PDA

View Full Version : ThieveryUT Server is open!

LeatherMan
1st Aug 2002, 00:27
(}{{}THIEF{}}{) is open and ready for taffing. It will be up until approximately 8am EST Thursday. See you there!:D

The server is closed now.

Sneak
1st Aug 2002, 05:54
Is all over now, nobody home right now! :)

Was a fun night guys. Except for some connection probs I had fun as usual.

We shall do it again.

We need more players, jump in there! Leatherman, Vesper, Salvage, Huntress, Hawklette, and TBM were in there. Did I miss someone, I think so?

Thanks again for the server Leatherman. :D

theBlackman
1st Aug 2002, 05:59
Sorry Sneak, I got kicked with one of those "this program...illegal...shutdown... Messages.

As you were the only one there, (that last run was way KEWL DOOOOD) I decided to stay home.

But, like you and Arnie "Ahhll be back!!"

Squid
1st Aug 2002, 06:20
I just got home, so I'll check into it in about 30 minutes or so. Just thought I would post this in case someone wanted to play!

Squid

Gumdrop
1st Aug 2002, 11:42
Ok I'm almost ready. My new copy of UT arrived this morning, and I'm downloading the latest Thievery patch now (actually it's just finished), so after I get it set up and have a fiddle to see what's what, I shall join you...Join you NOOooowww! :D

Zaccheus
1st Aug 2002, 11:55
Zaccheus paces up and down the living room, mumbling to himself:
"Not enough time, not enough time.
Must finish TRC FM, must complete ThiefGold on Expert, must play Thief2 FMs, must get ThieveryUT.
Not enough time, not enough time."
A cat approaches from the kitchen: "Meow", she cries.
"Must feed cat", he thinks.

LeatherMan
1st Aug 2002, 12:24
The server is closed now.

Originally posted by Sneak
We need more players, jump in there! Leatherman, Vesper, Salvage, Huntress, Hawklette, and TBM were in there. Did I miss someone, I think so?
You missed THEthief, Thorin Oakenshield (for one game only), and Bravus. Kidgarrett joined early this morning but left since no-one else was there. I had to shut it down, so try again later Kidgarrett, and bring Apache with you. ;)

The only problem I think I will run into is that the server can only handle 9 outside players (not playing from server) at once.

Come on in when you are ready Gumdrop.

Zaccheus, do you still have a job? :rolleyes:

Squid, maybe you'll have better luck on weekends.:(

Was much fun!!

--
LeatherMan

Zaccheus
1st Aug 2002, 12:29
Originally posted by LeatherMan

Zaccheus, do you still have a job? :rolleyes:

LOL.

Where do you think I'm posting from!
I'm on my lunch break.
:D

Hawklette
1st Aug 2002, 15:07
Thanks for the great time. I see I need more practice but didn't do too bad. It was also fun being a rat (spectator). LOL!!! I'm not sure how to be a guard yet but my instinct says no as I can't go against my Thief nature. Hehehehe!!! I did notice there are some differences when you play solo as in finding the ruby eye. I only had to click to get it in solo. Keep up the good work and let us know when you will be doing this again. What a blast!!!!!!! Could someone email me with anything I need to know like how to whisper etc. Thanks so much for everything!! :D

Sneak
1st Aug 2002, 15:34
OOps, Sorry for the guys I missed. With people coming and going is hard to keep track. I guess what I meant is that I would like to see more people on the map at a time. A bit of team effort. But then 3 or 4 plus AI isn't bad either.

Hawklette,
I thought you did great. I saw you slip away from Leatherman a bunch of times and that is no easy feat. And you set him up for me once real fine! ;)

Actually playing a guard is fun. I at first thought the same way. I am a Thief, a Ghost, so thats how I wanted to play. Guard didn't seem fun. Well this game is a bit different. I was on another server and 1 would click for thief and then we would all sit and wait and wait cuz no one wanted to be a guard. And there would be like 6 or 7 players waiting. So I clicked guard to get the ball rolling. I played guard for maybe 2 and a half hours. Thrilling!

Think of it this way. Thieves are on an Infiltrate and Pilage Mission, Guards are on a Search and Destroy Mission! Fun both ways.

Til next time! :D

Sneak
1st Aug 2002, 15:44
Just a note, there is one thing so far that I don't like about this game. When you wind up to second position for a Blackjacking, the arm obscures part of the screen. I at first thought I would try it for a while before making a judgement. Now I have played a while.

I just don't like that. Hope they change it somewhat in the final version.

Thorin Oakenshield
1st Aug 2002, 18:11
What can I say? I had a great time last night with you taffers:D I only got 160 loot though:rolleyes:
I was only there for the 1 game 'cos my pc decided to crash when map changed:mad: :( Nevermind at least I got to bed before 2 am:D

I'm looking forward to the next time;) Great game, Thanks LeatherMan and Salvage for the tips;) :D

theBlackman
1st Aug 2002, 18:15
Just a note, there is one thing so far that I don't like about this game. When you wind up to second position for a Blackjacking, the arm obscures part of the screen. I at first thought I would try it for a while before making a judgement. Now I have played a while.

