PDA

View Full Version : Getting to Know You: Part Q

Munin the Raven
13th Aug 2002, 00:48
I couldn't think of a better title for this topic so I named it in the tradition of a series of threads started by Clayman back at the old forum. This topic was never covered in that format, but it was covered many, many months back. Since it was so long ago and the membership has changed considerably since then I thought it'd be interesting to bring up the topic again. Besides, I can never remember everyone’s answers to these questions anyway.:p

<b>Question:</b> <i>what type of personal vehicle do you drive?</i>

I drive a 1993 Subaru Impreza L sedan with AWD and a five-speed manual overdrive transmission. I just broke 122,000 miles today (it was bought used with 40,000 miles).

I really like Subarus because they grip the road (rain or a couple of inches of snow is no problem, even in just all-season tires), they're incredibly easy to work on, and they require very little in the way of repairs aside from basic maintenance. Mine was just serviced a thousand miles ago. It's still on the original clutch, which has about 20% left even though it's seen much abusive driving, and the brakes, CV joints, radiator and all hoses, engine, and exhaust are still in great shape (the coolant was original :D). Apparently, the rear-end differential oil was the original stuff!:eek: The original battery lasted for almost nine years. No electrical or hardware problems at all. The only nuisance was a loose heatshield that started acting up around 118,000 miles, but that's common with almost every car and was nothing a few sheet metal screws couldn't fix.

It gets about 27-28 miles per gallon right now on regular with lots of 90+mph highway driving. That's a little less than the consistent 29-30mpg it used to get, but more because of higher driving speeds than wear and tear. The newer Imprezas get closer to 25-26mpg, the major reason being a beefier engine, although the speedometer has been scaled back 20mph on newer models so I think I'll stick with mine.:D I do like the new WRX trim though. The one I have could use a little more kick for passing or going uphill in overdrive, and it's nothing impressive to look at. The WRX would solve both of those problems (not to mention having the more rugged suspension and sportier brakes).

Apache
13th Aug 2002, 01:06
Question: what type of personal vehicle do you drive?

A 1993 Ford Festiva , tiny little white 2 door car that they stopped making in 1993. Runs great ..leaks nothing...gets 40 MPG and the best part of the whole deal is I only paid $30 for the car. Thats right $30, I didn't miss a zero..I've had it over a yr now and replaced the starter and alternator belt. Not to bad if you ask me..
=)
But when my wife isn't looking I steal her 1993 Ford Probe w/ hideaway headlights ( i think those are cool). Sporty car and has surprisingly great pick-up..:D

bravus
13th Aug 2002, 01:10
I should mention that I definitely lust after Imprezas, particularly WRXs, but won't be able to afford one for a while. We had a very nice vehicle called a Mitsubishi Magna in Australia, V6, about the size of a Toyota Camry, and very nice to drive, and cool looking (IMO). Unfortunately it was leased as part of my job, so when I left I had to give it up.

When we got to Canada we were pretty broke (won't be for long, 'cos people keep offering me extra work and money - tired yes, broke no!), so we bought a 1986 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight sedan. It's done about 250,000 km, and because Sue is an insurance agent to farmers and self-eployed people she's put about an extra 25,000 km on it just in the few months we've had it, but it's rock solid and reliable, and very luxurious! It has leather seats and power mirrors, windows and seats, and a power sunroof, and automatically turns the headlights on and off and adjusts the position of the rear view mirror automatically if the person behind you has their lights on high beam! It'll do us for the time being.

Sue will probably end up picking up a RAV 4 or similar small SUV for her work driving, because she'll be out on the roads in Alberta winters with lots of snow, and I'll keep the old one for the very small amount of driving I do (I take the bus to work most days). But that's in a few months, when all the money comes in!

Bravus

Munin the Raven
13th Aug 2002, 01:22
Apache, those Probes do have surprisingly good pickup (I know because one woman driving a purple one occasionally blows by me on an uphill going to work), and I like the driving position and feel of the seat. I like to think of them as the practical and affordable version of the Corvette.:D

Bravus, the RAV 4 is a really space-age looking car that I find really enjoyable yet simple to drive. It's also Toyota, which for the market it aims for tends to have some of the best AC and quietest rides, not to mention being at the top when it comes to reliability. Competition is getting tough in that class of vehicles though, so you'll probably want to look around.

