PDA

View Full Version : I cant start the game - Debugger detection

vadar_1
12th Aug 2002, 19:49
Well I got the game a loong time ago (when it first came out I beleave), and it ran perfectly on my windows 98 machine. Now I installed it on my windows xp machine, and when i try to play, I get a window saying "A debugger has been detected; Unload the debugger and try again". I patched the program and checked the tech faq to no avail. I dont have a 'debugger' running, except pherhaps MS Visual C++, but I cant persay, 'unload it'. I don't want to uninstall MSVC just for this. Any suggestions?

Azuriel
12th Aug 2002, 19:54
welcome to Zeta Plural mkII!

enjoy your stay!

ok i`ve seen this problem in other games, and i recommend running scandisk, a good defrag, and reinstall the game. after the reinstall, DON`T patch it. first, try it. if it works, patch it, if that works, you`re set. if that doesn`t work, apply the 1.1b patch (if you had patched using the standard 1.1)

if this all doesn`t work, maybe uninstalling MSVC isn`t such a bad idea (who uses it afterall?)

i hope i`ve helped you a bit further.

vadar_1
12th Aug 2002, 20:08
Originally posted by Azuriel
welcome to Zeta Plural mkII!

enjoy your stay!

ok i`ve seen this problem in other games, and i recommend running scandisk, a good defrag, and reinstall the game. after the reinstall, DON`T patch it. first, try it. if it works, patch it, if that works, you`re set. if that doesn`t work, apply the 1.1b patch (if you had patched using the standard 1.1)

if this all doesn`t work, maybe uninstalling MSVC isn`t such a bad idea (who uses it afterall?)

i hope i`ve helped you a bit further.

Chkdsk (winxp's equiv to scandisk) just ran this morning as part of a schedualed task. I defrag every saturday... I did try the game without the patch first, and I did reinstall it after patching, neither worked. I use MSVC constantly as part of Visual Studio Professional Edition. It is much more important then startopia by far.

Where can I find the 1.1b patch?

Ghyron
12th Aug 2002, 20:17
www.muckyfoot.com

vadar_1
12th Aug 2002, 20:24
That really donsnt help... I was hoping for a more direct download... all I can find is 1.0.1

Azuriel
12th Aug 2002, 20:28
http://www.muckyfoot.com/startopia/downloads/StarTopiaPatch1.0.1b.exe

Mucky Foot
12th Aug 2002, 22:05
Well, WinXP was released after StarTopia, so there's not a lot of testing we could have done with it :-)

Possibly what you could do is disable the "just in time" debugging that WinXP has. It's very clever and all, but it does make StarTopia's copy-protection think you're trying to hack the game. You might also be able to run StarTopia in a backwards-compatible mode - that might do the trick. Unfortunately, we don't have much experience with WinXP as we all run Win2k in the office (which doesn't suffer from this problem), so I can't give you precise instructions.

And obviously if you're running WinICE or any other kernel-level debugger - well - erm - don't.

TomF - Muckyfoot coder.