PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone miss Kains cool comments?

Mordred
5th Aug 2002, 14:18
I loved all the coll stuff Kain came out with when u got new items, weapons and spells, or other stuff is u went to your inv.

like the alas poor nupraptor i knew him well....................... well not really.

and the one for Havoc and Malic was cool

And altho after awhile the Vae Victus used to really annoy me, would be nice to see the return of that.

genrally in BO1 the scirpt for Kain was just so cool

warpsavant
5th Aug 2002, 18:03
I personally think Kain is an arrogant idiot and if I met him on the street I would kick his *** so fast....

I also like the dialogue of the SR series way better than the dialogue for the BO series.

Mordred
5th Aug 2002, 18:52
Nah Kain was cool, Raziel is a ponce :)

Midnight of Sevenshades
5th Aug 2002, 19:28
Kain & Raz are both totally different characters and are portrayed as such in the games. I agree that Kain is somewhat of an arrogant sod/a***hole. Raz is arrogant too in his own self righteous way.

I do miss some of the more acidic comments Kain made in the first game, but I am in agreement that the dialogue in SR2 (especially) is outstanding.

TempySmurf
5th Aug 2002, 22:05
You still can't mess with the dialogue that Kain has when he kills umah in BO2. I'd kill to be that cool.

copied from http://www.darkchronicle.co.uk/xbo2script.html

Kain:

We meet again, Umah.
Umah: (breathlessly)

Kain...
Kain:

Yes. Kain.
I thought you were to bring the Sarafan Lord to his knees.
Umah:

I thought...
Umah collapses to the ground.

Kain:

I know.
Kain drops to one knee beside her as she speaks.

Umah:

It seems... I was wrong. I could not carry the fight... alone.
Kain:

You were brave to try.
Umah:

Kain... I'm dying.
Kain:

Yes. You are.
Umah:

I need your blood. Please. You can save me.
Kain bends forward and takes the Nexus Stone back.

Kain:

I know.
Tell me, child. Do you see me ruling Nosgoth?
Umah:

Yes, yes. I see it now.
Kain:

And do you believe that Nosgoth rightly belongs to me?
Umah: (desperately)

I do - I believe it, Kain. Please!
Kain:

... Then you may die, knowing the truth.
Kain strikes Umah with his claws.

Umah: (dying)

No!
Kain:

You should never have betrayed me.
You could have been my queen.
Umah: (dying)

Kain...
Umah dies.

Kain: (quietly)

Now you have left me alone...

Oh yeah!

Umah Bloodomen
5th Aug 2002, 22:49
"Go here. Go there. Do you take me for a dog?"

(To Umah during the training tutorial)

My other favorite is also the Kain/Umah dialogue in Chapter 10 posted above me by TempySmurf.

L_Master562
6th Aug 2002, 05:01
I think the aforementioned speech is truely great and stands more out as well. I miss some things from Bo1 (I play just to hear the words that were said), though I myself also love "GO CHEESE" of Bo2. I wish Vae Victus was in Bo2 (well, besides being in the game data, as in used). It is just so memorable. Even if you hear it so many times in Bo1, I never grew tired of it. So many memorable moments.

willow
6th Aug 2002, 05:32
Well Kain's character changed somewhat... in BO he was slightly more humorous and cynical... by BO2 he's just ruthless.

But do I miss his snide comments? Well yes... but the games also changed... he's no longer on a large quest where he acquires an inventory of items... it's now more of an adventure/action games... as oppose to an action RPG. So most if not all of the dialog now is purely story based... no filler.

TempySmurf
6th Aug 2002, 13:06
Originally posted by willow
Well Kain's character changed somewhat... in BO he was slightly more humorous and cynical... by BO2 he's just ruthless.

But do I miss his snide comments? Well yes... but the games also changed... he's no longer on a large quest where he acquires an inventory of items... it's now more of an adventure/action games... as oppose to an action RPG. So most if not all of the dialog now is purely story based... no filler.

