PDA

View Full Version : Possible Thief 2 Fan Missions to replace 2 Original Missions

RichAsWell
2nd Aug 2002, 07:00
I'm suprised no one has said this yet or done this yet. But I was thinking after playing Thief 2 that Casing and Masks were totally just thrown in there. Personally, I never understood it. I mean if we want to know how masked servants work why the heck would we just retrieve a mask (and oh yeah stumble on the cultivator too). We should kidnap a masked servant. Heck, I'll do you one better. Have Garrett go to the place where Masked Servants are made (Eastport Seminary?).
My suggestion is this...make 2 new fan missions. The one replacing "Casing the Joint" would have Garrett break into a Mental Hospital where Karras has been getting servant victims (ever since Truart died). Garrett would have to find some info on patient transfers directed by Mechanists, etc. and find out where the Mechanists are taking the patients. After tracking them down the next mission begins.
The second fan mission would of course replace "Masks". This mission would have Garrett at the actual place where Masked Servants are made. My guess is that they're made at Eastport Seminary, but I highly doubt they're all made in that tiny shack. Karras probably has an underground facility where more servants are produced - probably mass production - I'm sure Karras won't stop with destroying everyone in the City, probably would do the same thing to other cities as well. This would be very interesting because we'd be able to see how Servants are made. This would help in Garrett to understand what the heck is going on. Also, one of the objectives would be to kidnap one of the finished Servants and possibly find some books describing how the cultivators and masks work together and return to a Pagan safehouse. Later, of course, as the cutscene in T2 shows Viktoria figures out how the Servants work, etc.
This personally makes more sense to me.
If any one agrees and wants to make a fan mission for both of those ideas - knock your socks off. I don't make fan missions, never have, and certainly don't want to.

Just my 2 cents though.
Cheers

theBlackman
2nd Aug 2002, 07:12
Rich,

You missed the point. The MASKS you are stealing in the MASK mission are ancient art objects made by the precursors. These are like Mayan, or Aztec ceremonial masks or other such treasures.

They have nothing to do with Karras and his "servants" the Cultivator, however does. But the Masks in MASKS and the Cultivator in MASKS have nothing to do with each other.

The antigue masks are valuable artifacts and objects of the artisty of the Precusor craftsmen.

Zaccheus
2nd Aug 2002, 08:11
It's still a nice idea to redo the missions properly.
You could modify the existing missions and spice them up a bit.

Huntress
2nd Aug 2002, 20:13
but then Karras got the bright idea of how to use them in his quest...yes? I think this is a super idea and a good story to play out...somebody do it...PLEASSSE? :) Just another new Scripture to find regarding this turn of events...not so difficult to incorporate this misuse of the Masks in his evil plans...Mmmwahahahah! :D Go for it...Ta and Good Hunting!

ChowYunFat
3rd Aug 2002, 02:15
I like the idea, but the plotline of T2 is probably unsalvageable. ;)

I'd replace Soulforge too, preferably with a mission in which Garrett actually gets to have some kind of contact with Karras.

clayman
3rd Aug 2002, 16:02
I would suggest a variation of the above : Put something between Casing and Masks that is a somewhat straightforward B&E type, then scrap Soulforge in favor of a confrontational mission with Karras as suggested. Right now, I would nominate Errand Boy as a worthy insertion between Casing and Masks. It is at or above the quality level of the OMs, and its plot is vanilla/flexible enough to allow a plot-smith to add some hooks in that make the story cohesive with the whole. Not that that matters much to me, but you folks that hang on the meaning of it all might need it. ;) :)

Odd that I stumbled on this thread.....as I have been making my way through the FMs, I've been thinking that there are more than a few that could easily be inserted into the OM storyline or even replace inferior OMs. This business of only one or two FMs getting the elusive "Gold Hammer", which indicates a mission on par or superior to the OMs, is bullspit. There are at least 10 that I know of of, and maybe more. :)

Munin the Raven
3rd Aug 2002, 18:35
...Put something between Casing and Masks...

"More Time to Foil Karras", which I believe was the first Thief II FM released at The Circle, was designed with this intention, to fill the obvious gap between Casing and Masks.

Komag
3rd Aug 2002, 19:45
Originally posted by ChowYunFat
I'd replace Soulforge too, preferably with a mission in which Garrett actually gets to have some kind of contact with Karras.

But the WHOLE idea behind the Thief games is that Garrett accomplishes his goals WITHOUT direct contact with the big bad guys, like the Trickster, Truart, Karras, etc.

clayman
3rd Aug 2002, 19:55
Originally posted by Munin the Raven

"More Time to Foil Karras", which I believe was the first Thief II FM released at The Circle, was designed with this intention, to fill the obvious gap between Casing and Masks.

I thought Waterlogged was first, and a better mission. And I didn't care for More Time, even though its "Mission 14b" intentions were good. Another oddity along this line of thought is that three of the first few T2 FMs all used gala trophies, water, showers, etc. in their plotline and objectives. Waterlogged, Bathhouse, and Stowaway. Conspiracy or coincidence ? :)

Komag
3rd Aug 2002, 22:50
Originally posted by clayman

Another oddity along this line of thought is that three of the first few T2 FMs all used gala trophies, water, showers, etc. in their plotline and objectives. Waterlogged, Bathhouse, and Stowaway. Conspiracy or coincidence ? :)

The Circle was hosting a big contest with a set plotline and objectives, etc, and those were the three entries. The contest fell apart though (there were more parts to it) and thus we have those three missions which are the same but different :)

clayman
3rd Aug 2002, 23:43
Well, that explains that. You learn something new every day. :)

Gumdrop
5th Aug 2002, 12:35
Bah...Forget Casing & Masks. What we really need to do is drop Bonehoard and slide in a nice genteel job set in a botanical garden!

*sniff*

Ahh...Just think of the pale moon casting it's cool light down through the exotic fauna - Strelitzia nicolai, Clerodendrum quadriloculare, or the rare Pachira Aquatica providing the perfect cover for our anti-hero, as he creeps along through the quaint winding paths, the smell of the Cananga odorata caressing his sences. :o

*shakes head* :confused:

Yikes! I'm layin' off the 'shrooms for good this time! :eek: