PDA

View Full Version : "Final Fantasy is an RPG"

Dracoraptor
7th Aug 2002, 16:01
Must, Download, Music! (http://remix.overclocked.org/detailmix.php?mixid=OCR00465)

I warn you, hard-core fans might be appalled.

Final Fantasy is an RPG
The only one that I need
It's the RPG for me
Final Fantasy is all that I play
All other games are lame
It puts them all to shame

I only play games that are popular
I only buy the games the magazines tell me to buy
That way I know I get good games for sure
I may have a shallow mind
But you can kiss my behind

Final Fantasy; it consumes my life
And that is probably why
I'll never have a wife
Final Fantasy has awesome music
And that is probably why it
Always gets remixed

I always buy the soundtrack to each game
Oh it is the only thing that I will listen to
Oh sure one day it may drive me insane
You may think that I'm a fool
Well I'm here to say "Screw you!"

Final Fantasy on PlayStation 2
With music by Nobuo
And graphics by Wong Chu
It is Final Fantasy number ten
Must save the world again
Right here from my own den

Hopefully I'll get through the game just fine
I don't know why I continue to play each game
They'll be making these 'til the end of time
Oh I guess that I will pay
For these new games 'til Doomsday

Remix done by Joe Redifer

windcloud
7th Aug 2002, 21:09
you can say that about any game series... but i guess there are just too many haters out there...

vakusuma
7th Aug 2002, 21:38
Gack.

Arctic_Wolf
8th Aug 2002, 00:27
Its only a piss-take :D I like it, and the author is only poking fun. If you'd seen the flash movie that he made for it, you would see he does actualy like FF. So I take it everyone here are purists?

Originaly said by someone famous

You can't have a sense of humour wiithout being able to laugh at yourself.

Dell
8th Aug 2002, 09:30
Not necessarily purists, just happen to like the Final Fantasy games. Some of us have been fans since Final Fantasy I came out for the old Nintendo console. Matter of fact I still have both that original console and the game. How about that?

You don't fault a person for liking things, do you? Or do you? Hmmm. If you do, then you have a problem even larger than your "cool", or perhaps even larger than your own head...which seems to be a pretty large problem, indeed!

Somehow you make the word "purist" come out sounding like a wimpy nerdy fanatic...my suggestion is get some kind of a life for yourself and expand your horizons into thinking games where it takes a modicum of brains to follow the plot.

I even play the Monkey Island Adventure games, The Longest Journey, Phantasmagoria, Black and White, Deux Ex, and once in a great while, the classic Sim City, not to mention Baldur's Gate I and II. As soon as I get home, I have Icewind Dale and Morrowind waiting.

P.S. I even play Harry Potter!

Arctic_Wolf
8th Aug 2002, 13:50
My definition of Purist in relation to Final Fantasy: Some one who does not like FF being laughed at, some one who probably takes it to seriously

You don't fault a person for liking things, do you? Or do you? Hmmm. If you do, then you have a problem even larger than your "cool", or perhaps even larger than your own head...which seems to be a pretty large problem, indeed!

Of course I don't. I've had a problem with that through my Child Hood, and i was, and stilll am, disgusted by that kind of mentality.

Somehow you make the word "purist" come out sounding like a wimpy nerdy fanatic.

That is definatly not what I meant, please don't twist my words.

..my suggestion is get some kind of a life for yourself and expand your horizons into thinking games where it takes a modicum of brains to follow the plot.

Hm, okay so now you are telling me to get a life and are calling me dumb? That I am stupid and can't follow plot or solve problems? Unable to form social relationships or have fun with my friends? Well, I find that quite offensive, and against the rules of the TOU. I will report your post to the forum moderator. Have a nice day.

Dell
8th Aug 2002, 19:06
OOPS! This is NOT our Jenova under a different name....no way does she misspell words and get all hot under the collar.

I discussed this in another topic here, and apologized because of the nasty situation of two Jenova's showing up here in FFVII forum...something not really good for smooth discussions.

Heads up, everyone! We have someone here who doesn't like to be challenged and who puts their very own twisted meaning on what others say!

Seems to me the accuser is usually guilty of that which he accuses! Opinion of course.

No flame war here, please, and no tit for tatting beyond this point.

Moggraider
8th Aug 2002, 20:38
Dell, you had no justification for that outburst. Arctic Wolf is right - the song is so lame, it's entertaining. If anyone doesn't like to be challenged, it's you. I won't have you overreacting to remarks made in passing by new members, and you won't be putting twisted meanings on what they say, either. Period.

Sephiroth110
8th Aug 2002, 22:31
here here, good show mod. good show, heh, i like the name too. and just for refrence, Arctic is no new member, he is a very long lived and respected member (1600something posts before forum change) heh, moggraider, i love it.
<walks off to destroy the planet while laughing to himself >

Arctic_Wolf
9th Aug 2002, 00:49
Indeed, Thankyou Moggradier.

