PDA

View Full Version : Interview with Ignacio Perez Dolset

Mike_B
5th Aug 2002, 15:58
[Ignacio] - Ignacio Perez Dolset (Pyro Studios)
[Yurg] - Yuri Bushin (Freelancer)

[Yurg] Hi! To start off, please tell our readers a bit about yourself, your job at Pyro Studios.

[Ignacio] I am Pyro Studios founder and Chief Executive officer. I worked as Commandos: Behind Enemy Lines designer and now I am working as designer on Commandos 3.

[Yurg] What key factors, in your opinion, were crucial in establishing the series' success? Is Commandos 3 aimed at the same market as two previous games?

[Ignacio] I think that Commandos has brought to gamers a new gaming style creating a new genre of gameplay and all that with state of the art graphics. Obviously Commandos 3 is aimed to Commandos fans although we expect to attract new gamers.

[Yurg] If it is possible, reveal us some info on where and when action will take place? Is there a solid storyline or the game will consist of several non-interrelated episodes?

[Ignacio] The game will have a very solid storyline. Indeed there will not be the traditional mission scheme. The game will have three stories or chapters which will take the players through different scenarios and with lots of things happening in between. There will be some traditional Commandos scenarios like Normandy but also some new like Stalingrad or Berlin.

[Yurg] We tried as hard as we could, but we didn't see any Soviet forces in both Commandos installments. Will this situation change in the upcoming sequel?

[Ignacio] One of Commandos 3 episodes will take place in Russia with Allied soldiers fighting in Stalingrad.

[Yurg] What changes would you like to introduce in Commandos 3?

[Ignacio] There will be many changes in Commandos 3. It will be more action oriented with lots of action parts although keeping also some of the Commandos classic gameplay.

[Yurg] Please tell our readers about the new engine's capabilities. We saw the jaw-dropping E3 movie - it was simply awesome! What key innovations are to be expected in the game?

[Ignacio] We are improving the engine we had to allow us to do lots of new things. There will be a completely new lightning and particle engines which will allow us to do nice looking explosions, fires, weather effects, etc. There will be lots of new additions, with beautiful cinematic, trains in motion, etc.

[Yurg] There are a lot of debates amongst fans concerning the question whether or not the game will use old "2D pre-rendered backgrounds technique or enter a fully three-dimensional environment?

[Ignacio] Not really. For us it would be much easier to jump into a full 3D scenario but that would not allow us to deliver the graphical quality we are aiming to and that our fans are expecting.

[Yurg] What characters - both old and brand-new - will fight against Nazis?

[Ignacio] There will not be any new characters in the game. Indeed some of them are going to take holidays in Commandos 3. We want less Commandos but more powerful this time. There will also be some enemy bosses which will be something new on the Commandos series.

[Yurg] What changes will affect the characters? Are there new skills and abilities in store for us?

[Ignacio] There will be some new skills, vehicles and weapons for our characters which we can not revealed yet. Sorry.

[Yurg] In the aforementioned E3 trailer we saw action taking place on board a moving train. This is a really sweet new feature for tactics strategy genre. We look forward to play this mission. Tell us, how will it play out?

[Ignacio] The Commandos will have to take control of the train. For that they will have to eliminate all Nazi soldiers controlling it but they are outnumbered and the Nazis are expecting them so it will not be an easy task.

[Yurg] Do you plan to increase number of available weapons and gadgets? What is the most interesting addition to the arsenal of our heroes?

[Ignacio] There will be some new addictions to the arsenal as I mentioned before. Some of the new explosives and cannons are going to be very spectacular.

[Yurg] We hope to see new types of enemies, such as elite brigade troops and bosses. Please, give us a hint on what's to expect!

[Ignacio] This will be one of the major changes in Commandos 3 with lots of different enemies with different skills and resistance. There will be SS soldiers, paratroopers, elite soldiers and even Gestapo agents.

