PDA

View Full Version : Names in Blood Omen 2...

darien_specter
12th Aug 2002, 07:25
In the spirit of the many revelations concerning the names of characters in Soul Reaver, and to jumpstart some discussion, I turn to the meaning/connections in the names of characters in BO2, particularly the other vampires that Kain encounters. (This, of course, contains some slight spoilers.) From my own knowledge that I have identified, we have:

Faustus - a literary character who sells his soul to the devil in exchange for arcane power and the service of the demon Mephistophiles

Magnus - a Latin word meaning "great".

Anybody have any ideas on Marcus, Sebastian, or Umah?

Sade Lyrate
12th Aug 2002, 17:31
I found these with a quick search...

Marcus = (I doubt it, but...) Hammer
Sebastian = Venerable
Uma = Mother or Light

And Faust- means luck, fortunate, etc...

Also, deepest thank yous to everyone who took notice of the accident
that befell Nite & my server... Turned out that near-everything's really lost :(...

Apocrypha Roxy
18th Aug 2002, 18:50
Along with the names in Soul Reaver, the names in Blood Omen 2 seem to be connected with their characters' true nature. After all...

Faustus, as you said, sold his soul to the devil - and in BO2 he allied himself with the Sarafan Lord in exchange for protection and some authority.

Magnus (meaning great) was Kain's champion, and set out that fateful evening to take out the Sarafan Lord himself, in his utmost loyalty to Kain.

Marcus, if 'hammer' is the meaning, is defeated by having the bells in the cathedral rung (when Kain goes to meet the Bishop of Meridian).

Sebastian (venerable=commanding respect by virtue of age, dignity, character, or position/worthy of reverence, especially by religious or historical association) allied himself with the Sarafan Lord & organized the sabotage (?) that cost Kain the war and nearly killed him - he questioned Kain as to why Kain should become ruler of Nosgoth and not he, in his little speech before the two face off in the Industrial Quarter. He's obviously got an ego nearly as big as Kain's. And that's saying something! :D

-----------

BTW If you checked in the Soul Reaver forum (or is it the LoK Chat?), they held a similar post with the names of Raziel & his brethren, as well as Kain. Isn't it interesting that all but Raziel are biblical characters that were corrupted or did something wrong, while Raziel means 'secret of God' and is a beneficial archangel? Also that surrounding Raziel are secrets to his true purpose and his destiny? Hmm... Think about it... ;)

Lady Kreliana
18th Aug 2002, 23:52
I dunno if any of you guys have visited www.kabalarians.com, but they give personality definitions to names. I thought I'd post a few of them here to compare and contrast these name definitions with their characters. :)

Umah

Your name of Umah has created a practical, patient, scientific nature able to concentrate on the finer details of a project or undertaking. You would function best in settled conditions where you are not called upon to meet and mix too closely with others, but are able to work on your own. This name restricts congenial expression and association, creating much aloneness. You could express your thoughts more easily in writing than in speaking. You seldom experience the peace of mind that comes with composed thinking and emotional control. Health weaknesses could appear in the digestive system, causing constipation and other related problems, or in disorders affecting the heart, lungs, or bronchial organs.

Faustus

Your first name of Faustus has created a deep, sensitive, refined nature with an intelligent mind and a keen appreciation of material values. You enjoy all the finer things in life that a good standard of living allows. You have good business judgment and would do well in a managerial position, as you have executive ability. You work best in an independent capacity, where you are able to think problems out carefully before you act. Your sensitivity and reserve prevent people from coming close in friendship. There is always an aloofness and reserve that acts as a barrier and prevents any close ties. You live much within your own thoughts, and seek relaxation away from people, out in nature, where you can ease the tensions of your life. You find it difficult to express your true feelings, whether it be affection, appreciation, or tenderness, which play such an important part in creating a close bond within the family. Any weakness in health would show in the respiratory system or generative organs.

