PDA

View Full Version : KH spinoffs - Are they worth it?

Mouse99
25th Nov 2012, 19:46
Gosh this is kinda embarrassing since I've only played the mainstream KH games, specifically just 1&2. Just wanted to know if the GBA,DS, and PSP games are worth playing or not?

Leaferian-379423
25th Nov 2012, 21:02
Oi. They aren't actually spinoffs. Each one of the Kingdom Hearts games is important to the storyline, they aren't one shots or their own series. That said, each of the Kingdom Hearts games on the portable systems has its own unique style of play and I found them all to be enjoyable. The only one I'd say might be worth skipping is Re:Coded for the DS, but even that game you'll want to watch the scenes on. Also, the KH 1.5 remix game that's coming out sometime in 2013 (for Japan) will contain KH1 HD, KH Re:Chain of Memories HD, and an extended theatre mode of 358/2 Days from the DS.

In case you plan on asking, when Nomura Tetsuya was asked if there would be a 2.5 mix he said that it "would be strange if there wasn't". If you don't have the handhelds, it might be worth it to wait a few years and play them all on the PS3.

new_tradition
25th Nov 2012, 21:10
Basically what Leaferian said. It actually grinds my gears when people casually dismiss the handheld, or unumbered titles as unimportant. I'm a big fan of the series, so maybe this is just me being too sensitive, but I'm of the mind only people who never actually played the games would think that way.

Also, as I've always said in response, if only the numbered games were all you needed for the full story, the series theoretically ended at KH2 given the conclusive ending, so why keep harping about wanting KH3, eh? ;D

Ryutim
25th Nov 2012, 23:04
I could give you a reason, the games are freaking awsome, so who would want it to end? That said, I don't know why anyone would want to avoid the non-numbered titles, like you guys said, each title has important aspects to add to the story, besides being totally awsome games in and of themselves. The only game I would recommend avoiding is Chain of Memories for the GBA, and that's only because Re:CoM for the ps2 is so much better (and it didn't glitch out on me when I played it like the original CoM did [the deck glitched up so I couldn't add any cards to it, talk about annoying.].).

Keyblader133582
25th Nov 2012, 23:40
well if you havent played them, how wouldja know whats going on, without chain of memories, kh2 would be confusing as hell in my opinion, i found it shocking when they actually, MADE chain of memories for console, it was on gba first, theyll prolly end up doing that for ddd too, after kh3 has been realeased, so if ya wanna know whats going on, then yeah its worth it, but if ya dont wanna buy it, you could just watch all the cutscenes online

Keyblader133582
25th Nov 2012, 23:41
also, they arent spin-offs, they all follow the same storyline

Ryutim
25th Nov 2012, 23:52
I did play Chain of memories, I'm just saying that anyone who hasn't played it should go with Re:Chain of Memories instead since it's so much better.

Asuha
26th Nov 2012, 00:40
Out of the spin-offs, Birth by Sleep is definitely the best one worth playing.

Ryutim
26th Nov 2012, 11:32
I agree.

Keyblader133582
26th Nov 2012, 12:36
ITS NOT SPIN OFF, SPIN OFFS DONT CONTRIBUTE TO THE STORY, ITS A PREQUAL!!!

Mouse99
26th Nov 2012, 16:17
Thank you everybody for your inputs. I'll definitely check out Birth by Sleep and watch videos of the other games.

Keyblader133582
26th Nov 2012, 21:35
Thank you everybody for your inputs. I'll definitely check out Birth by Sleep and watch videos of the other games.

no prob, only bad thing bout birth by sleep is ya gotta have a psp, but its what started kingdom hearts 1, and itll explain why the keyblade wars are going to start over in kh3.

member_10628951
27th Nov 2012, 14:38
It's very important to the entire story that you play these "spin-offs" (I want to stress that I hate that term because these games are far from spin-offs; some people even consider BbS as KH0). Especially Birth by Sleep and 3D. I can see 358/2 days being important too but I would wait until 1.5 HD Remix to watch those.

So in short, if your a real Kingdom Hearts fan and you truly love the KH lore and story you would buy the games.

Ryutim
28th Nov 2012, 00:00
I totally agree.

member_10829610
14th Dec 2012, 02:30
As others have already stated, the best handheld game would have to be Birth By Sleep or Dream Drop Distance in my opinion.

Ryutim
14th Dec 2012, 18:34
Dream Drop Distance was good, but the dream eaters kinda ruined it for me, mainly because all of your abilities were dependant on petting them and stuff, and while that's fine for a game like nintendogs, I didn't buy nintendogs, I bought Kingdom Hearts, y'know.

member_10706996
18th Dec 2012, 23:48
It depends on how much you're willing to devote yourself to a series or if you're just a casual gamer. If you're the latter, KINGDOM HEARTS Birth by Sleep has a great and welcoming introduction to newer fans without too much prior knowledge of past games. Also, even though KINGDOM HEARTS 3D [Dream Drop Distance] jumps right into the confusion, the developers have added a Memento option where you can view the Chronicles or summaries of each KINGDOM HEARTS title previous to it. The glossary also helps define terms you're confused about such as the many variations of "KINGDOM HEARTS" appearing throughout the series.

AliceTwilight
19th Dec 2012, 00:57
I think they're worth it. I mean, they are a continuation of the story and they help you get a better understanding of what's going on.
I know some people who missed on DDD because it's another 'spin off'

Shame really, I think KH3 would probably be confusing for them 'cause they missed out on it.

Ryutim
20th Dec 2012, 17:01
You got that right. Every so-called "spin off" has added something important to the story, even if it wasn't much or was kinda easy to miss, they all added important details to the kingdom hearts universe.

picamaispi29
20th Dec 2012, 18:08
A lot of people confuse handheld with spinoff, but the two aren't the same at all. Days explained about Roxas, Xion, and Axel's motives, Chain of Memories (included because it was a handheld at first an lots of people skipped it for that reason and got comfused by KH2) created a whole plot point where Sora had to go to sleep and introduced Organization XIII, Namine, and Replicas. Birth by Sleep, which can really be counted as KH0 for all intents and purposes, showed the origin of Xehanort and the backstory of both Xehanort and Master Xehanort, revealed more of Xehanort(all of them)'s plan, introduced three more characters for Sora to save, showed that Roxas actually did have a heart, and revealed where Sora and Riku got the ability to use keyblades. Recoded is the only one that could really be called a spinoff, because 90% of the game was unimportant to the overall plot of the story (but it was still really fun) but it still shows Mickey finding out about who Sora needs to save, that Mickey and Yen Sid know where two of the BBS trio are, and the contents of Mickey's letter to Riku, Sora, and Kairi. KH3D, ****don't read any further if you haven't played it yet because this contains ****spoilers****,

has Sora and Riku take the Mark of Mastery exam, with Riku passing and Sora failing, Riku and Sora (or maybe just Riku depending on lots of different factors that are irrevelent to this topic) gain the power to unlock sleeping hearts, which makes it possible to rescue Ven, reveals most of the rest of Xehanort's plan, the fact that nobodies can gain hearts, which Organization XIII did, the existance of sleeping worlds, the existance of time travel, who the "man" in the yellow coat is, the existance of Young Master Xehanort, the existance of the new Organization XIII and the 7 lights and 13 darknesses, showed that Riku finally stopped feeling guilty for the darkness and is now immune to the darkness, and revealed that when your nobody and heartless die you come back as a whole person. ****end spoilers**** All of these "spinoffs" reveal many plot-related things. Almost all spinoffs have no effect of the plot and are "alternate timeline". These aren't spinoffs and are well worth getting. If you don't get them, or at least watch them or read about them, you're going to be really confused come KH3. And besides, even if they were spinoffs, they are great fun to play and are worth getting for that reason alone.

Ryutim
22nd Dec 2012, 01:29
I agree completely. Although there's one point that I'd like to add. *Spoiler Warning* In Re:coded, you find out that sora's heartless lived on without him, even if it was only by hiding inside the journal, which implies some things about how the KH universe works, as well as the nature of the heartless, nobodies, and so on, and although this is all common knowledge now (well, we've talked about this before in these forums, but it's also pretty clear to anyone who studies KH lore, though maybe not to the casual gamer), it was pretty big news when I first played the game. Also, the fact that Maleficent is so eager to have the data of all the worlds, probably means that it'll become a big factor later on in the series, although I'm not sure how.

edward.busch.18
3rd Feb 2013, 19:44
Gosh this is kinda embarrassing since I've only played the mainstream KH games, specifically just 1&2. Just wanted to know if the GBA,DS, and PSP games are worth playing or not?

Well the ONLY game i didnt enjoy was Re:coded for the DS... the story was lacking and it didnt seem very important to the overall plot. Chain of memories was ok on the GBA but the RE:chain of memories for the PS2 was better of course cuz ya had 3d models and i think it was the first game to include Theatre mode... KH2 is the King of ALL the Kingdom hearts games as far as story/ gameplay.... Dream Drop was entertaining and crucial for the story devolpment as well as Birth by Sleep which rings in as a tie for my 2nd place KH games next to KH2.... Birth by sleep had 3 storylines to play through and i hope its that way for KH3 and the 7 weilders of light

tflores
6th Feb 2013, 17:35
Oi. They aren't actually spinoffs. Each one of the Kingdom Hearts games is important to the storyline, they aren't one shots or their own series. That said, each of the Kingdom Hearts games on the portable systems has its own unique style of play and I found them all to be enjoyable. The only one I'd say might be worth skipping is Re:Coded for the DS, but even that game you'll want to watch the scenes on. Also, the KH 1.5 remix game that's coming out sometime in 2013 (for Japan) will contain KH1 HD, KH Re:Chain of Memories HD, and an extended theatre mode of 358/2 Days from the DS.

In case you plan on asking, when Nomura Tetsuya was asked if there would be a 2.5 mix he said that it "would be strange if there wasn't". If you don't have the handhelds, it might be worth it to wait a few years and play them all on the PS3.

isnt kh one hd also the final mix or are we still being jipped

Leaferian-379423
6th Feb 2013, 17:41

isnt kh one hd also the final mix or are we still being jipped

The Kingdom Hearts 1.5 HD ReMix has Kingdom Hearts Final Mix, yes. That collection hasn't been announced for North America or Europe yet, though, so I suppose we'll just have to see what happens.

edward.busch.18
7th Feb 2013, 08:41
@ Leaferian (http://na.square-enix.com/192602437) Thats true they are not spinoffs... its like a Huge story spanning multiple systems so it can be told! The more you follow the easier it is to get involved with its unbelievable plot....crazy good story and chacter development!