Agreed. It makes it hard to "target" the object of your soon to be delivered affection.

theBlackman
1st Aug 2002, 18:17
Originally posted by Zaccheus
Zaccheus paces up and down the living room, mumbling to himself:
"Not enough time, not enough time.
Must finish TRC FM, must complete ThiefGold on Expert, must play Thief2 FMs, must get ThieveryUT.
Not enough time, not enough time."
A cat approaches from the kitchen: "Meow", she cries.
"Must feed cat", he thinks.

LOL

Stile451
1st Aug 2002, 18:31

Actually, I like it, I can get a much more powerful swing if I do it cross body(especially if I turn my body some).

I don't want that to change at all, but I also don't like the arm obscuring the screen, maybe have the player arm a little bit transparent so we can see the unsuspecting victim.

Huntress
1st Aug 2002, 22:24
about the obscurity of the target via the arm to commit the knockout blow...but I, myself haven't really seen this yet? The one time recently I got to do the honors...was LM had doused the torches...and he allowed me to go in...at which point I creeped up behind, positioning myself, stood up and cocked bj for hit, leaned forward and goodnight Mr. Guard. I didn't seem to have any difficulty in hitting my target? I knew exactly where I was going with my blow and didn't seem to be hindered by anything when delivering my hit? Maybe that was an exception???? Or maybe the circumstances were different because I was not running up to and behind some moving guard? I will be more alert to this however in future games to see if I too find this problem?

Don't have any words yet as to when he'll bring it up again...maybe wait till Fri night or this weekend? How's bout it LM...any thoughts?

Ta and Good Hunting!

LeatherMan
1st Aug 2002, 22:45
Originally posted by Salvage
I also don't like the arm obscuring the screen, maybe have the player arm a little bit transparent so we can see the unsuspecting victim.
The arm blocking your view is intentional so that Thieves don't run around the entire match with the blackjack charged.

OOps, Sorry for the guys I missed. With people coming and going is hard to keep track.

It is difficult, but luckily I have a server log. ;)

maybe wait till Fri night or this weekend? How's bout it LM...any thoughts?
Yes, I plan to run again Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, starting around 8pm Friday. Hope everyone can make it!

theBlackman
1st Aug 2002, 22:59
Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

I will do my best to join you all.

Thorin Oakenshield
1st Aug 2002, 23:14
What time are you on, eastern/central/mountain or pacific?
We UK taffers will have to stay up late:eek: :D

I'm looking forward to it... Thanks;)

Hawklette
1st Aug 2002, 23:19
Thanks for all the help and understanding you guys showed. Being a newbie at this type of thing kinda scared me at first until I realized it is really all in fun. I also can appreciate life from a rats point of view. LOL!!
Thanks Sneak I didn't really know who was who but glad I did okay. I think I need to play some more solo games to become more familiar with the maps and objectives. I will also try the guard side as I have no idea how their weapons work. I was so afaid I would get killed too fast and now I know I could have used up the lives of all. I wish that could be changed. Any way what a blast even as a rat!! Can't wait for the next time around.

BrokenArts
1st Aug 2002, 23:51
A few gentle nudges, from here and there. She'd like to join in on the fun. Room for one more? Where to begin.....ha :cool: :)

theBlackman
1st Aug 2002, 23:56
Originally posted by Thorin Oakenshield
What time are you on, eastern/central/mountain or pacific?
We UK taffers will have to stay up late:eek: :D

I'm looking forward to it... Thanks;)

Eastern Standard Time, I don't know what that works out to in GMT but This post is 4:51 my time which is 3 hours behind His.

So a little math on your part should clue you in. :D :p

It says all posta are GMT -8

bravus
2nd Aug 2002, 00:40
Hi Huntress

The BJ is kinda like the sword in reverse: if you just go in for a quick bonk (!) it goes upward and doesn't obscure your view, but if you hold it for a second or two it moves across your body for a more powerful 'roundhouse' shot. You arm is across in front of you to some extent, obscuring your view. I haven't played with it enough, but if a a stright up (i.e. quick) bonk is enough to knock out an unalerted guard, and a wound up sideways one is <b>not</b> enough to knock out an alerted guard, why would you ever need the sideways one?

Bravus

theBlackman
2nd Aug 2002, 01:01
Originally posted by bravus
Hi Huntress

why would you ever need the sideways one?

Bravus

The SUPER BONK!! takes out a guard with a Steel helmet. (unalerted that is) Other wise the SHG gets alerted and you are in deep manure. :D :p

Huntress
2nd Aug 2002, 01:06
be a fruitless alt action if not effective in it's use... :(

BA...there are many threads/comments relating to your question...have a look at UT questions from Hawklette as an example...I think you'll find most info you'll need in those :) However, your starting point is a copy of UT or UT-GOTY...if you haven't got it then you need to make a quick search to buy :) If you perchance to find a reg. retail ver. of UT then you'll need to patch it to 436..OK ;) Come back after that and reading Hawklette's threads and if you need more info...will be happy to provide. Ta and Good Hunting!

Sneak
2nd Aug 2002, 02:01
Hmm BA,
I will look for that extra copy of UT. If I have one it is yours! :)

Might be a bit slow for ya on Dial Up but ya can run around like a Rat too. Ha! :)

theBlackman
2nd Aug 2002, 02:03
Hmm BA,
I will look for that extra copy of UT. If I have one it is yours! :)

Might be a bit slow for ya on Dial Up but ya can run around like a Rat too. Ha! :)

Pshaw! You're such a sweetie you are. :D

Stile451
2nd Aug 2002, 02:17

The arm blocking your view is intentional so that Thieves don't run around the entire match with the blackjack charged.

Ah, that would be a bad thing. Even if it wasn't realistic this would be a good idea. Does this happen with the guards as well? I've never charged a weapon as a guard, heh.

I also appreciate you having the server up for us as well, see you all tomarrow.

Another question, in Residency(TH-Flats), how many ways through to the other side of town(you know, the place with all the loot) via the rooftops, do you know of? How many on the ground? I only know of one on the ground, and three on the rooftops.

BrokenArts
2nd Aug 2002, 02:37
Thanks Sneak. :) I would love to run around as a rat.... <small> are you trying to tell me something....:p</small>
And nibble at everyone's feet. Inflict....ahhhh my own damage. :D:p
Dial up won't be too bad, isn't more your computer than anything?

Stile451
2nd Aug 2002, 06:32
Info on Thievery beta 1.2 has been released: http://www.thieveryut.com/

3 new maps
Spectators can't be killed when following a player
Rats can be squished by players(stopping rats from giving away the thieves' positions)

I wanna play Asylum, looks so...creepy...and...disturbing.

bravus
2nd Aug 2002, 11:46
Ah, OK, tBM, now I get it - it's that helmet thing! I obviously haven't played around enough in the Thievery world, and am still carrying a lot of my assumptions from Thief across. So a light (vertical) tap will work for a bare-headed guard, but a guard in a helmet needs a roundhouse (horizontal) clonk to be taken down! That would explain the following sequence:

<i>Bravus creeps up behind an oblivious but helmeted guard, and raises his blackjack. <b>CLANG!!!</b>
Guard turns around and starts wailing on Bravus with his sword or mace, as Bravus is going 'What the...? I <b>got</b> him!</i>

;)

Thanx for the clarification,

Bravus

Sneak
2nd Aug 2002, 16:29
OK I want the patch and new missions. Butttt......How is this gonna effect getting on Leathermans server tonight?

Are ya gonna upgrade it Leatherman?

Sneak
2nd Aug 2002, 16:34
Opps, scratch the above. Is a Sneak Peek. Not released yet as can tell.

Gumdrop
2nd Aug 2002, 19:52
Well I had my first run through a few of the maps today and I like what I see so far. Love Squeaky mode ( ;) ), but it seems Garret has exchanged his tap shoes for a pair of Dr. Martins. :D

It's slower than I expected, and it feels a little klunky, but that might just be the sound fx. I'll be around at the weekend to play, but does anyone still play UT? Now I've got the game again, I forgot how much fun it is for a quick blast.

Huntress
2nd Aug 2002, 20:01
sometime Monday...so guess we'll all be busy doing you know what...LOL LM may not get it till after work or others of you..of course depending on what time it's released. So I would imagine whenever you see beta 1.2 on the multiplayer screen and you still have 1.1 yet...you probably wouldn't be able to play until you do upgrade...wouldn't be compatible and I would think the same thing in reverse...if you have 1.2 and he hasn't got his updated yet...still wouldn't be compatible...OK? :)

I don't like the idea however, of a rat being able to be squashed...even if they weren't being a nuisance as it were...just cause some Guard might want to be funny...? I don't think any of our people would do that, but then again, a couple of times guards have tried to see if they could kill me :( And who's to say when we are running around that we are necessarily following someone? We may just be trying to get from one place to another physically...why shouldn't we be able to explore without the fear that someone thinks that we may be following a player and then feel like maybe we're giving someone away? This is definately a double edged sword...so to speak :( Oh well...can't do anything about it but I just don't like it much...even more so if we go on someone else's server... :rolleyes:

Well that's my llittle rant and leave it at that...see ya later Taffers and oh by the way...think we're recruiting another player...Northren :) Ta and Good Hunting!

Sneak
2nd Aug 2002, 20:48
I may be on later tonight. Looks like it is Mexican Dinner and movie night! :D

Thorin Oakenshield
2nd Aug 2002, 23:21
I'm having probs with UT:( I think it doesn't like my w2k machine.
It tends to totally lock up my pc after a little while, Only a reset works. I know w2k isn't exactly a games OS but can anyone suggest something? Shall I put XP back on? Even though it means reinstalling all my software:rolleyes:

LeatherMan
2nd Aug 2002, 23:48
Originally posted by Thorin Oakenshield
I'm having probs with UT:( I think it doesn't like my w2k machine.
... can anyone suggest something?
Yes, go to a UT site and look for some fixes there. I'm sure it's been dealt with before.

Try these:
Unreal Tournament (official) (http://www.unrealtournament.com), Planet Unreal (http://www.planetunreal.com), Beyond Unreal (http://www.unrealtournament.org/), and 3D Gamers (http://www.3dgamers.com/games/unrealtourn/).

Hope you can get it fixed and join us soon!
-------

The server will be up in a few minutes ...

LeatherMan
3rd Aug 2002, 00:00
The server is back online!

See you there, but I will be late. I had to work late tonight and need to eat something (maybe some crunchy cheese or bread :D).

