PDA

View Full Version : It just dawned on me...where are japanese SMG's?

Yakkalot
10th Aug 2002, 05:40
There aren't any in the game!
Has anyone seen them?
I've only seen them with the arisaka's

Longshot
10th Aug 2002, 09:08
It's a hidden weapon ;)

Yakkalot
10th Aug 2002, 17:02
If thats what you want to call it fine by me... ;)

:D

But seriously, the japs don't seem to use any in the game for some reason. There's an MP40 in kwai, which the japs sure as hell didn't use...

DudeItsMe
11th Aug 2002, 03:41
If its hidden I would love to see it sometime. Did they even use SMG's in WWII?

Yakkalot
11th Aug 2002, 04:55
They used Type 100 SMG's, though nowhere near the proportion of most European nations...

Xcom
11th Aug 2002, 16:03
You bahave

:D

DudeItsMe
11th Aug 2002, 18:48
I read it before it was edited, but I must have missed the naughty part :confused:

Yakkalot
12th Aug 2002, 11:09
Oh spank me... :D

whoops wrong forum :p

Sorry but the last week my tolerance for the political correctness nazi's has really dropped, the other day at work we recieved our bi-annual Party sponsored re-edukation und korrekt thought klasses where we spend a whole two days being told what bigoted scum we are and how to "team build" - they act as though I have to love the *******s there, I just wish someone would tell them there's a reason they call it work not "Lets go and live in utopian la-la land - and get free coffee and paid for it at the same time" :rolleyes:

[/rant]

Yakkalot
12th Aug 2002, 11:15
Originally posted by DudeItsMe
I read it before it was edited, but I must have missed the naughty part :confused:

Thurop got all ancy because I abbreviated the word "Japanese" to, umm, you work it out (;))
I then incinuated he had certain appendages to his forehead (once again i'll let you work it out... ;))

iakovos
12th Aug 2002, 14:53
You boyz have been playing around all the time I was gone...

hmmm...

Iakovos:)

Rapid
12th Aug 2002, 15:09
Originally posted by Yakkalot
.....Party sponsored re-edukation und korrekt thought klasses....

Hmmm, are you perhaps referring to "sexual harassment training" (as they call it where I work, as in, what, are we going to be taught how to do it??)...

Rapid
12th Aug 2002, 15:16
Also, it just dawned on me that in all my reading of the war in the South Pacific (a lot), I can't recall any mention of Japanese SMGs. Lots of talk about Nambus, Arika rifles, knee mortars, etc. But no small automatics. They probably had some, but I'd guess they were in very limited supply.

1shot1kill
12th Aug 2002, 17:15
Could anyone post a pic of the Japanese smg, i have checked a few sites with ww2 weapons but they seem to have everything but a Japanese smg. :confused:

Twitch
12th Aug 2002, 18:17
There's an SMG in Haiphong too- like Kwai just one with 30 rounds.

Yakkalot- I'm with you on PC stuff. In the US you have to phrase EVERYTHING a proper way so as not to offend anyone anywhere anytime. The pendulum has swung way past center favoring tiny splinter minorities and their agendas. It's just sick. An Aussie here that I know calls them "jappers" which sounds cute!

Yeah in Utopia there's happy cartoon music playing everywhere and everything is made out of Nerf material so no one gets hurt and can blame others since no one is responsible for their own action as they're all victims! La-la-la-da-da-da, doudly doot dee doo.

Xcom
12th Aug 2002, 18:46
Originally posted by 1shot1kill
Could anyone post a pic of the Japanese smg, i have checked a few sites with ww2 weapons but they seem to have everything but a Japanese smg. :confused:

It's a hard to find weapon...because it sucked then and was used very rarely and was expensive to build.

Only known as Type 100 SMG ( with 8mm pistol cartriges)

Type 100 Sub Machine Gun

Introduced Year : 1940
Caliber : 8 mm
Barrel Length : 240 mm
Length : 900 mm
Weight : 3.9 kg
Muzzle Velocity : 370 m/sec
Rate of Fire : 450 rounds/min
Magazine : 30 rounds
Production Qty : 2,000

Type 100 SMG was developed by IJA, based on Bergmann Sub Machine Gun. It is an air cooled, blowback operationed, full-automatic machine pistol. It used 8mm Numbu bullet, common to Numbu pistols. A bayonet can be attached at the barrel. The right photo shows a airborne model of Type 100. It can be folded at the bottom of the stock.