That Ninety Eight must have been top-notch for it's time.;)

RicknMel
13th Aug 2002, 02:00
96 GMC Yukon 4WD 4DR for me (lease expires in 2 months) I love the truck, but don't think I'm going to buy it when the lease expires. I changed jobs about a year ago and I only drive about a quarter or half a mile to work so it's seems a bit much IMO.

Mel drives a 96 Olds Cutlass Supreme

I still have my old 84 Mustang 5.0 5SP Convertible for the sunny days

And many of you know about my 67 Buick Skylark project car taking up space in my garage while I go broke paying for the Yukon lease! ;) :D

LeatherMan
13th Aug 2002, 02:09
Question: what type of personal vehicle do you drive? I drive a '93 Nissan NX2000 with T-Tops and 5-speed tranny. The engine runs strong all the way to the 7500rpm redline and recently passed 140,000 miles. I love driving this car, especially with the Eibach lowering springs, KYB AGX adjustable shocks, new wheels and tires. It has gotten me to work in 6 inches of snow and in 2 years has only had a dead battery.

My wife (Z-Girl) drives a '90 Nissan 300ZX coupe, Pearl White with T-Tops and 5-speed tranny (and she loves 5-speeds!). She has had the car for just a few months now since turning in the '99 Maxima we were leasing. It has almost 140,000 miles on it and several co-workers thought it was brand new! We sold her '85 300ZX to get the Maxima and she missed it so much she had to have another Z. I get to drive it on the weekends. :D

Definitely a Nissan family here, but the Subaru WRX is one of only a few cars that could pull me away from Nissan. So if you get one Bravus I will be jealous!

clayman
13th Aug 2002, 02:47
I drive a silver 2002 Pontiac Bonneville SSei with blacked out windows...pimp car. The wife has a 2000 Mazda Tribute 4WD. And I am saving up(next spring) for a Suzuki Intruder Volusia 800 or Yamaha V-Star 650.......But I'd just as soon have a restored 1970 Mustang Mach I, with the big V-8 automatic, in some sort of catchy color, yellow/black vinyl interior etc with black racing stripe..... ;) :D

ChowYunFat
13th Aug 2002, 03:01
I love my 2000 Toyota Echo (white) which I bought new a couple years ago on carsdirect.com. It gets great gas mileage (44 mpg on the NYS Thruway when I went upstate last year--with the a/c on much of the way) & has a goodly amount of interior room for a subcompact car. In particular, the headroom is great & I can sit completely upright & not come close to having my head touch the ceiling. When I sit in my friend's Camry, I have to hunch over.

I was looking to buy a new car a couple years ago & saw the Echo in a magazine (it was the first year it was available in the USA) & knew I had to own one. I just loved the look as well as the gas mileage & the Toyota reliability. I've been delighted with the car since I bought it. I haven't had a problem with it yet (knock wood) other than people backing into it in the parking lot.

theBlackman
13th Aug 2002, 03:10
In order of use:

1984 Toyota Camry 235,000 miles and climbing. 27 to 32 MPG at roadspeeds of 65-80. Cost of operation in last 5 yrs excluding gas, tires, and oil, 200.00 per year. New tranny, new drive axles, new exhaust system, new paint job. PAID IN FULL:p

1994 Lexus GS300 PAID IN FULL:p

1973 Chevrolet one ton, 350, 5 speed w/PTO, dual rear tires. Gas hog. But runs well and hauls anything I can hook it to, or get on her back. Earning money and PAID IN FULL :p

Xcom
13th Aug 2002, 04:43
I drive...eeeh...bicycle. :D

Peter_Smith
13th Aug 2002, 07:22
2001 Nissan Maxima. A replacement for my 1981 Mazda RX-7, which I just sold. The Maxima runs circles around the RX-7, both in terms of acceleration and handling. It is quite a good car, I think. :)

SlyFoxx
13th Aug 2002, 12:32
1999 Jeep Cherokee. 4.0L V6. 5 speed manual. Nuthin' fancy but I do have A/C....cassette deck and power side mirrors. I bought it off the lot in September of 1999 and got a good deal. It laughs at snow. Will be paid for in about a year. I love my Jeep.

Zaccheus
13th Aug 2002, 12:32
How I get to work:
A great big massive Diesel, eight wheels per compartment, no idea how heavy it is.
Although I never get to drive it, because only the train driver has a licence.