Thorin Oakenshield
3rd Aug 2002, 10:12
Well thanks to playing with you taffers last night it was 4am before my head hit the pillow:eek: :D
Thanks Everyone that played last night;) It was a hoot. I've not had that much fun in ages!:cool:
Huntress: That door was a challenge:o

Gumdrop
3rd Aug 2002, 12:40
I hope to catch some of you tonight. If Thorin was up at 4 this morning, then it looks like I'll be late for my moms sunday roast! :rolleyes: :D

LeatherMan
3rd Aug 2002, 14:57
Server Closed

Since you European taffers have a time disadvantage, I will start the server earlier today and tomorrow. Look for it around 5pm EST (10pm? your time). I hope this will help you some.

Once again, I had a blast! Thanks for playing.

BTW, the password, as simple as it is, works very well. 23 other players attempted to join the server at some point last night, and nobody got in (despite some who guessed several times). There will be no UT DeathMatchers!:D

Hawklette
3rd Aug 2002, 15:51
Will you let us know when the patch is available and when you will be changing to it please? I will keep checking here.
As far as death matches Sneak and Salvage did a number on me last night. AlsoI really didn't want to get Huntress twice in a row but couldn't tell who it was at a distance.
You really got by me at the last moment but I think I was the only guard left and I knew someone had to try for the house to get enough loot. Either a little rat told you, some invisiblity helped or both? I was running up and down the stairs trying to cover the whole area. Good work though you saved the day for the thieves. My legs are tired now from running those steps in armor!! LOL!!
Questions:
1.I tried to light a torch but kept dropping the flare.
2.What are those spike things called I have seen on the floor? Is that Caltrop and if not what is that?
3.When you are spectating and right click you are with different game players. Does this make a problem for them. In other words can I be seen and give them away. Can't have that! I was trying that instead of rat mode.
4.Do you think there may be an antidote for the paralizer as once hit close up your dead. It may as well be fast acting poision.

Last night, in the game you won, I was coming up from the kitchen and couldn't get through that door for a few minutes. It was throwing me back and closing. Wierd I thought maybe it was drugs. LOL!!
All for now and hope to see you soon. Thanks

bravus
3rd Aug 2002, 16:15
Hi Hawklette and everyone

I enjoyed the one game I played last night, and wish I could have played more, but I see Suzie so rarely during the week (she's routinely out working until 10:30 pm or later) that even the pleasure of your company pales in comparison to spending some time with her on Friday night! Will be in over the weekend, probably tonight, unless something social eventuates during today (spontaniety is great, but tough on planning for things like this!)

Hawklette, your nickname of 'Hawk' in the game made me think of the other Hawk I know on the net, a 58 year old male former Marine helicopter pilot who is a hacker!

Can't answer all your questions, but the little 'sharp pointy jacks' on the floor are caltrops. Thieves often wore metal soles called 'priests' over their shoes to protect against these: why 'priests'? Because they save your soles!

No, when you're riding the shoulder of a fellow player as an alternative to spectating as a rat, you're invisible, inaudible etc. It's a great way to learn technique from those more experienced!

I'm still having the weird echoey sound effect, and if I get to play a bit longer I'll see if I can fix that, but everything else seems to be going pretty well.

Taff you there later,

Bravus

LeatherMan
3rd Aug 2002, 16:20
Hawklette, lots of good questions.

If the 1.2 patch is released on the same day that I plan to run the server, I will not patch that day. I expect the patch to be several MB in size, and since several players are on dial-up, this will give them time to download it for the next time.

1. To light a torch, just stand underneath it with lit flare. If the torch is high, jumping may be necessary.
2. Those are caltrops.
3. Following other players via "chase-cam" is not a problem for them, they don't even know you are following.
4. The only antidote I know of for the Paralyse bolts are Flashbombs! (okay, they aren't antidotes, but they do give you a few moments for the paralysis to wear off ;))

You really got by me at the last moment but I think I was the only guard left and I knew someone had to try for the house to get enough loot. Either a little rat told you, some invisiblity helped or both? I was running up and down the stairs trying to cover the whole area.
I had gotten in upstairs, and was waiting near the door of the guest room listening for footsteps. Once they faded, I snuck into the hall, saw that the coast was clear, and shot up into the attic. Once I had my loot, you showed up and I ran past before you turned on the lights, then darted for the exit!

Last night, in the game you won, I was coming up from the kitchen and couldn't get through that door for a few minutes. It was throwing me back and closing. That sounds like a bug. Hopefully, it has been mentioned on the TUT forum and will be fixed. Otherwise, you may have been experiencing temporary connection problems.

Later!

Hawklette
3rd Aug 2002, 16:58
Thanks Bravus and LM for the help!!

Bravus maybe I should go back to Hawklette then. It was just shorter to type Hawk. Thanks for the info.

As far as the game last night it was difficult being the only guard left in a 4 floored house. I think I'm going to check that house out better later. Thanks for the game and I can see I need more time as a guard. I just don't like using up the lives for the other players. I will practice everyday on solo if I can. I loved it anyway!! Great fun and so real!! My heart was pounding!!
See you around hehehe!!:D

theBlackman
3rd Aug 2002, 17:53
Originally posted by Hawklette
Thanks Bravus and LM for the help!!

Bravus maybe I should go back to Hawklette then. It was just shorter to type Hawk. Thanks for the info.

As far as the game last night it was difficult being the only guard left in a 4 floored house. I think I'm going to check that house out better later. Thanks for the game and I can see I need more time as a guard. I just don't like using up the lives for the other players. I will practice everyday on solo if I can. I loved it anyway!! Great fun and so real!! My heart was pounding!!
See you around hehehe!!:D

Hawk is fine. Don't mess with a good thing. You ain't he and he don't play in our backyard.