I'll agree with that, I feel like I'm playing Tomb Raider instead of Blood Omen. BO2 is a good game but if you set aside the graphics, none of the other games in the series even come close to Blood Omen. I love the story, but I want good filler as well. What I miss most was the ability to travel around where ever and there was a purpose to travel all around. Going back to get secrets and get to areas that you couldn't get to before because you didn't have the abilities yet (SR1 did this a little bit but they just didn't pull it off right and the forges in SR2 didn't even come close). Not just running back and forth just cause that's how they layed out the map or just having it completely linear like BO2.

I think this just turned into a rant. What I disliked about the SR 1 and 2 is that the fighting was pretty much pointless. SR1 wasn't as bad as SR2 though, at least you had bosses.. You could avoid almost every fight and it didn't matter at all. They even had to force you to fight some of them. It felt like they knew that the fighting wasn't really part of the game, but they wanted to make it sorta hard. You could avoid fights in BO but you didn't really want to. Not to mention the battling system was kinda ackward to begin with. There's plenty of games with the same layout that make the battling more intense and fun to do over and over. So the game was pretty much about solving dorky puzzles. The game play just wasn't very layered. I really don't get too much out of playing SR 1 and 2 over and over. I do it, but mainly for the story or just because I'm bored. BO2 was just too linear. Originating from a Zelda type RGP game, you'd expect that the sequels would follow down the same path. There's fighting and there's something sorta like puzzles, but just to get to the next section and the next section and... The fighting just becomes to forced, it's like the complete opposite of SR. Don't get me wrong, the games are good, better than most, and what game has a better storyline, but I miss the old school BO with its multilayered game play. And my biggest pet peeve is that they were all too short. If I can beat a game in 6 hours, it's not long enough... uh... end rant.

What I'd really love to see is like a combination of all great things in each of the games combined with a more interesting fighting system that competes with the something like the quake, unreal or diablo engines.

Secrets Of Nosgoth
19th Aug 2002, 21:51
Great points, this being my first post, I'd like to say Hello to everybody on this forum.

Anyways, onto the point.

I loved the original Blood Omen, in fact, I'm playing through it again right now. After playing BO2, I felt the need to play something that had more adventure to it. Come to think of it, BO, to me, is probably the best game ever. It had everything, the gothic nature of vampires, crude humor, great dialouge, expansive maps, unforgetable characters, and an impressive soundtrack. OH I'm forgetting the good number of weapons, spells, and different armors, and the commentary on all of the above.

What I miss most (well, not miss since I'm playing BO now), but what the sequels fail at are having numberous cities, and a lack of history behind everything. In BO, I enjoyed coming up to a new city and hearing the history behind it by standing on that red triangle. In SR2, I don't even remember seeing a civilian.

The great things that carried forth to the sequels were the great music (lacking in SR2, but forgave itself with some good music in BO2), and the great dialouge, and original characters.

The coolest part though, was the strength increases from BO. "The blood of ages flows so sweet, come drink from us." "Your strength has increased....Your magic increases more quickly, for our blood enhances."

If a sequel can have a large map, new characters, spirit forges, magic spells, different forms (wolf, bat, mist), castles (Malek's bastion, Nupraptors retreat), plus the great dialouge, characters and music I've come to love, I believe I'd die from being too happy. Along with next gen graphics (don't have to be beautiful, just say, PS2 Contra or Shinobi type graphics), that to make room for the large map of course.

Wow, that's a lot of writing. Anyways, I have a hunch that SR3 will be huge, and will fulfill enough of what I am hoping for.

Umah Bloodomen
19th Aug 2002, 22:44
Originally posted by Secrets Of Nosgoth
Great points, this being my first post, I'd like to say Hello to everybody on this forum.

Hello and welcome to the fourms! :)

Anyways, onto the point.

I loved the original Blood Omen, in fact, I'm playing through it again right now. After playing BO2, I felt the need to play something that had more adventure to it. Come to think of it, BO, to me, is probably the best game ever. It had everything, the gothic nature of vampires, crude humor, great dialouge, expansive maps, unforgetable characters, and an impressive soundtrack. OH I'm forgetting the good number of weapons, spells, and different armors, and the commentary on all of the above.

BO1 is my favorite of the series. I can pretty much second most of what you've said here.

