PDA

View Full Version : Walls missing?????

tiggifish87
13th Aug 2002, 21:51
Hey this looks like a nice forum. This is my first post and I am new to Startopia. So new in fact that I don't have the game yet (will be buying ASAP). But I do have the demo and I have a problam with the walls. The game plays fine except for the fact that whenever I play the walls aren't visible ( just empty black space, except for the flag on the far end). Does anyone know how I can fix this as I really want to get the most out of Startopia when I buy it!! Could it just be a fault with the demo version???

Any solutions would be gr8. Thanx in advance.

My spec:Windows XP, 512MB DDR RAM, Hercules Radeon8500LE(64MB):D

tiggifish87
13th Aug 2002, 22:35
Ok now I'm really concerned!!

I've just discovered that all buildings are not visible too. The crates also just disappear into thin air.

HEEEEELLLLLLPPPPPP MMMMEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm starting to think that I'll never be able to play Startopia!!!

(enter violin) SAAAAAVVEE MEEEEEEEEEEEE:eek:

SkrasherSmasher
13th Aug 2002, 23:43
Woah, sounds serious. Try buying thw whole game, that might solve your problems.:) But I suggest you find the REAL problem first..

Ghyron
14th Aug 2002, 01:00
If your lucky Tom F. will make his tech support round and help you out. Just be patient and enjoy the nice forum color scheme.

tiggifish87
14th Aug 2002, 10:23
I'll buy the whole game despite my problems with the demo. I'd rather take my chances than miss out on Startopia.

Thanx alot, I'll see what happens.

PS. It is a nice colour scheme:D

tiggifish87
14th Aug 2002, 10:29
B4 I forget could someone here tell me if the patch might sort out my problem (once I've bought the game). In other words does the patch deal with technical issues as well as gameplay improvements.

Ghyron
14th Aug 2002, 14:30
There is a good chance that either patch 1.01 or 1.01b will solve your problems. If the patch/full game doesnt solve your problems, try updating the drivers on your video cards.

http://www.muckyfoot.com/startopia/faqtech1.html

tiggifish87
14th Aug 2002, 16:31
Thanx for the advice but it is no longer needed. I bought the game and it worked once I changed Transform and Lighting to software (something which didn't work on the demo version).

So it looks like I will be playing Startopia till the day I die after all.

Thanx 4 all the help. :D :D :D

Mucky Foot
15th Aug 2002, 08:03
That's disappointing. We have seen problems like this before on some Radeon cards, but we could never track it down to anything specific (I have various types of a Radeon at home and in both my work machines, so it's not like we didn't test them!).

I definately recommend getting and installing the latest driver from www.ati.com if you haven't already - that usually fixes a lot of things.

You seem to have found a solution that works well enough, though using software T&L will make the game go a bit slower than it could do. Could you possibly find a file called "your gfxcard.txt" (usually in your StarTopia directory) and send it to webmaster@muckyfoot.com with a reference to this discussion? Then we can check out this config and see if there's anything suspicious about it, or any way we can work around it from our end.

Thanks. Enjoy the game.

TomF - Muckyfoot coder.

Startopiafrance
15th Aug 2002, 12:47
Mucky Foot

hehe...

Pinky the Cow
15th Aug 2002, 14:52
Originally posted by tiggifish87
So it looks like I will be playing Startopia till the day I die after all.

Thanx 4 all the help. :D :D :D Don't die unless you've already visited this thread and voted.

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=41998#post41998

Please keep in mind that you're absolutely free to choose the game which you like more than others ;) .

Binro_the_Heretic
15th Aug 2002, 14:55
A friend recently got a new vidoe card and let me have his old GeForce 2.

Since the installation, I'm getting weird problems on the biodeck. Plants become oddly stretched and sometimes a massive striped square appears slicing through the entire station.

I'm also getting crashes to the desktop.

I had already installed the latest Startopia patch and have the most recent driver for the card (updated last night, in fact) and the problems still continue.

Should I try reinstalling the game?

Ghyron
15th Aug 2002, 17:04
Re-installing the game would be a good idea after you change the video card.

SkrasherSmasher
15th Aug 2002, 22:11
Might want to defrag your computer too, but thats only if reinstalling/patching doesn't work.

Hey, whenever anything on my computer doesn't work I reinstall it then defrag, if that doesn't work I ask around, it's just what I do.:D

tiggifish87
16th Aug 2002, 12:27
I'm always nagging people for solutions to any probs with my PC. Its the best way of finding out how to solve a problem!

Everyone should just "ask around".

Ghyron
16th Aug 2002, 16:52
Building your own computer is the best way to learn how they work.

tiggifish87
16th Aug 2002, 21:44
GOOD POINT GHYRON. NUFF SAID

kool_kats_rule
17th Aug 2002, 17:14
Yes, but then you can't call tech support and complain.

Ghyron
17th Aug 2002, 19:33
Yes, but when you build your own computer, you won't ever have to call tech support, maily because it will hardly ever break, and you will know how to fix it yourself.

As for being unable to complain... you can still call tech support, even if you don't have their product. :D

DMA57361
17th Aug 2002, 20:35
Originally posted by Ghyron
Yes, but when you build your own computer, you won't ever have to call tech support, maily because it will hardly ever break, and you will know how to fix it yourself.