Magnus

Your first name of Magnus has given you creative ability, imagination along practical lines, and the patience to pay attention to detail for a while. Although you are attracted to technical, mechanical, scientific fields, you lack the patience to follow through with this interest. This name gives a certain amount of practicality to your thinking; but there is also a tendency to scatter your efforts for, although you want system and order and stability in your life, you are too apt to be distracted from the job you are doing and to become involved in spontaneous interests. You are good-natured, have a good sense of humour, and are fairly easy-going, making friends with those who enjoy a good time. A weakness of this name is a tendency to make promises which you have difficulty in keeping. You tend to be lavish in your tastes and to spend your money freely. You have a heart of gold and are always ready to give generously. Since your feelings are strong and you tend to be enthusiastic and boisterous, you burn up your energies quickly and indulge in quick-energy foods, sweets, and starches. This type of diet affects the functions of the liver, causing either suffering with gall stones, jaundice, or skin troubles.

Marcus

Your first name of Marcus has given you creative ability, imagination along practical lines, and the patience to pay attention to detail for a while. Although you are attracted to technical, mechanical, scientific fields, you lack the patience to follow through with this interest. This name gives a certain amount of practicality to your thinking; but there is also a tendency to scatter your efforts for, although you want system and order and stability in your life, you are too apt to be distracted from the job you are doing and to become involved in spontaneous interests. You are good-natured, have a good sense of humour, and are fairly easy-going, making friends with those who enjoy a good time. A weakness of this name is a tendency to make promises which you have difficulty in keeping. You tend to be lavish in your tastes and to spend your money freely. You have a heart of gold and are always ready to give generously. Since your feelings are strong and you tend to be enthusiastic and boisterous, you burn up your energies quickly and indulge in quick-energy foods, sweets, and starches. This type of diet affects the functions of the liver, causing either suffering with gall stones, jaundice, or skin troubles.

Sebastian

Your first name of Sebastian has given you a clever, deep mind and the talent to excel in highly inspirational lines of endeavour as a dramatist, musician, writer, or artist. You can be lifted by beauty in all forms and you are at the most creative when inspired. Your expressive, affectionate nature responds very quickly through your feelings, but you must guard against being possessive and jealous. You feel and sense much that you do not fully understand and cannot express. Your delight in mystery could draw you into occult studies or religions. Unfortunately, uncontrolled thoughts make it difficult for you to retain emotional stability, and prevent you from finding proper peace and relaxation. You tend to centre your interest too much on whatever means the most to you, and then you become over-possessive and suffer through disillusionment and fear of losses. Moods of depression, self-pity and a quick temper cause you much suffering. Inner turbulence can deplete your vitality and have a detrimental effect on your health causing you to suffer through heart, lung, or respiratory troubles, as well as breakdowns of the nervous system.

I also thought I'd throw in these two...

Kain

The first name of Kain creates a shrewd, aggressive, business nature, intent on personal gain. You are capable of very logical and analytical thinking along practical business lines, and could excel in financial fields, law or politics. Your judgment is seldom swayed through your feelings. You have definite executive and leadership abilities, however you are inclined to be too blunt and forceful in dealing with people. There is a need to show more tact and understanding toward others in order to moderate a rather self-centred nature. The desires for independence and financial success have been strong motivating forces from very early in your life. Sacrificing much for material ambition will result in a lack of harmony and balance in your personal life, particularly a lack of appreciation for social courtesies and things of a more inspirational nature. Your health could suffer through ailments centering in the head. Also, the generative organs could be affected.

Raziel

Your name Raziel gives you a strong sense of responsibility in business and material affairs, and the practicality and determination to make a success of anything you undertake. Your ability to organize and direct the efforts of others enables you to excel in any managerial position because you have the ability to grasp the concept of a goal complete with an understanding of the steps to be taken. This name has allowed you to develop depth and breadth of mind. You are able to retain facts, to grasp new information to your existing store of knowledge. You never seem to be out of your depth of understanding. For these reasons others who may not have the same quickness of mind classify you as a "know it all" and, although you may be highly respected, this characteristic is unlikely to endear you to your associates. You have a very responsible nature, are capable and mature, and are willing to assume a position as a pillar of the community. You are quite healthy, but possible trouble areas are found in the generative organs.

~I hope you guys enjoyed these. :)

TheElderGodofNosgoth
19th Aug 2002, 15:42
In a search that I did with a baby name search engine Marcus meant Warlike, Umah came up with nothing, Faustus meant Good luck, Mangus meant large, Kain (Kaine) ment Tribute and also (Cain) meant craftsman, Sebastian meant Majestic, Raziel came up with nothing too. My own name means "who is god like." I would say that is about right.

Lady Kreliana
19th Aug 2002, 16:17
Raziel means Secret of God. :)