Type 100 was deployed into paratroops. Paratroopers in Palembang, Leyte and Okinawa were equipped with Type 100.

An improved model of Type 100 was developed in 1944. The improved model was simplified and its rate of fire was increased to 800 rounds. The left photo shows an improved model. It is said that 7,000 to 8,000 of the improved model Type 100 were produced, but they were reserved for the battle of Japan proper.

1) Crappy picture:

http://member.nifty.ne.jp/takixxx/T100.JPG

2) Better picture, but this is a tiny replica.

http://users2.ev1.net/~jimbobwan/rb990803a3c.jpg

Yakkalot
13th Aug 2002, 05:59
Originally posted by Rapid

Hmmm, are you perhaps referring to "sexual harassment training" (as they call it where I work, as in, what, are we going to be taught how to do it??)...

Yep, but thats only part of it, it also includes "racial tolerance", "Teamwork and co-operation", and my personal favourite, "Sensivity training classes"
:rolleyes:
Whats worse, is you cant just sit there and grit your teeth, you have to act as though you're enjoying yourself, and take part is cheesey "roll plays" that play out like something you'd exxpect to see in the brady bunch.

Twitch, it's surprisingly similar here, we can't call aboriginals "aboriginals" because thats a racist white man's term, we must use, "indiginous Australians" ,which sounds like a bit of an oxymoron to me, but hey, someone ought to send a dictionary to ATSIC with the meaning of Aboriginal highlighted :rolleyes:

[/rant]

Back to the topic, the Type 100's were commonly used in china, but not much in the island campaigns, thus with few seeing actionagainst US troops, it wasn't widely known.

interestingly enough, one of the concept screens shot a japanese soldier with a type 100.

1shot1kill
13th Aug 2002, 10:41
hmm, that gun looks like a mix of the mp41 and the stengun.

Twitch
13th Aug 2002, 15:10
Yak- Red people here want to be called Native Americans instead of Indians. And it's now bad form to have a sports team called the Braves even though that describe no one tribe. Apaches for a team would be out of course. I've always looked at an Indian tribe name as a complimentary moniker meaning tough, brave, powerful. The curious thing now is that archeological evidence is showing that people of Cro-magnon, euro-looking build were here before any of the Mongoloid race came from Asia and became "Indians."

It's gotten so bad here it's way beyond race or sex. The US is becoming like Japan where you say things with "nicer" words like "I was downsized" or "out put" meaning you were fired or layed off.

TOPIC- Japanese SMGs were crude and junky. The Mp38 and 40 and the Thompson were in a whole nother class. Even the US "grease gun" using the .45 cartridge and made of stamped metal was better.

Rapid
13th Aug 2002, 16:52
Originally posted by Twitch
Even the US "grease gun" using the .45 cartridge and made of stamped metal was better.

You rarely read about US soldiers using that grease gun in combat in WWII. Anyone know why? They sure seemed to like the Thompson .45, though.

There, i was on-topic. Now, re: indigenous peoples, you'd think being born in Australia (for example) would make one per se an "indigenous Australian," wouldn't you? But NO-OOO-ooooooooooooo....!! So what are the rest of us evil, soon-to-be-dead white males -- chopped liver?

Xcom
13th Aug 2002, 17:23

it's surprisingly similar here, we can't call aboriginals "aboriginals" because thats a racist white man's term, we must use, "indiginous Australians"

Interesting, I've always heard on local TV "native Australians" being referred as aboriginals..Little do they know :rolleyes:

Yakkalot
14th Aug 2002, 05:16
Originally posted by Rapid

You rarely read about US soldiers using that grease gun in combat in WWII. Anyone know why? They sure seemed to like the Thompson .45, though.

Well no, it only began entering large scale service in around '44. As for liking the tommy, I think you ought to recheck your sources. They were in large scale use throughout the war, but they werem't popular. This wasn't an american only opinion either, the russians hated them as well. They got large numbers of them inside their shermans but they were so big and bulky and heavy, most just ditched them for a ppsh or MP40 ASAP.
They were officially placed on optional usage in 1944, but they were still in use well into the 1950's. The M3's were being used quite regularly in vietnam as well. I was talking to a guy on another forum, who's in atrillery with the US army, he said that they only ditched their M3's in 1993!!! He reckons that there's probably a few ones in stray REMF TO&E's even today as well!

