PDA

View Full Version : things that might be cool for t3

[OF] Seferg
2nd Aug 2002, 21:42
would anyone like....
knockouts to be temporary? on missions where your there for hours, maybe the guards wake up?

RiCh
2nd Aug 2002, 22:04
Yep I’d like to see that! Thief becomes very boring when you’ve knockout all the guards. That’s why I like to try and ghost a mission if I have time. It makes it more challenging having the constant danger of the guards all the time. I think it’d be great to see guards slowly getting back to their feet and maybe stagger around for a while hold their heads :D but what would be the time limit of a knockout? That would be the question? 5, 10, 20 mins? Could it be dependant on the strength of the hit?

ChristineS
2nd Aug 2002, 22:08
That's a good idea, I would like it. I have often think about that, nobody would be knockout for hours.... It would make the gameplay harder, and maybe the time for the temporary knockout could be change with the game difficulty settings. One hour for easy, half an hour for hard and 10 minutes for expert. Oh, I would like this....:D

Munin the Raven
3rd Aug 2002, 00:42
When people are sapped they can lapse into comas, suffer strokes, suffer permanent brain and spinal cord injuries, or die. They can black out for less than a minute, hours, or for the rest of their life.

Of course, Garrett's got that magic touch that causes no permanent harm to his "sappees" and of course, they stay out for the rest of the night.

RiCh
3rd Aug 2002, 00:50
Originally posted by Munin the Raven
When people are sapped they can lapse into comas, suffer strokes, suffer permanent brain and spinal cord injuries, or die. They can black out for less than a minute, hours, or for the rest of their life.

I guess this is a classic example of ‘so just how realistic do you want it?’ Realism for sure, but not too realistic it’ll make the game no fun to play…. after all it is only a game :D

I like the difficulty approach in the knockout times Christine…nice one!

ChowYunFat
3rd Aug 2002, 02:11
This is an interesting idea, but not necessarily one I think should be included in the game. Its major effect would be to require you to knock out the same guards over & over again. I don't think that would be fun since it would lengthen the mission & would be very repetitive. Used in a very limited fashion, it could be good though. Say, you bj a guard at the entrance to a section of the map. When you come back, he's woken up & maybe summoned some companions, making exiting that area a whole new challenge.

Fun idea #1--knock out AI's then lock them in closets.
Fun idea #2--carry a knocked out AI to an area with zombies or burricks or some other creatures. Wait nearby till he wakes up & watch the fun!

ChangelingJane
3rd Aug 2002, 04:07
That's the thing, though--once they wake up, they'll most definitely be on high alert, which means you can't knock them out again!

I like this idea a lot. I think that on normal, guards shouldn't wake up again, on hard they should stay unconscious pretty long, and on expert it should be a shorter time.

You could make it so that the guard makes some noise/starts mumbling before they wake up, as a warning. As for hitting them again while they're out, you could have the sap do more damage when they're knocked out, so you'd risk killing them, which would end the mission on expert.

This is all assuming they keep the same difficulty levels, which they might not.

[OF] Seferg
3rd Aug 2002, 13:36
could also have different levels or quality of gas arrows or gas mines. cheaper ones knockout for less time

Zaccheus
5th Aug 2002, 12:27
When I first played Thief-TDP, it took me forever to figure out that they never wake up!
:rolleyes:

[OF] Seferg
6th Aug 2002, 03:45
another thing:
carry over inventory and money from mission to mission. that would inspire careful usage of arrows

Squid
6th Aug 2002, 06:21
Yes, but the idea of loot not carrying over was to prevent forcing a player from having to choose inbetween using the arrow now or the fear that they might need it in the next level. I much prefer not having to worry about whether I need my resources later on in the game.

Squid