All you guys were fun, I truly enjoyed the evening, and the courtesy shown by the players in stepping aside to spectate at times -when the area got crowded- to give everyone a chance.

A minor complaint, voiced also by at least one other player: If the RATS want to have thier own killing spree, go to it. But if a Spectator, such as my self, wants to just look, and so states, leave em alone. There is plenty of action you can engage in without playing "Son of Sam".

Beyond that it was a gas, and glad Thorin got in, although a short, wide, squat thief has got to have problems in the airducts. :D

Thanks again Leatherman

Thorin Oakenshield
3rd Aug 2002, 18:21
Originally posted by theBlackman

...and glad Thorin got in, although a short, wide, squat thief has got to have problems in the airducts. :D

Thanks again Leatherman

Lol:D I just managed to squeeze in;) I'll try and get on around 10pm GMT (BST) tonight.

If anyone ends up waiting too long and I'm playing then if you give me a yell I'll spectate for a while and give you a chance.

LeatherMan
3rd Aug 2002, 18:35
A minor complaint, voiced also by at least one other player: If the RATS want to have thier own killing spree, go to it. But if a Spectator, such as my self, wants to just look, and so states, leave em alone. There is plenty of action you can engage in without playing "Son of Sam".
This will be addressed in the next patch. If you are a rat and spectating via chase-cam, you cannot be killed. Problem solved.

Huntress
3rd Aug 2002, 20:21
games for all Taffers! :D Yes, it is great fun and as I responded to Hawkette's PM to me today...told her not to worry one bit...that's the nature of the game and how it's to be played...If I can get you I will :) LOL

Also the patch will fix the ability to spectate without being harmed when your on cam...and I've commented my views on this subject in another area...so I won't go into it again. ;)

Boy was that some EFFECT...getting hit with the crack arrow! My lord...whew! I guess just trying to move away from it as fast as you are able is another quicker way to get away from it effects. I did manage to do that somewhat when given the room to do so...but also swinging my sword around in case someone is nearby, etc. I think I did damage someone a little when I was in the street one time and managed to get away without getting BJ'd or killed :D But it's tough!

I think also maybe a general rule of thumb could be when we are playing and several are waiting to join in...is just to rotate around..thereby giving others a chance to play? This isn't a strict requirement offered...just a general option when playing so that everyone gets an opportunity to play? :) LM wish you could work out your server to be like UT's...maybe we should all chip in so you can buy another machine...LOL..well wishful thinking anyway! :p :D

So see ya later Thieves and Guards...and keep your guard up...I'll find you....sooner or later...:rolleyes: LOL Ta and Good Hunting!

Sneak
3rd Aug 2002, 20:25
I had an absolutely superb time last night as well. And I had big fun playing Guard with Salvage.

Looks like all the questions are answered above so I have a bit of fun to tell.

After everyone left last night it was KidGarrett and Myself left. I was a Thief and he was a Guard in Breakout. Ha! I wondered what he was gonna be up to. I was creeping through the prison and all of a sudden I hear all H3LL break loose upstairs. Sounded like Armegeddon with Fire Arrows. He musta loaded up with those flamers. Explosions everywhere. Everything everywhere went on alert and all alarms we sounded and gates closed. Guards going everywhere looking. Then I saw the prompts that Guards were biting the dust. He was toasting his own Guards Wahaha! Didn't know you could do that!

I thought Hmm, and slowly made my way upstairs to see the carnage. Door was open, no Guards to see. Slipped in, doused a Torch, and hugged a shadow!

All of a sudden I get this Shouting note on the screen which says: "I can lead you to all the loot and get the Guards out of the way!"

LMAO Hahahaha, I had a man on the inside. I saw no Guards at all but I could hear him giving them orders. Don't know what the orders were and I only saw him once as he flashed by after ordering a guard behind a bookcase in the Library. HAHA!

So I strolled through leisurely snagging the loot and then out to the Win!

My Thanks KidGarrett! :D

Next: Well one good deed deserves another. Can't remember the name of this map but is the one where you exit through the Barrel Vaults. I was a Guard this time and Kid Garrett was a Thief. We had a brief conversation and then I basically led all the Guards up onto the snow bank and left them, then I led KidGarrett around and he got all the loot and Won. ;)

So Slap me! Ha! What a Riot!

Then I went to bed at about 4.

So who wants to be the Traitor on the inside tonight? I will give ya half the loot! ;)

Today is my sisters Bday so we are Bar B Queing this evening! I won't be on til later but I will be there. :)

theBlackman
3rd Aug 2002, 20:35
LM Huntress has a good Idea.

What is the minimum you need to set a server. I have a dozen machines. Some are 386/486 and some are AMD 750 or greater.

I will be happy to send you one with CPU, CASE, and RAM if you can use it. You pay shipping and I'll donate the unit.

Tell me what you can use and mayhap I'll have a system or enough parts for your use. You would have to do the HDD unless you can use a stack of 500 meg units strung together.

LeatherMan
3rd Aug 2002, 21:41
A very generous offer indeed, tBm, let me get back to you on that one.

In the meantime,

Server is open!

See you there!