[i] So what are the rest of us evil, soon-to-be-dead white males -- chopped liver? [/B]

No, that would imply we were living creatures that are/were warm blooded and had a heart - we are cold blooded murderers and oppressors and are so deepply bigoted and have racist thoughts so deeply ingrained in our cold minds tht we do not often even know we are doing something wrong even when we are... :rolleyes:

Twitch
14th Aug 2002, 15:12
Yeah the "grease gun" came along way after the Thompson. US was like most armies in the 1930 thinking that if you give a GI a weapon with high rate of fire he'd squander ammo. The M1 Garrand was a good compromise being semi-auto with just 8 rounds though. 30.06 had a better punch than most other calibers in bolt actions used by Japan and Germany. I have a 30.06 Argintine Mauser re-chambered from what ever it originally was and my M1 can out shoot it easily. You can keep eye and muzzle on target much easier. Later in the war the US realized the need for firepower and the cheaper, mass produced M3 came along. They even had a bend barrel you could fit for around-the-corner street fighting good for a couple 100 rounds.

I saw Thompsons in use in Vietnam in 1969-70 by both ARVN and VC.

OT- Minorities here want reparations from any companies that were in existance during slavery 150 years ago!!! Never mind that none of the people or policies are still around in 2002 in those companies. Yet American and Allied Bataan death march survivors that were put to work as slave labor aren't even being assisted by the US government to get compensation from Japan. These people and companies, however, are the same from the living last generation of evil doers. HORSE HOCKEY!!!

I've never owned a Japanese auto and never will. I buy electronic devices that have US manufacturer's names at least- Philco or Magnavox instead of Sony or Hitachi. At least now the guts are made in Taiwan not Japan!

The pilots I know in the Pacific hated the Japanese where in Europe they didn't nearly as much. One of **** Bong's wingmen told me, "I always aimed for the cockpit after seeing films of the japs beheading captured American pilots."

BTW most Japanese war crimes trials were a joke compared to Nuremburg. Only a handful were actually hanged and most were in a comfortable camp- quite unlike Spandau. Most of the guys actually went out on furlough eventually sending their chauffers to say their names at a monthly roll call. These convicted war criminals, of course, headed post-war industry and a couple even were Prime Minister. Those that weren't criminals had close ties to them.

So in Australia I'll bet Yakkalot would rather buy a Holden than a Nissan!

Xcom
14th Aug 2002, 15:32
I don't like where this is going. We will end this racial talk, m-kay?
Twitch, I leave your anti-japanese preaching un-edited for the time being but next time keep your propaganda to yourself.

1shot1kill
14th Aug 2002, 16:56
I'm suprised that nobody has mentioned tha the Greasegun was supposed to take the place of the Thompson as it was much cheaper and faster to produce, however it never got that far to replace all of them because the war ended.

Yakkalot
15th Aug 2002, 04:32
Yeah the "grease gun" came along way after the Thompson. US was like most armies in the 1930 thinking that if you give a GI a weapon with high rate of fire he'd squander ammo. The M1 Garrand was a good compromise being semi-auto with just 8 rounds though.

Well the M1 was originally designed to be a ten round .22 but the DoD wanted to keep ammunition the same as the 1903, so they stayed with the 30. There were some fixes to the problems though, quite a few garands were rechambered for BAR mags afterthe war, so you'd get the 20 rounds and none of the problems inherent with the garand's mag lip fragility problems.

So in Australia I'll bet Yakkalot would rather buy a Holden than a Nissan!

Well yes, I drive a holden commodore, but at the same time my grandparents both drive a toyota corrolla and they were both in japanese PoW camps during the war :)

1shot1kill
15th Aug 2002, 08:37

Well the M1 was originally designed to be a ten round .22 but the DoD wanted to keep ammunition the same as the 1903, so they stayed with the 30. [/B]

Which was also the same type of ammo as the BAR and the M1919A4 Light Machinegun.

Yakkalot
15th Aug 2002, 13:42
yes, but those were secondary, you're forgetting we were in a world still steeped in the myth of the rifleman...

Twitch
15th Aug 2002, 15:18
1shot is right about ammo. Interchangeablity was/is an important factor. But Yakkalot is right on as to the way the war and firepower progressed as the combat needs were weighed.

In the 1930s through the early war era it was the rifleman concept where later on spray and pray firepower was the norm with all nations producing inexpensive sub guns.

Same with combat aviation. In the late 30s it was assumed that 4-20mm cannon in the wings would never work what with predicted shake and instability.