[Yurg] The trailer showed an impressive city bombardment sequence. Does this mean the new engine is capable of handling fully 3D destructible buildings in real-time or such scenes are scripted?

[Ignacio] Some of the scenes will be scripted and some will happen in real time. Wait to see more on our next trailer!!!

[Yurg] What feature of Commandos 3 do you find most interesting, and why?

[Ignacio] Gameplay. I think that this will be by far the most intense game in the Commandos series. The player will be transported from one situation into the next with lots of changes in gameplay style.

[Yurg] How important is a good AI for success of the Commandos series? Are any changes to be expected in the third game?

[Ignacio] There was a big improvement in the AI between Commandos and Commandos 2. We expect to make a similar change now.

[Yurg] Will we see Deathmatch in Commandos 3 or some other kind of network game?

[Ignacio] There will be Deathmatch in Commandos 3. We are testing in Pyro different modes for Deathmatch and we are having lots of fun.

[Yurg] A tricky question: while working on C3, do you think about making a fourth installment of this series? ;)

[Ignacio] This will be the last of this type of Commandos games. There will be a new Commandos game in the future but it will be a completely different type of game.

[Yurg] The music of Commandos became more and more beautiful with each game. Who is currently doing music for the game?

[Ignacio] Mateo Pascual is the Composer of Commandos 2 music he is also working on Commandos 3 music but also in Praetorians and Heart of Stone.

[Yurg] Sound effects are very important for every serious Commandos player. Do you plan to implement the latest audio technologies, such as Dolby Digital or EAX Advanced HD?

[Ignacio] We are looking into it but there is nothing decided yet.

[Yurg] And the last one: what is current expected release date? We heart it's now Summer 2003. Is it we right?

[Ignacio] Yes.

[Yurg] Many thanks for your answers! We wish you good luck and are looking forward to news concerning your project!

source TAFN (http://commandos2.gamerspulse.com) & freelancer (http://www.freelancer.ag.ru/interview/com3_eng.shtml)

1shot1kill
5th Aug 2002, 16:05
hmm, someone should tell that guy that not all Germans were Nazi's in WW2.

DudeItsMe
5th Aug 2002, 18:13
Please post where to find this trailer you speak of. I horde them :)

Mike_B
5th Aug 2002, 18:46
Originally posted by DudeItsMe
Please post where to find this trailer you speak of. I horde them :)

The only trailer available is this (http://www.pyrostudios.com/english/download/commandos3/comm3.htm) one, the one he's speaking of isn't out yet.

Xcom
5th Aug 2002, 19:03
Most interesting. I wonder what he means by totally new Commandos game? FPS?

Mack the Knife
5th Aug 2002, 19:26
not all Germans were Nazi's in WW2
well, with hindsight we can make that distinction now but to those who lived and died during that period, all of germany was the enemy, period.

new Commandos game?
i know, this sorta bothers me: "keeping also some of the Commandos classic gameplay"

DudeItsMe
5th Aug 2002, 22:00
Souns like Commandos are going Hero style.

1shot1kill
5th Aug 2002, 23:59
Originally posted by Mack the Knife

well, with hindsight we can make that distinction now but to those who lived and died during that period, all of germany was the enemy, period.

Yes, but he was talking about the enemy as 'the Nazi's' which only a very small part of the german population were, so he shouldn't, period.

Xcom
6th Aug 2002, 03:27
shot, you again are saying complete nonsense. He is simply referring to the enemy as nazis and by that he is actually completely right. I would rather have him say "eliminate nazis" (which he did) rather than "eliminate germans".

DudeItsMe
6th Aug 2002, 04:04
In the entire time I played Commandos I don't think I killed anyone that was not a Nazi.

Mack the Knife
6th Aug 2002, 14:38
again are saying complete nonsense
touche...but i would tone it down from nonsense to naive. but, in reality, she'll have to get the last word in and argue this ridiculous point until everyone else gives up.