RiCh
13th Aug 2002, 14:29
MG-F (http://www.mg-sportcars.co.uk/MGF%20Sp3.jpg) I love it...what I don’t love is the British weather :( but every chance I get I have the roof down. I’m selling next year, not sure what I’ll have instead? I know what I want, but what’ll I’ll end up with is another thing :D

bravus
13th Aug 2002, 15:08
Yeah, in summer in Edmonton I look at convertibles and say 'hmmm, yum' (likewise motorcycles). Then I remember 5 months of winter with lots of days 20 below zero (Celsius - or about -4 F), and think again!

Bravus

ChangelingJane
13th Aug 2002, 15:16
Public transportation, baby!

Sneak
13th Aug 2002, 17:54
1995 Ford F-150 XLT Supercab! Has been the best vehicle I have owed as far as the thing running without repairs needed. Until recently. Is at that age guess. And all of a sudden the thing is starting to dollar me to death so I am shopping. Not sure I like the new Fords. My eye level is right at the bottom of the visor which is terrible. Not much better with the power seats which will lower my viewing level slightly. They really messed up on the design there. And they don't look like trucks to me unless ya get the Supercrew which is nice. ;) Maybe an F-250!

Previous Vehicles: Pontiac Firebird Formulas with T Tops, were fun but the second one I had was a Lemon and a mess getting the thing settled.

May have a look at GM's.

Whatever I buy I want it mostly loaded. Not sure about leather though, I love leather but I use the truck for work also and I can get sweaty in the hot Texas heat and am in and out of the truck. Anyone have any thoughts on sweat and vehicle leather. Ha! ;)

theBlackman
13th Aug 2002, 18:01
Cold as hell, especially in winter, slick, sweaty and sticky summer and winter after your butt and back warms it up. Requires excessive maintenance to prevent soiling and cracking.

Love the look and smell of leather. Hate the upkeep and discomfort.

littlek
13th Aug 2002, 18:18
2002 white Chevy pickup, 3/4 ton, crew cab, duramax diesel. Love it, pulls great. But I don't drive it to work that much. I ride an e-bike (electric bike) to work when the weather is good.

Previous vehicle: '97 dodge diesel dually. Loved it but cummins diesel is noisy. I could never use the drive through at McDonalds.

Hubby drives a Harley Davidson V rod to work.

Darkh2o
13th Aug 2002, 20:30
'93 Pontiac Grand Am currently with 67K miles. Got it dirt cheap in 1995 (actually free) when I totalled my '90 Mazda pickup. Apparently when a gravel truck runs a stop sign in front of you and you T-bone them doing 55 mph, you get a free car!:D Bumps and bruises and that's it. All I can say is...Wear your seat belts! They save lives, I'm proof of that!;);)

Danventry
13th Aug 2002, 21:55
lol Dark! Well, as I'm only 14, I don't drive. But my dad owns a 1959 Studebaker Lark that I would like to won someday (I just have to fight my other 3 siblings for it).

ChristineS
13th Aug 2002, 22:45
Opel Corsa....but don't ask for technical details, I can only say it's red :D

Fafhrd
13th Aug 2002, 22:52
mmmm... opel... my stepdad used to have some model of opel...

anyway:
today: 87 buick century, 112000 miles on it. 6 cyl, and I'm the 2nd owner on it :) (about half the miles are mine)

in 2 days: 02 hyundai elantra, manual trans. nothing exciting about it except that its NEW, and this'll be the first new car anyone in my family will have owned in nearly 30 years...
and its black, oooh yeah. (and I got it for $400 UNDER invoice too - helps to have A. stepdad working in the car business, and B. a desire for a car noone wants - ie stick shift...)

LeatherMan
13th Aug 2002, 23:32
Originally posted by Sneak
Anyone have any thoughts on sweat and vehicle leather. Ha! ;) Maybe ...

Originally posted by theBlackman
Cold as hell, especially in winter, slick, sweaty and sticky summer and winter after your butt and back warms it up. Requires excessive maintenance to prevent soiling and cracking. Love the look and smell of leather. Hate the upkeep and discomfort. Not so! Well, at least it's not that bad. It requires a little more maintenance than cloth, but will last much longer than cloth if maintained properly. It's also much better at repelling liquids and stains.

LeatherMan ;)

Grey Mouser
13th Aug 2002, 23:50
Currently owned vehicles:

The main ride:

1986 Maxda B2200 pickup
With or without camper shell. Going on 210,000 miles now, I am the second owner...a dependable and tough little truck, but it is probably time to think about a newer ride, or rebuilding the motor.