P.S: Post count means nothing :D

windcloud
9th Aug 2002, 03:45
Originally posted by Arctic_Wolf
So I take it everyone here are purists?

oh, no no... i agree with some of the things in the song, but no one likes to see the things they like or enjoy getting made fun of or being sterotyped.

Originally posted by Arctic_Wolf
Well, I find that quite offensive, and against the rules of the TOU. I will report your post to the forum moderator. Have a nice day.

if you can't handle a little poke fun comment made by one of the members, and gotta run off to report to the mod, i got the same quote for you.

"You can't have a sense of humour wiithout being able to laugh at yourself."

Dell
9th Aug 2002, 09:46
Okay, Mr. Moggraider. Duly noted. However, let us show a modicum of fairness in this matter. Please note I did not respond to the song at all. I found it silly and poorly rhymed. I quote the remark to which I was responding:

"Its only a piss-take I like it, and the author is only poking fun. If you'd seen the flash movie that he made for it, you would see he does actualy like FF. So I take it everyone here are purists?

1. I believe however hyphenated, the fourth word in that first sentence is a word not allowed in Eidos Forums? That irked me. (I, just as you did, Moggraider, mistook this person for a total newbie. As such to come in spouting insults about FFVII- -and all the people who call this FVII Forum home- - and using questionable words in the bargain was a bit much and deserved a response.

2. I reacted adversely to the word "purist". Here is the concise definition of "purist", and note MY interpretation of the word as he used it is the first one:

" Main Entry: purĀ·ist javascript:popWin('/cgi-bin/audio.pl?purist01.wav=purist')javascript:popWin('/cgi-bin/audio.pl?purist01.wav=purist')
Pronunciation: 'pyur-ist
Function: noun
Date: circa 1706
: one who adheres strictly and often excessively to a tradition; especially : one preoccupied with the purity of a language and its protection from the use of foreign or altered forms"

Note the words "strictly and often excessively". Definitely not nice connotations, and note I am as entitled to have an opinion and interpret words in my own way as this person is. FAIR PLAY. Remember?

3. Note the last sentence in his comment. On the basis of two or three replies he has presented an assumption that we ALL are purists? I find it offensive in the extreme to be categorized and arbitrarily pigeonholed by someone who hasn't a clue about my tastes in games.

4. Lastly, his last sentence is presented in the form of a question. Questions, by their very nature seem to require an answer . . . so I answered him.

I stated MY definition and reaction to the word "purist" to make it clear where I was coming from and what it was I objected to in his post.

I asked a question regarding having problems with persons holding other viewpoints who like other things than he likes. He answered that ... and referred to his own childhood, something I know nothing about and do not care to know about.

Now as to the rest of it, I suggested that this person get a life and try some games that were more than endless fights or jump and run types. (No more of an assumption than the one he made about all of us being purists). The use of the term "get a life" is common. I said absolutely nothing regarding this person's friends--or lack of them--or his social arrangements. I am not sure where he got that from.

I listed the games I play to show him that I have diverse interests in the games I play.

Now then, Mr. Moggraider, I feel that I rebutted this person's original post, and he adequately rebutted my post.

AND HE REPORTED ME AFTER MAKING HIS REBUTTAL! That is dirty pool in my opinion. Either you stand and fight or you shut up and report it. You don't do your own hitting back and then run off to cry "foul" to the moderator. That is my personal opinion, of course.

And I said there would be no "tit for tatting" meaning I was saying nothing else on that subject.

Hmm, "tit for tatting". Reminds me of a very old little joke

Oh, the point in all of this? Please edit your chiding of me to include him. He clearly insulted me as much as I insulted him. And I am as entitled to have opinions and make assumptions as he is.

Sephiroth110
9th Aug 2002, 11:52
what? he didn't insult you AT ALL, he quoted how you inturpted what he said, and then said what he meant, and then he reapeated what you said that insulted him, said it was offensive and reported, that not hitting back and reporting, he didn't hit back at all, he didn't insult your life, or games, he tried to tell you he WASN"T insulting the game or you.

Dell
9th Aug 2002, 12:25
Whatever.

He is as pure as the driven snow and I am the ultimate evil FFVII purist...if you insist.

*Giggles at that picture and pirouettes in a graceful circle, full skirts flaring over layers of lace as she does so. "There, I just cast an evil spell and you will soon develop a very large..."*

So have it any way you like...does that make everyone feel just a whole lot better? All those little "let's get Dell" satisfaction buds dancing a Highland Fling of delight?

Good, everyone is happy now.

Lovely! Just took a look...you're right Moggraider...this IS a newbie to FFVII forum...not an old timer here at all! Where from? Startopia! How about that.

Not only that, Sephiroth 110 AND Dracoraptor who posted the poem are all from Startopia...three of the biggest contributing members there.

And Arctic_Wolf is writing a Fan Fic there, too...

