PDA

View Full Version : The legendary German SR1+2 DVD ROM

blincoln
7th Aug 2002, 01:21
Well, I finally managed to snag a copy of this rare (at least in North America) beast for myself:

http://www.eidos.de/games/info.html?gmid=149

While it's not entirely what I expected, this is a really cool product. Basically what you get is a DVDROM for your PC that includes the following:

- Soul Reaver
- Soul Reaver 2 (w/patch to version 1.02)
- The complete SR2 soundtrack in some kind of funky DVD-Audio format
- A bunch of concept art from SR2
- A screensaver (I haven't tried this out yet)
- All of the preview trailers for SR2
- The intro sequence trailer for BO2

Some observations:

- The concept art is different from the stuff in the bonus section on the PS2 DVD. There are a couple of things that are on both, but most are exclusive to one or the other. The German disc has mostly concept art of the demons.
- The high-res version of the SR1 intro is not present on this disc.
- No bonus material for SR1 (not that I was really expecting any).
- The BO2 trailer is the regular introduction, not the super-spiffy preview from the PS2 disc.
- The behind-the-scenes movies from the PS2 version are not on this disc.
- The preview trailers are all in English.
- The game itself and all the installers, etc. are in German, so you have to sprechen ze Deutsch (or be good at guessing) to understand what's going on. The voice acting seems to be well done, although of course the actors sound different than Michael Bell, Simon Templeman, and so forth.

For the curious, I got my copy on http://www.ebay.de/ - shipping was reasonable, but international payments are kind of pricey through banks or wire transfers. This is really something I'd only recommend to *hardcore* fans living in North America.

willow
7th Aug 2002, 04:09
That's excellent.... too bad I'm a poor college student who can't afford such luxuries...

L_Master562
7th Aug 2002, 07:02
I never knew anything like that existed. I'm off to look into this.

Rook
7th Aug 2002, 08:55
I'm not too terribly rich myself, but I'm quite willing to sell any internal organ I have more than one of to get a copy of that baby!

blincoln
7th Aug 2002, 15:57
Oh come on, Willow, why do you think instant ramen noodles were invented? =F

L_Master: I think you'd like it, but again you have to shell out for the international payment. It cost me $20 just to send money overseas.

Rook: You probably have the easiest access to it, since you're on the same continent. It seems to be pretty easy to pick up in Germany, my main issue was just finding someone willing to ship it over here.

willow
8th Aug 2002, 07:22
blinc, if I never see a ramen noodle again... it'll be too soon....
*shudders as thoughts of his first years at college and what he ate run through his mind*

... i'd rather eat my left hand...

Rook
8th Aug 2002, 08:50
Originally posted by blincoln
Rook: You probably have the easiest access to it, since you're on the same continent. It seems to be pretty easy to pick up in Germany, my main issue was just finding someone willing to ship it over here.

I'm in Ohio, actually. Thus, I am just as screwed as anyone else trying to order it from overseas.:D

Edit: Kidney for sale. Slightly used. One careful owner. Call... http://www.contrabandent.com/cwm/s/contrib/ruinkai/biggrinjester.gif

blincoln
8th Aug 2002, 17:08
Willow: I used to make it more interesting by adding a lump of peanut butter when it was cooking. Mmmmm.

Rook: Why did I think you lived in the UK? Sorry.

warpsavant
8th Aug 2002, 18:41
What PC version of Soul Reaver did it come with? The special one?

darien_specter
8th Aug 2002, 18:48
Special one? What special one?

warpsavant
8th Aug 2002, 18:53
The first one. I dont know what one. There are several different versions of PC Soul Reaver 1 and one is special it says it on Blinc site somewhere. =)

blincoln
8th Aug 2002, 20:36
Ah, the 1.0 version? I don't think it's anything out of the ordinary. I haven't had a chance to install it yet, though.

Bloodspawn
21st Sep 2002, 13:51
Ben, you truely amaze me! I been wanting to find the sound tracks to Soul Reaver 1 & 2 for ages, but didn't know where to go. As allways, you are the authority on matters of Nosgoth and their values. My problem is not expence, but rather I don't read Deutch. I would prefer to just buy the DVD ROM outright, but it seems its an auction site you must be involved with?

blincoln
21st Sep 2002, 23:24
=). Thank you Bloodspawn.
Yes, unfortunately the only ways to get ahold of this disc are to either buy it on eBay, or know someone who lives in Germany.
If you go the eBay route, the easiest way to find it is to go to http://www.ebay.de/ and do your search there. The text is all in German, but if you're familiar with the English eBay everything is the same. Once you've found it, email the seller and ask if they will ship to the US. Most will, since it's only about US$10 postage.
However, this DVD-ROM only has the full soundtrack to SR2, so you'd still be missing all of the SR1 tracks.
The only ways I know of to get all of *those* are to either listen to them on the PS2 version of Soul Reaver 2 in the bonus section, or rip them from the PC version of SR1. Neither of these include "Ozar Midrashim," the title track, so you'll need to snag a copy of _Don't Be Afraid_ by Information Society to get that one.
It's a bit of a trial to get them all, as you can see =).

Sayel
24th Sep 2002, 21:18
can you tell me if you can choose a language for playing, or is it just german?

blincoln
24th Sep 2002, 21:26
As far as I can tell, it's just German. I haven't played with the actual game *too* much though.

Sayel
24th Sep 2002, 21:50
in my opinion, the german one isn't as perfect chosen as the english one. At least they have changed Raziel's german voice from SR1, because it sounded so naively. the new one sounds much more darker and fits the mood. But I still prefer the english one nevertheless.
if you don't speak german and have problems with something, just ask, I'd help out gladly. :)