What I miss most (well, not miss since I'm playing BO now), but what the sequels fail at are having numberous cities, and a lack of history behind everything. In BO, I enjoyed coming up to a new city and hearing the history behind it by standing on that red triangle. In SR2, I don't even remember seeing a civilian.

The other games compensate for the populated cities with the secluded locales all around this "new Nosgoth". We've literally seen Nosgoth transform before our eyes. What it once was pre BO1 (in SR2), what it was after BO1/BO2 (in SR1), and a little taste of what it stands to become (in SR2). We've seen it evolve and devolve before our eyes. I think this is great. In SR2 we saw civilians, although they were rogue vampire hunters hell-bent on ridding Nosgoth of the vampire menace. (Compliments of Moebius and his purges). A map for each game (depicting Nosgoth in that time period) would be cool, I would like to see one. As for your "history lesson" I think that this was more than depicted in the SR2 timeline. The games have begun to focus on the moments of play, as opposed to past memories (as in BO1). Raziel discusses the history as he encounters new murals/places etc. so I think that the history is still there, only revealed in a bit different maner.

The great things that carried forth to the sequels were the great music (lacking in SR2, but forgave itself with some good music in BO2), and the great dialouge, and original characters.

SR2 had a good soundtrack. I really enjoyed it. (As did SR1..I have listened to it quite regularly since receiving my copy). It seperated itself from the traditional Blood Omen-esque music. I was and am pleased with them both and know that they are on two different levels of creativitiy.

The coolest part though, was the strength increases from BO. "The blood of ages flows so sweet, come drink from us." "Your strength has increased....Your magic increases more quickly, for our blood enhances."

This was very cool indeed!

If a sequel can have a large map, new characters, spirit forges, magic spells, different forms (wolf, bat, mist), castles (Malek's bastion, Nupraptors retreat), plus the great dialouge, characters and music I've come to love, I believe I'd die from being too happy. Along with next gen graphics (don't have to be beautiful, just say, PS2 Contra or Shinobi type graphics), that to make room for the large map of course.

Um...SR1 had Nupraptor's Retreat in it. (In its ruined state). There has been speculation that Malek's Bastion later became Kain's Mountain Sanctuary or The Silent City. Bat form is no longer necessary following the release of BO2 (when we discovered that all vampires become able to teleport). Mist was in BO2 and could continue within future installments. I am kind of up in the air about wolf form at this point, seeing that they are enabling characters to reach other places (for example scaling cliffsides) by climbing (as in the SR series). I don't think it would be as cool in new games as it was in BO1. As I said earlier, I would like to see a map for everygame (some are even constructing their own around these forums) just to get a better understanding of past landmarks compared to new land changes and formations. To visually (and permanently) account for Nosgoth's changes. Quick, call Rand McNally... :p

Wow, that's a lot of writing. Anyways, I have a hunch that SR3 will be huge, and will fulfill enough of what I am hoping for.

I think that SR3 (and hopefully BO3 if/when) will do the series justice and bring big old smiles to all of our faces in time. :)

Secrets Of Nosgoth
20th Aug 2002, 00:48
I totally forgot that SR1 had Nupraptors retreat in it. And I still can't picture where it was, I let someone borrow my SR1 and never saw it again. As you can imagine it's been awhile since I played SR1. So I'm very much looking forward to the SR/BO Compilation coming out soon. To refresh my memory.

I guess what I think the other games needed were weapons that actually served different purposes. In BO1 you had the mace and axes that were used not just to kill or k.o. people but you could cut down trees or destroy stones. Otherweapons you needed to completely destroy enemies, the fire sword you needed to kill skeletons.

In SR1&2 and BO2, you had a bunch of weapons, all of them did the same thing, cut your enemies up or for the torches sake, burn them.

Oh well, I expect I'll be playing BO, BO2, SR1&2 all again before the year is finished.

On a different note, I have a mispelled Latin phrase in my signature, Kain says it in the Oracle's cave. I think it is Manus Celerdi or celer de, I'm not sure, but I'd be greatful if someone could help me out with the meaning of it. SOmething to do with quick hands, I'm not sure.

Frankmaster
22nd Aug 2002, 03:55
Manus Celer Die = The Swift hand of God (Vorador considered himself to be godlike)