Twitch
6th Aug 2002, 15:14
Curious about C3 being last Commandos-style scenario but typical of software entertainment companies. I Interviewed the producer of Star Trek Armada before STA 2 came out and they feel the same way almost word for word. Seems after a good run of 2 or 3 they want to do something similar but different.

Senor Perez is a fellow about 40-45 years of age and most of us "old guys" generally speak in terms of "the Nazis." You can be sure he knows quite well that generally officers were Party members but the average grunt was not. Officers were interested in progressing in rank and Party membership helped assure that. Most of the SS were Party members though most of the Luftwaffe was not.

1shot1kill
6th Aug 2002, 17:04
Originally posted by Xcom
shot, you again are saying complete nonsense. He is simply referring to the enemy as nazis and by that he is actually completely right. I would rather have him say "eliminate nazis" (which he did) rather than "eliminate germans".

This is not complete nonsense, the german army were the axis forces, less than 1% of the german population were actually nazi's and the same counted for their army, if you don't believe it go check out the DoD forums for instance, calling the axis side nazi's is almost forbidden there and you will get flamed for doing so, because the average german soldier in WW2 was not a nazi, so it is wrong to call them nazi's. The only people who you can call nazi's were the people who were a member of the nazi party.

Xcom
6th Aug 2002, 17:40
Originally posted by 1shot1kill

This is not complete nonsense, the german army were the axis forces, less than 1% of the german population were actually nazi's and the same counted for their army, if you don't believe it go check out the DoD forums for instance, calling the axis side nazi's is almost forbidden there and you will get flamed for doing so, because the average german soldier in WW2 was not a nazi, so it is wrong to call them nazi's. The only people who you can call nazi's were the people who were a member of the nazi party.

YES, you are right that not all germans were nazis BUT what in the world does this information has to do with the article and Ignacio's remarks???? How else, in your opinion, should he call the enemies in Commandos?

Mack the Knife
6th Aug 2002, 18:41
you are undoubtedly the most obnoxious person i've ever had the displeasure of dealing with on the net. nowhere fool, nowhere did i say all germans were nazis. you're stewed little mind thinks what it wants and it's often misguided but the world went to war against nazi germany and all i said was at that time the world regarded the whole of germany as nazi germany. for christ sake, a freaking caterpillar knows not all germans were nazi's you baffoon! the ONLY reason i'd ever want to meet you would be to slap you about the head numerous times...the guy's a nut case!

1shot1kill
7th Aug 2002, 01:47
Originally posted by Xcom

YES, you are right that not all germans were nazis BUT what in the world does this information has to do with the article and Ignacio's remarks???? How else, in your opinion, should he call the enemies in Commandos?

The Axis, jeez what the hell is wrong with you people? I thought you all had history classes when you were in school, but you didn't pay attention i see. The soldiers you fight in Commandos are not nazi's, only the members of the nazi party were nazi's, very very few german soldiers were actually nazi's, therefore he should not refer to them as nazi's in the interview but simply axis forces or germans.

And mack you said i was wrong about saying not all germans were nazi's and that Germany was the enemy, yes they were the enemy but they were not all nazi's, it's like calling a bar with 100 people in it of whcih 1 is drunk a bar full of drunks.

Mack the Knife
7th Aug 2002, 02:22

notice that i never said you said any freaking thing! notice too that i said "those who lived and died during that period" thought that way!!! notice that i never said this was my opinion!!! and i'm happy to be who i am.

<edit>
x and @m - sorry, but don't close this.

Mike_B
7th Aug 2002, 15:13
<edit>

It will -as you can see- remain open, only gonna clean up the mess. Now the both of you have finally have to stop this nonsense, i've said this before but the first one of you who starts arguing next time, will be banned immediatly.

Now, let's get back on topic...

I think the new commandos game (after C3) will be something like an fps, third person, though I rather have they make a C4 the way it is now then a complete new kind of game.

