PDA

View Full Version : SR2 for PC controls

cwalker
8th Aug 2002, 18:27
I just played the demo of SR2 for the PC. I was not able to move backward or strafe left and right. I am used to playing FPS and use the WSAD keys.

I see on the Eidos site that the 1.02 Patch says that you can now configure all directional buttons. Is this what I am looking for??

Thanks for your help.
CCW

darien_specter
8th Aug 2002, 18:46
You could always map the keys; one of the major upgrades in the patch is to restore the camera panning controls from SR1. I don't think you've ever been able to strafe in any LoK game (excepting Kain in combat in BO2). I'm also not aware that Raziel ever really moves "backwards," unless he's backing away from an enemy; directional controls are relative to the camera, not Raziel, and send Raziel running forward in whatever direction he's facing. But you can map out the key controls (I always reset mine to match SR1).

blincoln
8th Aug 2002, 20:37
That's correct, there's no strafing. SR2 isn't an FPS =).

Jurjen
11th Aug 2002, 13:40
Actually, the patch does sortof include what he is asking for. The 'wsad' issue was a very hot topic on the old forum when SR2 was just released.

Soul Reaver 2 1.00 and the demo only allow you to map a 'forward/run' button on the keyboard. The others are only accessible through the cursor keys.

The patch (ofcourse only possible on the full game) allows you to map forward/left/right/back onto any keys you like, including wsad. It might not behave like an fps-style strafe/back, but it might very well still solve his problem.

If you have the demo I suggest you simply have a look at what your cursor keys do, and imagine how that would work for you if you mapped it to wsad. Based on reactions after the patch came out I think it works pretty well.

TheElderGodofNosgoth
15th Aug 2002, 02:38
That always buged me a little. When I first started playing Soul Reaver (1) for the PC I had just finnised one of the Tomb Raider games. It took me quite a wile to get use to the controles. Personally I never used the mouse while playing SR because I had that Tomb Raider influence. Also I found it diffuclut to controle Raziels fighting movement with the mouse.

Sarxis
16th Aug 2002, 15:53
I use a gamepad for it on the PC. Something about the LoK games that lend themselves to gamepads.

darien_specter
16th Aug 2002, 18:31
Oddly enough, even though I used my keyboard and not a gamepad, I've found that the only console I'm any good at using (I didn't have any consoles growing up) is the PS2. And all I can figure out is that it must have something to do with the way SR and SR2 relate to user input... Weird, isn't it?:eek:

ColdFusionLite
20th Aug 2002, 15:42
I actually really loved the control method for SR2, although a little keyboard remapping was required. After that, though, they became more second nature to me than even the standard WASD config. If I had my way, every third person game would have those exact same controls.