The others:

1985 Mazda RX-7
Jury is still out on this one, I sort of "ineherited it" when a friend moved to New York. Thinking about keeping it a while as a replacement for my beloved but no longer owned '71 Datsun 240Z (now that was a heck of a car!!)

Rotary engine is an odd beast though...they burn oil by design...Peter, your experience with your RX-7-care-and-feeding-of if you care to share it, would be most appreciated.

1986 Honda Rebal 250cc
Languishes by itself in the corner until I take the California Motorcycle safety course. I sit on it weekly and make vroom-vroom noises for RicknMel's laughter-therepy sessions. ;)

Munin the Raven
14th Aug 2002, 01:14
Wow, a lot of Nissan fans here! I love Nissans! Those Maximas pack some serious punch, and the remodeled Altima can now come with a V6 too. The SER Sentra is also back and is available with a six-speed (perhaps to put some competition on the revived Civic SI?). And now they've brought back the Z! Has anyone seen one on the road or up close yet?

I'm a big fan of stick shifts too. There's been some revised interest in manual transmissions lately, as a lot of cars are starting to offer the option that never have before (the latest I've heard or read about in this category being the Chrysler Seabring). While automatic transmissions have advanced to the point that the differences in fuel economy and acceleration between automatics and manuals is almost trivial, and many automatics have features like forced shifting and manual override (making the control differences fewer), the difference in maintenance between the two types is still considerable. A manual transmission has fewer parts and doesn't need cooling or computer controls, meaning there are fewer possible complications (like coolant leaking into your transmission) and repairs are cheaper (that is, if you don't ride the clutch or peel out at every intersection:p). There are also the newer 4-matics, which at a first glance look just like a "four-on-the-floor" except there's no clutch. I'm not sure exactly how they work, but my guess is that they have an "automatic clutch". I'm interested in trying one for kicks, but nothing beats that smell of clutch in the morning.:D

Believe it or not, people have stolen cars and had to abandon them because they didn't know how to drive stick. A quick, stealthy getaway simply isn't going to happen in first gear.:p
<hr>
<b>For those of you bicyclists:</b>
I've got a Pegeout that about 40 years old and still works great. I got it for free four or five years ago and have put 500-1000 miles on it since then. It's very simple: no kickstand, no toe-clips (I took them off), and just ten speeds. My only complaints are that it doesn't shift as well as modern bikes, the gears don't go high enough, and it's lower ride makes it harder to take sharp turns. I'm always amazed at how efficient bikes are: you use your own body for fuel and they require practically no maintenance. It beats the heck out of walking or running and costs next to nothing. They're cheap, too! Plus, they're always getting lighter easier to shift.

Huntress
14th Aug 2002, 01:30
Well I can't give many details either but I have and paid for too..nanananana tBm :p 87 Olds Calais 2-door with leather seats, LOL but keep a pad on my side for such things as summer days :D Auto Shift, nice radio w/equalizer, etc., A/C that works and a heater that doesn't LOL...I bought it used about 5/6 yrs ago(?) and had to put a lot of money into it...Sons did most of the work but later had to take it to the shop for some additional problems that came up and they didn't want to do anymore work on it. Can't blame them..it was a bear to work on. However, seems to be holding up so far (another knock on wood for me too!). Milage..I have no idea really but not too bad, reasonable for a V6. It's white and has a maroon interior which I like and when I bought it, at least the dealer had a new interior roofing thrown in...still probably paid too much for it but it was what I wanted out of all the cars I shopped around for ;) It suits me..a little luxuary with a tad of sportyness in its design. Tee hee!

I've never owned a new car and probably never will...but that's OK...too late to worry about it now...however, one real nice benefit is my insurance rates are fairly good I guess for this day and age...only carry PL and PD so I can be legal! LOL License plate renewals are a bargin though and that's a real benefit...so you folks with your newer cars and multiples...glad it's you and not me...ha ha ha!

Don't think too much about buying anything else now as my driving is limited and hoping future repairs will be within my means to keep what I have...can't really nor want to have car payments again..but of course this is highly unlikely...since I'm going to live at least another 20 years :eek: :rolleyes: Well maybe one of those electric carts...that'll be the day! Don't really know what I'll do when the time comes...but I guess I'll figure out something....? Ta and Good Hunting!

