PDA

View Full Version : TR first person shooter

LarzBritsh
2nd Aug 2002, 04:07
I took this shot, and i wondered what TR would look like through first person. What would it be like to kill enemies in TR through 1st person? or do regular TR stuff, but through first person. Would TR still be fun or exciting to you?

http://www.angelfire.com/empire/larazade/firstpersonuzis.txt

AOD510123
2nd Aug 2002, 04:14
I think it would be very cool to have it in first person. Very exciting for me because you get to see all the action.

LaraAngelOfDarkness
2nd Aug 2002, 06:24
Could be fun. :rolleyes: But, i would miss looking at Miss Croft. :(

DaveJ
2nd Aug 2002, 07:44
It would be nice if it switched to first person for combat moments, and reverted to 3rd person for exploring.

TechImmortal
2nd Aug 2002, 08:10
Imagine the spinning view while doing one of those midair flips, in first person....

Nybis
2nd Aug 2002, 09:44
I have always prefered the third person view. In all situations. You get a better overview of the area with the following camera.
I have never been to fond of first person shooters.
Turning Tomb Raider into a first person game would ruin the experience for me.
A good alternative is the option to choose what you prefer.. So those who like the first person view can have that, and people like me can have the third person view.
That could work, don't you think?

John Carter
2nd Aug 2002, 11:24
The last 1st person shooter I sorta enjoyed was Star Trek Elite Force. The only other one I ever liked was Doom II.

TR is a character-driven game. In a first person-shooter, IMO, the character is always "me". In a third-person game, "I" am along for the ride with a character I enjoy. If "I" want to shoot stuff by myself, I'll just go out to the range and do it for real at paper or metal targets.

JohnnyZ
2nd Aug 2002, 11:30
i dont like first person games and would hate TR to beome a first person game, i could put up with it for maybe like one level but any more and it would spoil the game for me :)

shanedj
2nd Aug 2002, 12:35
Just think though if lara is shimmying along a ledge she sees wall! what is a ledge she needs is behing her how you guna see it!

leave it as it is original is best!

LARAMANIAC
2nd Aug 2002, 12:53
Isn't that changing the whole concept of Tomb Raider???? Not for me thank you!!!! http://pages.prodigy.net/rogerlori1/emoticons/dontknow.gif

whitemetal
2nd Aug 2002, 14:45
Your correct Laramaniac it wouldn't have the body control enjoyed so much in the current format.
BTW Laramaniac i like your new sigs & smileys , very clever indeed:)

thanhkim
2nd Aug 2002, 15:44
No I don't think first person in TR I always feel like I'm on the adventure with Lara. I'd miss Lara.

LARAMANIAC
2nd Aug 2002, 16:15
Originally posted by White Metal
Your correct Laramaniac it wouldn't have the body control enjoyed so much in the current format.
BTW Laramaniac i like your new sigs & smileys , very clever indeed:)

Why thank you kind sir!!!!http://pages.prodigy.net/rogerlori1/emoticons/blush4.gif
although I must admit they are not really "mine" - got them from a smilies website but I have really fallen in love with the cute little guys!! LOL I don't get out much these days!!!!

LarzBritsh
2nd Aug 2002, 17:36
I guess TR is ment to be a 3rd person game. After all, it is what it's known for.

But it would be cool to have a feature to switch to first person, so you can see what it would be like to chloroform someone in first person.

the_internet_king
2nd Aug 2002, 20:23
yer like metal gear solid but i would prefer tr 2 b third person it would be well boring in first person.......its ussaly games wre u have 2 go round killin lots of people with no stratagy behind then but tomb raider just 'aint that style

DaveJ
3rd Aug 2002, 07:59
Sometimes it is.

But not always.

Some of the best games are FPS.

Medal of Honour: Allied Assault
Halo
Elite Force
No One Lives Forever
and many more.....

3rd person is for playing as a character...1st person makes YOU the star.

If auto-aim can be disabled, and switching to 1st person in combat is enabled (like in Project Eden) then I'm all for it.

Auto-aim? Pah!

LarzBritsh
3rd Aug 2002, 16:05
NOLF is NOT a simple FPS.

Tons of character interaction, sneaking, hiding, making choices.
and NOLF promises to be even better with incredibly realistic ai.

TechImmortal
4th Aug 2002, 00:40
Originally posted by LarzBritsh
NOLF is NOT a simple FPS.

Tons of character interaction, sneaking, hiding, making choices.
and NOLF promises to be even better with incredibly realistic ai.

This is all true, and for a really good first-person experience, check out Deus Ex :)

SMG
4th Aug 2002, 02:30
John Carter pretty much nailed it on the head with his comment.

Core Design said that they decided to make the main character of Tomb Raider female, to give gamers a closer connection with the character, and wanted the gamer to feel motivated to look out for her and make sure she gets through the ordeal in one piece. 3rd-person is good for that purpose, not to mention that it's fun seeing all the acrobatics.

First-person = immersion. The goal of first-person is immersing the player into the world. Not all first-person games are Doom style "run-and-gun" games that have no goal but to collect keycards and kill whatever moves.

Here are 2 first-person games by Looking Glass Studios, I found this from PC Gamer's top 100 list...
System Shock 2...Some games make you jump, some manage to give you a few thrilling little scares: System Shock 2 managed to tattoo horror directly onto our minds - this has to be one of the most tense, most exciting games ever to grace the PC. The constant atmosphere of danger, paranoia and vulnerability left players in a state of near nervous collapse. An excellent multi-pathed structure and huge environmental interaction surprised the FPS genre into change.
Thief II: The Metal Age...Looking Glass' last shout: this is the greatest stealth based experience on Earth. It doesn't just provoke love. It provokes belief.
---

Originally posted by John Carter
In a first person-shooter, IMO, the character is always "me". In a third-person game, "I" am along for the ride with a character I enjoy.
In a lot of cases that's true. Half-Life provides you with a "blank sheet" for you to soil, so the character is you, however, it's not "always" true. Thief has a very strong central-character, the character you play as, and see through the eyes of. It does a very good job of putting you in the shoes of the character.
---
If Tomb Raider was originally first-person, and was as fresh and exciting as it was, we might be against putting it in 3rd-person mode and have the idea that making it 3rd-person would ruin the experience.