PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for PS2 Games?

Lil Lara
1st Aug 2002, 04:09
Hello! I am going to be getting a PS2 soon... hehe.. finally! I've been waiting and wanting it forever. So...can anyone suggest some good PS2 titles? I have some in mind that I want to get...but I'd just like some feed back from you all. And please no PS2 haters...I'm not in the mood to argue!:D :rolleyes:

DaveJ
1st Aug 2002, 07:38
Silent Hill 2.
Metal Gear Solid 2.
Devil May Cry (at a stretch)

Lil Lara
1st Aug 2002, 07:48
Originally posted by DaveJ
Devil May Cry (at a stretch)

At a stretch? Hehehe. what is that supposed to mean? Hehe...isn't that one kinda RPG player kind of? What do you do in that game? Just curious.:D

DaveJ
1st Aug 2002, 08:00
Well....I say at a stretch because it looks great...but you really do just run around and shoot stuff at the end of the day.

Its like a Resident Evil type game...not an RPG ..more a third person shooter.

Lil Lara
1st Aug 2002, 19:22
Oh.. interesting, I don't know why I thought it was an RPG, hehe..

TDC
1st Aug 2002, 20:08
What are your preferences? Sports? Action? Adventure? Driving? RPG? Flight?

cowboy from hell
1st Aug 2002, 20:20
Headhunter, Code Veronica X, Silent Hill 2 (great suggestion DaveJ), Gran Turismo 3 (if your into racing this is one of the best).

Lil Lara
1st Aug 2002, 22:07
Hmm.. thanks to all the suggestions. As to what type of games...umm.. I'm up for almost anything, except I'm not really into RPGs...

rimfire
2nd Aug 2002, 06:16
Hi, I just got a PS2 the other night and am asking the same question, so thanks from me, too.

chloe
2nd Aug 2002, 07:17
please keep your playstation one games with you have them
how about crash bandicoot 4 or portal runner
p.s please don't about portal even know people say it a dumb
it pretty good but it will never beat tomb raider games ..
by i hope you get tomb raider 6 angel of darkness to when
it comes out ...******ps2 rules***

DaveJ
2nd Aug 2002, 07:46
Portal Runner is dumb but great fun! Deliberately dumb I think. :)

I never would've tried it but got it free with another game.

BlueSkiesXXV
2nd Aug 2002, 11:50
My Top 5:

1) Medal Of Honor: Frontline
2) Grand Thef Auto 3
3) ICO
4) Silent Hill 2
5) Metal Gear Solid 2

Then there are so many others such as:
>Resident Evil: CVX
>Deus Ex
>Max Payne
>etc, etc...

YOU HAVE TO PLAY MEDAL OF HONOR :D

TDC
2nd Aug 2002, 12:08
Older games that you should be able to find cheap -
Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance
Ico
Onimusha: Warlords
Splashdown
Some more current choices -
Grand Theft Auto III (definitely given a 'Mature' rating for a reason)
Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy (a little short, but fun)
Maximo: Ghosts to Glory (old school gaming revitalized)
Spider-Man: The Movie (if you liked the movie and/or the PSOne games)
SSX Tricky (snowboarding, lots of tricks and famous voices)
Coming very soon -
Madden NFL 2003 (if you're a fan)
NCAA Football 2003 (if you're a big fan)
NFL Blitz 2003 (less detail, more crazy fun)
The Mark of Kri (don't let the cartoony look fool you)
Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit 2 (quality racing franchise)

JohnnyZ
2nd Aug 2002, 12:38
i suggest:

Crash bandicoot (the wrath of gortex)
Grand turismo 3
Spiderman the movie
Tekken tag tournement
dead or alive 2
:)

TDC
2nd Aug 2002, 14:26
No offense meant, but I recommend against Crash Bandicoot: The Wrath of Cortex. It's a decent Crash game, but the load times were just awful. They seriously hinder the enjoyment level of the game.

babycroft
2nd Aug 2002, 15:15
If you love Tomb Raider, and don't mind a Lara Croft medieval type of character, then...

Drakan: The Ancients' Gates

Survival Horror...

I second Silent Hill 2, the first Silent Hill was excellent, as well.

Action/Adventure:

Spider-man based on the movie, just bought it yesterday, pretty good.

I hear ICO is good, as well.

RPG:

Final Fantasy X stunningly beautiful and enjoyable.

Beat-em-up:

Tekken Tag Tournament coming soon, Tekken 4

If I remember more, I'll post. Happy gaming.

EddyBones
2nd Aug 2002, 16:11
Drakan: The Ancients' Gate
Rune: Viking Warlord
Grand Theft Auto 3 (although it gets boring after a while)
Dynasty Warriors 3(If you like to slash people all day)
Dave Mirra Freestyle BMX 2 (and 3 when it comes out)

whitemetal
2nd Aug 2002, 16:38
Best to borrow or hire the games first, many of the games listed here don't interest me but may you or not, some of those listed cost a fair whack so for a couple of bucks i always try first if i can.

AOD510123
3rd Aug 2002, 02:12
Metal Gear Solid 2, Devil May Cry, Max Payne, ICO, Resident Evil, GTA3, Silent Hill 2, Tekken Tag Tournament are very good games for ps2.

rimfire
3rd Aug 2002, 07:43
"ICO" has been mentioned several times. I've never heard of it. Is that the actual name, or is it short for something.

babycroft
3rd Aug 2002, 13:28
That's the actual name.