Hah, an afterthought...probably only be able to drive for another 10...so maybe I can get away with it? LOL Wishful thinking of course....

Hawklette
14th Aug 2002, 01:41
Just gave my Toyota Corolla 5 speed standard shift to my son. It was an 87 with about 86,000 miles.
Now I have a 2000 Chevy V6 Cargo Van Extra. No side windows but it's an automatic. It rides nice and I like being able to see everything but parking is a trip. I'm still practicing. LOL!!! This was my souvenir from the Alaska trip. Chevy wasn't my choice but it was a great buy.:D

bravus
14th Aug 2002, 01:46
No flattery intended, Hawklette (well. maybe just a tad!), but I've seen your picture, and I refuse to believe you have a son who's driving!

Bravus

RicknMel
14th Aug 2002, 03:06
Originally posted by Grey Mouser
1986 Honda Rebal 250cc
Languishes by itself in the corner until I take the California Motorcycle safety course. I sit on it weekly and make vroom-vroom noises for RicknMel's laughter-therepy sessions. ;)

ROTF :D

...if you could only see me sitting in the shell of my Buick doing the same thing! ;) :p

Apache
14th Aug 2002, 04:22
Originally posted by Darkh2o
Wear your seat belts! They save lives, I'm proof of that![/SIZE];);) [/B]

I think that issue is a coin toss. March of 96 I flipped my 92 Ford F150 7 times end over end. Came out of it with a broken back and broken wrist. If I had been wearing my seatbelt. Noone would have enjoyed the FMs I have made. My headrest was ripped clean off the back of the seat, by not being belted in and flopping around like a fish out of water kept my head where I like it..On top of my shoulders. But I do recommend wearing one. I have automatic belts in my cars and make the kids buckle up even driving 4 blocks to the store.

Hawklette
14th Aug 2002, 05:13
Originally posted by bravus
No flattery intended, Hawklette (well. maybe just a tad!), but I've seen your picture, and I refuse to believe you have a son who's driving!

Bravus

Thanks Bravus and yes my son is old enough to (drive me crazy). LOL!! You made me smile!!:D :D

Common
15th Aug 2002, 01:16
1986 maroon Subaru GL wagon with 160,000 miles. I do all the work on it. Just put in a new alternator the other day. I have a small, golf ball sized Death Star in my front window handing by a suction cup. I too lust for a Impreza WRX. I would get the wagon in silver with the 18 (i think) inch wheel option and the racing exhaust and suspention. Can you say expensive auto insurance?!!! Out

Munin the Raven
15th Aug 2002, 01:51
The WRX comes in a great metallic blue, too.

They're not cheap, but there will be plenty of used ones to buy later. I saw one a few weeks ago that already had 54,000 miles on it (I don't think I could ever buy a new car either Huntress; they cost too much and devalue too quickly). I agree that the insurance must be a killer though.:p

I'm curious, though. I know that one problem with the newer Subarus is their interference engines. I wonder if the WRX also has this problem.

Fafhrd
17th Aug 2002, 02:43
"" A manual transmission has fewer parts and doesn't need cooling or computer controls, meaning there are fewer possible complications (like coolant leaking into your transmission) and repairs are cheaper (that is, if you don't ride the clutch or peel out at every intersection). There are also the newer 4-matics, which at a first glance look just like a "four-on-the-floor" except there's no clutch. I'm not sure exactly how they work""

one BIG advantage for a manual trans (especially for those who, while approaching, have yet to hit 30) is the benefit for insurance (due to being easier/cheaper to fix). at least if you need to carry full rather than only liability. I was getting quoted about 800 every 6 mo. when I checked earlier this year - my insurance is only going to be 435 every 6 now... and I'm only about to turn 28, so age didn't affect it this year.

Munin the Raven
17th Aug 2002, 04:20
With a manual transmission, there's also the additional buffer against getting stranded in the middle of nowhere because you can pop the clutch provided you have a slight hill or someone else to give you a push (or both!:D).

Insurance is a big-time concern, as are taxes!:eek: Even if I did have the money to buy a new car, I wouldn't have anything left over to pay the combined insurance and taxes on it.:p And don't forget about registration, emissions, and the ever-steady increase in gasoline prices. For those of you with the money to pay for Land Rovers, Lexus LX470s, Ford Excursions, and those monstrous Hummers, I envy you. I just want something that can get me from here to there without burning a quart of oil every 100 miles and that's going to last for a good 200,000 miles or ten years, whatever comes first (getting totaled is not an option!:p).

Sneak
17th Aug 2002, 05:53
OK I lost my mind and bought a new truck. A 2002 GMC Sierra 1500 Supercab. Got a dynamite deal on it. Black exterior, beige interior, 5.3 liters, power everything, CD and cassette, bucket seats, arm rests, antitheft alarm and leather. Ya leather. So either I am gonna love it or slip and slide around on it with sweat. We shall see. Nice leather though and was not hot when I sat on it even though the truck was in the sun all day. It also has Onstar free the first year, but I won't be buying any fancy options on it. So I have a new toy.

Oh boy, now I have to look forward to the first ding, the first scratch, HA!

Gumdrop
17th Aug 2002, 09:33
I passed my test about 6 years ago but only drove for 6 or 7 months before selling my car. Driving doesn't really interest me, but being a landscape gardener, I sometimes get to rip around on a mini grass cutter. Those things can fly, and the turning circle is awesome. ;)

We have a little course set up back at camp with rows of trees for newbies to practice cutting around, but every now and then some of us get together and have a blast timing each other round the course. I'm amazed the poor trees are still standing! :D

Last year, my girlfriends rich dad decided to buy her and her brother a car each. She always wanted a MR2, so she baught a nice yellow one. I don't know how she manages to see out of the back window, but that thing sure gets more attention than I do. :( Her brother however had a better idea, and opted for a speed boat instead. 30 miles per hour may not sound fast, but when you're bouncing along in the water it's one h3ll of a rush.

Munin the Raven
18th Aug 2002, 00:56
Wow, that's a serious truck Sneak!:eek: Just be sure to break it in properly. With something that size, are you really that concerned about little dings and scratches?:D I'd be focus more on driving it nice and easy druing the first 1000 to make the most of the powertrain, engine, and suspension.

Gumdrop, in the US owning a car is more of a neccessity (thank GM for that one :p). Those MR2s are spunky-looking, but I've never been inside of one. Yellow though? I really can't see one in that color. If I bought a vehicle designed for breaking the speed limit at every oppurtunity, I'd get it in a more descrete color.

ChowYunFat
18th Aug 2002, 00:59
I have a manual transmission too. In addition to all the other advantages, they're also a lot more fun to drive than a boring automatic!! :)

Munin the Raven
18th Aug 2002, 01:22
They are more fun, but some of the automatics are starting to get fun too with the manual overrides, staggered patterns, and forced power modes. Also, five speed automatics are becoming more available. There's also the 4-matic I mentioned above, which drives just like a manual except there's no clutch pedal.

Still, there's something less glorius about peeling out in an automatic by trashing your brakes or abusing a well-worn transmission.:p Nothing beats that smell of clutch in the morning.:D

theBlackman
18th Aug 2002, 02:13
Being as we have wandered into "cars that I/you/we like as well as own:

First car 1932 Chevrolet business coupe with jump seats, straight 6, Dual glasspacks. Standard 3 speed stick.

Second car 1940 Pontiac 5 passenger coupe, straight 8 column shift

Third car 1940 customized Mercury coupe, straight 8, 26 tooth lincoln Zephyr tranny.

Fourth car 1950 Mercury coupe, electric overdrive, Columbia two speed rearend, Opalescent pearl white paint over 5 coats of handrubbed black lacquer, with metallic purple below the side chrome, 3/4 race flathead 8 with dual edelbrock manifold and carbuerators that sucked gas, through 1/2 fuel lines, with a slupping sound you could hear for 5 blocks, top speed at 115 MPH.

The rest don't count except for my TR Spitfire with the Speed hardtop kit that made her look like a Z car or for those that know, the Plus six.

RicknMel
18th Aug 2002, 13:41
Originally posted by Munin the Raven
With a manual transmission, there's also the additional buffer against getting stranded in the middle of nowhere because you can pop the clutch provided you have a slight hill or someone else to give you a push (or both!:D).

Unfortunatly..that doesn't always work :(

About a month ago I took Mel out in my Mustang to teach her how to drive stick.......
I hadn't drove it in a while and wasn't aware that the battery was weak....
She stalled it in the middle of a large parking lot.....
I was pushing with all my might and having her pop the clutch trying to get it started...