RiCh
3rd Aug 2002, 21:45
Noob question I’m sorry but I’ve only just install UT and Thievery! Looks amazing :D and you all look like you’re having fun. I’ve had a quick blast online had a okish ping. So I’ll give this server a go but what’s the name and the password please? Cheers

ah I've found the server Huntress and leatherman are kicking a$$ :D

Stile451
3rd Aug 2002, 21:54
Sent you a PM RiCh with the server name and password.

RiCh
3rd Aug 2002, 22:04
PM'ed you back Salvage cheers m8!

RiCh
3rd Aug 2002, 22:59
MMMMM just my luck :( I keep on getting this message while trying to run Thievery now ‘THAUX not responding’ and Thievery crashes or even tries to run unreal tourney AND thievery as well?? Don’t know what I’ve done wrong as I was having a mess online before I meet up with you peeps earlier and everything seemed fine then. I’ve done something wrong messing around with it but who knows what? But I think I’ll re-install them both again and try again sometime! Anyway it was nice hooking up with you guys for the few minutes I was there, this does look like a lot of fun and I hope you have a good game 2nite! At least I’ve saved myself form a blackjacking for one more night :D

LeatherMan
3rd Aug 2002, 23:03
RiCh, there is a known bug with connecting from Favorites. If you put the server in fav's don't connect from there. Use Open Location or connect from one of the other tabs.

Hawklette
3rd Aug 2002, 23:12

This will be addressed in the next patch. If you are a rat and spectating via chase-cam, you cannot be killed. Problem solved.

Happy to hear this and yes I could read it!! LOL!!:D

Thorin Oakenshield
4th Aug 2002, 00:50
Once again I've had a blast playing with you taffers.
I must appologise to Kid Garrett:rolleyes: I asked him to kill me and lured him to the grave yard and BAM!!!:D Good Night! Not once but twice:D Ahem!!!:)

Thanks Everyone and special thanks to LM for the server;)

Ahh... time for bed:o

RiCh
4th Aug 2002, 08:01
Ah thanks Leatherman, yep that’s what I’m doing wrong, I’d put your server in my favourites and was trying to launch from there. After all this is still only a beta version so we can expect to find some bugs. I just had a quick blast online again and everything seems ok again. This mod’s going to make the wait for T3 so much easier now :D

I’ve also just install ‘Nali Pali’ too, Huntress says that’s also a very good mod, didn’t think I'd ever install UT again, shows how much I know :D

Cheers

Sneak
4th Aug 2002, 15:25
Well I missed it last night! Bummer! But still had fun at my sister Bday Bar B Que. Was worn out when I got home so I crashed.

Hope you all had fun!

Tonight I am gonna be there! :D

Huntress
4th Aug 2002, 18:08
just give a whistle and I'll be right there :) Just make sure you enable "oldskool" in the mutators then start sologame and config for your key binds, etc. No pick for player type/skin as it has a default. You can even pick your own music to play when watching flyby, etc. Look for NP titles in listing besides other UT music. Only plays one at a time but is a nice option that I use :) Then when you want to play Thievery or maybe even UT on LM's other server..disable "Oldskool"...and you'll get UT's files back in order...like Darkloader when you change from FM's to OM files to clean it up. There are a few servers up for multiplayer if you want to do that after playing SP...so make sure you finish SP first or it will spoil the game if you go into multiplayer before doing so.

So have fun with ONP and depending on which mode of difficulty you play you will open cerrtain secrets/rewards when you finish it. Play Easy, open the first one; Play hard, open two...the one for easy and the one for hard, etc. I'm playing hard. Also as I wrote to theBlackman, and this is after you've played some to have an idea of what and how it plays, click on the credits in the start/config window (which you have to use start a new game with) you'll get a very unique way to check out the contributors to this game. It's another mini game with secrets to find as you go along...very fun to do. Don't know how many secrets there are and think I found one but didn't find out till after I had done it once. Will probably do it again sometime to check closer. As of now, I'm almost at the end to fight with the "final" Big Boss! Eyaahhhh! He is tough as I've seen him in multiplay..gonna be reloading a lot! :D See ya in Thievery and Good Hunting!

RiCh
4th Aug 2002, 21:41
Thanks for the tips on ONP Huntress :) Sounds great! Haven’t had chance to play any of it yet, as I’ve been out most of today playing football. And I’m absolutely shattered now, must be getting too old for all of this running around :D I’d like to stay up and have a blast on Thievery with you but I have to be up early 2morrow, work and all :( So I’m off 2bed now. Will you be running the server during the week LeatherMan? If so, I’ll hope to see you all then.

Night Night

Stile451
4th Aug 2002, 21:48
I believe it'll be running monday and wendnesday. Leatherman said he's planning on running the server on the night the patch is released(which is monday) but will not run the patched server that day. I'm guessing on wednesday :).

LeatherMan
4th Aug 2002, 22:03
No, Salvage, that's not what I meant.

If the 1.2 patch is released on the same day that I plan to run the server, I will not patch that day. I expect the patch to be several MB in size, and since several players are on dial-up, this will give them time to download it for the next time.
Nobody said that the patch would be released on Monday, just that it goes to internal testing then, and should be released soon after. If it is released on Wednesday, the server will not be patched that day, but would be patched by Friday, the next time I run the server. Friday release = Saturday patched, etc.

RiCh, I plan to keep the same schedule with the server for now, so Wed, Fri, Sat, Sun, starting ~8pm EST Wed and Fri, hopefully earlier on Sat and Sun. Hope you can join sometime!