Hmm! 1shot- the BAR in C3 might be interesting... But anyone got any thoughts an any other new hand-held weapons they might put in C3?

xcom- I prefer not to purchase products produced by a country that has assaulted my country's economy. Everything else stated is documentable historical fact. And since I may not use the dimutive first name of America's top ace "Richard" Ira Bong I'll give you the address of Capt. Ralph Wandrey, one of Bong's wingmen, if you want and he'll give you the same quote. If 1shot can state correctly that 1 percent of Germans were Nazis why can't I state historical fact that Japanese war criminals had it easy by comparison to Germany's?

Xcom
15th Aug 2002, 16:08
xcom- I prefer not to purchase products produced by a country that has assaulted my country's economy. Everything else stated is documentable historical fact. And since I may not use the dimutive first name of America's top ace "Richard" Ira Bong I'll give you the address of Capt. Ralph Wandrey, one of Bong's wingmen, if you want and he'll give you the same quote. If 1shot can state correctly that 1 percent of Germans were Nazis why can't I state historical fact that Japanese war criminals had it easy by comparison to Germany's?

Firstly, what products you prefer to purchase is entirely up to you.
Secondly, your remarks are not the same compared to 1shots. You may have stated a historical fact (of which I am not sure but that's irrelevant) and quoted other people's words, yet you didn't draw the clear line between the past and the present thus making an impression that Japan (or Japanese people), as we know it now, is somehow responsible for the occurances of the past. You also insinuated (by describing your choice of products) that all japanese products should be boycotted because Japan supposedly did something bad in the past. This is what I find inappropriate for these forums.

Mack the Knife
15th Aug 2002, 17:44
i agree with xcom and i'm not talking about his rebuttle but his request to temper this flag waving stuff. harboring resentments is your business but let's keep it that way. venting your prejudices about what transpired 60 years ago on a public forum about a damn game is ludicrous.

1shot1kill
15th Aug 2002, 18:45
yes, but those were secondary, you're forgetting we were in a world still steeped in the myth of the rifleman...

Yes, but the 1903 Springfield was not the only reason they changed it, other guns like the M1919A4 were taken in consideration too, because the 1903 was only used by riflemen in the marine corps in the Pacific and only as a sniper rifle by the army. (mainly in the Pacific and in small numbers in europe)

ragsy
15th Aug 2002, 23:21
Originally posted by Mack the Knife
venting your prejudices about what transpired 60 years ago on a public forum about a damn game is ludicrous.

indigenous Australians are still harboring prejudice against what happened 200 years ago, and it is still in the courts......

Then talk to the Jews about prejudice...

So like it or not its real and its topical just becausecause it happened in the past....

But I agree this is not really the place for it

Twitch
16th Aug 2002, 00:14
1Shot- yep there were other weapons in use to consider so as to keep the interchangability option. Made supply and production easier, certainly.

The Marines used the M-14 in .308 at the beginning of Vietnam but by 69-70 I trained on it but then the M-16 and those went in country with us. By then any problems were cleared up- they had chrome breechs for better feed and didn't dirty up fast. But they needed to be cleaned like any weapon.

When Eugene Stoner developed his light infantry rifle he conceived it in 7.62- the NATO round- and we ended up with 5.56! Would have been silly to be on the European battle field with Allies against the Sovs with different ammo! I still think the US should go to 7.62.

What are your "army guys" using these days?

To all other touchy, touchy people accept my humble apology.

Mack the Knife
16th Aug 2002, 00:46
touchy, touchy people
don't patronize me, buddy boy. i have nothing against you twitch but don't go categorizing me because i think you're a tad bit jaundiced and overstated in your viewpoint.

this is not really the place for it
and that was my point

Mike_B
16th Aug 2002, 06:57
Originally posted by ragsy
But I agree this is not really the place for it

I second that imo some people take this game far to serious and forget that it's just a game. Who cares which weapons are used which colour a certain plane has :confused:. I for one don't, for me the main thing is fun in a game.

Yakkalot
16th Aug 2002, 11:35
Originally posted by @m
Who cares which weapons are used which colour a certain plane has :confused:. I for one don't, for me the main thing is fun in a game.

I dare you to go to SimHQ or Frugal's World and say that on the forums there... I dare you... ;)

(I'd reccomend an asbestos clad suit though... ;))

Mack the Knife
16th Aug 2002, 15:40
I dare you to
i think what he's trying to say yak (and i agree) is that if you want to talk the talk about the military then go to these sites. maybe this is not the site to get that serious about the freaking color of the hydraulic line that runs from the cockpit to the left wing! :D now certainly i'm not putting down those who know this much detail about the military, but it seems to always get to the point where those that know alot start to rub everyone else's face in the fact that they don't know as much and that's when it goes downhill.