Miss Croft
3rd Aug 2002, 20:53
Definitely....

-Grand Theft Auto 3
-Jak and Daxter
-Shadow of Memories
-Res. Evil
-Metal Gear Solid 2: SOL
-Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance (when its out)
-WWE Smackdown 3
-Final Fantasy X
-Silent Hill 2

*goes on for a few years*.....

babycroft
7th Aug 2002, 22:14
I can't believe I forgot to mention Shadow of Memories.

Good game. Only got 2 endings, got tired of replaying, didn't get the last three. Ah, one of these days, I will get the last three endings!

Dark One
7th Aug 2002, 22:46
I didn't read the others so I apologize for repeats.

Final Fantasy X
Dynasty Warriors 3
Dues Ex
*cough*TR6*cough*
Grand Turesmo 3 A-spec
Medal of Honor Frontline
SSX (the first one)
Onimishu
Splashdown
Metal Gear Solid 2
Resident Evil Code Veronica
DOA2

Lil Lara
7th Aug 2002, 23:55
I just bought my PS2 yesterday! Woo Hoo! I am very excited, and now I'm all ready for AOD!!:D

Thanks for everyone's suggestions...I bought GTA3, I wanted to get Crash Bandicoot(whichever is the newest)...but they were all out!:mad: OH well..there are a bunch of other games that I want, and plenty of them are what you guys suggested..too bad I don't have all the money in the world. Heh, the games are way expensive!!

Dark One
7th Aug 2002, 23:58
Just a tip. A lot of places sell used games for cheap. You might look into that.

Les Effant Terrible
14th Aug 2002, 08:19
Grand Theft Auto 3
Resident Evil: Code Veronica
Metal Gear 2:Sons of Liberty (RAIDEN SUX!!! but the game's fun)
SSX
Tekkan Tag Tournament
Jak and Daxter (it's easy but quite fun and the graphics are fantastic)
FFX

Oh, if you want a chick game that's not slutty or anything go with "Oni". It's like a future Lara in the cop business. It's not amazing, but it's okay enough. The graphics are pretty plain but she can do some cool moves and shoots and stuff. And you can taunt your enemies.

Games you're wasting your time with:
Onimusha (it's gets boring pretty fast)

rimfire
14th Aug 2002, 10:09
Hey, that "Crazy Taxi" game turns out to be a lot of fun.

I got "Last Revelation" for Playstation, but it's really difficult to control Lara. How the heck do you make her walk? I have to hold down two buttons at once with my thumb to get her to turn.

VonCroy won the race easily. He could have done it in his wheelchair! I was happy just to get Lara to the end eventually.

After I finally got through the trainer it wouldn't let me save. AARGH! Obviously there are things to be learned about those memory cards, but it looks like you have to have a different card for each game.

TDC
14th Aug 2002, 16:24
Originally posted by rimfire
After I finally got through the trainer it wouldn't let me save. AARGH! Obviously there are things to be learned about those memory cards, but it looks like you have to have a different card for each game. Not at all. You have to have a PSOne memory card for PSOne games. The system will read cards for the PSOne and PS2, you just need one that corresponds to the game you're playing to save properly.

rimfire
14th Aug 2002, 19:07
Thanks, TDC. That explains a lot! I got two memory cards for PS2. I put the DVD software on one, so I'm not sure if you can store games on it, too. I haven't tried, but the point may be moot since I already have a DVD player I like better, and I think both play audio CD's and MP3's as well.

BTW, I just sent an email to Sony suggesting that they make a light colored remote with dark letters so old people can see them, too.

cowboy from hell
14th Aug 2002, 19:41
Just thought I would tell you that I have been playing Project Eden for a couple of days and I love it. It is an Eidos release and it is from the same Core crew that brought us TR 1&2.

DaveJ
14th Aug 2002, 20:08
Played Project Eden on PC about a year ago...it is indeed a great game. I wondered if graphically it was indication of what to expect from TR:AoD?

I'm trading in my (unfinished) copy of FFX... bunch of arse, mate!

And Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance...bigger bunch!

Mgardiner
15th Aug 2002, 03:03
If you love Tomb Raider, you have got to get Drakan 2: The Ancients Gate...like TR only you can fly on a dragons back and stuff lol

Godfather
17th Aug 2002, 13:25
Originally posted by Lil Lara
Hello! I am going to be getting a PS2 soon... hehe.. finally! I've been waiting and wanting it forever. So...can anyone suggest some good PS2 titles?

"Tomb Raider: The Angel of Darkness" :D

rimfire
18th Aug 2002, 04:17
I was at a game store tonight and the "AOD" box was on display, just no disc. Now I wish I'd taken a closer look at it. In fact, I wish I'd had my digital camera to take a picture of it.

Dark One
Just a tip. A lot of places sell used games for cheap. You might look into that.
True. I was at the game store buying Tomb Raider games. (I now have all but Chronicles.) They were only $10 each. They never released the "gold" versions for Playstation, did they?

TDC
18th Aug 2002, 12:19
Originally posted by rimfire
They were only $10 each. They never released the "gold" versions for Playstation, did they? No, never. The only advantage consoles had over pc's is ease of use, but we did miss out on a lot when it comes to the Gold versions and custom levels. (Yes, I know - graphics too, but it's about gameplay for me.)