In the meantime, the server is up now, so see you there!

Stile451
4th Aug 2002, 22:10
Whoops, jumbled information=not good.

But I was right about wednesday. :p

Huntress
4th Aug 2002, 22:55
Thievery was up but found there was a problem with UT's server and was going to try and see what's up....said Thievery might crash and to reconnect. Just checked again and he's up and running...so get in there Thieves and ohhh Guards too :D

bravus
5th Aug 2002, 02:40
OK, the plan was to drop out for a few minutes, or half an hour max, and set up the DVD drive in the kids computer so they'd stop kicking me off this machine to watch videos, and hence making me miss out on Thievery! As usual, I was way too optimistic in my estimates of the simplicity of computer stuff. It looks as though their video card (a 16 MB Voodoo Banshee) just doesn't have the 'grunt' to play videos - I've been working on it for two hours now without success, and am trying one last thing before I give up...

Looks like the DVD drive has to come back into this computer, then (probably) one be bought for my laptop so the kids can watch movies on that. That has the added advantage of being usable in the car...

So, again, sorry I missed out on joining in for long: I did try! It's never for lack of wanting to, just that the family comes first, so if they're doing something I'm doing it with them rather than gaming... Anyway, I'll be back (said in best Arnie voice).

Bravus

Sneak
5th Aug 2002, 05:18
Was fun as usual! Thanks again Leatherman for the server!

We die a lot but we have fun! HA! :D

One of these days and I mean one of these days I am gonna shoot TBM with a crack arrow! Waha!

Salvage, twas fun on the grass at the Theater! :) Was a no win for me but I had to keep trying the same way! Too much fun! I should stay away from you after throwing a Flashie! Ya blindly swing that Mace like a Wild Man and I keep biting the dust! ;) Next time I will stand back and watch the dance!

theBlackman
5th Aug 2002, 05:25

One of these days and I mean one of these days I am gonna shoot TBM with a crack arrow! Waha!

No need I run into the damn cloud myself. :D :D
The disadvantage compared to the Paralysis arrow is a Thief cannot club you when the Crack arrow is in use. If he gets near he gets gassed.

BTW did you enjoy your dance with the Crack arrows. :p

I would like to see the Crack arrow go away or Knock a quard out.
Give the thief the P arrow also and it would even it up a bit.

The P arrow only affects the target. The Crack arrow affects everyone.

Comparing the effectiveness of the Long Range tools, the Guards have a heavy advantage. :D

LeatherMan
5th Aug 2002, 05:40
Once again, I had a blast!

Sneak, somehow Salvage beat me on Aquatone after you left, and I never saw him! At least I had fun positioning the guards. :rolleyes:

Wednesday, I will set a 35 minute time limit on all maps. I thought most had a 30 min time limit, but have found out otherwise (35 since TH-Spider has 45 default). I may even try out Co-Op or ThiefMatch (if they work correctly). Once again, if there are some maps that nobody wants I can remove it from the cycle.

I will start a new thread Wednesday when I start the server again. This one is getting bloated!

Stile451
5th Aug 2002, 05:46
Sneak, what other defence do I have after losing my sight. Gotta keep moving and running into a wall isn't really an option. May as well try my luck while running around like a beheaded chicken. :D

Last game was really fun(for me anyway, Leatherman didn't see any action). It was Aquatone and I won as a thief, I think Leatherman is all confuzzled about how I did it, so here is the answer:

I got all the loot from the guest rooms and the surrounding area, same with the evidence(I got lucky there was enough evidence around there). I watched Leatherman set up one of the AI(the one against the wall, which I did KO as I needed to get to the library. I got him by coming at him from the right, which I got to through the door via one of the ducts that goes to the bar). The other two were the one guarding the elevator(1) and the one patrolling the hallway(2). I didn't turn out any of the lights until I went into the library because I figured there would be an AI in there(I was kind of disappointed that there wasn't one there). As the saying goes, the best place to hide a letter is on the mantlepiece.

This wouldn't have been possible if there were any more human guards.

Leatherman, if the offer for the ram is still open I'll take it with gratitude.

theBlackman
5th Aug 2002, 05:48
f u cn rd ths, u cn b a cmputr prgrmmr.

I can read it but why would eye wont 2 bee 1? :D

Mucho fun guys. Sorry I didn't get a chance to hang around. My sound went out and the wife needed some care. Thanks for the mis-match. :D

Huntress
5th Aug 2002, 05:55
tBM...I think Thieves should be allowed the use of P arrows since they aren't supposed to really try and do hand to hand fighting but need something other than a crack arrow to temporarily put a guard out of commission while they try to excape. Particularly in the Prison level...that is just too stacked against them. LM did a pretty good job one time and almost made it...but had to die a few times even to have a chance at it...run like hell...put out as many torches as you can and maybe get a guard or two...once your out the door, die and try it again...no way to make it I don't think any other way. Unless you really load up on crack arrows a few flash bombs, a lockpick, couple of invis and some health potions.

However, the idea of having more exits put into it would sure help even the game out more as well I think...as it is...since there's only two ways...when you play it then as a guard...exit ways are stacked and the odds get too rediculous to make it a fair shot. Even in RL...guards would be patroling with maybe one or even two stationed nearby not 3 or 4 right at the door just waiting for you. So it really isn't setup to give a thief much of a chance in beating it. I do think this is the worst one for good gameplay...just too tough the way it's layed out right now IMHO. I wonder how many players actually succeed and how many times? Don't think it's very much...?