Twitch
16th Aug 2002, 15:46
Ya know Yakkalot began the off topic lament about political correctness and the minorities in his country. I was directing my comments to him alone. I'll e-mail him from now on, thank you.

You guys are right it's just a bleedin' game! Pyro went to fantastic lengths to make this more a kiddie game. Their historical accuracy and detail was excellent. Guys like Yakkalot and me are very interested in WW 2 history and while we point out that the A-26 wasn't in service on D-Day it doesn't detrate a bit from the game. Just a passing comment noted. Some games and simulations have hardcore fans at fansites that demand historical accuracy. That's all Yakkalot was alluding to.

I quit coming to this forum back when C2 was new cause certain folks weer ALWAYS jumping on others when they mentioned how they personally played. "You'll lose points." "That's wrong." "You won't get a medal," and all the way others were doing it all wrong. It was a tyrade of sickening harangues against anyone that didn't play the way certain folks thought was the only way to play. We didn't need rule nazis on how each personally plays the game. No one ever suggested they lay off the badgering.

Yakkalot
16th Aug 2002, 16:12
maybe this is not the site to get that serious about the freaking color of the hydraulic line that runs from the cockpit to the left wing! :D

Technically it's the port wing... :D

j/k

now certainly i'm not putting down those who know this much detail about the military, but it seems to always get to the point where those that know alot start to rub everyone else's face in the fact that they don't know as much and that's when it goes downhill.

Actually i've generally found that on most game forums it's the other way around, usually you'll get some kid who's read one book thinking they know everything getting into arguments with people who know (often) vastly more than they do (not looking down from Mt. Olympus here, but just calling it as I see it)

Remember that kid who came here a while back, atifkazi or something like that (i'll admit I was a little harsh on him just about everytime he posted though) and another time some kid came in here claiming he had a degree in, what was it, naval history or somthing like that, lol

Now if you go back, this whole thread got off track because thourop got all touchy about the abbreviating of the word japanese, nothing to do with military history... :)

Mack the Knife
16th Aug 2002, 16:27
because thourop got all touchy
yes, we know who the troublemakers are! but then again did you even stop to think that maybe i have a japanese wife? but as you can see, even though we've had a few skirmishes in this thread i don't think it's the makings for a lasting fued. i say we continue as we are and we'll work things out as they come up. peace, love, drugs, sex and rock & roll!!!

Twitch
16th Aug 2002, 20:09
Since this IS a military game can we discuss rifle calibers? If we only talk about game related mission scenarios the forum will be empty as 99 percent of us have played this baby to death.

Hmm? ..drugs, sex and rock & roll...what kinda drugs? I hope they're as good as the hypos in the game ;)

Mack the Knife
16th Aug 2002, 20:42
well, the forum rules say the forum is about the game. if you're a stickler for rules, then we discuss commandos 2 period. but as you know, we wander around a bit and almost anything within reason can be tossed out for discussion. if people start spouting off things that can be construed as offensive and they're asked to stow it, then they should and not whine about it.

...and yes, we had a guy from japan on here but i don't recall if he ever commented on people saying "japs" but i imagine it might have offended him.

but christ, i've been banned before and i don't make the rules around here. listen to me at your own risk!

Yakkalot
17th Aug 2002, 04:58
Well if "jap" is going to be considered a racist term, I then expect that nobody call me an "Aussie" as I find that racially villifying to me and my people.

I will also refrain from calling Britons "brits", Americans "yanks" Argentinians "Archies" so on and so forth...

Well remember whathapened to the forums last time the rules became enforced uber-strictly? ;)

Mack the Knife
17th Aug 2002, 20:27
point taken yak but let's be practical. is "aussie" really a racist label down there? i think calling you yakkalot is worse! :D and i don't know about "archies" but i don't think english people object to brits and i don't object to yank. i guess "jap" got it's negative connotation from the war years and it stuck. but you and i both know this is getting ridiculous so let's let it go. i will just call you Der Australier and you can continue to call me sir! :D

Twitch
17th Aug 2002, 22:16
"Ami" is what the Germans called us "Yanks"- just a shortening of American. People love to make nicknames and shorten things Corvette is Vette, you know. I've never figured shortening Japanese was racist. During WW2 the Allies fighting and those at home called them "Japs" and "Krauts". I don't hate the people- I just don't like their trade practices in the US these days. Nuff said.