Twitch
7th Aug 2002, 16:20
1shot is correct in the statement about most Germans not being affiliated with the Nazi Party. The fact remains that we can't project 2002 political correctness to 1939-45 without being bankrupt in our attempt. During the era all Germans were referred to a "Nazis." The Brits called them "Jerry" and the Americans called them "Krauts" as well. They referred to the Brits as "Tommies" and the Americans as "Amis." The Japanese was shortened to "Japs." All language speakers love to shorten names.

Since Adolph Hitler personified the Nazi Party which ruled Germany and brought war to Europe and the world it was a simple route to equate all Germans as "Nazis." Condeming this 1940 logic with 2002 mindset is as wrong as damning the use of asbestos and lead paint 70 years ago when the health hazards were unknown.

A goodly number of the German officers were members of the Nazi Party even if joining was not for philosophical reasons. Most joined to garner career advancement. The German military was organized with officers directing the action. Unlike American Sargeants who would re-organize a platoon or squad and plan a maneuver after the captain and leiutenant was killed, the German organizational dictum precluded non-coms from acting on their own independently.

I grew up in the 1950s and most folks were accustomed to using the phrase "Nazi" to mean the combantant German military as a whole. We also referred to the Cold War foes as "Commies." Sure most Soviet and Chinese citizens were not Communist Party members but that didn't matter. The language phrase lumped the Communist LED military forces together in one word.

Señor Dolcet is not incorrect in his phrasing as he, and I, are comtemporary of a certain era that used the phrase to encompass all beligerent German military forces. People born at the dawn of aviation called airplanes, aeroplanes, and continued to do so after airplane was the mainstream word.

And the French Resistance or Underground is an example of assumptions too. Fewer that 10% of the French people were actively involved in it. Today we incorrectly imagine 90% actively thwarting the "Nazi" war machine.

When I was in Vietnam the Viet Cong was "Charlie." We knew all folks weren't VC just as most guys in WW 2 knew most Germans weren't Nazis. In all wars they're just a bunch of kids led astray by corrupt political radicals.

This whole thread is curious. After exciting insight to the new C3 the only item noticed was the colloqualism "Nazi."

Xcom
7th Aug 2002, 16:25
Originally posted by 1shot1kill
therefore he should not refer to them as nazi's in the interview but simply axis forces or germans
Why the hell not?
This kind of political/historical correctness is totally unnecessary in this case. As far as Commandos game goes, enemy=nazis. This is a simple generalisation, a term used to address the enemy.

Np, I wasn't going to. ;)

Twitch
7th Aug 2002, 16:38
Any military force is at the command of the controlling government and is an extension of that government's philosphy whether the rank and file soldier agrees with it or not. By participation alone the German soldier helped propagate Nazism.

I left these boards last year cause a certian know-it-all jumped on evrything evryone said about any part of any mission always saying the person was wrong in their game action as it would "lower their score." Who cares? Some just play for the challenge of the missions. Is anyone who had C2 since it came out anally still trying to get little little pixel representations of their big time rank or cutesy medals?

NOW BACK TO THE INTERVIEW TOPIC-
I like the train idea in one mission.

Mack the Knife
7th Aug 2002, 19:39
most Germans not being affiliated with the Nazi Party
a no brainer for anyone evolved beyond circus animal

During the era all Germans were referred to a "Nazis."
a repeat of what i already said

curious...only item noticed
a side effect of letting the simple minded post here :D

only item noticed
more aptly "only item discussed". x and i were curious about game play changes for C3 and beyond

Twitch
7th Aug 2002, 21:39
Mack- almost nobody said anything about C3. I can visualize a cool bunch of Berlin buildings. And the weather effect will probably incluse some more snow. I'd like to see at least one longer night mission. Still no word on who is getting deleted in the squad. Curious about the "enemy bosses" he refers to. Hey maybe they'll be able to bust Hitler's bunker in Berlin and slice him up! :D