And they are concerned about the "integrity" of their forum. Now I wonder just what that means?

He and his friends ARE newbies to FFVII Forum and just dropped in to say their nasty little piece, drop their nasty little assumptions that if we didn't care for the song we're all FFVII "purists" (definitely an intended insult to all of us here), report me, the only one here to stand up and defend us against insults, and then sneak back to their home forum snickering happily--I assume--at having gotten ME chastised.

Now ain't that a really bum bummer? Rotten if you ask me...

*Sneers, lip curling over white teeth.*

Right off hand, you complacent FFVII members, in my opinion, you have been invaded by three kiddies from Startopia, insulted and totally duped. And have done nothing...while Moggraider allowed himself to be manipulated into chastising me.

They insulted us and did so deliberately. Moggraider, I now officially report their original posts to you and ask for fair play.

Arctic_Wolf
9th Aug 2002, 13:00
I have not insulted anyone here. I heard purist from someone who liked the Final Fantasy series, I assumed that it meant someone who was very serious about the games and couldn't laugh about it. If you don't like it, fine I'll edit it out, you didn't have to start insulting me.

I have nothing against the Final Fantasy series or its fans.

P.S: Piss-take must be alowed since the censor hasn't asterixed it. If I knew a better word I'd use it but as yet I don't.

Chilled Unit
9th Aug 2002, 13:13
"taking the mickey" works, as does

"making fun"

"poking fun"

"parody"

... "taking the mickey" might be a little bit of a colloquialism, but have you never heard *any* of the others?

Come off it, I figured baiting other forums about their favorite games was old news.. guess not.

Arctic_Wolf
9th Aug 2002, 13:27
I thought Poking fun was kind of different, oh well. And not once have I said that I didn't like final fantasy, or that it was bad. I can't make that decision because I have not played the games. I just like the song, the song doesn't actualy say the games are bad either.

Like I said, I have nothing against the Final Fantasy series or its fans.

Dell
9th Aug 2002, 13:29
Would someone tell me what "piss-take" means? Cannot find it in the dictionary anywhere.

Arctic_Wolf
9th Aug 2002, 13:44
Hard to explain realy, I can give an example though. Have you seen Monty Python's Flying Circus, practicly all of the sketches they do are Piss-Takes. Most of them are of the BBC or morning television.

Dell
9th Aug 2002, 13:48
"I can't make that decision because I have not played the games. I just like the song, the song doesn't actualy say the games are bad either"

"Final Fantasy; it consumes my life
And that is probably why
I'll never have a wife

Oh it is the only thing that I will listen to
Oh sure one day it may drive me insane
You may think that I'm a fool
Well I'm here to say "Screw you!"

I only play games that are popular
I only buy the games the magazines tell me to buy
That way I know I get good games for sure
I may have a shallow mind
But you can kiss my behind"

Excuse me, but you threw the term "purist" out there, okay? Matters not that you do or do not know the actual meaning of the word...ignorance is not an excuse.

This song, if you will read the above quotes, describes a fanatic...I used the word in my reply to you to tell you what that word "purist" means to me. This song uses questionable phrases like "kiss my behind" and "screw you!" This is not actually proper dinner table terminology.

Now, I feel perfectly at ease with what I said to you...that you chose to be insulted and run to the Moderator is your business...obviously you are not aware that Moggraider is on top of this forum all the time! When he sees something out of line, he takes care of it!

And I am deeply offended that you reported me...I feel we were invaded by three members of another forum.

FFVII was once before invaded in this manner by Pirates...they started with one and made a vendetta out of it. Quite a few of us were around then. Now some of the pirates were really nice guys and are still around occasionally, but several people from another forum suddenly descending on a forum and posting highly questionable material is suspect.

Canyon Wolf
9th Aug 2002, 13:58
Come now people, (and I don't mean any single person) chill out some. Words can be misinterpret and all that. So mumble something derogatory to vent and forget it ever happened...

(Would it be cool if the real world ever work that way....:D )

N00dles
9th Aug 2002, 15:10
Okay, time to interfere in this 'flame-war'....

What's the whole deal about that insult-thing? The sentence
So I take it everyone here are purists? doesnt offend me in anyway. So I'm sorry, but I don't really understand what your're complaining about, Dell :\

I mean, who cares if someone assumes we're all purists?
I believe it was even meant sarcastic.

So relax, why does everybody have to upset about such a minor little thing?

PS. Not that this any worries me, but I felt this had to be said.

Edit --- PPS. Dell, you're not the 'evil FFVII purist' here. I just think you're overreacting a bit and taking things too personally.

Moggraider
9th Aug 2002, 16:21
I posted here before he reported the post, if that matters.

Anyway, it is clear to me and other people that Arctic_Wolf and the other Startopia members did not intend to be offensive at all, that "piss-take" is not offensive (if it were, "piss" would be censored), that Dell is trying too hard, and that I should now close this thread.