During WW2 my original point was the Allies seemed to hate them much more than they did the Germans. There are myriad reasons and I guess people had their reasons as I quoted from the P-38 pilot. As bad as the baddest Germans were, dare I say Nazis, there wasn't such animosity between them and the Allies from either side- crack SS units aside. I've always thought this curious and as contrary to beliefs since many knew of the Jewish atrocities. Jerry was the British slang for German and Tommie was German slang for Brits. Brit is a contraction too! Most "Amis" called the Germans "Krauts" as a diminutive for sauerkraut.

I find it relentlessly puzzling why there were "enemy" popularity differences. I gotta get to the bottom of it before I croak!

Anyhow, on with the game!!!

Yakkalot
18th Aug 2002, 03:50
One that I never figured out was in WWI allied troops called turkish soldiers "Johnnie Turk"

DudeItsMe
18th Aug 2002, 13:48
My Daddy has his own airplane :D

Twitch
18th Aug 2002, 17:47
What kind Dude?

Yakkalot
19th Aug 2002, 02:17
Wanna lend it to us? :D

DudeItsMe
19th Aug 2002, 03:59
I do believe it is a 1943 (I should be close) J3 Piper Cub. Want pictures?

BTW, I just said that to lighten up the topic, you guys were getting WAY to technical. I just wanted to shoot a new gun in the game.

Twitch
19th Aug 2002, 14:52
Dude- the J3s pulled duty with many in private hands with the Civil Air Patrol in WW 2. They patrolled the eastern coasts of the US looking for U-boats flown by all volunteer pilots/owners. They even had a rudimentary bomb release mechanism and were able to carry 250 lb. bombs. One is even credited with the surfacing and capture/surrender of a U-boat.

Me and Yakkalot are into the history aspects of the war and aircraft so we do get technical from time to time on esoteric subjects but it's no worse than banal frivality.

And yeah, it's curious to see what new weapons there may be in C3. It's too bad this game is all code written and not moddable.

Lots of RTS games have mission generators and I think it would be extreamly cool to have that aspect in the game where one could build a mission.....

DudeItsMe
20th Aug 2002, 00:10
Haha I doubt this thing could carry a bomb! Well maybe, but it would be a bad idea. It is not even made of metal so it weighs only about 900 pounds and can only carry two people. I don't even know where you would put a bomb on it!

I like to joke about using it as a terrorist weapon, because anybody with a brain knows it wouldn't even dent a building, it would just go splat.

Twitch
20th Aug 2002, 15:11
Yeah pretty bizzare, huh? The guys returning with ordnance had to make very cafeful landings. Shows what drastic measures come about in time of war emergency.

Mack the Knife
20th Aug 2002, 16:44
one mystery of WWII was the disappearance of big band leader Maj. Glenn Miller (hugely popular in the US at the time). the story i heard was the plane he was flying in was in the fog below bombers returning to england after an aborted mission. the bombers dumped their load in a designated safe area over the ocean before landing but the story goes that Miller's plane was accidentally blown out of the sky by the ejected ordinance.

use this tidbit of trivia at your next beer and pretzel party...

Twitch
21st Aug 2002, 15:17
Yeah, that seems to be the last, best theory. It's strange why Miller just HAD to fly in that soup at night.

Rapid
28th Aug 2002, 15:26
....did you even stop to think that maybe i have a japanese wife?

You do? Is it true what they say, then?

Mack the Knife
28th Aug 2002, 17:25
rapid my good man. why do i have the feeling that if i ask you "and what do they say", i'm going to get some immature, childish, derogatory, sexist, racist or insulting response? i thought you were a better man than that....

Yakkalot
30th Aug 2002, 05:18
Yeah pretty bizzare, huh? The guys returning with ordnance had to make very cafeful landings. Shows what drastic measures come about in time of war emergency.

Well considering the British were serious in converting Lysanders into a form of crop duster to literally "set the sea on fire" to prevent any planned german invasions, in the midst of the luftwaffe suddenly whacking a few 250 pounders on a motorized dragonfly doesn't sound so strange :)

1shot1kill
30th Aug 2002, 08:57
I saw something on discovery channel a few weeks ago about the British having (i think) oil pipes under water at beaches and harbours the germans might invade and thye could use it to set the sea on fire in a matter of minutes.

Rapid
30th Aug 2002, 21:27
...immature, childish, derogatory, sexist, racist or insulting response?

Aw never mind, it's OT anyway. Of course I'm all of those things! ('cept racist, maybe.) But only because it's so much fun...