Mack the Knife
7th Aug 2002, 21:52
we discussed who'd be gone in another thread. ick loves natasha (or was it yak?) so he wants her to stay. you know them greeks! :D. the reasoning was the stalingrad episode and she being from the ukraine. that's bunk. lupin, the mutt, the rat and natasha will be gone in my opinion - who needs 'em? if you want to lipstick someone to death get a barbie game.

also, we saw snow in BEL but bring it back! rain too and mud tracks.

and finally, i'm just glad they didn't go 3D and screw up the beeeeeautiful renderings. when they go 3D and FPS i'll be gone. you columbine wannbes can have that stuff.

1shot1kill
7th Aug 2002, 22:22
Fact remains that calling the enemy in Commandos nazi's is wrong as less than 1% of them was actually a nazi, in ww2 the germans were mostly refered to as krauts by english speaking countries in ww2, when they used nazi's they meant the actualy people supporting that party, there has been someone posting the perfect explaination why you can't call them nazi's on the DoD boards i will look for it if it is still there as it probably was before they got a new forum. Xcom said what else should he call the enmies in Commandos? well how about germans or axis forces, like we all have been doing here in the past few months, als if nazi was the correct word why does every ww2 game out there call the german side axis? Also forum rules here say it is not allowed to insult, well some german people are still insulted when their parents or grandparents are related to nazi's, so it's only right to not call them nazi's.

Mack the Knife
7th Aug 2002, 22:54
alright, think what you want and others are entitled the same privilege. you've said your peace, we all read it. now just shut up about it.

David
8th Aug 2002, 05:01
In the entire time I played Commandos I don't think I killed anyone that was not a Nazi.
didnt you killed those civilians in coldiz castle?lol

Twitch
9th Aug 2002, 16:22
Yeah Mack- I've never used the dog except sometimes in Paris for Spooky & Natasha to load up their haul and send it back to the others. I've never used the rat. Natasha, I donno. Since she can use the sniper rifle it's useful occassionaly in Paris if you want to do something different but a 2nd spy can be useful to distract 2 enemies at once. Again, not a necessity though. Lupin can run fast which is cool sometimes but like Dolcet said the remaining commandos will be stronger. Fins could easily take Lupins' place. Speed up his run and give him a lock pick and Lupin is outta there.

David- I've never killed any civies in Colditz. You can't kill them. I tried and they have no outline of any color to target them. They run away when trouble starts. ???

Twitch
9th Aug 2002, 16:39
BTW- they need to re-evaluate the equipment you find in certain missions. Sometimes the stuff has absolutely no critical use in the mission you're in. The cigarette stuff I've used a couple times in the training of bonus missions only. The flamethrower is a dud along with the blowtorch.

1shot1kill
9th Aug 2002, 17:57

As i already mentioned before, less than 1% of the germans was actually a nazi, that includes all the germans in the axis army too.

_________
edit:

Exactly, you have mentioned that before, so let's drop the subject before it gets outta hand.

-Xcom

Yakkalot
9th Aug 2002, 18:12
[Ignacio] There will be many changes in Commandos 3. It will be more action oriented with lots of action parts although keeping also some of the Commandos classic gameplay.

Does that not bother anyone?

By the sounds of it C3 will be heavily dumbed down, not happy jan!

Xcom
9th Aug 2002, 18:19
Originally posted by Yakkalot

Does that not bother anyone?

By the sounds of it C3 will be heavily dumbed down, not happy jan!

Well, it bothers Mack, that's for sure. :D

But we can speculate all we want about what this "change" might be but until we see the game/demo, we won't know for sure. Personally, I think C3 will be less stealth-oriented and more like an action game (like lotsa shooting/blowing up and stuff, kinda like invasion missions in C2)

Mack the Knife
9th Aug 2002, 22:23
Originally posted by Mack like 4 days ago! :D

this sorta bothers me: "keeping also some of the Commandos classic gameplay"

yak never listens to me anyway :D i don't think this means dumbing the game down. actually, i don't know what it means but i hope it doesn't mean a different sytle of game play. they said they're keeping the 2D background so i don't think the games turning first person and the "next" game (not C3 but after C3) will be totally different so again, i'm not sure what it means. me and 1% of germany that are nazi's just didn't like the sound of it.