It's so light, the back tires would just skid...and it's posi too! :eek:

I finally called a friend with my cell and got a jump :)

bravus
18th Aug 2002, 14:30
Hi all

Most of you might be aware of this, but it might have helped in Rick's situation above: if trying to roll-start, bump-start, pop-start, whatever the term is, a car with a manual transmission, it's sometimes better to put it in second rather than first. The ratio is different so that you're not trying to turn the engine over as fast, and it's less likely to skid...

HTH,

Bravus

PS The Magna that was our last car (I talked about it early in this thread) had a 4 speed auto, but I would have preferred a manual myself. (We mainly bought the auto for resale value and convenience.) It was a pretty powerful engine, but with a very narrow peak to the power curve - i.e. it really pulled strongly in a narrow range. With a manual it would have been much easier to keep it in that 'sweet spot'. I guess it would just have earned me more traffic tickets though... ;)

SlyFoxx
18th Aug 2002, 15:26
Yeah...I think manual is the way to go. The only exception would be if I lived around LOTS of traffic jams. All that in-and-outta first gear. Arrragh...I hate that. Especially with a sorta-stiff Jeep clutch.

DJC
18th Aug 2002, 16:08
I no longer drive a car as I do not require one at the moment, although when I next do need one I shall be looking for something small such as a Fiat Stillo/Punto as I wont use it that much. However I have had a few cars in my time (I get bored quickly ;)).

I had a blue 1997 Volvo V70 which I owned at the same time as a red 1993 Ford Escort RS2000 which was amazing. A lightweight roadgoing rallycar. I sold the Volvo and had the Escort as my sole car for a while until I feared it would die within weeks, so I sold it cheaply and bought a black 2000 BMW 325i. This was one amazing car, so very easy to drive. I fell in love with traction control when driving in the rain oneday. Anyhoo, the insurance on it was completely insane and I could barely afford it when coupled with the finance payments, so I got rid of that deciding I would pick up something cheaper within a week or so and I haven't done yet.

:)

Fafhrd
18th Aug 2002, 21:43
""They are more fun, but some of the automatics are starting to get fun too with the manual overrides, staggered patterns, and forced power modes. Also, five speed automatics are becoming more available. There's also the 4-matic I mentioned above, which drives just like a manual except there's no clutch pedal.""

the advantage to those "weird" automatics is (according to my stepdad, who works in the car business) that someone may want a manual, but still wants something his wife can drive, so its a compromise. I think they look silly.
I'm not trying to be sexist, but it IS more likely for a male to want/know how to drive stick.

Munin the Raven
19th Aug 2002, 01:45
Yeah, I'd have to agree that it's a real gender compromise. I've heard more than one version of the story from the guy whose wife couldn't drive stick and drove 20 miles home in first gear.:D

What kills me is when people get sporty cars like Corvettes or Porche Boxsters with automatics. I wouldn't buy either of those cars anyway (Corvettes are noisey, uncomfortable, handle poorly, and I hate the driving position, and I can't fit into a Boxster), but it's still painful to know they're available with ATs.

howie
19th Aug 2002, 02:15
http://members.aol.com/VWware/cncinc_2.gif

Howie: Hey, have you gal's seen a pink elephant around these parts ?

Fafhrd
19th Aug 2002, 04:51
"" I've heard more than one version of the story from the guy whose wife couldn't drive stick and drove 20 miles home in first gear.""

that's odd, MY biggest problem when I first learned how to drive it (funny story, bought the car and learned how to drive stick that day - I only had to drive 2 hours to get home, and that was timed with automatic...) was starting the thing moving... traffic lights were SOOOO much fun that day. Once it was going along, I didnt' have issues with shifting.
I've only managed to kill my new car 3 times so far - twice going in reverse (I've always hated manual reverse...), and once because I had to stop quickly enough that I forgot I was driving manual... not bad for not having driven stick in nearly 6 years.

Munin the Raven
19th Aug 2002, 21:33
When I first learned how to drive stick, my problem was also shifting into first from a complete stop. Today, I still have a little trouble backing up into a tight parking space that's on a hill. If I was just going to be crusing around the city and dealing with stop and go traffic and overcrowded parking all day I'd probably go with an automatic, with some serious interest in the new CVTs. Then again, are those even proper automatics? If there aren't any gears, they can't "automatically" shift.:p

I don't know how someone couldn't get out of first gear without clutch/transmission problems either, but it could be that they couldn't get the hang of letting the clutch grab (possibly because they were sitting too close) and rode the clutch all the way home..... not even all the way into first.:D

LeatherMan
20th Aug 2002, 22:34
had a blast driving the 300ZX through the NC mountains, especially the Blue Ridge Parkway with t-tops out and manually shifting gears! :cool:

theBlackman posted
First car 1932 Chevrolet business coupe with jump seats, straight 6, Dual glasspacks. Standard 3 speed stick.

