PDA

View Full Version : What Makes A Final Fantasy, According To Square Enix

Hala
28th Nov 2012, 16:50
www.kotaku.com.au/2012/11/heres-what-mak... (http://www.kotaku.com.au/2012/11/heres-what-makes-a-final-fantasy-according-to-square-enix/)

<ul>
Magic
Summoning
Gorgeous beauty
Refinement
Change and challenge
[/list]

I honestly respect their vision, but I felt that something is missing or wrong with the list.

I believe that FF is a huge series any element within it should be done perfectly with high attention to details. So for me it&rsquo;s all about perfection.so it is ridiculous to limit it to those elements.

Anyway- just for fun -if I would make a list of five it will be like this:

Change and challenge are top priority components.

(I guess refinement is needles to mention, it is so basic &hellip;.)

And then and without any particular order:

Story and most importantly its message and everything related to it like the theme, characters personalities and their background stories, world&hellip;etc

Gameplay with all its aspects from mini games to the hidden super strong boss battles (summoning and magic are included) I really don&rsquo;t understand why they mentioned those two as separate elements!

Music

Graphics

I wonder what elements do you think are essential for a final fantasy game?

Mouse99
28th Nov 2012, 18:17
just a good storyline works for me...

...oh and these five elements:

<ul>
Magic
Summoning
Gorgeous beauty
Refinement
Change and challenge
[/list]

JoeBobber
28th Nov 2012, 18:34
My wife would say if she can watch me playing and be just as involved in the story and characters as I am.

FatSqueek
28th Nov 2012, 19:03
Story

Music

Balance

Challenge

Kinetic

alanman178
28th Nov 2012, 20:11
"Expansive worlds" used to be on that list. Now, we get to look at the "Gorgeous beauty" of the world in unexplorable background graphics. The "Magic" isn't as impressive as it used to be. Throwing spells at enemies like firecrackers really isn't too creative. The more recent "Summoning" ideas were creative, but bad ideas at the same time. Just because something is different doesn't always mean it's good. ""Change and challenge".... I feel Square-Enix needs to focus on improvements to the existing and well-received ideas from the series. Then, challenge themselves to "add" new ideas. "Refinement" pretty much describes the enhancement of the performance and overall look of the new addition to the series.

I love most of the FF games. I'm just not too impressed with Square-Enix lately. They have made some, what I feel as, "unnecessary" changes to the series over the last decade or so. I am shocked with direction the series has gone in. Some people say we should appreciate Square for trying something new. I say, "They have. It's called Final Fantasy Tactics, Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross, etc...". Some of the changes that have been made make as much sense as randomly pulling off to the side of the road and changing a tire when you don't need to. Well, that's my gripe. lol

member_10745919
28th Nov 2012, 22:06
Magic and Summoning is a given, without it it wouldn't be a FF. Story is a huge part of FF games, that is why I think IX and VII were the top title, becuase it had a tremdeous story. Change and challenges are good, because it creates tweeks in certain areas of a previous FF game that would fit well into the next. Gorgeuos beauty is something that adds appeal to FF, so that is an important element. Music is a must. It brings the mood, the ambiance, and the thrill of each battle--think how X-2 would be if it didn't have great music.

I think thats pretty much it. Put those together and the balance will follow. SquareEnix has gone off track lately, and the FF series have gome astray. I think SE is trying too hard to be different, instead of letting it flow naturally. When they do that i think the difference will come ten fold and give us something along the lines of a Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross, Tactics, and so on.

WhitePrism
29th Nov 2012, 22:14
As long as it has white mages in it, I'm all up for it. But I also like a good storyline too.

Grimoire
30th Nov 2012, 02:17
[General Forum Guidelines (/go/thread/view/139233/29068965/General_Forum_Guidelines)]

[Please use the search function placed at the top of the forum to see if your questions have already been answered. If there happens to be a thread with similar topics, please divert your questions to that particular thread.]

na.square-enix.com/go/thread/view/139235... (/go/thread/view/139235/29256199/Can_Anyone_Truly_Tell_Me_What_Final_Fantasy_IsMeans?post_id=526384475#526384475)

na.square-enix.com/go/thread/view/139235... (/go/thread/view/139235/29210603/What_should_have_a_good_Final_Fantasy?post_id=526384483#526384483)

Stealth4k
30th Nov 2012, 06:49
omg the series really is dead if thats what they think

Grimoire
2nd Dec 2012, 06:31
The FINAL FANTASY series is far from dead. Upcoming titles: FFXIV A Realm Reborn, FFXIII Lightning Returns, FF Airborne Brigade, FFXGREE, FFTCG Chapter VIII...etc. Oh, I almost forgot: FF Versus XIII.

FatSqueek
2nd Dec 2012, 11:29
Let's not forget Type-0 there mate!

Grimoire
2nd Dec 2012, 13:52
True. Didn't even cross my mind since it's been out in Japan for more than a year though.

akjhu_
27th Dec 2012, 21:04
I really wish it were...

story

story

story

story

story