1shot1kill
12th Aug 2002, 03:03
I just saw Enemy at the Gates for the first time, now i know wat he meant in the previous interview that they are influenced by movies like enemy at the gates, on the first Stalingrad screenshot you see a fountain, which is featured at the start of the movie when Vassili takes out the 5 germans. The trainscene might also come from that movie when Major König arrives. And the factories being destroyed by bombers which you see in the trailer happens in about the same way when they are first encountering König.

Twitch
12th Aug 2002, 18:25
I too hope C3 is not dummed down but rather enhanced in the respects we discussed. It's not bad to do more shooting and blowing stuff up for sure!

They'd realy have to work to make a sniper duel function without being boring and too easy in some respects.

The underground Nordhausen V-2 factory full of slave laborers would be a great mission where you must give uniforms to the captives ala Colditz but without getting plain boring as Colditz does where you scurry around handing out uniforms. Often I just run the main outside stuff in varying ways and just get get to the radio so I can end it sooner.

Mack the Knife
12th Aug 2002, 20:01
sniper duel function
i don't know if they'll present it as a duel in the classical sense, but maybe the commandos would be amidst the ruins of stalingrad searching for this one guy to kill. since natasha is history, duke would be the only one who could take him out and you'd have to be a certain distance to make the shot. the commandos would encounter all the usual obstacles like guards and patrols while searching. BUT, the thing i want to see is a smarter AI with the enemy sniper searching for you as well! the longer you take to find him, the closer he gets to you. somehow you'd have to get hints he was closing in so maybe you could take another route or duck and hide out. if they are going to do anything to enhance or change the game play, make the AI smarter and more reactive to what's going on rather than sit in the same place and chain smoke. :D

1shot1kill
13th Aug 2002, 10:43
I surely hope they take a away that scope you see when a sniper aims at you.

Mack the Knife
13th Aug 2002, 14:52
surely hope they take a away that scope
damn, we agree on something!! :D

Twitch
13th Aug 2002, 14:55
Mack- yep the AI is mostly reactive instead of proactive in Commandos. This generally goes along fine with most commando and ranger missions in real world- elite team accomplishes objective against static target. But we all get a bit bored with that except when in bonus missions the AI is actually proactive in those invasion sequences.

The trouble is to create that you must have the reactive stuff 1st so you can get ready. If we have roving enemies actively seeking the commandos out it could be interesting. Certainly it would make you flub up before you knew what to expect.

Levels of play are too static too. I'd like some more settings within easy-hard-very hard too akin to flight simulations where you can fly on easy but have a very hard flight model and all sorts of mixed settings for difficulty.

Last Id' like to see a new form of "neutralizing" enemies. Like DudeItsMe said he "get satisfaction from killing with his bare (virtual) hands." Only you're not killing, just knocking out. How about a "garrote" key where the commandos use a wire garrote to "neutralize" guys?

iakovos
14th Aug 2002, 11:34
since natasha is history..

Well, you do not know for sure that SHE will not be attending the single Russian mission, now do you?

Anyway, the 4rth commando installment that will not be a strategy game... wow! What then? FPS? I don't think so.
Maybe an RPG style of game.

Iakovos:)

Xcom
14th Aug 2002, 14:48
Originally posted by Twitch
If we have roving enemies actively seeking the commandos out it could be interesting. Certainly it would make you flub up before you knew what to expect.

Yeah, like in Desperados :D

1shot1kill
14th Aug 2002, 17:11
Noooo please don't let them use anything from Desperados. :)