What? Explain mine, it breaks quite often . . . ;) Although I (normally) can fix it, that's not the point. Where do you learn to make non-breaking computers?

mumble, anoying evil computer making people, mumble

Mucky Foot
18th Aug 2002, 11:15
Binro - first two things to try are disabling Impostors, and then switching to a software transformm & lighting (T&L) device.

TomF - Muckyfoot coder.

NZrevenge
18th Aug 2002, 13:39
Oi! You! Get back here!

What the heck are Imposters? I've never been able to figure it out...

DMA57361
18th Aug 2002, 16:40
I *think* I remember this.

When the camera is still it takes a pic of it (or something) and turns all the objects that are stationary (sleeping pods, crates, that broken scuzzer, etc) into sprites to boost frame rate. Damn good idea. It re-renders as soon as you move the cam.

I'm sure it's something vaguely like that, but only because I read it somewhere on the old forum I think.

Don't know the details but it's SOMETHING like that.

Ghyron
18th Aug 2002, 22:12
They are also the sprites that take the place of peeps when they enter the Sleeping pods.

Mucky Foot
26th Aug 2002, 09:50
DMA57361: That's pretty much spot on. Sadly, some graphics cards get very confused by the whole concept, so it's the first thing to try disabling if you're having problems.

More than you ever wanted to know about Impostors (http://www.muckyfoot.com/downloads/tomsimposters.html)

TomF - Muckyfoot coder.

DMA57361
26th Aug 2002, 12:35
I knew I'd read about them somewhere. :D

It's this quote that I find interesting:

The problem is that, as far as I know, no game has ever used impostors (or the render-to-texture technology they use) before. So StarTopia is the first to use this bit of DirectX in a full game.

I don't know of any games that use this. Do any others use them? I've never seen them in the options of other games.

Maybe its a thing only Startopia has bothered to use? That would be impressive. :)

So, anyone know of any others?

SkrasherSmasher
27th Aug 2002, 02:19
Originally posted by Ghyron
As for being unable to complain... you can still call tech support, even if you don't have their product. :D

Ha! That's only #3 on my list of 'Ways You Can Annoy the Crap Out of Low Pay Workers!' ( HAd to change it from minimum wage because many jobs listed don't pay minimum wage.)

#2 Though was 'Order something from a drive-through that is made by a competitor. (Go to Burger King and ask for a Mc Salad Shaker. Pisses/Annoys the crap out of them. Belive me, I've tried.)

Anywho, i can only ask if you have direct X 8. If not, that could be your problem. reading your posts I can gather that your not generally stupid, so I figure this isn't the reason, I just wanted to check a possibility.:D

Mucky Foot
27th Aug 2002, 06:32
DMA57361: There's a flight sim that does some really pretty clouds with impostors, but I don't know any others that use them.

TomF - Muckyfoot coder.

DMA57361
27th Aug 2002, 12:49
oooOOOooo pretty clouds . . .

*ahem*

So Startopia is one of very few games to use this method? Cool. :)

jec96
28th Aug 2002, 01:59
Okay, since we are on the FNG topic (of which I am one) could someone tell me what the heck the giant bug/alien/mayhem machine invaded my sections in the Gem slugs misson? I mean I had beaten all but one opponent, opened a new section to add a starport, and suddenly I have these skretcher things rampaging thru my area! And they do not die easily, as I am sure all of you know. Are they common? and is their a easy way to eliminate them?

Ghyron
28th Aug 2002, 02:39
What you saw was a Skrasher. Skrashers are created when a memau consumes a certain amount of food, and then implants its egg in an unwilling host. This egg then mutates and bursts out of the aliens chest as a Skrasher. You can combat Skrashers by installing Z-ray machines and Medi-beds in your sickbays.

DMA57361
28th Aug 2002, 09:58
and suddenly I have these skretcher things rampaging thru my area!

As in more than one of them?

Did you accept a medical emergancy sounding like this:

SOS. We are a Nostro class Lifeboat - we have infected crew aboard. We wish to dock for medical assistance. The company is willing to pay an additional 1000e for each crewmember saved.

If so, all those people would be infected with the Alien Spawn illness. Only accept this emergancy if
a) You fancy a laugh.
b) You are VERY prepared.

jec96
28th Aug 2002, 10:56
Funny, I had looked at the lifeboat message and thought Nostro...Nostromo...Aliens movie..nah, couldn't be...anyway, thanks for the tips. I had not gotten around to research and/or buying medi-beds and z-ray scanners, but I will certainly make buying or researching them a priority!

kool_kats_rule
29th Aug 2002, 13:52
Oooh aliens. The ones coming out of stomachs are just so cute.:D
Though the cat in the first alien film is cuter...

Hand-E-Food
20th Sep 2002, 03:42
The other things imposters are are the fuzzy blotches on the horizon. If there was 100 crates visible 2 segments away, it wouldn't render every one of the crates because it would take too long for the whole 3 pixels you're going to see of it. So they just put a fuzzy blotch there to signify that there's something there. I'm not sure if that is strictly true in StarTopia, but I've noticed it in other sprite based and rendered sims.