true, most of us in North America are actually decendants from britain!!! Which is wierd, because if we were all british once, why did we lose the accent?

Prelude
16th Aug 2002, 02:55
Cucumber sandwich anyone?

AmO
16th Aug 2002, 06:14
my aunt and i used to make those, also watercress, we lived in Los Angeles California U.S.A.

THE True Lara
16th Aug 2002, 09:02
Tea and crumpet, dear boy..... tea and crumpet.

Ah yes, Tiffin, we all like a bit of crumpet in the afternoon :)

ooh, I need to go make another cup of Earl Grey, and walk the corgies.
ttfn.

DaveJ
16th Aug 2002, 09:15
By jove, this maid I employ is a dab hand with the French Polishing and no mistake!
Top hole!
Tickety boo!

John Carter
16th Aug 2002, 12:22
Originally posted by Cyber_Punk_303
That's true, most of us in North America are actually decendants from britain!!! Which is wierd, because if we were all british once, why did we lose the accent?

Actually, those of us with primarily WASP heritage make up slightly less than 50% of the current US population.

Some haven't entirely lost the "british" accent, but it isn't what you think it is. "British" includes the english landed-gentry types you're thinking of, but also includes the border people types such as Anglo-Scots and Scots-Irish (that's why you still find so many Presbetyrians in "hillbilly" country, and the Episcopalian "Church of England" types near the Eastern Seaboard )

http://xroads.virginia.edu/~UG97/albion/albion3.html

When thinking of groups of people, either the British specifically or anybody else, it is instructive to read the first sentence in the page linked to above, "Regionalism is not unique to America".

You'll find entirely different but equally "British" cultural makeup in Canada, another in the US Northeast, and so on.

AmO
17th Aug 2002, 02:31
thanks for the link John Carter, it is intresting and informative, and will take me awhile to read all the links to the links, very good read, thanks again.:D really love the music link, the food one was good too. good stuff !!