Well that's my little thoughts on the matter and hopefully someone will make a few adjustments to this map...cause otherwise it could be a pretty fun level to play...at least I think so. Ta and Good Hunting!

Hawklette
5th Aug 2002, 15:45
I noticed that last time I played Aquatone with all of you that the guards, with all the bulky and heavy armor, were crouched and moving through the ducts setting traps. This takes the thieves only advantage and safe area away. Maybe I'm too whimpy but I think we need a few safe zones.

Huntress
5th Aug 2002, 19:53
you have a valid point on that score. Guards don't usually go in air ducts...sewers are entirely possible for them to be there...but not air shafts...I sure hope someone puts these comments in particular on the Thievery boards :) They should see some of this from our side as well as from TTLG side of things? Of course I know your going to say...well post over there...however that takes double typing of the same thing and not all this thread deals with suggies for Thievery and would not be appropriate for linking. :) Ta and Good Hunting!

Squid
6th Aug 2002, 06:49
From what I've heard, they're adding another staircase and a vent access to the upper levels of Breakout. That would make it 4 ways to get up there. Should make things much more balanced.

Squid

Huntress
6th Aug 2002, 11:38
good solution...since it's fairly difficult to get through the halls anyway plus the added feat of having to get loot on the way out besides...it could improve the thieves chances of a win a little more often :)

I've been reading some of the posts at TTLG's site for Thievery and what a bunch of silly comments toward each other and playing this game. A lot of it centered around the taking the role of Guard...for heaven's sake :( As someone did say...each class has their special elements to learn how to use effectively. And why these ppl can't simply take turns as we basically do to give everyone an equal chance of playing both roles...? As tBm remarked recently..."you like/enjoy playing a rat, etc." and my reply was simply...I'm learning as I do. It's an excellent opportunity to explore and watch other ppl's tactics so that I might take something of value from it. :) So I don't think taking turns as a rat is so terrible either...but then that's the difference between us older folk and the kids that play this game....Such is Life! :D

I do have one question that's been confusing me. When playing the Spider game...those switches...I thought they had to be down (off postion) to open the spiders cages? One that I was guarding recently was in the up position but the notice came through that protecting the switches had failed and spiders were let loose? Could someone clarify the postion that swiches should be in to fulfill that objective? Another time I was guarding a switch that I thought was still not tampered with...and it was in the down postion...message said same thing...objective not met..so this is why I'm not uderstanding which is correct. :confused: Ta and Good Hunting!

Stile451
6th Aug 2002, 16:30
The switch that releases the spiders is the one visible from the courtyard. I can't remember what position the other switches need to be in to open the gates.

Huntress
6th Aug 2002, 17:53
I was trying to protect recently and as I said it was in the up position and thought it was still untouched..and highlighted...the other one at one time (in the corner upstairs was facing down and would not highlight as it had been changed by a thief). There are three in all that have to be thrown...and as a matter of fact..I'm not sure where the third one is for sure but I think it's upstairs near the watchers somewhere? So question is still open...what position to still be active? Ta and Good Hunting! :)

Hawklette
7th Aug 2002, 02:24
Back to Aquatone again. I decided to play it solo and see what I could do. Went to the elevator shaft and opened the door. There was a guard with his back to me. I should have been able to down him but he got me and killed me. I came back and went to the same location and knocked him out. So I know I complained that the guards shouldn't be able to access the duct work. Here's what happened. I picked up my stuff with the dead thief body and tossed the body down where the stairs are no problem. I went back and picked up the guard to do the same. LOL he doesn't fit!!!!!!!!!!!

A comment on the spider thing. I played on solo the other night and was attacked and killed by these so called helpful spiders after it walked right by a guard. The guard was moving and I didn't understand why the spider didn't go for him.

Am I complaining NO!! I just am tired of hearing how fair this game is and wonder why so many avid Thief players now want to be guards???????

Stile451
7th Aug 2002, 02:46
To dump the AI down the hole in Aquatone you need to be right near the edge, maybe you even have to lean over it. Then you look down and toss the guard.:D

The three switches in Spider: there are two up in the walkways, both of which can be seen from the open area. The third is down the ladder(an AI patrols it) near the entrance to the tunnels, you can see it through the grating or the hole in the open area looking to the tunnels.;)

theBlackman
7th Aug 2002, 03:42
Originally posted by Hawklette
he doesn't fit!!!!!!!!!!!

A comment on the spider thing. I played on solo the other night and was attacked and killed by these so called helpful spiders after it walked right by a guard. The guard was moving and I didn't understand why the spider didn't go for him.

Question: Were you a guard or a Thief?

Blue spiders kill thieves, ignore guards.
Red spiders KILL EVERYBODY.

Hawklette
7th Aug 2002, 04:05
I guess everyone missed my point. I was in the same place when I threw MY dead thief body down as when I tried to throw the guard down. If the guards can be so agile in the ducts why then did the thief body fall easily and the guard did not.

Hawklette
7th Aug 2002, 19:14

Question: Were you a guard or a Thief?

Blue spiders kill thieves, ignore guards.
Red spiders KILL EVERYBODY.

I was a thief and it was a red one that got me. :mad::D