Second car 1940 Pontiac 5 passenger coupe, straight 8 column shift

Third car 1940 customized Mercury coupe, straight 8, 26 tooth lincoln Zephyr tranny.

Fourth car 1950 Mercury coupe, electric overdrive, Columbia two speed rearend, Opalescent pearl white paint over 5 coats of handrubbed black lacquer, with metallic purple below the side chrome, 3/4 race flathead 8 with dual edelbrock manifold and carbuerators that sucked gas, through 1/2 fuel lines, with a slupping sound you could hear for 5 blocks, top speed at 115 MPH.

theBlackman, I am surprised that you didn't mention your motorcycle\s (or anyone else for that matter). This thread was about the personal vehicle\s you drive and did not limit it to 4 wheels or more.

Anyway, the reason I mention motorcycles is because of the wonderful museum that recently opened in Maggie Valley, NC. Wheels Through Time (http://www.wheelsthroughtime.com/) is an All-American transportation museum that I had the pleasure of visiting yesterday. It sports over 200 vintage motorcycles of various makes/models and most still run! There are a few vintage cars as well (most notably the 1929 Duesenberg valued at $1,000,000 :eek: ) but the focus is on motorcycles (there is even a Harley valued at $1,000,000).

If you ever have the chance to visit North Carolina do not pass up the chance to drive the Blue Ridge Parkway or to visit the Wheels Through Time museum!

theBlackman
20th Aug 2002, 22:59
Too true LM. But then I could include the bicycles, the motorboats, the sailboats, and even the rowboat or canoe.

Being as a vehicle is a device used for transport. :D :D

Huntress
20th Aug 2002, 23:24
I have driven stick shift in some ealier cars owned and did just fine, thank you :) However...just because this is story telling about cars, guys and stick shifts (thank goodness my Son doesn't read this forum :D)...He has had many cars/motorcycles and has a Pontiac TR (I think or something like that) anyway it's a small type sportscar. He baby's that thing and spends a lot of time and money to keep it up. Well I'm sure you know where this is leading...he was out driving a few years ago and didn't have his mind on his driving...left it in low gear all the way home and actually didn't make it home...burned the engine out..and to make matters worse...had recently done some major work on it...:eek: :D Poor guy...was really miserable for awhile ;) But he still has it and still drives it, although may give it up as he has other additional cars now plus his Fiances' car and a family to tote around. He also has a couple of motorcycles which he is now in the process of building a shed in his back yard to get some of this out of the garage to make room for other things now, LOL...

My Mother also drove streetcars/buses and stickdrives...so we're not all helpless in that regard :p Just now in this day and age it's not as common to drive stick as in years past. What do you think women were doing then???? No automatics in that time? :D

Ta and Good Hunting!

RicknMel
20th Aug 2002, 23:39
Originally posted by Huntress
...left it in low gear all the way home and actually didn't make it home...burned the engine out..and to make matters worse...had recently done some major work on it...:eek: :D Poor guy...was really miserable for awhile ;)

I know that feeling.......
I was about 18 years old...I had spent all my money for over a year on building a 455 for my 67 Buick. I was new to racing and miscalculated my rear end gear ratio / rear tire size.......
First pass down the quarter mile I ran out of RPM's with several hundred feet to go and was too young/dumb/bullheaded to let off the gas and blew my motor right there on the spot. :(

Buick 455's already have very thin walls, and I had already bored it over as much as possible for the first build.......
Block was junk
Crank was fried
Spun a rod
I even blew the alternator belt off
....and to add insult to injury......
In all my launch testing on country roads, I never did hook up so I didn't know how the car was going to react. (It did pull about a 1" wheelstand once though) My dad watched my pass and he said the car launched so violently that the rear quarter panel was cutting into the passanger rear tire all the way through first gear. And sure enough....there was a huge gouge in my brand new Goodyear slick.

Sheesh....I felt sick to my stomach for several weeks. I was so disturbed by that...I still haven't put the thing back together. It sat for many years while I built other cars. I've finally recently (within the last couple years) started to get back to it.
Someday.....somehow...it will see the strip again. :)